2020 Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) Predictions

What is that? 7 kids holding D-I offers entering next season? CCHS ever had that? Plus I know several others who will eventually have offers as well.

And the very talented rising sophomore from Waite (Clark).

Who predicted this early last year? hmmm.. When Rolly was intimating a Waite transfer without actually saying who, I kind of set Clark aside. I thought he was talking about the JV PG. THAT's the kid you want. He's a better Floyd on the offensive side. I didn't see enough to judge if he's Floyd on the defensive side.

I like the Waite b-ball coach. I think if he can stop the bleeding, he will equal up to the other Coach P graduates. Losing Clark is not a fate he deserved. But football has been a crapfest for awhile now and Clark is an even rarer talent there. Can't blame Clark. Waiting to see how the new guy pans out is a bit of a risk at that talent level. The new guy Peacock has good ties to the neighborhood and seems to have a great demeaner but I think is unknown is a few important areas. I think he's more of a quiet guy, quite a contrast with the last three. I don't know his x's and o skills. I hope he can get the trust of the kids and build a system and stop the bleeding also. The bleeding goes more on the school than any success at voucher U. Until the neighborhoods see involvement from school staff in the neighborhoods, parents are simply not going to trust sending their kids to schools that teach all God's children. They forget, it was Central Catholic that had the shooting on school grounds. ;)

Clark no doubt. Everything I ever saw on the field or court said mature. Skills are everywhere. Throw the ball flat-footed whereever you ask him to, with pretty good timing and he seemed very smart to me. But of course, I never got to see him against a top line defense or with a top-line offense. Things will move faster. Maybe too willing to sacrifice his body but I think everything Kizer in football and more in bball. In basketball I did get to see him against Lima. He stayed within the gameplan but as it got out of hand and he was given free reign by the coaching, he did whatever he wanted regards handling the ball, driving and passing. Outside shot, I do not know. He really only had one other player near enough his level to work with so how he will do with 5-7 capable, I don't know but it will be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Who predicted this early last year? hmmm.. When Rolly was intimating a Waite transfer without actually saying who, I kind of set Clark aside. I thought he was talking about the JV PG. THAT's the kid you want. He's a better Floyd on the offensive side. I didn't see enough to judge if he's Floyd on the defensive side.

I like the Waite b-ball coach. I think if he can stop the bleeding, he will equal up to the other Coach P graduates. Losing Clark is not a fate he deserved. But football has been a crapfest for awhile now and Clark is an even rarer talent there. Can't blame Clark. Waiting to see how the new guy pans out is a bit of a risk at that talent level. The new guy Peacock has good ties to the neighborhood and seems to have a great demeaner but I think is unknown is a few important areas. I think he's more of a quiet guy, quite a contrast with the last three. I don't know his x's and o skills. I hope he can get the trust of the kids and build a system and stop the bleeding also. The bleeding goes more on the school than any success at voucher U. Until the neighborhoods see involvement from school staff in the neighborhoods, parents are simply not going to trust sending their kids to schools that teach all God's children. They forget, it was Central Catholic that had the shooting on school grounds. ;)

Clark no doubt. Everything I ever saw on the field or court said mature. Skills are everywhere. Throw the ball flat-footed whereever you ask him to, with pretty good timing and he seemed very smart to me. But of course, I never got to see him against a top line defense or with a top-line offense. Things will move faster. Maybe too willing to sacrifice his body but I think everything Kizer in football and more in bball. In basketball I did get to see him against Lima. He stayed within the gameplan but as it got out of hand and he was given free reign by the coaching, he did whatever he wanted regards handling the ball, driving and passing. Outside shot, I do not know. He really only had one other player near enough his level to work with so how he will do with 5-7 capable, I don't know but it will be fun to watch.
I've said on here for years that I will never begrudge anyone for bettering themselves. Clark is definitely bettering himself. The last couple classes at Waite had some real players and they have been squandered and no one is to blame other than Waite admins. TPS chit show = CCHS gain.

As much as CCHS' model bothers me, and as much as the local rag will not point out their clear recruitment and using vouchers as scholarships for stud athletes, I'm glad there is a place where star athletes can go and hopefully better their futures. Catch 22. ;)

I've said on here for years that I will never begrudge anyone for bettering themselves. Clark is definitely bettering himself.

