Dublin Coffman 2019

It appears they are violating a royal edict of emperor DeWine and violaters will be boiled in oil on 26 November this year.

It appears they are violating a royal edict of emperor DeWine and violaters will be boiled in oil on 26 November this year.

Good one USA . The new member and the old passive aggressive doosh Coffman detractor member are desperate for me to go by and watch these 'Workouts" and see his video respectively for some reason . I'm not interested in either and it seems to be peeving them . Ahuum is bent on putting it out in this space that the video being real and breaking some rule , and the other new poster is outraged at the immorality of it all .

Well I'm a fan and go to games , not practices , not workouts, no interest in watching any of this stuff . These guys are . Good for them . So they care a lot so they call people to tell them about what they see and then come here and say they don't care . OK. Do what you will whatever you supposedly have seen personally and video wise { This gets Ahumms blood boiling because he wants everyone to know this major crime was in fact committed because he has the video lol] . I am sure he will post it here any minute and justify it because I don't care to see it . Do what you guys have to do I guess, , not enough to keep you occupied at this horrible time in history ? Apparently . I would say to the anonymous assistant coach who whines to Ahumm about the bad culture of Coffman football program he is part of , he may be should hit the bricks and find another school to coach at may be a head job somewhere , one that is morally superior to the Rock program and more in line with what he considers to be a better cultural fit .

Good one USA . The new member and the old passive aggressive doosh Coffman detractor member are desperate for me to go by and watch these 'Workouts" and see his video respectively for some reason . I'm not interested in either and it seems to be peeving them . Ahuum is bent on putting it out in this space that the video being real and breaking some rule , and the other new poster is outraged at the immorality of it all .

Well I'm a fan and go to games , not practices , not workouts, no interest in watching any of this stuff . These guys are . Good for them . So they care a lot so they call people to tell them about what they see and then come here and say they don't care . OK. Do what you will whatever you supposedly have seen personally and video wise { This gets Ahumms blood boiling because he wants everyone to know this major crime was in fact committed because he has the video lol] . I am sure he will post it here any minute and justify it because I don't care to see it . Do what you guys have to do I guess, , not enough to keep you occupied at this horrible time in history ? Apparently . I would say to the anonymous assistant coach who whines to Ahumm about the bad culture of Coffman football program he is part of , he may be should hit the bricks and find another school to coach at may be a head job somewhere , one that is morally superior to the Rock program and more in line with what he considers to be a better cultural fit .
I dont care if you watch them or not. Its smart for you to say "I heard it wasnt..." rather than watch them and see for yourself. Smart move. It isnt peeving me at all.

its not video. Its videos plural.

As for the assistant coach(es) who question the culture of Coffman football...some of them have left very angry. Then come back. Then left. You get the picture. So, what Im saying is some of them have/do hit the bricks.

I dont care if you watch them or not. Its smart for you to say "I heard it wasnt..." rather than watch them and see for yourself. Smart move. It isnt peeving me at all.

As for the assistant coach(es) who question the culture of Coffman football...some of them have left very angry. Then come back. Then left. You get the picture. So, what Im saying is some of them have/do hit the bricks.

Why come back if the culture is so bad ? Doesn't make sense ? I think there has been excellent continuity on the staff and the culture is one of hard work. The strength program and dedication of the players has improved with Cutler taking over and he has been around for a long while as have many others , so I guess I haven't noticed the musical chairs you are claiming there is . . 19 seasons , only one team that would be considered 'Non Play-off caliber { 2005 6-4 the year after the school split was I believe 10th in the region } only missed two times in the 19 years , the other team was 7-3 in 2008 but got harbined by a couple teams having historically poor seasons was definitely as play-off caliber losing to three play-off teams by one, four and ten points in a game where everything went wrong that could. 11 straight years in the play-offs . Last decade they have been a 9 win a season program { 8.9} , with a high team GPA, many going on to play in college including a good number going D-1 .

Not perfect , no program is , lost a couple play-off games they should have probably won , but what program over 20 years hasn't ? Your definition of what a good culture or program is may be different than mine and it probably is . American culture and Demo's have changed and so has HS athletics culture .

