Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Mentor Cardinals

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Solon Comets

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Strongsville Mustangs

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
If it was up to me, I would swap out Berea-Midpark for Lorain in the SWC, but not much of the SWC would do it. Lorain is a financially troubled district at this time, more than most, as I believe they are under close watch by the state. For purely sports and geography, though, I would love to have Lorain in the SWC.

As for the topic at hand of the GCC....I see the pro and con list for Lorain regarding GCC vs LEL. The LEL would seem on the surface to be a better cultural fit (as Shaker infamously voiced), the competition is good enough in basketball and the travel is a little more favorable, but the GCC is the more overall competitive group of schools across the board and would be better for Lorain IMO.

I'm not even sure why you brought up Shaker's "reason" for leaving, especially since culturally Shaker Heights shares a lot in common with the GCC schools. That was the most bogus excuse you can find. We have yet to hear anything about Euclid thinking of leaving the GCC and it is by far the school that would have faced those "issues." Elyria, which is probably the most inner-city of the GCC schools in terms of socioeconomics had a great relationship with its fellow GCC schools. It left, with no hard feelings on any side, when it was finally included into a league that it probably should have been in a decade ago. Lorain, IMO, would fit in fine with the GCC. Playing Lorain wouldn't be culture shock for any of the schools.

Sign me up for Berea and Stow if I had the choice. Can't see either leaving though.

Massillon is far away from everyone and it's non football sports are pretty bad. Would be exciting for football though

McKinley won't leave Big fish in the fed. Wouldnt be that in the gcc

I doubt Cleveland hts or Lorain will leave the lel for the gcc. Would be fits to balance east and west

I'd rather have Berea and Stow with my new home location ?. Walsh Jesuit would work too. I'd take thrm or Benedictine who are D1 in some non football sports but don't know if theyd want in

I hope we get stories like the suburban league did on the leadup. Rumors and the schools that applied if any actually do so

I'm not even sure why you brought up Shaker's "reason" for leaving, especially since culturally Shaker Heights shares a lot in common with the GCC schools. That was the most bogus excuse you can find. We have yet to hear anything about Euclid thinking of leaving the GCC and it is by far the school that would have faced those "issues." Elyria, which is probably the most inner-city of the GCC schools in terms of socioeconomics had a great relationship with its fellow GCC schools. It left, with no hard feelings on any side, when it was finally included into a league that it probably should have been in a decade ago. Lorain, IMO, would fit in fine with the GCC. Playing Lorain wouldn't be culture shock for any of the schools.
"Diversity/Cultural Sensitivity Issues: Our student-athletes have had to deal with multiple instances where they have been the subject of racial slurs on the athletic playing fields. While our student-athletes have dealt with each of these incidents in a remarkably poised way, it is something that must be given serious consideration when making a decision about conference affiliation. The lack of diversity and cultural sensitivity in some of the communities in the GCC is a real concern."
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-an...l-athletics-from-greater-cleveland-conference

That's part of the reasons/excuses Shaker gave when leaving the GCC for the LEL. I never took it seriously, and recall they were ridiculed by many on here when that unfortunate statement went public.

I recommended Lorain head to the GCC in a previous post, though I would prefer them in the SWC...and they would prefer it, too.

Sign me up for Berea and Stow if I had the choice. Can't see either leaving though.

Massillon is far away from everyone and it's non football sports are pretty bad. Would be exciting for football though

McKinley won't leave Big fish in the fed. Wouldnt be that in the gcc

I doubt Cleveland hts or Lorain will leave the lel for the gcc. Would be fits to balance east and west

I'd rather have Berea and Stow with my new home location ?. Walsh Jesuit would work too. I'd take thrm or Benedictine who are D1 in some non football sports but don't know if theyd want in

I hope we get stories like the suburban league did on the leadup. Rumors and the schools that applied if any actually do so

I'm definitely in agreement for Berea and Stow, for the same reasons. I've been a Berea cheerleader in the past, but I'm convinced they know they can get into a westside league whenever it makes sense for them, so I'm done holding my breath. Stow absolutely is a GCC school (football/basketball/all-sports profile) but I can't see them leaving the SL unless they become Solon like and are kicked out.

