MLB starting season in Arizona in May?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Just saw a report where MLB is talking about starting the season in May with all the games in Arizona. Players would still be social distancing and no fans would be in attendance but it would be a way to get the season started a little earlier.

I don't see it happening. I could be wrong but if they start sports back up and offer them almost immediate testing...it will cause a huge issue. You can't have athletes getting tested numerous times when the rest of the country can't get them. I want sports back but I also think they're kinda far down on the things we need to worry about right now.

I don't see it happening. I could be wrong but if they start sports back up and offer them almost immediate testing...it will cause a huge issue. You can't have athletes getting tested numerous times when the rest of the country can't get them. I want sports back but I also think they're kinda far down on the things we need to worry about right now.
Yeah, that won’t fly for sure. Healthcare workers can’t even get tested right now for christsake.

i dthey should not start until cdc and federal health says is ok.if i was governor of arizona and head health nurse of arizona i would ban baseball until the federal government and cdc says its ok.mlb and players should wait in line as far as getting test behind us american people and besides mlb will pay these players maybe not all of their salary even if they dont play.the american people should be top priority over any pro athletes for testing.i like to see mlb come back but not at the expense of us citizens.

I think you have to understand this is just an IDEA. It's not set and there is alot of things to consider. And this isn't at the expense of US citizens. This could work if you limit the numbers of people there. Remember pro athletes would probably be the least likely to have any ill effect of this. Those who struggle are older, have one or more physical aliments.
I love it when people say it's a money grab. Yes, yes it is!! This is the players jobs! They don't play, they don't make money. This is just an idea, it's April 7, there's alot to consider.

I think you have to understand this is just an IDEA. It's not set and there is alot of things to consider. And this isn't at the expense of US citizens. This could work if you limit the numbers of people there. Remember pro athletes would probably be the least likely to have any ill effect of this. Those who struggle are older, have one or more physical aliments.
I love it when people say it's a money grab. Yes, yes it is!! This is the players jobs! They don't play, they don't make money. This is just an idea, it's April 7, there's alot to consider.
Lol, everyone here knows it’s an idea.

South Korea tried that method. Three players then immediately tested positive. And people of all ages are dying. Some in great health. Saying they'll likely be fine if they catch it is ignorant.

Thanks for pointing out that it was just an idea though.

How will MLB continue to practice Social Distancing should they try this in Arizona? Umpire,Catcher,Batter have no chance of being 6ft. apart. When Billy Bob slides back into 1st on attempted pickoff, Social Distancing not possible and the guy getting cracked with the glove. I want Sports back for sure, but I will keep saying, Social Distancing and Sports (with or wo) fans just doesn’t go together. SUCKS no doubt it!

Balls and strikes called by k zone. umpire stands away. Players sit six feet apart in the stands instead of the dugout. Those were two

Balls and strikes called by k zone. umpire stands away. Players sit six feet apart in the stands instead of the dugout. Those were two

No Mound Visits by anyone I heard. Must argue with Umpire at least 10 ft away. Each Base Coach will have Hand Sanitizer, Players who make to that Base Safely can use it?

I miss baseball as much as everyone else. But this is not a good idea. It is just an idea, right? ;)

All of this for the 1% of America who gives a chit about MLB?

Apologies in advance, but I'm a data analyst for a living. Your math stinks, just like your attitude.

US Population = 327 million, give or take. LA Dodgers attendance in 2019 was 3.9 million (just under 50K per game!) This alone is more than 1% of the US population. I realize lots of people attend multiple games, but with a very conservative estimate, the Dodgers had at minimum 300,000 distinct people at their games, and probably more like 500,000.

All of the other teams drew less than the Dodgers. The Reds were 20th at 1.8 million. Total attendance was 68.5 million. It is a very conservative estimate to say that at least 6.8 million unique people attended a game last season. So that is more than 2% of the population.

Now factor in this thing called TV. How many millions watch on their regional cable and national broadcasts without ever going to a stadium. Hard to measure, but a huge number. So I leave you with this. https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-increased-viewership-attendance-in-2019 notable quote:
"Nearly 170 million people -- 167.9 million age 12 or older -- call themselves MLB fans today, more now than at any point in the past 25 years, per SSRS/Luker's Trends Sports Poll research. "

So more like 50%, not 1%. You were close though. Nice try.