You have a good day sir.

Last edited:
What I see in terms of coaching continuity is { This is year 20 of the current regime } three with the full 20 years { HC obviously } one as a volunteer who has been here the whole time . Another one 19 years one with 17 one with 13 years and one with 7 years . Not bad . There have been who left for better opportunities , [Head job coordinator job , even a college lower level assistant job} and there is a natural turnover that occurs with younger guys . So all in all ? Pretty solid continuity . Over 140 years of experience total within the program . What were they angry about that compelled them to whine to you about it ? And what compelled them to come back to such a bad place ?

Last edited:
So hypothetically , what exact rule is being broken and when will the penalty be assessed ?
Not trying to join into your argument with AHM, just responding to your question...

OHSAA declared March and April as “no contact period” for all sports.

Here is a link to OHSAA’s regulations. https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/GeneralSportsRegulations.pdf
The term “no contact period” is discussed on page 12 of 30.

If coaches were involved in these workouts then they violated this section.

OHSAA also told coaches they were not to encourage kids to work out or practice together. Coaches were told to encourage kids to work out but to do it alone and social distance. We were told that if our lacrosse players organized a group workout they could be ineligible when the season resumed.

Also, OHSAA ordered a mandatory closure of all school owned athletic facilities. I still don’t understand how/why this is being interpreted differently from community to community. Like I said earlier, kids in Pickerington weren’t even allowed to go shoot lacrosse on a practice field by themselves. Tracks were closed to students and public.

Not trying to join into your argument with AHM, just responding to your question...

OHSAA declared March and April as “no contact period” for all sports.

Here is a link to OHSAA’s regulations. https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/GeneralSportsRegulations.pdf
The term “no contact period” is discussed on page 12 of 30.

If coaches were involved in these workouts then they violated this section.

OHSAA also told coaches they were not to encourage kids to work out or practice together. Coaches were told to encourage kids to work out but to do it alone and social distance. We were told that if our lacrosse players organized a group workout they could be ineligible when the season resumed.

Also, OHSAA ordered a mandatory closure of all school owned athletic facilities. I still don’t understand how/why this is being interpreted differently from community to community. Like I said earlier, kids in Pickerington weren’t even allowed to go shoot lacrosse on a practice field by themselves. Tracks were closed to students and public.
Thanks for the thoughts . Again I don’t know what is going on here but a new poster came on and a longtime Coffman detractor joined in . I feel for all football players that are trying to train during this difficult time

It increasingly looks like football at the HS level won't be happening. Mark Porter of Scouting Ohio posted an interesting memo that suggest a " Spring " football season may be a possibility. Well to me it is incredibly interesting as a one year deal . Of course if things are a go then , the next fall would be business as usual and that may tax the kids physically starting back up late July early August after a short break .

Any season under any conditions is better than zero football most would agree . Weather would be reversed a bit , starting off wet and cold and may be snow like the end of the football season , and end in relative warmth . Of course that warmth won't be equivalent to the conditions of camp two a days , scrimmages and the first couple weeks of games.

This whole thing started off as Winter tournaments being played in front of family members , with each player or participant getting a few tickets . That lasted a NY Minute before no fans , then a hiccup later as no games at all . Spring season ? Gone . School? Closed . Fall ? a huge question mark. I hope that there can be staggered attendance and kids can get back to a classroom setting then. Football crowds almost assuredly won't happen in 4-5 months time . Other sports during the fall according to this memo would be played . Most fans follow Scouting Ohio twitter and Mark Porter , if not take a look . It's interesting . This is a fluid situation of course as Scientists and Doctors learn more about the virus , but it doesn't look like things will be back to anything resembling normal for a while. Treatments and vaccines are being worked on at a furious pace so we'll hope for the best but prepare for a longer haul.