Walsh does make some sense, though, its like the non-threatening Catholic so I can see them not having much difficulty finding games and I'm not sure they would want to continue taking lumps in football in the GCC (basketball is on the up at Walsh, though). Benedictine, I would also be ok with, but I never really thought they would be realistic.

"Diversity/Cultural Sensitivity Issues: Our student-athletes have had to deal with multiple instances where they have been the subject of racial slurs on the athletic playing fields. While our student-athletes have dealt with each of these incidents in a remarkably poised way, it is something that must be given serious consideration when making a decision about conference affiliation. The lack of diversity and cultural sensitivity in some of the communities in the GCC is a real concern."
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-an...l-athletics-from-greater-cleveland-conference

That's part of the reasons/excuses Shaker gave when leaving the GCC for the LEL. I never took it seriously, and recall they were ridiculed by many on here when that unfortunate statement went public.

I recommended Lorain head to the GCC in a previous post, though I would prefer them in the SWC...and they would prefer it, too.

I'm well aware of that article. Doesn't show any evidence of why Shaker really left the GCC. And I say that as somebody who will say that absolutely a slur, probably even multiple slurs, have been tossed around over the course of 5-6 years, unfortunately. I'm also sure Shaker kids/fans were also perfect angels.

Overall, I'm with you. If the SWC forces Berea's hands and kicks them out, they can take Lorain and the GCC can add Berea. But we know that's not happening.

I think the fact the GCC publicly put it out there that they are accepting applications, means there has to be some back channeling going on. I don't see why they would announce anything if they thought it was going to be pointless there wouldn't be realistic applicants.

Who are those applicants going to be, though, is the question? I think Ed's/Iggy should apply just to see what happens. I doubt the GCC would even accept them even if they are the only two school that apply (and adding both would put the league at 8). But they talk about no locals willing to play them, make that be known ... though, maybe that would be why they don't apply, because if they would do that and the league would somehow say OK and they declined, that talking point is out the window.

The Yappi boards are no stranger to crackpot theories, and this might be the best one I've read lately. You're normally a sensical poster, so I'll chalk this up to too much time deep in your thoughts during the stay at home order.

The Yappi boards are no stranger to crackpot theories, and this might be the best one I've read lately. You're normally a sensical poster, so I'll chalk this up to too much time deep in your thoughts during the stay at home order.

Yeah, I was trolling. But still think they should apply to end that crackpot theory, lol.

I think the fact the GCC publicly put it out there that they are accepting applications, means there has to be some back channeling going on. I don't see why they would announce anything if they thought it was going to be pointless there wouldn't be realistic applicants.

I feel the opposite. I think because they are putting it out there publicly, they need to try and garner as much attention as possible. If all of these private discussions and back channeling was going on, there wouldn't be as big of a need to push it publicly. The GCC needs all the attention it can get to possibly get some applications.

My wildcard to apply is Walsh Jesuit. Besides them, I think all of these schools mentioned have a lot more reasons NOT to apply than they have reasons to apply. The only exception would be if a league is pushing a school out of a league. But we haven't heard any evidence of that happening with potential fits like Berea, Lorain, Stow, etc. The existing independents (Massillon, Ignatius, Eds, the NCL fall-out) are either too dominant (Ignatius/Eds), too far away (Massillon), or too small (most of the NCL) to be interested in the GCC.

With Shaker out, let's look at how the GCC filled that open week. Thanks to EagleFan for posting the schedules.

Week 4: Strongsville is playing at Midview
Week 5: Solon is playing at Erie Cathedral Prep (North Olmsted was SWC open week)
Week 6: Brunswick is hosting Olmsted Falls
Week 7: Elyria is playing at Avon Lake
Week 8: Mentor is hosting Berea
Week 9: Medina is hosting WGH (Westlake was SWC open week)
Week 10: Euclid is hosting Benedictine (North Ridgeville was SWC open week)

A nice little relationship between GCC and SWC for this season. Both leagues had open dates during what is normally league play due to Shaker/Lakewood leaving and giving both leagues an odd number for 2020. It was nice to see many match up on mutual open dates, even though the GCC is a DI league compared to the SWC which is all DII except for Berea.

