Will XC happen this fall?

And by the way, what good does ending the no contact period for Spring sports on May 26th when the season is already over and Summer has started??

Baseball, softball and swimming the coaches are also the club team coaches if wasn't lifted either the coach couldn't coach or the HS players couldn't play. I guess also opens up track for AAU type meets that the HS coach can take kids to.

So, what facilities are you able to train at if schools are closed? Aren't school grounds off limits until first of July? Cross Country kids can start building their bases for the summer from now until July like they always do, but is there any real strong plan to open schools for classes in August? Any teachers out there know what is going on? Worst case was kids back to school 2nd week of April...then May 4...Then school is cancelled. That's all BS and just incompetence in my opinion, but it's over and done with. Now, I see just horrible planning for opening things up. Some places will do a great job, but we are really more at the mercy of those that won't. Let's assume that schools open up and there are sports. What is the plan for when a few teachers get sick or a lot of family members start getting sick because kids are bringing home the virus? Will the solution be to shut down schools again? What if it's traced back to a volleyball game, will it just be indoor sports that are put on hold, or will it be all sports cancelled? What if some people attending a football game get the virus? Will it just be football shut down, or everything? Is there enough knowledge to know that kids really are very low risk, or is the data skewed because schools have been shut down? Or, has the spread of the disease been slowed down dramatically because kids aren't bringing it home because schools have been shut down? Is there a plan?

Students and teachers alike are frustrated and burned out a bit at this point, but it's nothing compared to what administrators have been through over the last two months. It used to be that the state sent out edicts and you had months, if not years, to adapt. This situation has involved decisions being changed weekly, daily, and even hourly.

Try keeping a local electorate up-to-speed with what's happening within the schools in that situation. Most people don't read their emails and too many who do don't have the reading comprehension to understand them. They spend endless hours putting together creative plans for our seniors/graduation, but are pilloried in phone calls, message boards, etc. for abandoning traditional activities. Our administrators are fried.

Superintendent-level administration is working on what school might look like next fall, but they will need buy-in from all parties to make it work. Even then they need to know the requirements from governing authorities. I don't know of anyone who can state with any confidence what those requirements will be. They are going to be driven by politics and as people's psyches change, political drivers change.

IMHO online education is a light shadow of what normally happens in school. Making the "safe" decision early to go online in the fall damns your system to an ineffectual approach even if it means the highest likelihood of staying healthy.

Everyone needs to take a bit of a break. Let things shake-out a bit more before trying to make decisions. That does NOT mean however, that discussion with the intent to brainstorm ideas needs to stop.

Local committees of parents, teachers, administrators, business leader, etc. will eventually need to be involved in developing the approach for each school system. Edicts from the state should be limited in scope.

Aren't school grounds off limits until first of July?
No they said on Friday that they never officially closed down school but sure implied it. Ohio is now leaving it up to individual schools with the help of the local health departments as to when to open up schools. I have heard that opening dates are out there for outdoor facilities. Most will allow outdoor facilities to be open by 5/26 as many baseball/softball fields are used by summer leagues. So I am sure tracks will open at same time for coaches and athletes to use.

I have been digging, and a lot of county health boards closed school facilities, even if the state didn't actually explicitly do so even though it kinda sorta completely sounded at the time like they did. Our stadiums stayed open for a very long time, but because of that there were too many people in the stadiums, including whole teams coming from other schools, to maintain any distancing, so the county health department ordered a shut down.

We are not going to have even optional in person workouts for cross country until we get the official OK from OHSAA that we are allowed to have contact for cross country. First because I think it is the right thing to do in this case. But also because I don't want to face any disgruntled parent when they actually have the rules on their side. I have already had too many emails from parents complaining, ranging from a complaint about my "my canceling the season" to asking if I was crazy and trying to endanger kids when I shared contingency planning for a late spring season when the OHSAA shared it's revised timeline. Since I have already been told twice this spring that a parent might need to get a lawyer involved, I don't feel like tempting fate. Or tempting the OHSAA into cracking down in order to avoid its own lawsuit.