Graduation season is dead, no travel , not ceremony's , no party's and celebrations. Football recruiting is paused , camps where kids can show their stuff and possibly impress enough to get noticed by coaches at al levels of play ? Put on hold. Many kids committed earlier as a result . Three Coffman kids committed already including one player who flipped his commitment. Kentucky has recruited Coffman players since they pursued and signed QB Gunnar Hoak . Gunnar is a back-up at OSU now, but played a bit there. Kentucky after Gunnar got there changed the scheme a bit and wanted more of a running QB I think at the time because their O-line wasn't a strength going against SEC defenses and Terry Wilson is a great athlete with foot speed . Gunnar transferred to OSU knowing that starting wasn't going to happen but was a good move in terms of academics { He graduated early from UK and is getting advanced degree} family and personally. Wilson then got hurt at the start of last season and Gunnar had he stayed would have been the QB as he was entrenched as the number 2 guy and throws the ball as well as Wilson does. . UK had a rough time at the QB position after Wilson got hurt.

UK was Drennan's first offer and he eventually signed with them after a very lengthy recruiting process that last well over 3 years . They have also offered rising Seniors Safety AJ Kirk RB- CB -SAF-ATH- Bryon Threats , OLB Devon Williams and DE Hammond Russell . Kirk is undecided after missing this past season with Michigan perhaps being a favorite . Threats committed to Purdue and that looks like a very strong commitment . Russell committed to West Virginia , And Williams originally committed to UK but has since flipped to Minnesota . Minnesota is tending up lately and will be a place he can play sooner than later IMO. Same goes with Threats at Purdue . Drennan is being spoken about down there as a guy who could see snaps early. As is always the case with him, health is key .

My guess is we will know a lot more about the HS football season in a few months , but hopefully even if it is Spring , football will have some kind of season. This is a Coffman thread , and as those who read this space know, I have said this could be their best team since 2007 and that team was capable of winning a state title , losing to a loaded undefeated ST X team with over a dozen D-1 players by three points and were the only team to outgain them all season. This team has that kind of potential , the potential to play with anyone in the state .

NFL draft , the only game in town is tonight. My usual timeline of getting ready to handicap the NFL and College football will be bit derailed of course but, the draft and free agency is always a starting point in coming up with initial power ratings for teams and there is some incredibly interesting storylines in the NFL. Speaking of POTENTIAL great teams , Ohio State will be represented tonight in the first round of the draft and beyond and the 2020 -21 team is loaded as well IMO . Not sure what is in store for the CFB season but suffice to say the stadiums being packed and business as usual seems like a remote possibility , at least in September . Back shortly with some thoughts .

Last edited:
Harry, I saw that "post" as well pushing the football season to the spring. Im taking it with a grain of salt- HS football would run from March 1 with Championships around mid/end of June, then pick right back up in July for 2021? You would basically have back to back seasons running from March until November... I know football now is year round, but I have a hard time seeing that happen. We have a lot of teams that make big playoff runs, they take a couple weeks off then right back at it??

Last edited:
Harry, I saw that "post" as well pushing the football season to the spring. Im taking it with a grain of salt- HS football would run from March 1 with Championships around mid/end of June, then pick right back up in July for 2021? You would basically have back to back seasons running from March until November... I know football now is year round, but I have a hard time seeing that happen

Yes I agree , that would be taxing, but it still wouldn't be a horrible idea. Bad situation in all facets of life affecting so many people. Football at all levels isn't a hug priority in the grand scheme , but this is a HS forum and it's important to a lot of people , most of all the players and coaches .

I think sometimes these types of once a century type times call for a bit of creativity and some sacrifice may be . No sports or activity's at all for kids would be horrible . Lets just hope they can get back to the classroom in an even abbreviated fashion , then go from there. Situation is fluid of course and we are always looking for positive news . Not real happy that things are moving along so slowly in some areas of dealing with this , so not that optimistic to be honest. I have not been a huge advocate for Spring football for High schools here , not against it either .

BUT knowing the logistics of kids being taxed if they went from Spring to fall 2021 football with a lack of rest dynamic, some states have Spring football for about a month as it is , why can't Ohio have a One time Spring season that the players would clearly benefit from including the smaller percentage of kids who want to and are capable of playing in college and whose personal and family financial reality's are affected as well ?

