Elder Football 2020

I saw this in the football forum. School facilities closed to students through June 30th. The headline suggests this could delay fall sports.

Too early to make that call. There’s already been several big universities across the country that have said they will be open in the Fall.

Too early to make that call. There’s already been several big universities across the country that have said they will be open in the Fall.

I agree. I think the headline was just click bait honestly. Let's hope June 1st they open up the schools. Dewine will be keeping a close eye on the numbers in May to see if the gradual opening puts a spike in the numbers. Fall sports will be delayed if they extend this through the summer.

Sounds like Indiana and KY are ready to get on with life as we know it before Ohio! May have to go to KY or Indiana for high school Football game in the Fall??‍♂️

Sounds like Indiana and KY are ready to get on with life as we know it before Ohio! May have to go to KY or Indiana for high school Football game in the Fall??‍♂️
If KY and IN are playing football, Ohio will be as well. If bordering states are opened up and functioning normally, there’s no way DeWine could withstand the public pressure not to follow suit.

I'm pessimistic on this one. In my opinion nothing has changed between March 20th and today except some social awareness. If COVID cases increase this summer because of relaxed rules then there is no chance of fall sports. Time will tell but opening things in May really has no bearing on what will happen in September with so much still unknown.

I'm pessimistic on this one. In my opinion nothing has changed between March 20th and today except some social awareness. If COVID cases increase this summer because of relaxed rules then there is no chance of fall sports. Time will tell but opening things in May really has no bearing on what will happen in September with so much still unknown.

I'm starting to feel more pessimistic on this also. The world has been brainwashed to believe we must stay locked down or we will have millions die. There are protests to open, but that is a small minority of the country right now. The majority of people in this country actually oppose reopening the economy right now. The majority of people in this country will believe anything the media reports so until the media tells people otherwise, the majority are going to want to play it safe.

I'm starting to feel more pessimistic on this also. The world has been brainwashed to believe we must stay locked down or we will have millions die. There are protests to open, but that is a small minority of the country right now. The majority of people in this country actually oppose reopening the economy right now. The majority of people in this country will believe anything the media reports so until the media tells people otherwise, the majority are going to want to play it safe.
You’ve also got to understand cancelling football is a last resort. If there’s any other states playing at all, they’ll never live down cancelling this season.

For what it's worth, here is an interview with Dr. Fauci on whether football will return in the fall for the NFL. He does not talk specifically about high school or college but you can see the correlation.

For what it's worth, here is an interview with Dr. Fauci on whether football will return in the fall for the NFL. He does not talk specifically about high school or college but you can see the correlation.

DeWine renewed his season tix for OSU.

Whatever has already been said, or anything being said today or the near future, means nothing right now. There are just too many unknowns right now. Fall football is months away, nobody knows what it’s going to be like then. Plans can be made now, but that doesn’t mean they will happen then.

Whatever has already been said, or anything being said today or the near future, means nothing right now. There are just too many unknowns right now. Fall football is months away, nobody knows what it’s going to be like then. Plans can be made now, but that doesn’t mean they will happen then.
My whole point was at least there’s no covert plan already in place to cancel the season. Obviously this is a fluid situation, but there’s still some reason to be hopeful

Ohio is having a real hard time Opening Daycares right now so Regular school and fall football/Sports are currently on the back burner. It is an absolute shame that Dictator DeWine and Anal Acton have so much power. Hopefully Bill Seitz and the State Legislature keep challenging some of the crap those two are pulling!

Ohio is having a real hard time Opening Daycares right now so Regular school and fall football/Sports are currently on the back burner. It is an absolute shame that Dictator DeWine and Anal Acton have so much power. Hopefully Bill Seitz and the State Legislature keep challenging some of the crap those two are pulling!
Let's please keep the politics out of this or take it to another forum.

if football happens will lineman have have 6 ft. splits? talk about a spread attack. lol

jtk
()

sounds like he approves of deswine and acton and what they've done to ohio.

jtk
()

JTK, it was never my intent to either approve or disapprove of the Governors and Health directors policy's. If some one came on here bashing or condemning Trump and his polices or any other politician from any party I would have posted the same thing.

We see and hear that every day in our news, blogs, workplaces, etc. There are other blogs and threads to do that without interjecting it on this thread.

What I like about Yappi and the Elder Panthers site is it focuses on all things good and happening on the West Side, Panther sports and the school in general. It is great place to come and read posts from all of you. I have always enjoyed your posts thru out the years. I like for the most part how much information and good opinions are posted.

I wish all sports could start today. I think sports benefit so many in our country and has a great impact in young peoples lives. I hope they figure it out soon. But I think the professional sports(NFL, NBA, MLB, etc) and major college sports need to work it out before it will filter down the high school level in our country. Because of the money and revenue it generates they are highly motivated to come up with solutions. It can't come soon enough.

That's it. All the best to you.

It's going to come down to a few things in this order:
1. Governor has to allows schools in session. E-learning = no sports.
2. If school campuses are open, Governor will have to give his blessing on sports.
3. Given 1 and 2, the OHSAA has to give the ok.
4. Given 1, 2, and 3, the school superintendent/archdiocese/jesuits, etc. has to give the ok for their school to allow students to participate.

We should find out a little bit which way this is heading when the Governor is supposed to outline when gyms and sports are allowed to happen and under what restrictions.

I think the hope of many is that the summer months and the continued social distancing is going to wipe out the coronavirus for the most part which should allow the schools and sports to happen in August. The likely scenario is the later fall months we get a 2nd wave of the coronavirus which puts the playoffs and winter sports in jeopardy. This is my thinking anyway.

Let's not kid ourselves. Obviously, you cannot social distance in football. You can take some extra precautions with things, but it's just sanitation not social distancing. The assumption with football will be we know what risks are involved. Besides the coronavirus, there are concussion risks, neck injury risks, knee tears, broken bones with fooball. You can't eliminate the risks, but you play knowing what the risk is. Will the government allow us the freedom to make our choices about what we want to do or not? Let's hope government stays out of our way on this and let parents/kids decide for themselves if they want to risk getting the coronavirus. The other side of the argument people will say is you don't have the right to expose others to the coronavirus and possibly kill others due to your lack of responsibility and concern.

My personal opinion is the models they were predicting are wrong, and we have to get back to work, school, and sports. While the conronavirus is serious and possibly deadly, it is not the plague we were told it was going to be. You do not shut down the economy, schools, sports, etc. for a virus like this. I don't know what the threshold is, but we are not at it. What happened in New York and Italy did not happen anywhere else. That's my .02 anyway.

The governor has announced he is allowing gym and "non-contact/limited contact" sports to resume beginning May 26th. Gyms and public pools will also be allowed to open on May 26th. They did mention their group is working on contact sports such as football, basketball, lacrosse, field hockey.

I think this is a good trend in the right direction for football in the fall. Again, football/fall sports is going to be contingent on school buildings being open in August.

The governor has announced he is allowing gym and "non-contact/limited contact" sports to resume beginning May 26th. Gyms and public pools will also be allowed to open on May 26th. They did mention their group is working on contact sports such as football, basketball, lacrosse, field hockey.

I think this is a good trend in the right direction for football in the fall. Again, football/fall sports is going to be contingent on school buildings being open in August.

I disagree with the buildings having to be open for classes for sports to take place. The key is school being in session, whether it be remote learning or not. In building classes face a completely different challenge from outdoor sports. Now if there is no school at all, that's a completely different story, and there would definitely not be any sports. But I don't see that as what we are potentially looking at in the fall. But that is what the future looks like from the exact point in time on May 15th.