Leipsic Leaving BVC

I think I might be the only poster here with ties to the BVC and I graduated 20 years ago so I don’t know the current state of things. Being preemptive makes since from Leipsic’s point of view, but just for argument sakes, here is what I would say.
Scheduling - Leipsic is in two leagues, by the time the league games are set, how many OOC games do they need to schedule? And let’s say Vanlue doesn’t offer all jr high sports, that still leaves them 9 BVC games, which is more or the same as NWC will offer. So the AD will still need to find the same number of games. Additionally Leipsic doesn’t offer all NWC championship sports, so now the NWC ADs will have more work to do.
LB is too big - they have been the biggest school for many years, people didn’t seem to mind when the football team was below average. From LB’s point of view why leave, in the fall the girls volleyball won state, girls soccer was runner up and the football team made the playoffs. These lack of JV and jr high games didn’t impact them at all, so there is no point to increasing travel. Plus if they choose to cut down on open enrollment they would only be “smaller” they have played in D6 2 out of the last 7 years.
Money - the NWC gates will be larger for Leipsic, I’ll concede that this is true, but travel costs will go up. Let’s say for fun that the gates are so large they cover the diesel and turn a profit. You are still putting kids on a bus, on school nights for longer periods of time. As a parent that would be a hard pill to swallow for the argument of a few thousand more dollars for athletics.

LB should join the NBC and take Woodmore's place because i think Woodmore should move to the SBC river.

I think Northwood may want to join the NBC too if their enrollment is going to hold up but I dont know what their future looks like. They may need to see if someone like the SBC would accept them otherwise with some TAAC teams dropping to 8 man.

it would be nice if someone could create a map of area teams and color code their conference affiliation. so people can see it for geographical purposes

I did just the NWC and BVC. I took Paulding out of the NWC equation and moved Leipsic over to the NWC.
NWC BVC.JPG

If you combined the NWC and BVC and added say Lima Perry back to the mix you'd have a 20 team mega conference. Grant it not every school plays football and some won't play 11-man in the future so you'd be looking at the possibility of a 20 team league with 16 members playing 11-man. Two divisions of 8 allows, OOC weeks 1 and 2 with week 10 a cross divisional "championship week".

Basketball you'd have two 10 team divisions. play everyone in your division once and then play half the other division once. that would amount to 14 of 22 games used. still tons of ooc chances. could also do an end of season deal like with football where the top 2 teams in a division round robin with the top 2 in the other division and the bottom 2 in a division round robin it with the bottom 2 in the other division.

Could be a fun wrestling conference.

IMO we're going to see more of this fantasy set up as some schools and districts continue to grow or at least stabilize and others fade away without realizing they need to consolidate in order to keep up (yes i'm looking at you Vanlue).

The BVC didn’t turn down Ada. Ada turned down the BVC.
Gotcha. Reading between the lines on Wikipedia that says in 2012, Ada along with Hopewell Louden and North Baltimore made pitches to get into the BVC after letters of interest were sent out. Someone needs to update the Wiki page with accurate info!

I think I might be the only poster here with ties to the BVC and I graduated 20 years ago so I don’t know the current state of things. Being preemptive makes since from Leipsic’s point of view, but just for argument sakes, here is what I would say.
Scheduling - Leipsic is in two leagues, by the time the league games are set, how many OOC games do they need to schedule? And let’s say Vanlue doesn’t offer all jr high sports, that still leaves them 9 BVC games, which is more or the same as NWC will offer. So the AD will still need to find the same number of games. Additionally Leipsic doesn’t offer all NWC championship sports, so now the NWC ADs will have more work to do.
LB is too big - they have been the biggest school for many years, people didn’t seem to mind when the football team was below average. From LB’s point of view why leave, in the fall the girls volleyball won state, girls soccer was runner up and the football team made the playoffs. These lack of JV and jr high games didn’t impact them at all, so there is no point to increasing travel. Plus if they choose to cut down on open enrollment they would only be “smaller” they have played in D6 2 out of the last 7 years.
Money - the NWC gates will be larger for Leipsic, I’ll concede that this is true, but travel costs will go up. Let’s say for fun that the gates are so large they cover the diesel and turn a profit. You are still putting kids on a bus, on school nights for longer periods of time. As a parent that would be a hard pill to swallow for the argument of a few thousand more dollars for athletics.

Some of the quotes from the Leipsic AD at the end of the article help explain. There's alot of talk about the BVC going to 8 man in multiple schools, from what it sounds. I would say that would definitely put LB, McComb, and PG for sure on the market for a new home.

The BVC didn’t turn down Ada. Ada turned down the BVC.
The idea that the BVC would not accept Ada at the height of their football and basketball success, but did accept North Baltimore and Riverdale is laughable. Ada might have expressed interest, but they chose for themselves to stay in the NWC.