Ohio when compared to some other states is doing pretty well numbers wise . Some county's have very few cases . It does seem though that our leadership is being very cautious and when in doubt will just say no and cancel stuff . Not judging , just saying that's what seems to be expected .

Last edited:
Talking about the 2020 season has an unprecedented dynamic attached to it as in 'Are we going to have games ? Snodgrass says without fans no games? Well it is incredible to me that is by mid to Late August if more and more people are out and about and back to work in some capacity , you couldn't have any games at all . Yes we as a nation seem to be flailing at the response to the pandemic so there has to be that in mind as we see other country's rebound a bit better than we are and seem poised to do , or not do .

Each state has different dynamics as we know , population density , being travel centers from other country's , and the overall mobility of it's citizens. Rural areas do best , crowded city's the worst. Seems to me as I keep learning of the different phases of recovering from this and moving forward that we couldn't have any type of season at all here in Ohio . BUT that seems more likely unfortunately even if the things go well in the next few months. Vice President Pence is on record as saying by Memorial Day weekend this will be pretty much behind us? No one believes that and therein lies a big part of this problem with the Federal leadership . No consistent message , no central plan of action .

The states then are left to go it alone and do what they think is best for their states . To not get back to some semblance of normal life and get the economy moving at least at a certain percentage of full go until their is a vaccine is foolhardy and will be more devastating than the virus itself. Especially kids not being able to go to school and have any activities ? The least vulnerable of the population is shut down completely, stays home and does more school online , may be a small percentage can get to the physical building? No sports ? No clubs ? No Plays, NO nothing , until when ? Sept 2021 ? Just to be ultra safe without an vaccine ?

The crux of the matter is this with the decision makers { Politicians basically} " You will never get any real heat from the majority if you are too cautious, even way too cautious . But you will get heat and may be a lot of it if you are acting too soon and getting things moving towards normal if anyone gets sick . Risk is involved in every day life, the problem is if we were ahead of the game or even just progressing in terms of testing and tracing we may be more optimistic, but under current leadership this is a remote possibility . Hopefully Ohio can find a balance of safety and not devastating the economy further and being aware that a prolonged shut down and keeping the " When in doubt just cancel everything stance is also hurting people , probably more than the virus would be at that point .

Up to this point what has been done has been reasonable and has worked to serve it's purpose, but the next phase needs to be successful to build on what happens by the end of summer. Many are convinced and considered any type of fall season is wishful thinking and foolhardy. They may be right of course, but it wont be because of safety really , but more decisions made by those who often think of themselves and how things and their decisions affect them , so being cautious is a full proof way of taking less heat because you were thinking safety of course.

Harry: make sure you share this with Dublin City Schools district office. ?
48BBED46-01D7-487A-9368-BCDD8B502854.jpeg

C91B9C93-DCDF-4D1F-8319-1F0A529BBFD0.jpeg

It seemed and still does to an extent that time is standing still. When was 'Normal " life last experienced? Well it must be said that it was a couple weeks before all the closings of schools and businesses that you saw hand sanitizers out on counters and business meetings limited to a certain number { 100? then 50? then of course what 10?} business travel had already been cut as many of us know and experienced . The last time I flew was early March and you could see the trepidation of some . Some masks were seen on plane's, sneezes and coughs were alarming to those in close proximity . Calls for more frequent hand washing and the avoidance of touching your face were in your mind .

But that last short trip to warmer climates was the last time I was out in a crowd where people weren't that concerned . Eating my fish on Friday during lent season washed down with a couple pints of Harpoon IPA , talking sports, enjoying 70 degree sun and a warm pool. Seems like a long time ago . Trips subsequently cancelled , plans changed , get togethers shelved , family visits put on hold .

Kids out of school as their parents hope they are keeping up with their work , college visits with hotel rooms already booked ? Gone in a NY Minute . Kids getting the virtual tours offered instead of actually seeing the campus in person { Like my son experiencing Tulane in New Orleans virtually even slightly equated to the real thing lol sad note , I remember him getting one of those emails from them during Mardi Gras which was supposed to accentuate the FUN aspect of going to school there. } Recruiting altered, no closure to the Winter season , but the reality is they got off easy. Most winter season athletes had a full season of participation, a year of athletic growth and development .

