141. Anthony Echememendia
149. Sammy Sasso
157. Quinn Kinner
165. Carson Kharchla
174. Ethan Smith/ Kaleb Romero
184. Rocky Jordan/ Gavin Hoffman
197. Chase Singletary
HWT. Orndorf

I’m sure this won’t be accurate but just trying to fill the lines. I’m not sure either of those guys can make 133 next but they can’t beat the next 2 up. Can Hayes get an extra year? Does Singletary make the cut? Lots of questions but I’m desperate for some form of sport talk.

Just for discussion purposes.

125. Malik Heinselman
133. Jordan Decatur/ Dylan Demillio
149. Sammy Sasso
157. Quinn Kinner
165. Carson Kharchla
197. Chase Singletary
HWT. Orndorf

I’m sure this won’t be accurate but just trying to fill the lines. I’m not sure either of those guys can make 133 next but they can’t beat the next 2 up. Can Hayes get an extra year? Does Singletary make the cut? Lots of questions but I’m desperate for some form of sport talk.

I think Hoffman will wrestle off Singletary at 197. He wrestled 285 at the end of last year after 184 became to big a cut.

125. Malik Heinselman
133. Jordan Decatur
141 Dylan Demillio
149 Anthony Echememendia
157. Sammy Sasso
165. Carson Kharchla
174. Kaleb Romero
184 Gavin Hoffman
197. Chase Singletary
HWT. GTG

Here's my wild guess. In short, I think only 2 weights are locked up 125 (or better or worse) and 165. The rest will be sorted out in the room. Not the best Buckeye team we've seen in the last few years, but certainly as deep of a tOSU team as I've seen.

125- Heinselman is probably the best option here. I'm hoping he gets stronger and puts together at least a NQ season.
133- Word was Decatur struggled with the weight cut last year and may go 141. I don't pretend to have any inside knowledge, but if the eyeball test is right, with him being maybe 5'3, I'd like to think with better nutrition/conditioning he'd better suited to make 133. Then again, I thought Pletcher messed up the lineup by not going '33 last year, and boy was I wrong.
141- w/ Demillo's longer frame, I'd slot him here, but if I'm completely wrong about Decatur, maybe they swap. Either way Demillo is super talented if healthy.
149- Wild card if Echememendia stays eligible, but I see him as a '49lber. Just based on social media, he looks jacked and too big for '41, but also seems too short for '57.
157- Sasso, maybe swap Echememendia and Sasso depending on size. Or maybe 141 Echemendia, '49 Sasso, '57 Kinner. Or maybe 141 Echemendia, '49 Kinner '57 Sasso. Great problem to have as a fan. Kinner went from a skeleton at 133 to a solid sized '57lber in 3 weeks. Long frame, and with a good 10 months in quarantine banging on weights, he might just be the guy here.
165- Carson Karch so excited to see how he develops in college. I see multiple a multiple AA career, followed by a successful international run w/ Team USA.
174- Romero grew a lot this year, and I like to see him build on it to be a national contender. I've doubted E. Smith in the past, and I've almost always been wrong. He's not a highlight reel type guy, but he's tough as nails and usually wins or loses close. It sure will be a great fight for the starting spot here.
184- Another good competitive wrestle off. I'm taking Hoffman in a coin flip. Saw exciting glimpses last year of what he's capable of. Rocky is solid, but would love to see him open up more.
197- Hoping this is the year that Singletary pulls it all together.
HWT- GTG- just because of the incredible moments he gave us last year. #Legend

Last edited:
Just for discussion purposes.

125. Malik Heinselman
133. Jordan Decatur/ Dylan Demillio
149. Sammy Sasso
157. Quinn Kinner
165. Carson Kharchla
197. Chase Singletary
HWT. Orndorf

I think this is a good of a guess as one could make right now. I think another possibility could be transfer Hubbard at 157.

