Status of National Trail Raceway/State Cross Country Meet?

Obetz Fortress, southeast corner of the park complex .....
Fortress SE.jpg

.....and the field between the stadium and the Athletic Center:
Fortress mid AthleticClub.jpg

Reactions: tmk
First off, thanks for going above and beyond on this Zunardo! Very thoughtful. So, not a bit of elevation change on the entire site.
I'm not sold, but I'm still hopeful. After the last few years at NT, anything seems better. Guess we wait for a course map and the video of Zunardo walking the course.

Yes, many thanks, Zunardo.

There is a small man made hill visible to the left in the last and 3rd picture Zunardo posted from the bottom on the first page. But beyond that it's one of the flattest courses I've ever seen. I attached a Google street view pic.

The terrain reminds me a little of the old Central District course at Berliner Park. Pancake flat with a couple of bumps. Minus the stadium, of course.
Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.38.19 PM.png

Ok, I'll use my imagination and call that a hill type thing. Doesn't it seem like having a stadium or grandstand just puts handcuffs on the ability to layout a good CC course? I hope I'm wrong. My thought is that if people could sit in the stands and there are video boards showing the races, that might be a big advancement but I question how you get in and out of the stadium to see the finish and any of the race? Seems like plenty of space otherwise. I'll be open minded and hopeful and it will be a nice start for the place to have Woodridge win a record breaking state title there. In honor of the good people of Obetz and to end the year a lot better than it started.

I'll require a substantial retainer for that service, lol. You're all welcome, glad to be of help. Hope everything works out,
Be sure to come to the state meet in the fall, and we'll be sure to pay up. Glad we gave you an excuse to get out of the house on Thurs.
Thanks so much for all of the advanced reconnaissance! You've truly gone above and beyond what I was hoping for when I PMed you for some local perspective on the place.

It doesn't have a Kendall Hills vibe, but it's definitely more attractive than NTR.

If we're going to worry about the effect of the thickness of the grass on times, let's do away with all pretense and make it a road race or run heats of 5ks on a track. No one scores a meet based on times or earns All-Ohio rankings based on times.

Give me a great competition and I'm happy. Do it in mud, hills, wind, and rain and I'm ecstatic.

It doesn't have a Kendall Hills vibe, but it's definitely more attractive than NTR.

If we're going to worry about the effect of the thickness of the grass on times, let's do away with all pretense and make it a road race or run heats of 5ks on a track. No one scores a meet based on times or earns All-Ohio rankings based on times.

Give me a great competition and I'm happy. Do it in mud, hills, wind, and rain and I'm ecstatic.
Is the quarter midget track still at Obetz. That will give it more of a NTR vibe for those that liked that place. Grass looks thick...I ran in a pasture where cows were the day before the state meet. I think it was mowed with a hay baler the day before. When I saw the pictures my thought was "look how nice that grass is and how low it's cut. Perspective I guess. I have high hopes for Obetz. Location location location.

Last edited:
If we're going to worry about the effect of the thickness of the grass on times, let's do away with all pretense and make it a road race or run heats of 5ks on a track.
The comment about the grass was not criticism just an observation. I was looking for reason it wouldn't just be a 5k on a track race since there will not be any hills.

There was no way we would get a hilly course in central Ohio. And since most of the state is flat, I don't think most people care about hills. This might be the best place possible. Hope so.

Is the quarter midget track still at Obetz. That will give it more of a NTR vibe for those that liked that place.
Yes, it's still there. In my last photo, it's on the other side of the trees behind the goalpost on the right.

Ok, I'll use my imagination and call that a hill type thing. Doesn't it seem like having a stadium or grandstand just puts handcuffs on the ability to layout a good CC course? I hope I'm wrong. My thought is that if people could sit in the stands and there are video boards showing the races, that might be a big advancement but I question how you get in and out of the stadium to see the finish and any of the race? Seems like plenty of space otherwise. I'll be open minded and hopeful and it will be a nice start for the place to have Woodridge win a record breaking state title there. In honor of the good people of Obetz and to end the year a lot better than it started.
Think of Scioto Downs except flatter. You will get figure 8's and will probably need to choose just like you did at Scioto. Do I stay in the stadium or do I stay outside of the stadium? You will be able to see more inside this stadium then you did at Scioto and if in the stadium you will be able to see the start, unlike at National Trail. Staying outside the stadium you will be able to get closer to the action like you did at Scioto. They will go into the stadium here 2 or 3 times running right in front of the stands. They will finish right in front of the stands just like at Scioto Downs.

I could watch the start at SD, run out to the first loop, run back to the stands, run over to the second loop and get back to the stands to see the finish. I could not do that anymore. I think it will be at least 20 years before I sit in stands to watch a CC meet. I have hopes this will be a good location.

I could watch the start at SD, run out to the first loop, run back to the stands, run over to the second loop and get back to the stands to see the finish. I could not do that anymore. I think it will be at least 20 years before I sit in stands to watch a CC meet. I have hopes this will be a good location.
Pushing your way through the few gates they would open to the first loop was a battle sometimes. That was one of my biggest pet peeves at Scioto. They could have made it easier to move around if they wanted to.

Bump - one of the local residents posted a nice drone shot of the Obetz Fortress athletic complex over the weekend. Pretty good overall view looking north-northwest. The Columbus Crew practice facility is off-screen to the right. Downtown Columbus visible at the top left third of the photo):

Obetz Fortress athletic complex.jpg

Great picture. This makes it looked like the state meet will be pretty crowded. Also makes it look like the course will be very flat and very fast.

I've given up on my hunt for a course map. I bet they don't even release it until the week of the State Meet at this point.

Still don't see how a good course is made from this. Are they planning on using all the area where the Crew practice facility is?

I heard this weekend the start straightaway is not that long. Not sure if this is true, hard to tell since there is no course map up yet.

Also, my understanding is a course map will not be posted for a couple of weeks....

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I do not see any way that they do not have separate team and individual races like the old days.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I do not see any way that they do not have separate team and individual races like the old days.

The rumor I hear is that they are going to seed the races and combine the times after.

Seems like a horrible idea. Doing the team/individual race would be significantly better.

The rumor I hear is that they are going to seed the races and combine the times after.

Seems like a horrible idea. Doing the team/individual race would be significantly better.

What I heard was the team - individual split, THEN combine them via time. Nothing like someone crossing the finish line at the state championship first only to later be told you were really third, 1.5 seconds out of first.

What I heard was the team - individual split, THEN combine them via time. Nothing like someone crossing the finish line at the state championship first only to later be told you were really third, 1.5 seconds out of first.
None of the 3 options on the survey are ideal, but of the 3, that is the best of the 3. The other 2 compromise the integrity of the team competition. Having teams competing in separate races is even worse. With the way everyone complains about polls and whatnot, the word "ranking" immediately raises red flags for me, even if it's the coaches of the teams that made state doing the ranking. The final 2 options include that word.

I have not coached in a long time so my opinion is meaningless but like Slippery I think #1 is the only option. Since there is an individual component to XC I hope they do not combine the races via time for individual status and awards. I would rather see a reduced amount from each race receive awards before using time from separate races. I can't see any way they will have an awards ceremony. No matter how they do it, option #1 seems to be the only smart choice.

Fewer teams and fewer individuals moving on from regional would be my choice. Why is that simple solution not an option?

Fewer teams and fewer individuals moving on from regional would be my choice. Why is that simple solution not an option?
Because that would be taking more things from the kids. Is why I am against that. Why they are against that is it will take away paying customers and right now they need every dime they can get their hands on.