Spring athletes? Zip . Cancelled . Out of business . A season they never get back . A lot of work that wasn't seen by people off season goes unseen altogether. Kids blooming and ready to take that next step, to start as Juniors or Sophomores on varsity , grew a couple of inches and put on 20 pounds of muscle and strength unseen and unrealized potential on the field. No need to get into the last part of the Seniors school and sports experience . No titles to defend , no titles to be competed for , no graduation party's no Senior tag , just online virtual tributes, some nice articles in the local paper may be and yard signs signifying that they were going through this together. Remember the Seniors in your thoughts because honoring them in person is not possible. For the majority of athletes who aren't competing for titles or state meet track glory, there is No place to put their energy and their desire to just compete and get a bit better , be around their friends with may be some team building camaraderie experienced and memory's and just having FUN .

Football it is said makes the Athletic departments go . Most attended , provides needed revenue . Community gets behind the teams , most popular sport in this state . Their off-season is forever altered and the not knowing what's next is beyond a tough reality . We sit here almost a full two months from when their worlds' changed and still don't feel much has changed or there is things to point to with optimism . Not going to get too political in this space but the bottom line is we are BEHIND where we should be and could be in terms of getting back to certain activities safely .

A full two months behind I believe as time has been inarguably wasted . No debate really . To me there seems to be a growing feeling that football is not going to be possible in the fall , and if it is ? Sparsely attended games creating little needed revenues and a potential of it ceasing if and most think When a second wave hits . May be that wave isn't going to sweep through until we are on the brink of the winter season as the regular flu season arrives. Of course we all pray for the absence of a second wave but that seems unlikely . I believe this is where a possible spring football season seems to make sense . May be a truncated 7 game regular season say starting team workouts in the third week of February , first game about a month later playing seven weeks then play-offs. State finals early June . Of course the disagreeable would say , we can't do that because the kids would have to short a turnaround going to the next season .

Well the fact is the majority of kids and teams DON'T MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS . Their seasons would be over late April , very early May . Then half the teams and players would be done a week later and so on. So it isn't as if EVERY kid would have that short turnaround but only a much smaller portion of the participants . The finals participants who are underclassmen would have close to two months before having to be at two a days , but the majority would have plenty of time to recover and they will be better off having some kind of season than nothing.

Obviously the other positive aspect besides giving the kids something near a years football growth and development is the increased revenue , assuming the strict social distancing protocols would be relaxed by then increasing attendance . As you come down to the end of that 7-8 game season the weather gets better, teams are vying and pushing for the play-offs with games meaning a bit more you would get pretty good revenue from attendance increases .

Seniors going to college programs at the D-1 level who have committed and those who will get offers will be really hurt football wise, not playing real football for what? depending how far they went in the play-offs or made the play-offs in 2019 , 21- to 22 months? They get to those camps going against kids already there who likely had some kind of season and another year in a college weight-room ? Can many ever overcome this ? Some won't for sure , and those who do it will be a struggle no matter how self motivated.

I was hoping to not opine in this vane , but I have no other thought at this time about this. As a Coffman supporter , the truth is this could be the best team they have had at this school . The kids work really hard and are extremely motivated to push themselves to be the best they can be . Kids at this point in time in school sports history work HARDER than any previous generation. That fact is undisputed.

More skill development work, more dedicated consistent strength training, kids are more explosive , bigger stronger and faster on average.
those of us in our 40's and 50's with kids see how much bigger our kids than we are . Almost universal , some exceptions { Small Mom's? lol} but coaches know this generation works in a way that hasn't been seen in previous generations . Back in the day it wasn't until college that many athletes made the kind of strides many HS kids do now . No coincidence that QB'S coming out of college are much more ready to play early in the NFL than previous generations , and the reason is the number of snaps they get in training at the younger levels before going to college.

