Summer and travel ball ?

City Fields can be used.

New OHSAA guidelines coming out tomorrow as well.

Also. Those of you talking about "going south" and other states for summer ball and all of that. NCAA pushed dead period to July 1. So......

The main reason they state did the shut down of all school facilities through June, when most schools are finished by the end of May, was so they would not be able to have graduations and such. By putting that edict out there, they squashed any of the 'should we have a grad ceremony or not' decision out of the schools hands as the liklihood of having it in July is slim.
We were going to have one in July but alas, that idea too was squashed. So the seniors get a nice drive by in their cap and gowns. My son has chosen not to partipate.

City Fields can be used.

New OHSAA guidelines coming out tomorrow as well.

Also. Those of you talking about "going south" and other states for summer ball and all of that. NCAA pushed dead period to July 1. So......
Teams are already going south. I promise you, "scouts" will be there. All kinds of scouts D1, D2 and MLB.

Illinois governor (while is wife and kids are in Florida) sacks all summer youth sports, contemplating the same for fall sports.

Leave to a Democrat to treat Peoria the same as Chicago.....

We were going to have one in July but alas, that idea too was squashed. So the seniors get a nice drive by in their cap and gowns. My son has chosen not to partipate.

Not sure what your school is doing exactly, but you may want to remind him that if the school is putting a compilation DVD or something together of a "virtual graduation", then he won't be on it. That means if Mary or Susie are watching their DVD 8 years from now, he won't be on it. Maybe something to consider....

The prophets of doom in here didn't do so well predicting, thankfully.
There were a few people that thought baseball at Akron COULD get cut. I don't think anyone was saying summer baseball would be completely done. It was just a question of when, where and how being discussed here. There wasn't any prophets of doom, as you so put it.

From what I can tell from the last few months, there's really only a handful or two of people on this site that seem to only be able to live on the extreme edges of any discussion. The rest of us are forced to have to navigate around these people to try and have a thoughtful, nuanced talk on any topic.

Myself and the other Senior baseball players attended out graduation for less than 5 minutes. We had a baseball game that day so they called us up front right away, got our diploma's and we took off for BP!

Teams are already going south. I promise you, "scouts" will be there. All kinds of scouts D1, D2 and MLB.
I am aware teams are going south.

I am just saying. There will be NO recruiting right now until July 1. Emails, texts, calls allowed, no evaluations, no off campus or on campus recruiting.

There will not be "scouts" or anyone else representing the organizations you have mentioned. I know you do not agree with the stipulations and believe they are optional. MLB has made it very clear to their organizations that there will be stiff punishments for those that defy the order. And college coaches or "scouts", you're crazy. If caught it'd most certainly result in termination. And for those schools that are making tough budget decisions...don't make it easy for them to cut your sport

just to verify what brianwr112 said.....there will no MLB scouts there..unless they plan on being jobless afterwards, and I don't think your son is worth it. You shouldn't promise things to all the other folks with high hopes on here for junior to be uncovered and break their hearts.

Just saw where the state is mandating umpires wear a face covering at all times. I umpire in the big tournaments in my area. It's fun money and not a required income, but this is making me think about wanting to umpire this Summer now. I can't imagine doing a double header in June/July in 80 degrees and being humid out having a face mask on for 1.5-2 hours for a game... then add in if you are at the plate... Yikes!!

just to verify what brianwr112 said.....there will no MLB scouts there..unless they plan on being jobless afterwards, and I don't think your son is worth it. You shouldn't promise things to all the other folks with high hopes on here for junior to be uncovered and break their hearts.
You would not know it if they are there. And as far as I know, no recruiting goes on at these tournaments, just guys watching baseball and using radar guns. Neither you nor Brian112 know what the heck they are talking about. So unless you have been to the big Nashville tourneys or the big Lake Point tourneys, I would not speak about what you don't know.

Not sure what your school is doing exactly, but you may want to remind him that if the school is putting a compilation DVD or something together of a "virtual graduation", then he won't be on it. That means if Mary or Susie are watching their DVD 8 years from now, he won't be on it. Maybe something to consider....
I hear you, I asked him, and he said he wasn't interested in being in a car in parking lot with his parents and then walking across the stage by himself one at a time. His whole thing is being with his friends and classmates. School ended for him a several weeks ago. He is just ready to play for his summer team, work and get ready for the college fall season. The whole thing is really sad. Basically missing out on a big moment in his life. There is really no way around it.