My thoughts:
125 I keep thinking this will be the year he grows into the weight and delivers. I thought that last year and was really disappointed as he regressed from his freshman year, until performing fairly well at the B10s.
133 I like Decatur at 133, but I am not convinced he'll do much better than he did this year, but do see him as a NQ but not on the podium. I think the cut will be too much for Demillio.
141 I'm really excited to see Echememendia, but not sure this is his weight. If not then probably Demillio/Decatur. If Echememendia, I see him near the top.
149 Likely Sasso, who's a title contender.
157 Of the returners, I llike Kinner. He went 133-157 this year, which I'm sure messed with him. An off-year to bulk up puts him as a solid wrestler, but not likely an AA. Hubbard could be a wild card, but I don't see him as an AA either.
165 I could see Kharch as an AA, but the top tier is the Bull and NCAA champ Lewis.
174 I like Romero at 174. He had a great year this year and 174 is a weight that loses 6 of the top 8 seeds. Only #2 Kemmerer (on a MRS) and Romero return. 3x AA Amine MICH comes back from an OLY RS and there'll be others that will be factors, such as Starocci PSU. But Romero will start the year at the #3 rank until it's proven otherwise.
184 See above. I think Rocky has the most potential, but he's not likely on the podium unless he makes a lot of progress from this year.
197 I think Singletary has a chance to be near the top here. He was the U23 Team USA rep at 97kg (213) and a really good 220 in HS.
285 Orndorff could/should be on the podium, but not near the top - 4 to 8. And I'll be sad to see GTG get sidelined.

Last edited:
In short, I think only 2 weights are locked up 125 (or better or worse) and 165. The rest will be sorted out in the room. Not the best Buckeye team we've seen in the last few years, but certainly as deep of a tOSU team as I've seen.
I'm not even sure 125 and 165 are locked up. Maybe Koontz or Jacob Decatur end up at 125, and perhaps Kharch, who will find a starting spot IMO, goes 174. He split time at 165 & 174 last year. And like you suggested, every other weight has multiple options. Guys not sitting on the bench IMO are Sasso, Echememendia, Orndorff and Kharch. BTW, Echememendia is still not listed on the roster and Kharch is listed at 174. And I've never seen a deeper Buckeye squad.

I'm not even sure 125 and 165 are locked up. Maybe Koontz or Jacob Decatur end up at 125, and perhaps Kharch, who will find a starting spot IMO, goes 174. He split time at 165 & 174 last year. And like you suggested, every other weight has multiple options. Guys not sitting on the bench IMO are Sasso, Echememendia, Orndorff and Kharch. BTW, Echememendia is still not listed on the roster and Kharch is listed at 174. And I've never seen a deeper Buckeye squad.
Watching Jacob last year at a few college opens I think he needs at least one or two more year to grow into 125. I don’t know if he is 120 yet as he looked very small still. Koontz is probably a better Greco kid then folkstyle and I don’t see him keeping up with studs in big ten. Best option now IMO is Heinselman who is really good but all those kids in college are studs.

I think this is a good of a guess as one could make right now. I think another possibility could be transfer Hubbard at 157.

My thoughts:
125 I keep thinking this will be the year he grows into the weight and delivers. I thought that last year and was really disappointed as he regressed from his freshman year, until performing fairly well at the B10s.
133 I like Decatur at 133, but I am not convinced he'll do much better than he did this year, but do see him as a NQ but not on the podium. I think the cut will be too much for Demillio.
141 I'm really excited to see Echememendia, but not sure this is his weight. If not then probably Demillio/Decatur. If Echememendia, I see him near the top.
149 Likely Sasso, who's a title contender.
157 Of the returners, I llike Kinner. He went 133-157 this year, which I'm sure messed with him. An off-year to bulk up puts him as a solid wrestler, but not likely an AA. Hubbard could be a wild card, but I don't see him as an AA either.
165 I could see Kharch as an AA, but the top tier is the Bull and NCAA champ Lewis.
174 I like Romero at 174. He had a great year this year and 174 is a weight that loses 6 of the top 8 seeds. Only #2 Kemmerer (on a MRS) and Romero return. 3x AA Amine MICH comes back from an OLY RS and there'll be others that will be factors, such as Starocci PSU. But Romero will start the year at the #3 rank until it's proven otherwise.
184 See above. I think Rocky has the most potential, but he's not likely on the podium unless he makes a lot of progress from this year.
197 I think Singletary has a chance to be near the top here. He was the U23 Team USA rep at 97kg (213) and a really good 220 in HS.
285 Orndorff could/should be on the podium, but not near the top - 4 to 8. And I'll be sad to see GTG get sidelined.
Romero may actually be #2. Since Amine will be wrestling 86kg (189lbs) I'd be surprised to see him down at 174.

