What to do for kids / Seniors?

psycho_dad

Up until about a week ago, I really thought there would be some sort of season for the kids. (Edit out all the stuff I had to say about who I'm disappointed in and why) Now that the dream is dead, what are some ideas of what to do for the kids and especially the seniors? I'm not big on stuff like turning the lights on for 20 min and 20 seconds. I want something more meaningful. Any good ideas out there?

I just can't see anything that would come close to making up for what they all had to miss. No thing can make up for lost experiences and memories. It is just not sports it is prom, graduation, senior/class field trips and the joy of going to your last day of school and sharing all of those experiences with your fiends.

Believe me, I know. My son is sort of a late bloomer. He had a lead roll in the school musical, Track and Field which is huge for him (Had a school record in his reach) , Big Talent show, Choir concerts, Graduation, 18th birthday, Prom, Graduation parties. So, we need to do something. What do we do about varsity letters? 3 year/ 4 year awards? My son just wants one more track meet. Even if it's against teammates. One more meet. He told me the other day he wanted one more meet.

Maybe the no contact period will expire by early(ish) May and schools could have an intrasquad meet for those kids interested?

Obviously nothing is going to measure up to everything they missed, but...

I feel you Psychodad. We had a senior on this years team who took 3rd at state last year. Now he wont get a chance to win a ring. Wish there was some way we could make it up to him and all the seniors on this years team.

They really deserve the senior night recognition in person, even if we have to wait until the fall, winter, or even spring. The social media recognition is lame. I see coaches posting things on Facebook and Twitter. Most of athletes are not even on that and don’t care.

Maybe the no contact period will expire by early(ish) May and schools could have an intrasquad meet for those kids interested?

Obviously nothing is going to measure up to everything they missed, but...
My guess is the no contact period will end when school is "officially" over, but who knows.

What have you heard about schools giving varsity letters. One I heard is doing this.

All seniors get varsity letter
10th,11th grade if got a varsity letter last year will get one this year.
9th if was on roster this year and next year earn a varsity letter will get one for both years.

What have you heard about schools giving varsity letters. One I heard is doing this.

All seniors get varsity letter
10th,11th grade if got a varsity letter last year will get one this year.
9th if was on roster this year and next year earn a varsity letter will get one for both years.
This seems fair to me. It doesn't make 4 year awards impossible for a few years going forward and outside of seniors their is some level of work that went into earning them.

Believe me, I know. My son is sort of a late bloomer. He had a lead roll in the school musical, Track and Field which is huge for him (Had a school record in his reach) , Big Talent show, Choir concerts, Graduation, 18th birthday, Prom, Graduation parties. So, we need to do something. What do we do about varsity letters? 3 year/ 4 year awards? My son just wants one more track meet. Even if it's against teammates. One more meet. He told me the other day he wanted one more meet.
High School is over. Only option is to continue training and be hopeful USA T&F meets is allowed soon.

The AD has been spotlighting different Senior athletes each day on twitter. I have had to do write ups on each of the Senior boy track athletes. They went in alphabetical order so I spread mine out over the past few weeks. It was easier to do them early when I was confident that there would be a season. I did my last one last night and it was rough. They have been harder to do since finding out that there is no season for them, but hitting the send button on the last one took a few extra seconds. Hitting send meant it was all over. There are some classes that you are just ready to be done with. Some you wish could stay forever. We have championship banners in the gym that only has one missing year for the girls since 2006 for league championship and that's just because it's a mistake that they accidentally missed it when they made the banner. Just a lost season. We had just gotten the HJ and PV pits out. Not sure if a single kid got dirty in the sand of the LJ. Not a single race or jump or throw.

The decision was made that if you were a senior, you lettered. If you are a Junior or younger and lettered last year, you lettered this year. If you did not letter last year you can earn two letters next year. We had pictures taken, so the seniors get banners. (Something I can't stand really, but this year is ok with me.)

The competitor in me won't let it go. I'm still posting work outs knowing that only the distance kids are doing anything at this point. And they are killing it. Highly motivated for CC.

My school has decided to give every athlete who was on the roster when we went online a varsity letter...