I don't think it would've been beneficial for Solon to play North Olmsted, Medina to play Westlake, or Euclid to play North Ridgeville. All three of those GCC teams have playoff aspirations, so their schedule of Erie Prep, WGH, and Benedictine is much more appropriate. Avon and Amherst had their open weeks early, and thus were unavailable in Weeks 4-10.

The SWC will be at 8 teams for the 2021 season, so these will all be one-year deals. I'm pleasantly surprised Berea was willing to schedule Mentor. Considering all of these SWC/GCC matchups are one-year deals with no ability to return a home game, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the visiting teams got some $$ for the transaction. Maybe some more than others. As for the other games (Euclid/Benedictine, Medina/WGH, and Solon/Erie Prep) - I don't know if any of these are mutli-year deals. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

With Shaker out, let's look at how the GCC filled that open week. Thanks to EagleFan for posting the schedules.

Week 4: Strongsville is playing at Midview
Week 5: Solon is playing at Erie Cathedral Prep (North Olmsted was SWC open week)
Week 6: Brunswick is hosting Olmsted Falls
Week 7: Elyria is playing at Avon Lake
Week 8: Mentor is hosting Berea
Week 9: Medina is hosting WGH (Westlake was SWC open week)
Week 10: Euclid is hosting Benedictine (North Ridgeville was SWC open week)

A nice little relationship between GCC and SWC for this season. Both leagues had open dates during what is normally league play due to Shaker/Lakewood leaving and giving both leagues an odd number for 2020. It was nice to see many match up on mutual open dates, even though the GCC is a DI league compared to the SWC which is all DII except for Berea.

I don't think it would've been beneficial for Solon to play North Olmsted, Medina to play Westlake, or Euclid to play North Ridgeville. All three of those GCC teams have playoff aspirations, so their schedule of Erie Prep, WGH, and Benedictine is much more appropriate. Avon and Amherst had their open weeks early, and thus were unavailable in Weeks 4-10.

The SWC will be at 8 teams for the 2021 season, so these will all be one-year deals. I'm pleasantly surprised Berea was willing to schedule Mentor. Considering all of these SWC/GCC matchups are one-year deals with no ability to return a home game, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the visiting teams got some $$ for the transaction. Maybe some more than others. As for the other games (Euclid/Benedictine, Medina/WGH, and Solon/Erie Prep) - I don't know if any of these are mutli-year deals. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

I thought that Benny & Euclid have a 2 year deal but arbiter shows Benny playing Nordonia week 10 in 2021. That doesn't seem right.

I could actually see Benedictine and Hoban play the top tier GCC football teams in the 2nd half of the schedule as they both will have issues getting games since the NCL disbanded. Mentor v Hoban would be a good game, same with a Solon v Benedictine.

Nordonia could have a bye in week 10 in 2021 because the side of the SL that has seven teams is changing (I forget if it's for Fall 2020 or Fall 2021).

Euclid's schedule is likely to have "significant" changes for 2021 since that year Elyria moves out of the GCC as well as Shaker already being out of the league. The GCC would only have six teams and five league games for 2021.

Who are the top returning players by position in the conference? Let's start with QB. There are a few good ones comping back: Ian Kipp (Mentor), Drew Allar (Medina), Pat McQuaide (Solon)

McQuaide is a four year starter. He led Solon to the playoffs the past two seasons. In 2019, McQuaide threw for 2,000 yards, 20 TD's, and just 2 INT's. In almost any other league, he would be the top dog. In the GCC, he is a distant 3rd. Kipp was the DI Co-Offensive POY with his huge numbers (4,000+ total yards and 42 TD's) that included comeback wins against St Ignatius and St Edward (twice). Kipp is a nice recruit, but Allar has a higher ceiling. Just a junior, Allar only played about half the season last year. He made an impression though, and has offers to Pitt and a few MAC schools. But at the high school level in the 2020 season, I think Kipp will have the edge over Allar due to Kipp's athletic ability and play making with his feet.

Euclid, Strongsville, and Elyria graduated their starters. Brunswick's Jacob Scherette does return.

