Top Ohio 8th graders and high schools

As a Moeller fan and strong supporter of what Coach Lindsey has been doing, I would be super excited to see many of the mentioned above ???? end up in that program. The Southwest Select and Team Lindsey kids are busting their tails and the future looks bright!

I find it wild how in bigger areas, middle school kids change schools so much. In eastern and southeastern ohio, kids rarely change schools.
I would say travel and schools distance apart are a big factor.

i think there is a decent amount of school jumping here in se. ohio. The kids just arent as god so its not noticed near as much. There are only a few coaches(at most) that put the offseason time in

Is that district champ. Just wondering what is Divisional state champ. I didn’t see him mention so just asking.
OAC Started the Divisional State Championship. Its AAA, AA & A based on the high school that the junior high feeds into. It can be misleading though as Divisional Placement gives criteria in some OAC events and I saw some weights with 3-4 entries and others with 8+. So someone may take 2nd at Divisional States but went 1-1 for instance

Divisional state is a warm up, or practice for the real oac IMO . Some Div state champs dont even place at the oac state tournament's. Holds no weight and has no seeding value for anything, and cannot judge a wrestler solely on this tournament because of lack of participants.

I wonder with the way times are currently today if any wrestlers listed have decided to hold back? I think if there ever was a year this is the year since we have no idea what will happen next school year. This goes for all sports, not just wrestling.

I wonder with the way times are currently today if any wrestlers listed have decided to hold back? I think if there ever was a year this is the year since we have no idea what will happen next school year. This goes for all sports, not just wrestling.
With everyone essentially being homeschooled for the past few months, I'd guess that parents who were possibly considering a holdback may be more open to do so next year. One thing that I've noticed with my family is that my kids are getting through their work way less time than the 7 hours they spend in school each day under normal circumstances. That sure opens up time for all sorts of academic enrichment and additional training for those so inclined.

I doubt that it would change much. Those that were already considering it, may be more likely to, but I would doubt that those who were not considering it are still largely not considering it - with maybe a few now on the fence. Also consider, there may be several on this list that have already held back and can't do it again. I'm not saying that there is because i have no idea, but it is definitely possible. A lot that were going to do that have already done it by this point, I believe.

This same chat is going on in the football forum, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Tanner Spalding - La Salle
638.512.jpg

Top eighth graders stay back another year! Does anyone think this sport is likely in 2021! Wrestling is the thing of the past. No parent is going to let their child wrestle kids from other areas. The only sports that will last in this current climate is money sports. That sucks, but that's reality. Football, basketball and baseball. Soccer is for the weird kids. Hate on me all you want, but this is the truth. These one sport wrestlers need to take their bad attitudes and dominate the sport of football. Football is the only sport that will stand the test of time. IMO.

covidsucks, I think you suck as much as covid. IMO
You know nothing about wrestling and you just showed your ignorance. Some of the best football players ever were good wrestling, the two sports go together. You're on hear to just agitate so just take your ATTITUDES and stay off wresting forum. I've coached both football and wrestling for 45 years and you offend me or come out to a practice that you could never finish.

Last edited:
Top eighth graders stay back another year! Does anyone think this sport is likely in 2021! Wrestling is the thing of the past. No parent is going to let their child wrestle kids from other areas. The only sports that will last in this current climate is money sports. That sucks, but that's reality. Football, basketball and baseball. Soccer is for the weird kids. Hate on me all you want, but this is the truth. These one sport wrestlers need to take their bad attitudes and dominate the sport of football. Football is the only sport that will stand the test of time. IMO.

Not good, you can leave the wrestling thread and never come back. ..You are way too negative for us wrestling folks, and i'm all about football and baseball.(n)

This take is so dumb on so many levels. Parents are going to let their kids play other close contact sports, but not wrestling. Why? First thing that doesn't make any logical sense. Lol at soccer being for the weird kids - guess what, those soccer kids are in way better shape when coming into wrestling season and have some of the best footwork. The school that my son goes to the soccer teams are regularly in the state finals while the football team sucks every year. Generalizations are for the ignorant. Football is less likely to happen than wrestling because of timing.

The bigger danger is if colleges lose revenue from football and campus housing then they might drop sports like wrestling unless boosters donors step in.

41f8qe.jpg

Covidsucks, Apparently you don't do the athletic budget for your school. Baseball is a dead loser for money. Nobody pays to get in a high school game, usually zero concessions. Go to a soccer game, only people there are generally parents. There are plenty of schools where dual wrestling matches have more people there than basketball games. Reality is that football income in high school is the main source to support the entire sports program. To say baseball, basketball and soccer are money sports just tells me that you think being on welfare is a great living.

Covidsucks, Apparently you don't do the athletic budget for your school. Baseball is a dead loser for money. Nobody pays to get in a high school game, usually zero concessions. Go to a soccer game, only people there are generally parents. There are plenty of schools where dual wrestling matches have more people there than basketball games. Reality is that football income in high school is the main source to support the entire sports program. To say baseball, basketball and soccer are money sports just tells me that you think being on welfare is a great living.

He didn't say soccer was a money sport. For some reason it got thrown in there as the sport for weird kids.

Not sure why he would think baseball was a money sport.

There are no "money sports" in HS. Of course it's true that Football and Basketball bring in more gate & concession revenue than other sports, but I suspect that neither covers its own costs (Coaches, equipment, Refs, facility maintenance; forget about actually building the facilities in the first place).

As Huge points out, the bigger risk is at the college level. It's only been is the last couple decades that College Football became profitable for D1 schools collectively. (Some large programs were profitable before that.) Even today, many D1 programs (think MAC conference) operate at a loss. OSU's athletic department lost money in 2019! Remarkable really. If there is no TV money propping up mid-tier Football and B-ball programs, then schools may start cutting other sports.

Basketball and football cover cost and make money. Not at all schools but at the majority. No other sport comes close to breaking even.

Basketball and football cover cost and make money. Not at all schools but at the majority. No other sport comes close to breaking even.
If you host a bigger tournament, you make money. Brecksville, maumee bay, top gun, wadsworth, Medina, perrysburg all have to make money for the school.

No parent is going to let their child wrestle kids from other areas.

My boys will be ready to wrestle kids from other areas as soon as the doors open. From a statistics standpoint, odds are very low of catching COVID19 in Ohio and being sick enough to justify testing (28,0000 confirmed cases out of 11.69 million pop. comes out to 1 in 418). There's no shortage of ways we could go, so stay safe everybody and don't stress out over the news.

My boys will be ready to wrestle kids from other areas as soon as the doors open. From a statistics standpoint, odds are very low of catching COVID19 in Ohio and being sick enough to justify testing (28,0000 confirmed cases out of 11.69 million pop. comes out to 1 in 418). There's no shortage of ways we could go, so stay safe everybody and don't stress out over the news.
Ohio has 28,000 cases while the state is “shut down” and everyone is at home, the numbers will rise quickly as we get “back to normal”.

Last edited:
Ohio has 28,000 cases while the state is “shut down” and everyone is at home, the numbers will rise quickly as we get “back to normal”.

I completely agree that the numbers will go up exponentially.

My boys still have their noses to the grindstone and will be ready to wrestle as soon as the doors open. If and when they catch COVID19 in the coming months or years, they will recover and get back to doing what they do - same as before.