Favorite movie that you feel is underappreciated?

Speaking of wrestling movies, a few come to mind. Vision Quest and Win Win were good.

Pro Wrestlers Vs. Zombies, however, combines sports and the living dead....can't get any better than that. Several well know pro wrestlers featured in this flick including Kurt Angle, Roddy Piper, Jim Duggan, plus many others.
Speaking of rowdy Roddy Piper.....remember the movie "They Live"?

Beautiful Girls -- Just an overall great movie.
Diner -- Makes me wish I'd lived back then.
Hi Fidelity -- Good movie and Jack Black at his funniest
Farewell to the King -- Nick Nolte as an American deserter in WW2.
The Longest Day -- D-Day done as well as it could be done considering the technology of the time it was made.
Doc Hollywood -- Don't know why, but this silly movie always makes me feel good. A nude, young Julie Warner helps a lot.

Here are a couple hot takes:

The Wrestler is a sports movie. Since 95% of sports movies are trash, The Wrestler is without question the greatest sports film ever made.

So my point is that The Wrestler is underappreciated as a sports movie.
The Wrestler is a sports movie in the same way Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Beautiful Girls -- Just an overall great movie.
Diner -- Makes me wish I'd lived back then.
Hi Fidelity -- Good movie and Jack Black at his funniest
Farewell to the King -- Nick Nolte as an American deserter in WW2.
The Longest Day -- D-Day done as well as it could be done considering the technology of the time it was made.
Doc Hollywood -- Don't know why, but this silly movie always makes me feel good. A nude, young Julie Warner helps a lot.
Doc Hollywood. Some good lol moments in that one.

Yes, those wagons trapped by winter was the obvious reference to the Donner party who had a few friends for dinner
during this same timeframe of 1846-1847 leading to the old punch line , " Donner, Donner party of 8, your table is ready "
That buffet line at Donner Pass always had a long wait.

btw, Jeremiah Johnson is an excellent movie, especially Will Geer was a great addition breaking the solitude for Robert Redford. always talking about the " grizz".

JB
Maybe, but I never took it that way.

Back to School is another I just thought of, here are accouple all time greats on the top of their game>
One of my favorite lines from a movie. I've repeated this line a bunch of times over the years when someone in college says they have class. My nieces and nephews don't think it's funny anymore...

Great thread, some excellent movies that I will need to check out and a few I need to re-watch.

My choice is "The Drop".

Running Scared - funny, clever banter between Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines throughout a fairly entertaining movie.

It’s more drama than sports related. How much time of the total movie is centered around actual wrestling? From what I remember, it’s maybe 5 minutes of screen time.

Wikipedia is an excellent source of free information; this isn't a college term paper ffs.

Better yet; when 'Jeopardy' had IBM's 'Watson' vs: former Jeopardy champions...
Wikipedia was one of it's sources when looking for the answer.

:>---

Yesterday - 4/27 marked the anniversary of the US Marine's assault on Derna;
"shores of Tripoli" part of the Marines' Hymn commemorates this event.
1805: While Marines are noted for amphibious actions, in this case the 'Sea
Soldiers' flanked the fortified positions by marching over 500 miles from the
East picking up additional mercenaries {Berbers) in route.
Tripoli is the bay where the port city of Derna was located.

Semper Fi

Last edited:
What about 'The Warriors"? I remember the scene, "Warriors, come out and plaaaaaaayyyyyyy" while hitting two beer bottles together that his fingers were in.