Apologies in advance, but I'm a data analyst for a living. Your math stinks, just like your attitude.

US Population = 327 million, give or take. LA Dodgers attendance in 2019 was 3.9 million (just under 50K per game!) This alone is more than 1% of the US population. I realize lots of people attend multiple games, but with a very conservative estimate, the Dodgers had at minimum 300,000 distinct people at their games, and probably more like 500,000.

All of the other teams drew less than the Dodgers. The Reds were 20th at 1.8 million. Total attendance was 68.5 million. It is a very conservative estimate to say that at least 6.8 million unique people attended a game last season. So that is more than 2% of the population.

Now factor in this thing called TV. How many millions watch on their regional cable and national broadcasts without ever going to a stadium. Hard to measure, but a huge number. So I leave you with this. https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-increased-viewership-attendance-in-2019 notable quote:
"Nearly 170 million people -- 167.9 million age 12 or older -- call themselves MLB fans today, more now than at any point in the past 25 years, per SSRS/Luker's Trends Sports Poll research. "

So more like 50%, not 1%. You were close though. Nice try.
K

People like baseball, and they'll watch it.

Networks don't pay millions of dollars for the TV rights to baseball games because only 1% care about the game. Baseball doesn't want to get caught flat footed if one May 1, the leaders of the country start to look at opening things up. You have to have a plan. Yes, there are still alot of things to consider, but it's a start.

Good news is Arizona and Florida are now in a fight with each other to bring baseball back to their state. But it feels like things are getting further away than getting closer.

Good news is Arizona and Florida are now in a fight with each other to bring baseball back to their state. But it feels like things are getting further away than getting closer.
There's plenty for both, just put half the teams in Arizona, half in Florida.

Did you miss where MLB gave teams permission to lay off or furlough managers and other coaching staff starting May 1
Just keeping all their options on the table. Hey, maybe you have games without manager and coaches? YOu have a player manager and just play the games? Maybe you'd need a pitching coach to organize the pitchers.

Word today...MLB possibly starting late June, early July, 100 game schedule, 3 10 team divisions regionally. Games played in home parks, no fans.

Let's GOOOOO!!!!

MLB discussing plan to start season in late June, playing in home stadiums with realigned league

MLB is considering a three-division, 10-team plan in which teams play only within their division – a concept gaining support among owners and executives. It would abolish the traditional American and National Leagues, and realign the divisions based on geography.

EAST
  • New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins
WEST
  • Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners
CENTRAL
  • Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

I like this plan a lot better than keeping the players locked up in Florida and Arizona. The players were never going to agree to that. Now lets hope testing becomes available.

MLB discussing plan to start season in late June, playing in home stadiums with realigned league

EAST
  • New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins
WEST
  • Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners
CENTRAL
  • Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers
Let’s do it. Allow fans two seats apart And wearing masks if you must. If your over 70, or obese your not getting in. If you have underlying conditions that put you at risk that’s on you.

Let’s do it. Allow fans two seats apart And wearing masks if you must. If your over 70, or obese your not getting in. If you have underlying conditions that put you at risk that’s on you.

Part of this plan was no fans. So seating won't be an issue. Sports aren't opening until testing is available to everyone though.

Part of this plan was no fans. So seating won't be an issue. Sports aren't opening until testing is available to everyone though.
I understand this plan didn’t include fans and the other things I mentioned. If we will soon be opening restaurants, church services and people are walking over each other in Walmart I don’t see why we can’t allow some fans to watch an outdoor baseball, football game with certain parameters.

I understand this plan didn’t include fans and the other things I mentioned. If we will soon be opening restaurants, church services and people are walking over each other in Walmart I don’t see why we can’t allow some fans to watch an outdoor baseball, football game with certain parameters.

I don't pretend to be an expert at this thing. I've followed as much as the rest of you. California's Governor just recently announced that Concerts, Amusement Parks, Sporting Events and Festivals would be in Stage 4 and the last thing to come back. If this is the case the only thing they could do would be the Arizona/Florida options in my opinion. Don't think they'll mover forward with playing in home stadiums if it's not available to every club. Just an opinion.