Gotcha. Reading between the lines on Wikipedia that says in 2012, Ada along with Hopewell Louden and North Baltimore made pitches to get into the BVC after letters of interest were sent out. Someone needs to update the Wiki page with accurate info!

It was actually Tiffin Calvert, North Baltimore and Hopewell-Loudon who made pitches in 2012 when the MAL collapsed. Ada was approached back when Riverdale applied if I am thinking correctly.

The 4 western most schools shows a good representation of my disdain for the memberships. There is a clear split that the other 5 could combine with BVC schools to make new conferences.

Trust me. I hate driving west to Convoy or Lincolnview too....

There is no straight way to Spencerville either.

The 4 western most schools shows a good representation of my disdain for the memberships. There is a clear split that the other 5 could combine with BVC schools to make new conferences.
Good thing you’re not making decisions for the league then. The NWC has lasted over 70 years because the members are willing to sacrifice travel convenience for quality of its members

It was actually Tiffin Calvert, North Baltimore and Hopewell-Loudon who made pitches in 2012 when the MAL collapsed. Ada was approached back when Riverdale applied if I am thinking correctly.

Bingo! As I stated on an earlier post, an Ada admin wanted to pursue the BVC invitation but when it came down to it, it was turned down, rightfully so, and to stay in the NWC

Ask LCC and Perry to join them and have a six team league. Could try to get DSJ and Parkway also but would most likely have little luck.

I THINK Perry enjoys their new set up in the NWCC. Playing DJ, LCC, Spencerville and Crestview is not what they're looking for. In fact that's why they got out in the first place. Perry's last five football seasons in the NWC they went 3-38. Since 2010 Perry has been .500 in the NWCC and won the league this past fall. Since 2010 the Perry Boys Basketball team has gone 53-15 in conference and have won five league titles. Perry it would seem is fine where they are league wise.

LCC is in a tough spot. The NWC doesn't want them because LCC absolutely OWNED the NWC in boys basketball. Football towards the end of their NWC membership went 31-1 in their last four seasons as a league member. LCC also fields some sports that the NWC doesn't sponsor. There were also very few to I'm guessing no sports in the NWC that LCC wasn't finishing in the top 2 or 3 every season. Volleyball, Baseball, etc...

On the flip side LCC could compete with the WBL in all sports and fields all WBL sports but I don't know how well LCC would do in football against Wapak, St. Marys, OG, etc...

On the flip side LCC could compete with the WBL in all sports and fields all WBL sports but I don't know how well LCC would do in football against Wapak, St. Marys, OG, etc...
I think they'd hold their own. They'd probably welcome the challenge. Not sure how they'd do over a full season but I'd like to see them join the WBL but the WBL will not want a D7 school.

Ask LCC and Perry to join them and have a six team league. Could try to get DSJ and Parkway also but would most likely have little luck.
Parkway is going nowhere. They were sent a letter of interest from the NWC. The answer was not right now.....their gate sales are way too good in the MAC and with recent success in basketball and several sports on the rise, they feel confident in the MAC.

Trust me. I hate driving west to Convoy or Lincolnview too....

There is no straight way to Spencerville either.

Exactly. Better routes to travel up and down 49 & 127 for these schools to play competition. I'm not big on your conference members make you better come tournament time. About the only conference I've seen that has that working in either state is the MAC in Ohio and the MIC in Indiana. Those are the only two. Developing your own athletes & having competent coaching helps more than anything. Frankly conferences are pretty outdated today as even being necessary, though they make it a lot easier for ADs. Quite frankly it seems Western Ohio is far ahead of Eastern Ohio when it comes to sports and thus why schools in this area are excelling. How many times have we saw schools two counties apart meet in championships in Ohio recently? A lot!

Good thing you’re not making decisions for the league then. The NWC has lasted over 70 years because the members are willing to sacrifice travel convenience for quality of its members

More out of necessity is how it feels. Some members weren't good enough to be with the MAC. The northern schools didn't want to travel so far. The conference has had some success, but it is more the individual schools having a great team every so often. Not a different member each year beating each other in the playoffs to determine which one becomes the champ.

More out of necessity is how it feels. Some members weren't good enough to be with the MAC. The northern schools didn't want to travel so far. The conference has had some success, but it is more the individual schools having a great team every so often. Not a different member each year beating each other in the playoffs to determine which one becomes the champ.

Every current member of the NWC was a full member in the league before the MAC ever started, and the MAC was not at all the powerhouse back then that it is now.

