Recreational Golf 2020

Got my 1st 9 holes in yesterday, typical up and down early round but generally speaking played well. As usual the rough was high at this time of the year and the grass is starting to go to seed in Northern Ohio so it was also thick. The rule of the day was to stay in the fairway.

Got my 1st 9 holes in yesterday, typical up and down early round but generally speaking played well. As usual the rough was high at this time of the year and the grass is starting to go to seed in Northern Ohio so it was also thick. The rule of the day was to stay in the fairway.
Years ago, I read a Nicklaus article that suggested playing the first round of the season with only a five-iron and putter. I did that and had my best round ever up to that point. Always on the short stuff. (Well, I sure hope so)! Not uncommon for me to play the first hole that way, eons later.

Addendum: Thanks to J.N.'s A Lesson Tee for teaching me the game as a young punk. It helped me as both a player and a caddie.

Last edited:
Two of us played Sleepy on Saturday, getting around in 2:45. No one holding us up and no one pushing us.

We ended up with 5 guys today, figuring we'd let any one pass. We followed a twosome, who must've either been really bad, or were playing two balls. We started out a hold behind them and finished two behind them. A twosome was coming down 11 as we were on 12 and we had planned on letting them through on 12, but for some reason, we never held them up, and we did some searching for balls.

My first round of the season today at Windmill Lakes—home of the Kent State Golden Flashes Golf team (unfortunately, the women’s team was not there like last time I played there...hubba, hubba!). Ones and Ones’ Cuz were the gracious host to my first ever golfing foray in the era a COVID-19.

I played well for the first time out, with a grip adjustment on my driver really helping. Ones was his typical steady self, especially on the back nine, and Ones’ Cuz probably had a scorecard of 63728443 347685738.

despite everyone getting a cart, one lone threesome of older dudes who were really dragging in the heat and humidity slowed down the entire course for the front nine. Evidently, they fainted from heat exhaustion while restocking Gatorades at the turn, enabling a much brisker back nine for the four groups idling behind them. Other highlight was a real well-dressed, Tiger-Woods-fit, Young buck in the group ahead of us Playing from the tips. By the time we caught up with his group during the front nine slog, we had the privilege of watching his game. His first two shots on a modest par-three went into a parallel hole‘s fairway; the next tee shot went about 63 yards (We stepped it off). He left at the turn, too (though no idea if it was him throwing in the towel, or also fainting with the old, slow, weary threesome ahead of all of us).

No such complaint about, nor embarrassment from, my partners—a terrific day on a well-maintained course!

Last edited:
My first round of the season today at Windmill Lakes—home of the Kent State Golden Flashes Golf team (unfortunately, the women’s team was not there like last time I played there...hubba, hubba!). Ones and Ones’ Cuz were the gracious host to my first ever golfing foray in the era a COVID-19.

I played well for the first time out, with a grip adjustment on my driver really helping. Ones was his typical steady self, especially on the back nine, and Ones’ Cuz probably had a scorecard of 63728443 347685738.

despite everyone getting a cart, one lone threesome of older dudes who were really dragging in the heat and humidity slowed down the entire course for the front nine. Evidently, they fainted from heat exhaustion while restocking Gatorades at the turn, enabling a much brisker back nine for the four groups idling behind them. Other highlight was a real well-dressed, Tiger-Woods-fit, Young buck in the group ahead of us Playing from the tips. By the time we caught up with his group during the front nine slog, we had the privilege of watching his game. His first two shots on a modest par-three went into a parallel hole‘s fairway; the next tee shot went about 63 yards (We stepped it off). He left at the turn, too (though no idea if it was him throwing in the towel, or also fainting with the old, slow, weary threesome ahead of all of us).

No such complaint about, nor embarrassment from, my partners—a terrific day on a well-maintained course!

As usual, another fun outing with Myron. It was just like old times, the needling, the comments about others' games, the stories that are retold each year, and, occasionally, some good golf shots.

Windmill is not an easy course to play, especially with the tough greens, but Myron quickly solved them with several great lag putts.

No houses were hit, even with the "mansions" on the fourth hole, which we commented about.

We even commented that Clark will have to get out with us. We'd surely keep him entertained.

I look forward to the next outing with Myron.

I'd have bet on someone dressing more like the Tiger King than Tiger Woods in Portage County! You two should have looked up Myron's Pro-V honeys while you were in Portage County!

I haven't been to Windmill in 2 or 3 years. Play must be down a little as I am getting emails with open tee times.

Looking forward to hooking up with you guys some day.