He didn't better himself by moving to CCHS. Maybe some more athletic opportunity due to the opposition he'll play but in general, a step back, for sure. Obviously he avoided an opportunity to improve that "chit show" but families have to have that right. If he works hard, he can make up for the three steps back. He can start by comparing the diversity of the HOFs in the field houses. Perhaps that will motivate him to take this opportunity to wave that flag, that CCHS only saw the advantages of equal opportunity when they realized it would benefit their sports teams.

Wait until they realize, some of the largest donations come from former band members. Yikes, tuba vouchers!

Last edited:
He didn't better himself by moving to CCHS. Maybe some more athletic opportunity due to the opposition he'll play but in general, a step back, for sure. Obviously he avoided an opportunity to improve that "chit show" but families have to have that right. If he works hard, he can make up for the three steps back. He can start by comparing the diversity of the HOFs in the field houses. Perhaps that will motivate him to take this opportunity to wave that flag, that CCHS only saw the advantages of equal opportunity when they realized it would benefit their sports teams.

Wait until they realize, some of the largest donations come from former band members. Yikes, tuba vouchers!
Due to the new voucher model St. Francis crunched the numbers and figured they could drop their enrollment by $1,000 and still come out ion top.

Kudos to AW for opening with a TRAC non-league schedule. Findlay will be improved and have the best college prospect in the league in Sophmore Montgomery. SJJ has the #1 rated QB in Ohio and a stud WR and SFS is saying all around town this is their best team in decades. AW might start 0-3 and then sweep the NLL, which will prove how far the league has fallen.

I've said on here for years that I will never begrudge anyone for bettering themselves. Clark is definitely bettering himself. The last couple classes at Waite had some real players and they have been squandered and no one is to blame other than Waite admins. TPS chit show = CCHS gain.

As much as CCHS' model bothers me, and as much as the local rag will not point out their clear recruitment and using vouchers as scholarships for stud athletes, I'm glad there is a place where star athletes can go and hopefully better their futures. Catch 22. ;)
Just to be clear, you want the local rag to do a story on CCHS breaking no rules, school choice is a legal process. And to be clear, families apply for the school choice scholarship on their own and can apply that to any private school accepting the school choice program. It's not like somebody is faking a divorce, living in a 1 bedroom apartment with their adult son so they can play at a closed district school. And going back home on weekends and cleaning the house and keeping the yard tidy.

Just to be clear, you want the local rag to do a story on CCHS breaking no rules, school choice is a legal process. And to be clear, families apply for the school choice scholarship on their own and can apply that to any private school accepting the school choice program. It's not like somebody is faking a divorce, living in a 1 bedroom apartment with their adult son so they can play at a closed district school. And going back home on weekends and cleaning the house and keeping the yard tidy.
Just to be clear. 225 boys grades 10-12 and entering the season you have 7 kids with D-I offers. That does not just happen. There are probably 15 more on the roster that at some point will garner D-I/D-II attention (Clark, Johnson for sure). Using the EdChoice system to cherry pick athletes was not the intent. Take one, take em all, not just the ones that run fast and jump high.

BTW, your basketball team is catching up to Dempsey. Recruiting everyone and everywhere.

Just to be clear. 225 boys grades 10-12 and entering the season you have 7 kids with D-I offers. That does not just happen. There are probably 15 more on the roster that at some point will garner D-I/D-II attention (Clark, Johnson for sure). Using the EdChoice system to cherry pick athletes was not the intent. Take one, take em all, not just the ones that run fast and jump high.

BTW, your basketball team is catching up to Dempsey. Recruiting everyone and everywhere.
How do you cherry pick when it’s available to every kid in a failing district, like Washington Local as an example. It’s not that hard to understand, the families execute the application for the School Choice Scholarship, not the schools. Also, who are Clark and Johnson, you got me on those 2.
Hoops finally getting some kids? Who’s coming?

In my estimation, I give credit to schools like Central and Whitmer. Those schools sell themselves.

Without Edchoice and its arbitrary and consistently moving guidelines, one of them would be part of the Mercy Hospital chain or Cherry St. Mission Part II. That's not much of a sales talk.

Easy google MCF
Ohio history of vouchers

or were you refering to the decline in applications and enrollment for Central? Or of the abandonment of the feeder schools for the more marketable, post development secondary? Or their historically whitewashed enrollment? That can be seen on their "HOF" walk in the basketball arena easy enough but other than that, I wouldn't know where to look outside of the school's own records.

