Best #1 Pick since 2000 to the Present?

Best #1 Pick since 2000 to the Present?

• 2000 Courtney Brown (DE) Penn State (Cleveland Browns)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2001 Michael Vick (QB) Virginia Tech (Atlanta Falcons)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 2002 David Carr (QB) Fresno State (Houston Texans)

• 2003 Carson Palmer (QB) USC (Cincinnati Bengals)

• 2004 Eli Manning (QB) Ole Miss (San Diego Chargers)

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • 2005 Alex Smith (QB) Utah (San Francisco 49ers)

• 2006 Mario Williams (DE) North Carolina State (Houston Texans)

• 2007 JaMarcus Russell (QB) LSU (Oakland Raiders)

• 2008 Jake Long (T) Michigan (Miami Dolphins)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 2009 Matthew Stafford (QB) Georgia (Detroit Lions)

• 2010 Sam Bradford (QB) Oklahoma (St. Louis Rams)

• 2011 Cam Newton (QB) Auburn (Carolina Panthers)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 2012 Andrew Luck (QB) Stanford (Indianapolis Colts)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 2013 Eric Fisher (T) Central Michigan (Kansas City Chiefs)

• 2014 Jadeveon Clowney (DE) South Carolina (Houston Texans)

• 2015 Jameis Winston (QB) Florida State (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 2016 Jared Goff (QB) California (Los Angeles Rams)

• 2017 Myles Garrett (DE) Texas A&M (Cleveland Browns)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 2018 Baker Mayfield (QB) Oklahoma (Cleveland Browns)

• 2019 Kyler Murray (QB) Oklahoma (Arizona Cardinals)

• 2020 Joe Burrow (QB) LSU (Cincinnati Bengals)

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
2000 Courtney Brown (DE) Penn State (Cleveland Browns)
2001 Michael Vick (QB) Virginia Tech (Atlanta Falcons)
2002 David Carr (QB) Fresno State (Houston Texans§)
2003 Carson Palmer (QB) USC (Cincinnati Bengals)
2004 Eli Manning (QB) Ole Miss (San Diego Chargers)
2005 Alex Smith (QB) Utah (San Francisco 49ers)
2006 Mario Williams (DE) North Carolina State (Houston Texans)
2007 JaMarcus Russell (QB) LSU (Oakland Raiders)
2008 Jake Long (T) Michigan (Miami Dolphins)
2009 Matthew Stafford (QB) Georgia (Detroit Lions)
2010 Sam Bradford (QB) Oklahoma (St. Louis Rams)
2011 Cam Newton (QB) Auburn (Carolina Panthers)
2012 Andrew Luck (QB) Stanford (Indianapolis Colts)
2013 Eric Fisher (T) Central Michigan (Kansas City Chiefs)
2014 Jadeveon Clowney (DE) South Carolina (Houston Texans)
2015 Jameis Winston (QB) Florida State (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
2016 Jared Goff (QB) California (Los Angeles Rams)
2017 Myles Garrett (DE) Texas A&M (Cleveland Browns)
2018 Baker Mayfield (QB) Oklahoma (Cleveland Browns)
2019 Kyler Murray (QB) Oklahoma (Arizona Cardinals)
2020 Joe Burrow (QB) LSU (Cincinnati Bengals)

That’s a fairly pathetic list, considering the hype of being THE pick of the draft.

It would have been Luck possibly, but his career was cut short.

I would probably go with Eli, but it’s not like he was awesome.

It's amazing how bad that list is. I voted Jameis Winston, now that he's had laser eye surgery he is going to be a monster.

A lot of duds and meh careers. Luck was by far the most talented NFL player on this list out of the guys who have played more than a few seasons IMO, although he cut things short and retired in his prime.

There’s more Undrafted FAs in the HOF than #1 picks. Not entirely shocking bc the pool of players is so much larger for UDFA, but still interesting

There’s more Undrafted FAs in the HOF than #1 picks. Not entirely shocking bc the pool of players is so much larger for UDFA, but still interesting
It’s the work ethic. #1 pick can be hard since most go from poor to extremely rich in 1 year

I’d say Luck. That list really strikes at all the #1 hype. Never really struck me til now the mediocrity.

It’s the work ethic. #1 pick can be hard since most go from poor to extremely rich in 1 year
I’m sure that’s part of it, also doesn’t help the #1 pick is almost always going to be on a crappy team. The reality is a lot of luck is involved just based on organizational fit. If the Browns drafted Mahomes #1 instead of Garret, he wouldn’t be the Super Star he is today.

I’m sure that’s part of it, also doesn’t help the #1 pick is almost always going to be on a crappy team. The reality is a lot of luck is involved just based on organizational fit. If the Browns drafted Mahomes #1 instead of Garret, he wouldn’t be the Super Star he is today.

I'm sure he would have flourished under Hue and Freddie.

Luck was probably the most talented but he only played 6 seasons. Eli played 16 seasons, started 210 straight games, is the seventh all-time leader in passing yards and eighth in touchdowns, and has two Super Bowl rings. As much as I was not a big fan, that's a hell of a resume and it will get him to Canton.

Yeah, it’s hard for a QB if he’s fed to the fire fast on a bad team

This is the correct order:

Eli Manning
Matt Stafford
Mike Vick
Carson Palmer
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Alex Smith
Jameis Winston
Jadeveon Clowney
Jake Long
Eric Fisher
Mario Williams
Sam Bradford
David Carr
Courtney Brown
Jamarcus Russell

Players with less than five years played cannot be properly evaluated yet

I would put Mario Williams and Long ahead of Winston. Williams had seasons with more sacks than Clowney’s entire career. I’d drop Stafford a few spots. A lot of decent numbers, but can’t get a team anywhere because he can’t win when it matters.

That’s a fairly pathetic list, considering the hype of being THE pick of the draft.

It would have been Luck possibly, but his career was cut short.

I would probably go with Eli, but it’s not like he was awesome.

Eli was definitely the most successful, not sure he was the best though. Luck was probably the best talent but constantly injured and retired early.

Just goes to show the #1 pick doesn't mean much. I'd have to say Eli. He's got two rings and a long meaningful career. Most of the rest are busts.

Yes, but you'd think because the #1 pick gets a long rope, there would be more success there.

There’s a few components to it.

1. Having little to no help to start out with.

2. Bad teams draft poorly so the help never really comes.

3. Being overplayed because you’re the big money new guy.

4. Getting hurt and made to play through it or come back too soon because of #3.

5. Being overhyped out of college and overdrafted; never living up to expectations.

6. Need-based drafting instead of fit-based (probably related to #2). Have to think different systems could have helped some of those guys.

There’s a few components to it.

1. Having little to no help to start out with.

2. Bad teams draft poorly so the help never really comes.

3. Being overplayed because you’re the big money new guy.

4. Getting hurt and made to play through it or come back too soon because of #3.

5. Being overhyped out of college and overdrafted; never living up to expectations.

6. Need-based drafting instead of fit-based (probably related to #2). Have to think different systems could have helped some of those guys.
Yep. That covers a lot of those picks.

That's the benefit Eli got by pressing his trade to NYG. He was able to avoid some of the early pounding those guys take with bad franchises. The Giants weren't good, but they could at last keep him alive. He was also able to work in with a good vet, Kurt Warner.

That's the benefit Eli got by pressing his trade to NYG. He was able to avoid some of the early pounding those guys take with bad franchises. The Giants weren't good, but they could at last keep him alive. He was also able to work in with a good vet, Kurt Warner.
How good would have Elway been had he not insisted on being traded from the Colts ?