We have talked via Google to our captains, and both the boys and girls teams added a couple of extra captains. We have suggested workouts, and the captains are going to reach out to new kids and stay in virtual touch with them. Hopefully sometime this summer they can get together for running. Even then we have been planning on how to keep them further apart during warm ups and cool downs, and generally about what good practices to inhibit disease spread would be for a cross country practice.

I have been digging, and a lot of county health boards closed school facilities, even if the state didn't actually explicitly do so even though it kinda sorta completely sounded at the time like they did. Our stadiums stayed open for a very long time, but because of that there were too many people in the stadiums, including whole teams coming from other schools, to maintain any distancing, so the county health department ordered a shut down.

We are not going to have even optional in person workouts for cross country until we get the official OK from OHSAA that we are allowed to have contact for cross country. First because I think it is the right thing to do in this case. But also because I don't want to face any disgruntled parent when they actually have the rules on their side. I have already had too many emails from parents complaining, ranging from a complaint about my "my canceling the season" to asking if I was crazy and trying to endanger kids when I shared contingency planning for a late spring season when the OHSAA shared it's revised timeline. Since I have already been told twice this spring that a parent might need to get a lawyer involved, I don't feel like tempting fate. Or tempting the OHSAA into cracking down in order to avoid its own lawsuit.

We have talked via Google to our captains, and both the boys and girls teams added a couple of extra captains. We have suggested workouts, and the captains are going to reach out to new kids and stay in virtual touch with them. Hopefully sometime this summer they can get together for running. Even then we have been planning on how to keep them further apart during warm ups and cool downs, and generally about what good practices to inhibit disease spread would be for a cross country practice.

When the no-contact period for track and field is lifted on May 26, how could it possibly be any sort of rule violation for track coaches to host voluntary group runs for athletes on the track team?

It would not be. But it could be a violation for kids who are not track athletes who do run XC to do those workouts if they are really for cross country season. Because we don't yet have a ruling about XC being allowed. Our boys and girls teams both have varsity athletes in that category. And it could be a violation for an XC coach who does not coach track to do those workouts. So we are going to be safe about that for now.

So I don't get it? They are thinking of privatized sports being okay to start training with their teams and not the public?

If so the privatizing has started.
I'm missing something. I don't see any of that in the article in the link? What are you referring to?

The OHSAA has reversed course and now all sports are again under the no contact period till June 30th or until the health departments open up schools. Also it sounds like again, one for all and all for one. If one county is shut down the whole state shuts down, in regards to high school sports. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!

Last week, Husted announced that low-contact sports can resume in Ohio on May 26, but school sports and training were not part of that announcement.

The OHSAA has reversed course and now all sports are again under the no contact period till June 30th or until the health departments open up schools. Also it sounds like again, one for all and all for one. If one county is shut down the whole state shuts down, in regards to high school sports. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!

Where did you see that? Did the OHSAA make an new announcement about this last night or today?

Source?

"Last week, Husted announced that low-contact sports can resume in Ohio on May 26, but school sports and training were not part of that announcement."
So this is part of the problem. My understanding is that now blame is being thrown around who closed what. Is it the State Government, is it the State Health Department, or is it your Local Health Department. It sounds like the NEO Ohio AD's agreed upon direction from the Rep that the Local Health Department is the ultimate decider. And they agreed so that there was a level playing field that they would not reopen till all counties are open, in regards to school facilities. Which currently, according to someone, is June 30th.

"Last week, Husted announced that low-contact sports can resume in Ohio on May 26, but school sports and training were not part of that announcement."
So this is part of the problem. My understanding is that now blame is being thrown around who closed what. Is it the State Government, is it the State Health Department, or is it your Local Health Department. It sounds like the NEO Ohio AD's agreed upon direction from the Rep that the Local Health Department is the ultimate decider. And they agreed so that there was a level playing field that they would not reopen till all counties are open, in regards to school facilities. Which currently, according to someone, is June 30th.
Sports related activities cannot occur at the school until after 6/30, our school is formally closed until then. Starting on May 26 you can begin organized summer programs, but not on school property.