Played the local dog track late Saturday, Highland Park, and the guy told me because they were open in early spring when other were not they got a nice infusion of $s to help kick start the year. So what was once a borderline cow pasture is now somewhat playable with more improvements on the way. The layout is actually 4 star; it hosted the Cleveland Open when it was thing in the '60s and at 6740 yards with par at 71 that is solid for a muni course. I actually played well too which makes it even better.

Damn rain! I wasn't able to get out this morning.

Yesterday, four of us were getting ready to head up to the first tee box, at 9:00, when we noticed the Wednesday morning church group ready to go. Fearing the worst, we flew to the tee box. Thank God!

As we putted out on 3, we looked over to 1 and noticed that they had a sixsome. That is not s typo, a sixsome.

We completed our 18 at noon and as we came through the tunnel to head to the parking lot, this crew was just coming onto to the 9th green. Yes, a three hour 9.

I will give them credit, as they are all very, very nice guys. Yes, they really are all nice guys. Good golfers, no. Bad golfers, not even that, About five or six years ago an old friend played with them and asked me if I want to join them. I was alone that day and decided to play. Outside of my friend, who probably shot in the low to mid 50's, the next lowest man HAD to have shot over 60. As nice as they were, that made for a LONG morning.

I was invited to play Alliance Country Club this morning. Wheeew. Even through we played from the silver, there were still 400+ yard par 4's. Not an easy task when you're my age. There are also back to back Par 5's. None of the par 3's are picnics, either. It was fun to play, but it wasn't a confidence builder.

Shale Creek (Medina) today, with a medium-size work group. Still one of the better public golf experiences in NE Ohio, coupled with my Tee Time pass discount. Not sure if it was the heat, or the ‘rona, but there were NOT many people out there: sixteen golfers on the entire course in the four hours we were there this morning. Wondering what the play has been like at other higher-price/quality places so far this summer, if any of you have made similar observations.

Highlights included two events:
1) a broken house window as a result of a skulled sand shot, and
2) a group member who hit a 120-yard club flush on the buttons, yet the oncoming wind gust caught the ball and knocked it down after only sixty yards. He should have clubbed up 4x instead of just one.

A good time. Looking forward to getting out again next week, possibly with 111111141111111

Shale Creek (Medina) today, with a medium-size work group. Still one of the better public golf experiences in NE Ohio, coupled with my Tee Time pass discount. Not sure if it was the heat, or the ‘rona, but there were NOT many people out there: sixteen golfers on the entire course in the four hours we were there this morning. Wondering what the play has been like at other higher-price/quality places so far this summer, if any of you have made similar observations.

Highlights included two events:
1) a broken house window as a result of a skulled sand shot, and
2) a group member who hit a 120-yard club flush on the buttons, yet the oncoming wind gust caught the ball and knocked it down after only sixty yards. He should have clubbed up 4x instead of just one.

A good time. Looking forward to getting out again next week, possibly with 111111141111111

I have to ask..............Myron, was it you that broke the window, AND how did the owner react?

There were a lot of people out at Sleepy Hollow this morning. Of course the Wednesday church group, although to their credit, they "only" played in a fivesome. Two of us finished 18 and we didn't even see them coming down the hill on 9.

As we were coming down 9, we noticed that there were several carts lined up ready to tee off on 1, which is good for the course. We then caught up to and followed another regular "senior" group and drove to 10 tee box. in front of them was a threesome and a gentleman and his young grandson, who apparently DID NOT start on 1. They were clogging up the whole backside. Both of us senior groups were pizzed off. We went to 13, played up to 18, and before returning to play 10, 11, and 12, making sure that we weren't cutting anyone off.

There were a lot of people out at Sleepy Hollow this morning. Of course the Wednesday church group, although to their credit, they "only" played in a fivesome. Two of us finished 18 and we didn't even see them coming down the hill on 9.

As we were coming down 9, we noticed that there were several carts lined up ready to tee off on 1, which is good for the course. We then caught up to and followed another regular "senior" group and drove to 10 tee box. in front of them was a threesome and a gentleman and his young grandson, who apparently DID NOT start on 1. They were clogging up the whole backside. Both of us senior groups were pizzed off. We went to 13, played up to 18, and before returning to play 10, 11, and 12, making sure that we weren't cutting anyone off.
Duffers > Hackers. :giggle:

I have to ask..............Myron, was it you that broke the window, AND how did the owner react?

‘One of the few families not working at home it seems. So we left the offender’s homeowner’s insurance agency contact information, ha! And, honestly, I’m NOT guilty!