Just saying, there is NO comparison between Whitmer and Central Catholic regards service, academics or athletics. Isn't Whitmer still one of the few remaining closed systems, as pure as it gets? Even Ottawa Hills now accepts out of district, for the right fee. Anyone here actually think Washington Local isn't marketable at every type of education, not to mention socially accepting all classes and cultures?

I don't know; I'm still of the mindset Central's history was fairly solid before all of this.

I embrace excellence. It's up to others, minus Whitmer, to get their stuff together.

I don't know; I'm still of the mindset Central's history was fairly solid before all of this.

I embrace excellence. It's up to others, minus Whitmer, to get their stuff together.

To embrace excellence. Well who would say they don't? I suppose you do have some morality you include in that embrace? It's not as simple a statement as a one-liner can make it appear. Whitmer sells itself. It's a closed district that its inhabitants can choose or not.

If not for political maneuvering to prop up privately run schools, Central would have gone out of business. At best they've survived on the failures of other schools, not on their own success.

Central has never done anything negative to me personally. I've worked with a few of their faculty over the years. Nothing ground-breaking was going on that I saw but I enjoyed the interactions. They were simply losing the numbers game. And perhaps the management game.

My comments are just based upon how I recall the numbers being in the early 2000s. IB has provided more up-to-date through the years. "Central Public" was considered the academic dog of local private schools and becoming moreso. Truth or myth? ? Their and Stritch's only advantage being co-ed and that wasn't enough to keep them viable. They had failed to create the necessary endowment to support even the smaller population, their alums apparently weren't so impressed with their experience that they saw value in investing or just as likely (from personal experience), whoever's relative was in charge of fund raising was thinking more about buying pencils than survival of the school. And then there's the matter of who they let in the doors, historically. If that's "excellence" to any individual, so be it.

Last edited:
Don't hate the player, hate the game. I'm definitely no fan of the model, but inner-city Catholic schools like Central Catholic are doing what they have to do to keep their doors open. Building and maintaining athletic excellence in select sports is the most reliable way for them to skim enrollment from TPS via the voucher program and to draw enrollment from elsewhere that would otherwise choose SJJ, SFS, etc.

Your cart is leading your horse. And sabotaging other schools in order to cover-up for your deficiencies, does that still fall into the "Don't hate the player, hate the game" category for you? I know of no evidence Central was succeeding academically. Their reputation amongst those in the market for private/Catholic run schools resulted in them being last option. They and schools like them did not have to play on the same testing field. IB a few months ago posted data showing the ed choice students at the local private schools were state testing poorly relative to the public districts from which they had vouchered. That sound like "excellence" to you? Before tax monies go to private entities to provide essential services, they normally have to demonstrate an ability to better provide that service. Education appears to be an exception.

Central's survival is an example of corporate bail-out, not excellence by any educational standard. I've no problem with Central surviving. I think it's important Central survive, in the right way. My problem is that it was on public monies, wasn't based upon their educational performance or their alumni sacrifice and was at the expense of removing positive synergies from other struggling districts. They survived the marketing tool at the expense of the primaries. And philisophically, I do not believe that model is Christian. Christians serve the most in need, first. They take the hard cases, not the money cases.

Last edited:
Getting awfully sensitive. I've previously helped coach at a school that has been one of the biggest losers in the Central Catholic voucher poaching. I'm no fan of them by any means. I think it's pretty clear that the "excellence" that draws voucher students there is football and other select sports where they've created a better product and experience than TPS has to offer. It has little to nothing to do with academics for most.

IMO the voucher system is a scam and it needs to go away. The only thing worse than the voucher program is charter schools sucking money from traditional public schools, and in effect almost always making the traditional publics worse while also producing poor results themselves.

Central Catholic is more or less getting a bailout via vouchers, but I can't blame them for taking what's available. Without vouchers they probably would have gone under by now due to their location and most of the "traditional" Catholic church and school families having long ago relocated to the suburbs. On the free market for full paying customers a school on Cherry Street is going to struggle competing against schools fortunate enough to have addresses such as Airport Highway.

Moralizing is great. Teaching kids life skills that are fun, bit of genious right there. Hopefully Mechanics without borders will see that article and not be shy about jumping in.