A lot of good things and opportunity's have come to Coffman players as a result of their natural talent to an extent of course but more importantly their embracing the process {the grind as it were} . Things are the way they are for reason that are completely out of the kids control Many of the Coffman kids along with tons more around this state have done great work taking care of things they can control . Let hope things that are in people's control that can positively affect these kids lives and futures do some great work and make the right decisions that make some kind of football season in Ohio a reality and the best possible experience and as in academics , , close to or at a full year's growth.

Last edited:
The Spring roller coaster ride of thinking there is a chance for some fall football and then thinking a day later , NO WAY continues unabated. You think may be in the Spring, and then you hear Snodgrass says no way . Off the table? No chance . It's demoralizing in a way . Kids ARE working hard using the resources that are available to them , being creative and trying their best to prepared in the event that there is some kind of season coming up . Usually at this point of the off-season kids know they are entering the last phase of their off-season regimen as there are about 10 weeks and change out from the start of camp. This season for the first time ever? No idea what this will look like and they can't even get together in a weight room and build that camaraderie and team building that occurs every off -season .

Coffman's best team since 2007 or 2014 whichever one you think was Coffman's best { 2007 went further and played the eventual state champion number 4 in the country ST X EVEN in a brutal loss by 3 points for their first loss but had some closer games during the season or 2014 who was may be better in the regular season , but lost earlier to Wayne in a razor close finish and the Warriors went to the final game losing to St Ed's } or even potentially their best team ever not getting a chance to play football this year? Wow . That would be especially bad for this program and the work that have put in and the type of leadership and talent it possesses. This group is one not only with talent in many areas but a work ethic and a non prima donna attitude that has kids playing for each other not just themselves and they feel an accountability . They are good teammates as well as players.

If Snodgrass has taken any thought of playing in Spring off the table , I am not sure I understand . If so this Senior class will be forever known as the Corona class whose players going to college will not have played a football in about 21 months, not practiced as a team in that span and will be forever behind their college teammates going forward an almost wasted class . The other thing may be some states may play and those kids will also be ahead of Ohio Kids . Health is most important , and not playing a season isn't the end of the world , for some kids it is a huge deal . We all expect Dewine to cancel in the fall , not even a question to me , he will always be conservative here , he may let adults go out and roll the dice trying to appease the far right who think we should have never closed anything . But Schools ? No chance. The Snodgrass says absolutely no Spring? Well there you go . May be Baseball and Softball and track get to play after missing a season and football can catch up to them missing a season altogether.as well. The thing about football though there is no AAU to play in the Spring to early summer before going to college.

You will hear a lot of 'Well he was a covid kid , missed a year due to injury then a whole year to covid and hasn't played a game in about 34 months , so he's way behind the others , 'He hasn't had any real contact in 23 months so he is playing catch-up you know" . Suks to be an athlete trying to get to the next level of development and look to college . Funny thing is if you have listened to a national leaders, this thing is pretty much behind us and it['s mission accomplished, 'We have done the best n the history of the world { Literally } and we are opening up and this is done , YET NO ONE REALLY THINKS THIS and they will vote for them anyway and we will have no sports and two days in class for our kids a week , no college classes except online { Who wants to pay or attend an exclusive $$$ school this year?} . Which is it ? Are we back to business and this thing is behind us or no school and sports for another year? It shouldn't and didn't have to be this way . But it is and it will probably continue to be .

Be talking about Coffman's rising Seniors college decisions or plans shortly . Probably the next time they play football because it's too hard to figure something out and when things are too hard ? Most people don't attempt to figure anything out as we have seen with our top politicians and leadership and that trickles down to the lower levels unfortunately . The fight is done mostly according to top leadership , except they haven't done the real work that other country's have done who are-opening and who will surely have sports by fall if not much sooner . We are not one of those country's though . We are behind and won't catch up in time . Oh well I guess we were destined to be the world leader in this virus . Not in a good way which was somewhat predictable considering .