Who are the top returning players by position in the conference? Let's start with QB. There are a few good ones comping back: Ian Kipp (Mentor), Drew Allar (Medina), Pat McQuaide (Solon)

McQuaide is a four year starter. He led Solon to the playoffs the past two seasons. In 2019, McQuaide threw for 2,000 yards, 20 TD's, and just 2 INT's. In almost any other league, he would be the top dog. In the GCC, he is a distant 3rd. Kipp was the DI Co-Offensive POY with his huge numbers (4,000+ total yards and 42 TD's) that included comeback wins against St Ignatius and St Edward (twice). Kipp is a nice recruit, but Allar has a higher ceiling. Just a junior, Allar only played about half the season last year. He made an impression though, and has offers to Pitt and a few MAC schools. But at the high school level in the 2020 season, I think Kipp will have the edge over Allar due to Kipp's athletic ability and play making with his feet.

Euclid, Strongsville, and Elyria graduated their starters. Brunswick's Jacob Scherette does return.

Just looking at guys who are getting D1 looks and it looks like there is quite a bit of P5 talent in the league. Here are the ones who have major offers (or potentially could end up at a P5 school). Add on any that I missed.

2021:

Najee Story, DE, Solon: 4-star prospect with a ton off big-time offers (OSU, Alabama, etc. ... but has to have a big senior season for them to be commitable at that level)

Armond Scott, WR, Euclid: 3-star prospect with some P5 offers (Kentucky, etc.)

Thomas Rimac, OL, Brunswick: Another three-star type who has some P5 offers.

Ian Kipp, QB, Mentor: He's going at least MAC, but I think will get some bigger offers if he puts up another huge year.

2022:
Blake Miller, OT, Strongsville: Looking like will be a top 100 overall prospect. Ohio State just offered him yesterday (Florida a couple days before that). Strongsville always seems to have a stud lineman.

Drew Allar, QB, Medina: His stock will go way up. He is the prototype of what an NFL QB "should look like" ... 6-5, 220 as a to-be Junior .. and a kid who is way more athletic than what people would expect. He is also a borderline D1 basketball player if he wanted to focus on that sport ... he was trying to throw down on people in traffic this past year (albeit in JV games). I'm telling you, he will end up picking which college he wants to go to.

2023:

Brennon Vernon, DE/DT, Mentor: He seems like a lock to be a high caliber national recruit. Pretty much every college in the country will be on him.

Those are the biggest recruiting names in the league that I am aware of too. I know that Mentor doesn’t have any other guys on the DI radar beside Kipp/Vernon.

As for Story, I don’t think he has to further earn an OSU offer with his play in 2020. He is a top 10 recruit in Ohio. The Buckeyes offered him and would gladly take his commit.

Those are the biggest recruiting names in the league that I am aware of too. I know that Mentor doesn’t have any other guys on the DI radar beside Kipp/Vernon.

As for Story, I don’t think he has to further earn an OSU offer with his play in 2020. He is a top 10 recruit in Ohio. The Buckeyes offered him and would gladly take his commit.

Buckeye recruiting insiders have been reporting for some time now that things have cooled with Story. 4-star frame, but the production hasn’t matched. Don’t think he could commit right now if he wanted to. Space is tightening up in the 2021 class and other national prospects are higher on the board.

That very well could be true. Someone better tell Najee that though as he narrows his top 5:

The GCC is my favorite conference and my favorite to be a part of. The conference should be very very deep this year. Expect a very good season. Mentor will be the favorite but this could be the year we see another team hand them a loss. The best and most consistent team will win.

Buckeye recruiting insiders have been reporting for some time now that things have cooled with Story. 4-star frame, but the production hasn’t matched. Don’t think he could commit right now if he wanted to. Space is tightening up in the 2021 class and other national prospects are higher on the board.
He was not at 100 percent. He will have a big 2020.

The GCC is my favorite conference and my favorite to be a part of. The conference should be very very deep this year. Expect a very good season. Mentor will be the favorite but this could be the year we see another team hand them a loss. The best and most consistent team will win.

In the first five years of the league, Mentor has five league losses. Three to Solon (2015, 2016, 2018), one to Euclid (2016), and one to Elyria (2015). The 2017 and 2019 teams are the only seasons where Mentor won the league outright. I think people outside the league might find that surprising - but it is true. More often than not, Mentor hasn't won the league outright in the GCC. Solon is actually 3-2 against Mentor as members of the GCC.