If Ohio State did not view Orndorff as an upgrade to Traub, they would not have pursued him in the transfer portal.

Orndorff was the eight seed at nationals, which instantaneously puts him in the AA conversation. Traub was the 18th seed, which projects out to a 1-2 national tournament (a great tournament for him probably is round of 12). That's the reality of where the two stand. I personally am not interested in the cult phenomenon stuff, as that does not impact wins/losses and AA contention.

Romero may actually be #2. Since Amine will be wrestling 86kg (189lbs) I'd be surprised to see him down at 174.
Yeah the plan for Michigan is to have the youngest Amine at 65, Massa at 74, and Myles Amine at 184 or possibly even 197. So Amine won’t be there but I’d still probably have Romero #3 behind Massa.

If Ohio State did not view Orndorff as an upgrade to Traub, they would not have pursued him in the transfer portal.

Orndorff was the eight seed at nationals, which instantaneously puts him in the AA conversation. Traub was the 18th seed, which projects out to a 1-2 national tournament (a great tournament for him probably is round of 12). That's the reality of where the two stand. I personally am not interested in the cult phenomenon stuff, as that does not impact wins/losses and AA contention.

And I believe Traub would want whoever would best help the team, represent them in that weight class. I'm sure he'll do everything in his power to earn the spot. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. No matter the outcome I believe GTG will still strive to be the best teammate he can be.

I personally am not interested in the cult phenomenon stuff, as that does not impact wins/losses and AA contention.
In a year when tOSU was fighting for the 3rd place spot, rather than fighting for an NCAA title (2018) or runner-up spot (every other year in recent memory), GTG was a very entertaining "cult phenomenon stuff." I got to see him live on two occasions and he bought the house down both times. Yes, even more so than Luke, Sammy and Kollin. Would I want him in the lineup rather than Singletary or Ondorff? Not if I was coach but maybe as a fan.

In a year when tOSU was fighting for the 3rd place spot, rather than fighting for an NCAA title (2018) or runner-up spot (every other year in recent memory), GTG was a very entertaining "cult phenomenon stuff." I got to see him live on two occasions and he bought the house down both times. Yes, even more so than Luke, Sammy and Kollin. Would I want him in the lineup rather than Singletary or Ondorff? Not if I was coach but maybe as a fan.
bdhof, I agree with all you said here but I will say this, GTG may surprise a lot of people (me included) because he has a tremendous drive and with his success this year he may build on it. Just a coaches thought, or maybe a wish.

bdhof, I agree with all you said here but I will say this, GTG may surprise a lot of people (me included) because he has a tremendous drive and with his success this year he may build on it. Just a coaches thought, or maybe a wish.
From one old coach to another, we've all seen guys like GTG who somehow wrestle way above their "athletic ability." And we've all seen guys somehow wrestle way below their "athletic ability." There are many ways to win a wrestling match - 1) be quicker than your opponent 2) be stronger than your opponent 3) have better technique than your opponent 4) be in better shape than your opponent 5) have a greater desire to win (aka heart) than your opponent. GTG excels in categories 4 & 5.