I was invited to play Alliance Country Club this morning. Wheeew. Even through we played from the silver, there were still 400+ yard par 4's. Not an easy task when you're my age. There are also back to back Par 5's. None of the par 3's are picnics, either. It was fun to play, but it wasn't a confidence builder.
My Dad used to be a member there years ago. He’s allowed to go back and play every year because he won some tournament. I played with him a few years ago and that course destroyed me (I’m younger, but not a long hitter). I’ve never been more destroyed on a golf course in my life, I honestly did not want to finish. I’ll take Sleepy any day over that.

The conditions yesterday afternoon were brutal. Not only upper 80s with high humidity but very windy, into the wind I was adding 2-3 clubs to any shot. Also anything inside of 100ish yards into the wind I didn't use a wedge but used my 8 iron and hit knock down shots. It was so windy it also affected putting, was very happy I was within a stroke of my average.

We played Barberton Brookside yesterday. I hadn't played it in 4-5 years. It's an ok course, nothing spectacular, nothing bad. There are a lot of trees on the course, though.

We played Barberton Brookside yesterday. I hadn't played it in 4-5 years. It's an ok course, nothing spectacular, nothing bad. There are a lot of trees on the course, though.

Always enjoyed Brookside but haven't been there in years. Always wondered what it must have been in its heyday before the bunkers grew in, etc.

Always enjoyed Brookside but haven't been there in years. Always wondered what it must have been in its heyday before the bunkers grew in, etc.

The last time Myron and I played there, he put his drive across the road and into someone's front yard. I think it may have been 12 or 13.

Went to a course in Medina called Pleasant Valley today. Interesting place, situated on a five mile stretch of Hamilton Road along with Shale (high quality track) and Bunker Hill (decent muni, hi volume). This place is moderately priced (about $30), never runs specials, is never overly busy, yet is always in decent condition. I’ve played there 5-6 times and have always had a good experience.

#16-18 are a tough finishing stretch. The walk up #16 yields a nice view of the surrounding area. I’m not saying it’s the same as walking Pebble Beach, but it’s a good view.

111411 from this site met me there. A nice FaceTime with a hot coworker who called about some inter-office scuttlebutt livened up the last few holes. Ones and I responded accordingly and stepped our games up. This woman may never have golfed beyond putt-putt, and I’ve ranted for years about slow play. But she can join us for a round anytime.

Great time as always with 111411 on the course

Went to a course in Medina called Pleasant Valley today. Interesting place, situated on a five mile stretch of Hamilton Road along with Shale (high quality track) and Bunker Hill (decent muni, hi volume). This place is moderately priced (about $30), never runs specials, is never overly busy, yet is always in decent condition. I’ve played there 5-6 times and have always had a good experience.

#16-18 are a tough finishing stretch. The walk up #16 yields a nice view of the surrounding area. I’m not saying it’s the same as walking Pebble Beach, but it’s a good view.

111411 from this site met me there. A nice FaceTime with a hot coworker who called about some inter-office scuttlebutt livened up the last few holes. Ones and I responded accordingly and stepped our games up. This woman may never have golfed beyond putt-putt, and I’ve ranted for years about slow play. But she can join us for a round anytime.

Great time as always with 111411 on the course

As always, a good time with Myron. There were plenty of laughs, serious discussions, and we able to get caught up. $27 for a senior was a deal! The course was in great shape and the greens ran true. The par 3 17th hole had us worried, but we both parred it.

As for my hot coworker, the Facetime call put some pep in both of our steps. Myron was thanking me for including him on the call. Sorry Myron, that was the highlight of my round.

I'm in the Youngstown-Warren area, and a couple of my favorites are Oak Tree, (literally) just across the PA line in West Middlesex; and Yankee Run in Brookfield, near the PA line but still in Ohio. Tam-O-Shanter is another quality PA course very close to those two. Kennsington and Reserve Run are both fun, as is Knoll Run; Mill Creek has the tradition, and Flying B and Salem Hills are both challenging tracks in the western part of Mahoning County. And last year I discovered the wonder of SugarBush in Garrettsville, played twice in 2019 and have already been there three times this year.

I have played Pleasant Valley and it is nice solid track that has some good holes, I like it best when it meanders into the more forested areas. The finishing holes around the lake are well thought of architecturally but it seems any time you have a lake in an open setting you have a big sign out saying geese come and sheet. The last time I played there it was so bad on 18 that it felt like I was in a minefield.