In the NOC, Mentor mostly dominated. In the four seasons of their involvement (2011-2014), Mentor lost just two games out of 28. One to Twinsburg in Week 10 in 2011. To this day, it is probably the most surprising regular season loss. The other was to a super good Hudson team in 2014. Mentor went 18-2 in the Valley Division of the NOC from 2011-2014. They were a perfect 8-0 in crossovers.

From 2001-2010 in the LEL, Mentor had a 48-3 league record. The three losses were to Shaker (2004 in OT) and Euclid (2005 and 2007). You can see why with that dominance that both sides would want a change.

Last edited:
Two more GCC players (both from Euclid) commit to DI schools this week.

WR Armond Scott (6'3, 200) commits to Kentucky
DE/OL Alex Reese (6'4, 280) commits to Akron

Euclid is pretty loaded with talent this year.

I see Euclid's Atiba Fitz has recently picked up offers from all the service academies, so the Panthers will have at least 3 D1 players this fall.

Strongsville junior Blake Miller picked up a big offer from Auburn the other day.

Brunswick's Thomas Rimac has also picked up a bunch of P5 offers too... Minnesota, Wisconsin and others.

And I saw that Mentor's Brenan Vernan was offered by Nebraska. But probably just a matter of time for the OSU one to come.

So, once again the league looks littered with some high level college talent.

I see Euclid's Atiba Fitz has recently picked up offers from all the service academies, so the Panthers will have at least 3 D1 players this fall.

Strongsville junior Blake Miller picked up another big offer from Auburn the other day, but I have to imagine he will end up at OSU if that offer is commitable. With the offers he is racking up, have to think it is.

Brunswick's Thomas Rimac has also picked up a bunch of P5 offers too... Minnesota, Wisconsin and others.

And I saw that Mentor's Brenan Vernan was offered by Nebraska. But probably just a matter of time for the OSU one to come.

So, once again the league looks littered with some high level college talent.

Thoughts on the playoff expansion?? It's looking like the GCC will be one of the biggest benefactors of this. Last year, 6 of the 12 R1 spots would have been GCC schools, and looking back on the hypothetical seedings, overall, it seems like there would've been some good matchups even by "diluting" the field.

Round One:

(12) Strongsville at (5) Solon: A rematch in a competitive game from two weeks earlier. It probably would have been another competitive game.

(11) Brunswick at (6) Jackson: Another game that looks to have been competitive.

(10) St. Ignatius at (7) Medina: At first glance, would've sucked for Medina to catch what was the third best team in the region that was squeezed out. But Medina was the 7 anyway, which meant it was going on the road against Mentor/Ed's regardless. Now, at least Medina gets a home game and the way the offense was humming at the end of the year, they would've put up points on Iggy like they did against Ed's. Iggy probably would've outscored them, but instead of 73-38 (Ed's), it may have been more like a 55-45 barn-burner.

(9) Stow at (8) Cleveland Heights: Another game that looks to be competitive.

So while a one-year sample size, an expanded format last year, probably makes the region more competitive ... mainly because of Iggy, but I don't see any bad games of the four.

Round Two:

(5) Solon at (4) McKinley: I'll assume Solon wins again. You now have the same matchup, which McKinley won 29-25. Even if Strongsville beat Solon, I think they would've given McKinley a game.

(8) Cleveland Heights at (1) Mentor: Doesn't matter. Mentor was drilling either, but at least either Heights or Stow would've competed in one playoff game before getting blown out.

(6) Jackson at (3) Euclid: See the Solon/Strongsville scenario. Whoever won this game, gives Euclid a game.

(10) St. Ignatius at (2) St. Edward. This is the biggest swing. Ed's-Iggy is always a toss up due to the nature of the schools/rivalry. If Medina would have upset Iggy, worst case is you would've had what was a pretty entertaining Medina-Ed's game a round later.

After that, everything would've fallen into place like it did. Mentor probably would've won, it was just a matter of whether Ed's (or Iggy) met them in the final.