From one old coach to another, we've all seen guys like GTG who somehow wrestle way above their "athletic ability." And we've all seen guys somehow wrestle way below their "athletic ability." There are many ways to win a wrestling match - 1) be quicker than your opponent 2) be stronger than your opponent 3) have better technique than your opponent 4) be in better shape than your opponent 5) have a greater desire to win (aka heart) than your opponent. GTG excels in categories 4 & 5.
I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to see GTG man the spot at 285. But I suspect that it'll be Orndorff. If it is Orndorff, he better bring 4 & 5 to the wrestle-off. Singletary made that mistake a few years ago and lost to GTG. Ryan started Singletary anyway after the two wrestled in an early-season open and GTG DNP while Singletary beat some pretty good guys and (I think) won the weight.

Only if it recaptures the moment when he picked up Nevills (at about 265 lbs) and threw him to the mat for a dual meet win.

If he cut to that for the video then he’s a 149lber. But if he is just walking around/in shape weight he could make 141.
Ryan said he'd be at 141. But that doesn't mean it's his best weight. I tend to believe that he'll be at 141 unless Sasso bumps up to 157. I'm not sure how tough Sasso's cut was last year. He looked pretty lean, but obviously was one of the best 149s in NCAAs.

Not a topic for the line-up discussion. But this is impressive, my guy Kaleb Romero !

KALEB ROMERO - Mechanicsburg, Ohio

Earned degree in just three years and maintains two seasons of athletic eligibility

NWCA All-American this past season as NCAA's sixth seed

Ohio State's 'Most Improved' award winner

Sorry, back to the lineup talks, fellas !

From what I can tell - observations, questions, etc

125: Heinselman as there isn't another viable one on the roster. Unless he grows, the same issues will remain. The talent is there, as he showed against peers in high school; but he gets obliterated due to lack of size/horsepower, especially in top/bottom.

133: The questions start with who can make it and do so effectively.

141: If Echemandia can go here effectively, then it's a done deal. He's the starter and an immediate AA candidate if the folkstyle "learning curve" isn't too much. If it's not Echemandia, then you're looking at whomever isn't the 133 or Kinner having a steep cut.

149: Sasso is here, he's an AA/title contender. If Echemandia can't do 141, then you have the 141/149 politics of recent years relived.

157: Assuming Echemandia/Sasso at 141/149, you're looking at Kinner or Cleary here. Neither one was an NCAA qualifier, hopefully they can improve into that.

165: Smith was the starter here last year, and probably round of 12 caliber. Kharchla comes in play here off a redshirt year as well.

174: Romero started here last year, and was AA caliber by year's end. The Smith/Kharchla loser will also challenge for this spot.

184: Rocky Jordan is the favorite to start. He beat out Zach Steiner and the younger Hoffman for this spot last year.

197: Chase Singletary is the likely starter here. He seems to have decided 197 is most optimal from a competitive standpoint. The younger Hoffman and the older Hoffman (grad transfer from Bucknell) will have their say as well.

285: Orndorff is the likely starter here. There's a reason Ohio State chose to bring him in off the portal, and that's because he's an upgrade to Traub. If Ordnorff wasn't an upgrade, the staff wouldn't have pursued him, and/or Orndorff would have chosen a different school to attend.

Not a topic for the line-up discussion. But this is impressive, my guy Kaleb Romero !

KALEB ROMERO - Mechanicsburg, Ohio

Earned degree in just three years and maintains two seasons of athletic eligibility

NWCA All-American this past season as NCAA's sixth seed

Ohio State's 'Most Improved' award winner

Sorry, back to the lineup talks, fellas !
He had a great year and is one of only two returning top 8 seeds (with #2 Kemmerer IOWA). He has a chance to be a finalist next year. And he's made significant improvement each year.

"'personally am not interested in the cult phenomenon stuff, as that does not impact wins/losses and AA contention
."

I get it, we all want tOSU to win everything, all the time, but undeniably GTG gave fans some of the most exciting moments that I've experienced as a fan and a 15 year season ticket holder. He'll go down in Buckeye history as the guy who christened the Covelli Center, and likely will be remembered (maybe sadly so) more than many guys who ended their career on the AA podium.