OHSAA Memo To Member Schools Dissects Governor DeWine's Re-opening Of Sports

It’s virtually impossible to keep teenagers from gathering and socializing. As others have said, it’s been happening since March. Sure, not as much as normal, but it’s definitely there.

There have also been numerous studies that students aren’t spreading this around like crazy.

From what I can tell in my 2 counties at home and work, most parents are enforcing it. And that's Trump country. Some more lax that others. Cant really speak to every HS kid with a car - lord knows what they do out of sight. But for the most part I've sensed real and general concern during the entire period. I'll admit my kids have had a handful of sleepovers with friends, whose parents we know and trust each other.

If not, maybe they don't respect you or grandparents enough to care(?). Ouch. (not directed at anyone).
Cool anecdote.

I have family members that get briefed by the government daily. My son is an Army Doctor. If you notice, there has not been a big effort to enforce any of the "mandates". I was on the phone with my son right at the end of February or first of March when he said that he was shocked that a case in California that had no known direct contact did not trigger a shut down all over the States. A lot of the numbers being lower than they thought is because social distancing works much better than they thought. Because people have been much better than they thought. I'm talking they expected like 10% or just a little more.
Because your son is an army doctor he knows how many people are social distancing? Lol. You would be better off trying to pass some medical statistics as fact than saying they know how many people are social distancing.

The businesses who permitted this were punished, and the crowds rebuked by their peers.
Not all were. Some places gave proof they did everything that was asked but the individuals were unconcerned. I only mention this because not all individuals see this virus as a death plague. Rebuked? I didn't see any people in the video clips that looked upset that others were crowding their space. rofl

Last edited:
So? Would universal vaccination work or not?
Nobody claims a vaccination doesn't work. We have an option for a flu shot every year and even those that get it can still get sick. 30 years ago the world was in fear of HIV, we have no vaccine and you rarely hear of it.

Nobody claims a vaccination doesn't work. We have an option for a flu shot every year and even those that get it can still get sick. 30 years ago the world was in fear of HIV, we have no vaccine and you rarely hear of it.
We rarely hear of HIV because the best understood health advice toward preventing contraction of HIV has been stamped into the heads of basically everyone these last 30 years. (And we also made it a crime to knowingly and deliberately transmit HIV.)

This whole thing is overblown. People need to get back to normal lives. Starting this weekend, there are going to be more, and more people congregating. As the weather gets warmer people will be doing more things, and start ignoring the social distancing even more. You will also see less masks being put on, with the warmer weather also.

We rarely hear of HIV because the best understood health advice toward preventing contraction of HIV has been stamped into the heads of basically everyone these last 30 years. (And we also made it a crime to knowingly and deliberately transmit HIV.)
But the fear at first was due to the unknown. I agree with you, this is far less severe and we have learned a lot about it in a much shorter time frame. The fear is declining already.

It’s virtually impossible to keep teenagers from gathering and socializing. As others have said, it’s been happening since March. Sure, not as much as normal, but it’s definitely there.

There have also been numerous studies that students aren’t spreading this around like crazy.
Because they're not in school.

This whole thing is overblown. People need to get back to normal lives. Starting this weekend, there are going to be more, and more people congregating. As the weather gets warmer people will be doing more things, and start ignoring the social distancing even more. You will also see less masks being put on, with the warmer weather also.

I agree that the idea of social distancing will disappear soon; those who do not want to chance exposure will stay at home. But, I disagree that the whole thing was overblown. We were dealing with an unknown and all precautions need to be taken. It's by no means over, but life goes on. The critical part is what happens if it reappears in the fall as had been predicted by several scientists. But then no one knows for sure, but it in cases like these, it is always better to err on the side of caution. For this, the governor deserves credit, not scorn. The question remains about what will happen about school openings. Sports, sorry to say, is secondary.

Because your son is an army doctor he knows how many people are social distancing? Lol. You would be better off trying to pass some medical statistics as fact than saying they know how many people are social distancing.
Do you honestly not know how things work? He doesn't know how many people are social distancing, but he sure knows the difference of before and after. So, either it works a lot better than even the experts thought, or a lot more people are complying than they thought would. Here is a statistic for you. Over 91,000 dead in the USA. and climbing. That's with drastic social distancing measures that some of you complain so much about, but then say that no one is following, but since everyone is following the economy is collapsing. Pick a lane.

NO Sh_t right?

Do you honestly not know how things work? He doesn't know how many people are social distancing,
Do you honestly not know what you said earlier?

You are very wrong. There has been a lot more social distancing than they predicted.

Maybe you meant something else like whatever social distancing has been done seemed to help the number of cases? Not sure but based on what you actually said it sure seemed like you meant your army doctor son was briefed on that information.