Several schools have had the opportunity to jump to other conferences to make travel easier, Paulding is the only one to take up that offer. Grove, Bluffton, and Ada all had the offer jump to the BVC back when they were expanding, Allen East could have switched to the NWCC if they wanted easier travel or easier competition, and I'm sure Crestview, Paulding, Spencerville, and Jefferson have their opportunities to switch, but none of them ever have, so the necessity argument is hard to make.

As far as members beating each other in the playoffs, in both basketball and football we are split between 2 divisions and multiple regions. It was only 5-7 years ago that Jefferson, Crestview, Spencerville, and Ada were all either conference champs or runners-up facing each other in the D6 football playoffs over that 3 year period. Since then, the top 3 teams in the conference have been split by both division and region, with the exception of the "death region" in 2019.

The conference's recent basketball success should speak for itself. In Ohio the MAC is the only small school league with better or similar basketball success. In this past year Grove's tournament run went through 2 NWC teams, could have been 3 if Lincolnview would have beaten Kalida. The Bowling Green region in Division 4 alone has been represented by the NWC all but 3 years since 2014.

Forgive me if I seem rude, but other than easier travel for the school you follow, I have a hard time seeing any reason for your disdain of the NWC. Yes, travel for the schools on either edge of the league can be rough, but it's nothing when compared to the WBL, TRAC, or some of the other leagues across the state. Other than an occasional outlier, schools are rarely ever unsuccessful in all league sports, teams are always competitive with one another, and when we get teams that aren't in the D6 football region with the MAC, we are always represented well at the state tournaments. Many leagues across the Western part of Ohio envy the NWC.

Liberty Benton belongs in the SBC bay and has no business in its current conference, I know SBC bay is a drive but its a joke watching their 70 plus kids and 25 coaches play against true d-6 and d-7 teams. NWOAL would be the other option probably a little closer

Every current member of the NWC was a full member in the league before the MAC ever started, and the MAC was not at all the powerhouse back then that it is now.

Several schools have had the opportunity to jump to other conferences to make travel easier, Paulding is the only one to take up that offer. Grove, Bluffton, and Ada all had the offer jump to the BVC back when they were expanding, Allen East could have switched to the NWCC if they wanted easier travel or easier competition, and I'm sure Crestview, Paulding, Spencerville, and Jefferson have their opportunities to switch, but none of them ever have, so the necessity argument is hard to make.

As far as members beating each other in the playoffs, in both basketball and football we are split between 2 divisions and multiple regions. It was only 5-7 years ago that Jefferson, Crestview, Spencerville, and Ada were all either conference champs or runners-up facing each other in the D6 football playoffs over that 3 year period. Since then, the top 3 teams in the conference have been split by both division and region, with the exception of the "death region" in 2019.

The conference's recent basketball success should speak for itself. In Ohio the MAC is the only small school league with better or similar basketball success. In this past year Grove's tournament run went through 2 NWC teams, could have been 3 if Lincolnview would have beaten Kalida. The Bowling Green region in Division 4 alone has been represented by the NWC all but 3 years since 2014.

Forgive me if I seem rude, but other than easier travel for the school you follow, I have a hard time seeing any reason for your disdain of the NWC. Yes, travel for the schools on either edge of the league can be rough, but it's nothing when compared to the WBL, TRAC, or some of the other leagues across the state. Other than an occasional outlier, schools are rarely ever unsuccessful in all league sports, teams are always competitive with one another, and when we get teams that aren't in the D6 football region with the MAC, we are always represented well at the state tournaments. Many leagues across the Western part of Ohio envy the NWC.

You're good. It's not a disdain for the NWC. I just think for the whole area, it would be better to re-align and/or merger conferences into different areas. Yes the NWC and MAC are doing well, but the BVC and others are not. It benefits everyone in scheduling when all of these conferences are doing well. I'm just thinking of the domino effect that could happen to a conference like the NWC. It could be great and pilfering now, but that doesn't last forever. I also think having closer conference members promotes better rivalries. That is the big for both high school and college athletics.

You're good. It's not a disdain for the NWC. I just think for the whole area, it would be better to re-align and/or merger conferences into different areas. Yes the NWC and MAC are doing well, but the BVC and others are not. It benefits everyone in scheduling when all of these conferences are doing well. I'm just thinking of the domino effect that could happen to a conference like the NWC. It could be great and pilfering now, but that doesn't last forever. I also think having closer conference members promotes better rivalries. That is the big for both high school and college athletics.
Covid has given me too much time on my hands. ;)

I'm a traditionalist, so my opinion for conferences is biased, but I love that my school is a member of a league that's lasted as it is for over 50 years. From my playing days, the league games with championship implications were the best games to be a part of. Even as a fan, nothing is better than when Jefferson and Spencerville are playing for the league title in week 10, or this past winter when Grove and Bluffton were undefeated playing in a packed gym. Those are games that you don't get from just playing the teams close to you, they come from years of rivalries and tradition