You would not know it if they are there. And as far as I know, no recruiting goes on at these tournaments, just guys watching baseball and using radar guns. Neither you nor Brian112 know what the heck they are talking about. So unless you have been to the big Nashville tourneys or the big Lake Point tourneys, I would not speak about what you don't know.

It's actually more apparent you have no clue what you're talking about. Have friends that scout and they've been ordered by MLB NOT TO BE IN ATTENDANCE. This has been beaten into their heads by the organization. A lot of them are worried about their jobs as it is. They aren't pushing the envelope. College coaches are also not to be at the tournaments...even to just watch as you say. These guys aren't putting their careers on the line to watch your kid. Sorry.

And I've been to plenty of big tournaments in my lifetime. But never one where scouts have been told YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES.

The more you argue, the more ignorant you look at this point.

It's actually more apparent you have no clue what you're talking about. Have friends that scout and they've been ordered by MLB NOT TO BE IN ATTENDANCE. This has been beaten into their heads by the organization. A lot of them are worried about their jobs as it is. They aren't pushing the envelope. College coaches are also not to be at the tournaments...even to just watch as you say. These guys aren't putting their careers on the line to watch your kid. Sorry.

And I've been to plenty of big tournaments in my lifetime. But never one where scouts have been told YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES.

The more you argue, the more ignorant you look at this point.
You don't even know when these tournaments are happening smarty pants. My kid already has been recruited so you don't have to worry about that. Geez, what the heck are you on this board for except to keep spreading negative vibes. You haven't said one thing positive on this board. As the great ODDBALL (Donald Sutherland) once said, "Don't hit me with those negative vibes so early in the morning. Think the "scouts"will be there and they will be there." and "why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change."

My son coaches college baseball. No recruiting in person. Or watching. Or evaluating. I’m sure there will be people doing it but just saying

You don't even know when these tournaments are happening smarty pants. My kid already has been recruited so you don't have to worry about that. Geez, what the heck are you on this board for except to keep spreading negative vibes. You haven't said one thing positive on this board. As the great ODDBALL (Donald Sutherland) once said, "Don't hit me with those negative vibes so early in the morning. Think the "scouts"will be there and they will be there." and "why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change."

Because you keep on getting on here and spreading false information. And if the tournaments are happening after the restrictions are lifted then that obviously wouldn't be what I was talking about. I'm on this board because as someone who has been involved with sports my entire life, this has become the best place in the state of Ohio to talk HS sports and get info...Kinda been a regular in these parts for years.

I'm spreading realistic vibes to your false claims.

Because you keep on getting on here and spreading false information. And if the tournaments are happening after the restrictions are lifted then that obviously wouldn't be what I was talking about. I'm on this board because as someone who has been involved with sports my entire life, this has become the best place in the state of Ohio to talk HS sports and get info...Kinda been a regular in these parts for years.

I'm spreading realistic vibes to your false claims.
Be honest, you enjoy being negative. You and your partner jumped on me about scouts and southern tournaments without even knowing what I was talking about because you want to be the bringer of bad news on everybody's hope to get a summer sport's season in. Just so you know the tourney's I am talking about are in Nashville, Florida and Lake Point. They all happen in July and the beginning of August. As of now, I am confident they will come off and there will be scouts there, whether they are bird dogs or full on scouts, players that stand out in the those tourneys will be recognized. Everything you have said so far is or is in the process of being found false. Schools and school districts are going to be allowed to use their outside facilities at their discretion. The Governor has already said as much. Now, it is up to the OHSAA to provide some guidance but it will really tick off some communities that take great pride in their tax paid facilities if they can't use them and the Governor is allowing baseball and softball. This nonsense about litigation is absolutely unfounded. Just like I told Philly Cat, if you are uncomfortable about the situation, stay home. We all get it and understand. Just leave the boys and the ladies alone and let them play. Goodness!!!

