Ohio High School Helmet Tournament!

Most other states have used game photos. Since the Ohio tournament is run by someone who makes digital images of the helmet look, those are the files used.

I'm not sure for the national tournament will be run. But I'm going the schools that win can use brightly colored home jersey accompanied game photos to really show the helmets as fans see them in a game

Not that thrilled with how this thing has developed for Ohio. While St. Ignatius is the best program in the state their helmet is nothing special. Then you have a series of native american helmets that lack originality, if Utica wins their helmet is basically the same as the one from PA. I guess they are at least better than the Bunny helmet from IL.

Not that thrilled with how this thing has developed for Ohio. While St. Ignatius is the best program in the state their helmet is nothing special. Then you have a series of native american helmets that lack originality, if Utica wins their helmet is basically the same as the one from PA. I guess they are at least better than the Bunny helmet from IL.
I think it's clear that the best helmet in the state will not win.

Best helmet was eliminated in round 2.

Go Bellevue, I guess?

Attachments

• 9313F043-315C-46B4-AB2D-2C177C894CDA.jpeg
    9313F043-315C-46B4-AB2D-2C177C894CDA.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 18
Which one did you think was the best?
Wadsworth or Madeira. liked them both. very unique designs but they pulled them off well! either one would've been awesome reps in the national tournament. how Ironton beat Wadsworth is beyond me still

I generally like classic helmets with modern updates that are not crazy, the Georgia helmet that won is a great example of this. From Northern OH I like the following>

I agree that Fremont Ross has a great helmet, unique historic logo that identifies this program with a modern update>
eLQEqqvSv5G1mk9uv_fU6PvfwXZAtpM-iGj8Sw45eOOSXJXe9M_wDn5l_-e2hvib6fQZf62KUDBmkT4hwbUYLIbcRoz4ZtzGZCbD_zVskN_g3ghZ9OO5Kx1MLEL9f8QYJ5i7n-unpk3gqu-2eNo

I think Ravenna also is a cool look though the redundancy of the logo on the front may be a bit too much>
AR-309149826.jpg

University School has a solid non mascot driven helmet>
maxresdefault.jpg

I also think Alliance should go back to this helmet>
YOKLbx-CojWVUWawT6kJ3At80rhZ50LtVEVnXqV64yZbFev3oSOu2ujg1zX_OtEp5F3eb0zCM0FaGp2c_dKWfpZDD33I9dHgrtk-OOaRseBrIih7ow

While far from PC the Native American logo driven helmets just don't do much for me. There is only so many spears and headdresses that can be used and they all tends to bleed together. If I was designing a helmet for one of these teams I would go with school letters or maybe authentic Native American art that pays homage to a specific tribe.

Wadsworth has a solid helmet, to be honest though I liked Rocky River a lot too

But I really like that Classic Canton McKinley helmet

McKinley and Massillon both have iconic logos that, as far as I know, are truly original.

As an aside-does anyone know how it was decided that MWHS decided to put the CFL Hamilton Ti-Cats logo on the front of their IPF and on the field instead of Obie? Was that the preferred logo at the time of construction?

If Utica wins it will be the their first football win this school year according to joe eitel.

Also, saw someone post the current winners on there for each state. Pa and Ohio are about to have the same exact helmet represent them if the results hold.

Screenshot_20200522-202522_Gallery.jpg
IMG_20200522_201614.jpg

Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Interesting that western states that have very similar helmets as these haven't won. Though Montana has two in the elite 8 round. Browning and Lame Deer.

if you could drop links to other states tournaments, that would be awesome. would love to participate!

and dhs22p, awesome job with this. there was no way to make everyone happy but you ran it very well. through all my criticisms of who won and who didn't, I promise none were geared toward you. maybe this could even be a yearly thing!

if you could drop links to other states tournaments, that would be awesome. would love to participate!

and dhs22p, awesome job with this. there was no way to make everyone happy but you ran it very well. through all my criticisms of who won and who didn't, I promise none were geared toward you. maybe this could even be a yearly thing!
Utah just finished. Side note, one of my photos of the Monticello Buckaroos was used up until the final. They lost to Cedar Valley.

Click the link to the national contest and they retweet a lot of contests and you can find the ones still running. A lot of northeast states going now. MA, ri, de, MD, etc.

Louisiana is in the final. Two great helmets. Snoopy (literally, they have permission) v. The Swamp Owls.

Montana is in the quarterfinal round. Split by 11 man and 6/8 man for each champion and then facing off in the final.

Shame that there's so much about headdress helmets when a team that is actually part of an Indian Reservation (Northern Cheyenne) and probably the best of the bunch and might not make it to their state semifinal due to a real good one by Clark Fork.

But you got to give credit for Lame Deer (a cool little town I've been to before in southeast Montana) having the nickname Morning Stars.

Last edited:
I plan on it being a yearly thing. Next year Im going to try and include every team.