PS....thanks to your son's service. I hope he stays safe

Is there any truth to hospitals getting a higher payment for admitting a covid-19 patient instead of a pneumonia patient? Or is there a different billing for if they have a natural cause death versus a covid-19 death?

Is there any truth to hospitals getting a higher payment for admitting a covid-19 patient instead of a pneumonia patient? Or is there a different billing for if they have a natural cause death versus a covid-19 death?

There are different reimbursement rates for COVID-19 patients as opposed to otherwise ill patients, both at the nursing home and (I think) the hospital. I cannot speak to if there are different rates based on cause of death, though I think there has been some "cooking the books" to exaggerate the COVID-19 deaths (probably more the death with COVID vs. death of COVID distinction then totally false reporting); that being said there are almost assuredly some deaths that were reported as non-COVID based on a lack of testing/diagnosis but were probably COVID in actuality as well

I thought those studies were from Europe and some of the kids in Europe are back in school. Covid-19 was in the U.S. and Ohio at least by early January, so kids were in schools for about two and a half months before the lockdowns and there isn’t any report I am aware of that a school was the catalyst for the spread of the virus in any area. Wrestling season was in full swing, the most contact sport out there and no reports of wrestlers spreading the virus that I know of. I am not advocating anything, I just don’t think it is as simple as the kids were not in school with what we know about a virus that has been in the U.S. for almost five months now.

If DeWine/Acton thinks things have been shut down all this time and kids haven't been out amongst each other, they are crazier than I thought. There's been gatherings, sleepovers, etc....and I am not sure I've seen anyone in our community wear a mask yet. Home Depot and Lowes have been packed along with Wally World and Target. There's not been near as much "social distancing" as they think and numbers haven't even been a fraction of what Acton predicted.
Concur. I'd say maybe 5% of folks I see are wearing them, and I woul say a majority of the folks I see every day are in the old ranges that is more susceptible.

I thought those studies were from Europe and some of the kids in Europe are back in school. Covid-19 was in the U.S. and Ohio at least by early January, so kids were in schools for about two and a half months before the lockdowns and there isn’t any report I am aware of that a school was the catalyst for the spread of the virus in any area. Wrestling season was in full swing, the most contact sport out there and no reports of wrestlers spreading the virus that I know of. I am not advocating anything, I just don’t think it is as simple as the kids were not in school with what we know about a virus that has been in the U.S. for almost five months now.

You are correct. There were also studies in Australia.

Nobody claims a vaccination doesn't work. We have an option for a flu shot every year and even those that get it can still get sick.
Because the flu "going around" every year is different and the vaccine is an educated guess. Covid-19 is specific virus like polio or smallpox (which is actually two) so a vaccination specific to the disease might be possible.

Which going back to Jake22's comment and question means if we ever get a covid vaccination people will not still get covid-19 just like people do not get small pox or polio and when people do get sick we should not worry if it is the flu or covid.

But reviewing how dumb many people apparently are even if a vaccination is developed and universally administered there will be some who claim it does not work and others who will believe that it works but will still believe that they or someone they heard about got covid anyway.

Last edited:
I have family members that get briefed by the government daily. My son is an Army Doctor. If you notice, there has not been a big effort to enforce any of the "mandates". I was on the phone with my son right at the end of February or first of March when he said that he was shocked that a case in California that had no known direct contact did not trigger a shut down all over the States. A lot of the numbers being lower than they thought is because social distancing works much better than they thought. Because people have been much better than they thought. I'm talking they expected like 10% or just a little more.
So three months ago you talked to your son about a case in California and that is you proof?

That's laughable.

Which influences no one's behavior.

Because the flu "going around" every year is different and the vaccine is an educated guess. Covid-19 is specific virus like polio or smallpox (which is actually two) so a vaccination specific to the disease might be possible.

Which going back to Jake22's comment and question means if we ever get a covid vaccination people will not still get covid-19 just like people do not get small pox or polio and when people do get sick we should not worry if it is the flu or covid.

But reviewing how dumb many people apparently are even if a vaccination is developed and universally administered there will be some who claim it does not work and others who will believe that it works but will still believe that they or someone they heard about got covid anyway.
Covid-19 is actually a virus strain like SARS and MERS and not like the smallpox and polio disease. It has a recovery rate of almost 95% and will pass. We already have some in the world who debate the use of vaccinations. This will be no different but it will go away.

Last edited:

1589891614708.png

Its definately been here in January. Heck, probably December too. The CDC is telling us to beware a second wave. This might already be the second wave. Coventry Local Schools did take a calamity day back in January to address an awful lot of kids getting sick in a short amount of time. It definately could have been that.

In the studies where they concluded kids aren’t spreading it to each other and teachers, yes, they were in school.
I know there is some anecdotal evidence, I was not aware that there were multiple studies. To be honest I doubt that there are.