Sports related activities cannot occur at the school until after 6/30, our school is formally closed until then. Starting on May 26 you can begin organized summer programs, but not on school property.

Gatornation says that the decision to lift the no-contact period on May 26 will be reversed.

The way I read that it is for the NE district only. Unless other follow suit on the 26th no-contact is over for those 6 sports in all the other districts.

Your local region and leaders decide what is best at this point. The argument is the same as for why keeping Idaho closed because New York is closed, which is silly. If NE district feels that is best for them, that is their decision.

We haven't heard anything about a change to the plan. Keeping the schools closed prevents all of the summer camps from happening, which probably is not a bad idea.

Does the NE district even have the authority to override OHSAA's lifting of the no-contact period? I get that a school's AD can forbid his or her particular coaches from meeting with athletes, but absent that, I'm not sure that a coach in the NE district is required to follow guidelines set forth by a collection of random ADs if they conflict with OHSAA's ruling.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this ↑ is a false rumor. Here's a fairly recent update on where things stand.

Pretty sure you haven't refuted anything gatornation has posted.

The state government is setting the minimum guideline in declaring that non-contact sports are allowed to resume on May 26. The OHSAA can't reopen its sanctioned sports before that date but could still choose to wait longer. Additionally, other entities like local health departments (there are 113 of them around Ohio, including 1 in my own city) or the individual schools can decide to set even more strict guidelines and delay openings longer if they wish.

From what gatornation is saying, it sounds like the member schools in the NE District are considering extending their own moratorium for the time being in order to maintain a level playing field regionally. That moratorium wouldn't apply to the rest of the state unless the OHSAA decided to match its guidelines to what the NE District Board decides to do.

Does the NE district even have the authority to override OHSAA's lifting of the no-contact period? I get that a school's AD can forbid his or her particular coaches from meeting with athletes, but absent that, I'm not sure that a coach in the NE district is required to follow guidelines set forth by a collection of random ADs if they conflict with OHSAA's ruling.
I haven't read the OHSAA's constitution, but local entities generally have the ability to enact stricter standards. They just can't be more lenient.

What I understand is the non contact sports are for the general public (summer leagues) and does not relate to school athletics. That decision could be coming in a few days.

What I understand is the non contact sports are for the general public (summer leagues) and does not relate to school athletics. That decision could be coming in a few days.

Then why did the OHSAA neglect to make that distinction when they announced the May 26 lifting of the no-contact period last week? Notwithstanding future guidance to the contrary, a track coach will be able to host voluntary runs for track athletes at, say, a local public park beginning next Tuesday.

I can't answer that question. I think people took what Husted said to include high school sports...But this was stated last week and clarified Monday...Husted announced that low-contact sports can resume in Ohio on May 26, but school sports and training were not part of that announcement.

Pretty sure you haven't refuted anything gatornation has posted.

The state government is setting the minimum guideline in declaring that non-contact sports are allowed to resume on May 26. The OHSAA can't reopen its sanctioned sports before that date but could still choose to wait longer. Additionally, other entities like local health departments (there are 113 of them around Ohio, including 1 in my own city) or the individual schools can decide to set even more strict guidelines and delay openings longer if they wish.

From what gatornation is saying, it sounds like the member schools in the NE District are considering extending their own moratorium for the time being in order to maintain a level playing field regionally. That moratorium wouldn't apply to the rest of the state unless the OHSAA decided to match its guidelines to what the NE District Board decides to do.
He originally posted this..."The OHSAA has reversed course and now all sports are again under the no contact period till June 30th or until the health departments open up schools. Also it sounds like again, one for all and all for one. If one county is shut down the whole state shuts down, in regards to high school sports."

This is from a link in the article I posted...Adjustment to the OHSAA’s No-Contact Period – Limited Sports Since Governor DeWine announced yesterday in his “Responsible Restart Ohio” plan that certain sports will be permitted to begin on May 26, it becomes necessary to provide school coaches the opportunities. Effective May 26, the OHSAA’s No-Contact Period will be lifted for the following sports: • Baseball* • Golf • Softball* • Swimming & Diving • Tennis • Track & Field