That is a good article. Personally, I was never sold on the direction the OHSAA was taking. It felt like the OHSAA was taking DeWine's words a step further than he intended. When DeWine said that school facilities would remain closed for the remainder of the school year, I did not take that to mean that buildings were to remain vacant. Instead, I thought his intention was to tell the schools that they would not be having students come back for in-classroom education through the end of the school year.

From what I remember, DeWine closed the schools for the school year. The OHSAA closed the facilities, including outdoor. Maybe someone can find where DeWine closed all facilities but I don't remember hearing that. In one of these threads, we even discussed tracks remaining open at some schools for walkers/joggers against the OHSAA mandate.

Here is DeWine's announcement:

K-12 SCHOOLS:

Governor DeWine announced today that K-12 schools in Ohio will remain closed for the rest of the 2019-2020 academic year.

"We balanced many issues in arriving at this decision. In the end, I believe this is what is best to protect the health of our children, our teachers, and our administrators," said Governor DeWine. "While our buildings are closed, we know that students continue to learn in new and innovative ways. I thank all of our teachers, administrators, support staff, and parents for all they have done and will continue to do in these challenging times."

At this time, no decisions have been made regarding whether or not schools will reopen in the fall.

So here is the interesting twist:

Ohio Dept. of Health Order Closing School Facilities. A major announcement yesterday was the Director of the Ohio Dept. of Health’s order that all school buildings will be closed through June 30, 2020. Through a call to the ODH, it was clearly stated that this extends to all school facilities as well and includes stadiums, baseball/softball diamonds and tracks. This clearly prohibits all schools from making their facilities available to club/travel/non-interscholastic sports during this mandatory shut-down. While we have no authority over each school’s facilities, our oversight to complying with this is the mandatory no-contact rule that has been in place. Please see below for an update on this “No-Contact Regulation.”

So it looks like the OHSAA contacted someone at the ODH who told them over the telephone that this applied to outdoor facilities. This is something that probably should have been followed up with written transcript so everyone was on the same page. Cleveland Heights basketball may be interested in this case since a "phone call" was their undoing until court intervention this past season.

Be honest, you enjoy being negative. You and your partner jumped on me about scouts and southern tournaments without even knowing what I was talking about because you want to be the bringer of bad news on everybody's hope to get a summer sport's season in. Just so you know the tourney's I am talking about are in Nashville, Florida and Lake Point. They all happen in July and the beginning of August. As of now, I am confident they will come off and there will be scouts there, whether they are bird dogs or full on scouts, players that stand out in the those tourneys will be recognized. Everything you have said so far is or is in the process of being found false. Schools and school districts are going to be allowed to use their outside facilities at their discretion. The Governor has already said as much. Now, it is up to the OHSAA to provide some guidance but it will really tick off some communities that take great pride in their tax paid facilities if they can't use them and the Governor is allowing baseball and softball. This nonsense about litigation is absolutely unfounded. Just like I told Philly Cat, if you are uncomfortable about the situation, stay home. We all get it and understand. Just leave the boys and the ladies alone and let them play. Goodness!!!t

I don't pretend to be smart but where have I been proven wrong? You've made several comments to lead one to believe you were taking your child South to play in tournaments right away. And because of that he/she would gain additional exposure to an actual team scouting them.

Maybe I'm confused and you're talking about the so called scouts families will now pay to pimp their kid

I know it.

Had they had input, this wouldn't have happened.......

I can see how this would surly - dang near with out a doubt prove that DeWine's office is not communicating with OHSAA, at least not beforehand.

But why would you say it wouldn't happened? - I can think one reason is the contact period for spring now gets a little weird.
Or would it just have been better communicated? Or is there a conflict between what this allows with travel/club and OHSAA's desire?
Those are all sincere, honest & open questions. I do take issue with some things - mostly at the district level but the OHSAA in large provides very good service and Jerry is a super likable guy that I believe to be sincere.
You just seemed to be plugged in so I am asking.

Tried to tell y'all that the baseball facility closures had wiggle room to be exempt or able to be negotiated but some didn't want to believe it.
Some leagues and organizations will feel silly for cancelling so soon.