I'm sure this will probably add more lopsided matchups in some of the smaller divisions, but for R1 and the GCC, I don't see anything to complain about ... and it looks like it could help the remaining GCC schools (along with Ed's and Iggy) in scheduling. I won't say that it's a life jacket being thrown out if the league is stuck at 6, but with the extra playoff spots, it should open up the pool to fill open dates.

Thoughts on the playoff expansion?? It's looking like the GCC will be one of the biggest benefactors of this. Last year, 6 of the 12 R1 spots would have been GCC schools, and looking back on the hypothetical seedings, overall, it seems like there would've been some good matchups even by "diluting" the field.

Round One:

(12) Strongsville at (5) Solon: A rematch in a competitive game from two weeks earlier. It probably would have been another competitive game.

(11) Brunswick at (6) Jackson: Another game that looks to have been competitive.

(10) St. Ignatius at (7) Medina: At first glance, would've sucked for Medina to catch what was the third best team in the region that was squeezed out. But Medina was the 7 anyway, which meant it was going on the road against Mentor/Ed's regardless. Now, at least Medina gets a home game and the way the offense was humming at the end of the year, they would've put up points on Iggy like they did against Ed's. Iggy probably would've outscored them, but instead of 73-38 (Ed's), it may have been more like a 55-45 barn-burner.

(9) Stow at (8) Cleveland Heights: Another game that looks to be competitive.

So while a one-year sample size, an expanded format last year, probably makes the region more competitive ... mainly because of Iggy, but I don't see any bad games of the four.

Round Two:

(5) Solon at (4) McKinley: I'll assume Solon wins again. You now have the same matchup, which McKinley won 29-25. Even if Strongsville beat Solon, I think they would've given McKinley a game.

(8) Cleveland Heights at (1) Mentor: Doesn't matter. Mentor was drilling either, but at least either Heights or Stow would've competed in one playoff game before getting blown out.

(6) Jackson at (3) Euclid: See the Solon/Strongsville scenario. Whoever won this game, gives Euclid a game.

(10) St. Ignatius at (2) St. Edward. This is the biggest swing. Ed's-Iggy is always a toss up due to the nature of the schools/rivalry. If Medina would have upset Iggy, worst case is you would've had what was a pretty entertaining Medina-Ed's game a round later.

After that, everything would've fallen into place like it did. Mentor probably would've won, it was just a matter of whether Ed's (or Iggy) met them in the final.

I'm sure this will probably add more lopsided matchups in some of the smaller divisions, but for R1 and the GCC, I don't see anything to complain about ... and it looks like it could help the remaining GCC schools (along with Ed's and Iggy) in scheduling. I won't say that it's a life jacket being thrown out if the league is stuck at 6, but with the extra playoff spots, it should open up the pool to fill open dates.
I immediately thought of this league when they announced the playoff expansion. Perhaps a couple schools who thought football life in the league might be too difficult will be more attracted knowing maybe a 5-5 gets them into post-season contention?

By 2021, 2/3 of DI teams will make the playoffs. I imagine that the GCC will easily send 4 or 5, and possibly all 6 teams to the playoffs. I don’t know if that will impact a team’s decision to give the league a try, but it doesn’t hurt.

On the one hand, expansion should loosen programs’ scheduling priorities a little bit as it is easier to make the playoffs. But on the other hand, there will be more incentive to finishing top four than ever before.

By 2021, 2/3 of DI teams will make the playoffs. I imagine that the GCC will easily send 4 or 5, and possibly all 6 teams to the playoffs. I don’t know if that will impact a team’s decision to give the league a try, but it doesn’t hurt.

On the one hand, expansion should loosen programs’ scheduling priorities a little bit as it is easier to make the playoffs. But on the other hand, there will be more incentive to finishing top four than ever before.
Good points by you and the others on this. I also agree that this would only help us get expansion candidates. Leagues are for all sports but football does help drive them. But now a team could sustain more losses and get in

Maybe it helps Mentor to schedule some more publics out of conference now. One can hope

I wish Stow would step up. Solid all around program in sports. Think a step up would do them a lot of good.

I also think if you are making top 4 most of the time you aren't one of the schools playing all cupcakes and being scared to step up on your schedule in parts