Under normal” conditions I would probably start this post off with “ 10 weeks left to make that last push to improve , get a bit bigger stronger , quicker , faster , improve your footwork , ball skills , technique , before showing up for camp in late July early August . Can’t really do that now . Things up in the air . I really hope if fall is a no go , they keep a possible Spring season on the table . Plan on posting a bit more here in these spaces now going forward and hopefully the warmer weather will bake the virus weaker . This thought from Nick Saban is really sharp

I probably would have changed the thread title to Coffman 2020 by now or been thinking about it , but for obvious reasons I am not really feeling it yet as the situation is so up in the air . As I have opined I think this year's edition has a chance to be as good as any Coffman team in terms of how far they can go in the play-offs, how they match up with other top teams in the state and just in general being capable of playing with any team in the state .

That doesn't necessarily saying there is no one better than they are, it just means they can line up vs anyone and play with them and not be real overmatched . There is that type of talent on hand . Not a perfect team , team needs a handful of players to step up and there are a few areas that aren't as strong as others. A ton of talent back , a excellent work ethic is present , defense could be special with multiple stars { D-1 kids } and some more blue collar experienced guys back . Hopefully they get to play and show their stuff this year because it can be a really special year .

Two guys who weren't on the roster last year that could be this year as they have shown up on the Coffman Hudl page which usually shows who is new and or has bene there but didn't play one year but is back now . Sheron Phipps a rising Senior from Ye Olde Tommy Worthington a real playmaker as a Slot /RB and corner on defense is on the Rocks Hudl page . 5-9 165 and an underrated recruit I believe has gotten some smaller school offers but is a gifted athlete. The other one that I see on Hudl and a kid I mentioned some months back as a guy who could really do something with football in today's game with the extra emphasis on the wide receiver position in todays' offenses at all levels of football is Dayvion McDonald who is a legit 6-4 - 6-5 kid who played and made a lot of plays at the frosh level catching passes from good prospect Mason Maggs who has a pretty big arm .

McDonald took the year off to concentrate on hoops but appears he may be back to the gridiron . Tall rangy athletic kids with ball skills are a commodity and college scouts love this type of potential.

Needs some football weight training work but as a rising Junior has some time { looks like he's about 175-180 ?} . Gyms are opening up soon and this kid could be a real sleeper this year and definitely next year . Difficult for the kids to train as well as they may want to but many are grinding and making strides being creative as is necessary in these times. You get a kid like this to about 195 pounds with his hops and ball skills ? He , Phipps , and Junior Hedderly isn't a bad place to start at the receiver position .

QB 1 Mathews is back and his running ability is his strong suit , but I think his passing will be better this year . Maggs may be too good not to get some snaps IMO. Maggs did take some snaps last year but I see him may be taking some more meaningful ones this year . Not a knock on the incumbent at all , just a testament his ability and potential .

On the recruiting front , the big news I mentioned was OLB Devon Williams flipping from his Kentucky commitment to Minnesota. The Gophers have bene ascending under young energetic coach PJ Fleck . In fact at this early point in the 2021 recruiting rankings they are a solid top ten class . A few 4 stars they usually don't get and some real nice 3 star gets including Williams . Devon is in that 6-1 and half to 6-2 range where he will likely top out at ,and a solid 215 - 220 and is a savvy playmaker who will be a three down college player IMO . Can really rush the passer, play the run well enough { Tackling lower is needed more consistently } and drops back into coverage very well which will keep him on the field . Really smart consistent performer after being injured at times his Sophomore year .

Really interesting show on the Big Ten network showing Fleck when he was hired and starting to build the program . The facilities upgrade , his energy and commitment to his plan . The changing of the culture and the improvement that followed has bene evident culminating in this years best team at Minnesota in a long time. Now the recruiting is really picking up. Former Davidson player DE Gage Keys will be entering his second season with the Gophers. Saw Fleck at practice, his motivational techniques, his energy , his positive reinforcement along with his honesty about players weaknesses really shows through . His work ethic is unmatched along with his intensity .

Fleck was with Urban Meter very early in his coaching career and mentions learning about building programs and culture at that time. A few concepts that Fleck believes in is the classic , 'Players will respond to what you know ONLY AFTER they believe you care . An extreme version of this concept was depicted in the excellent High School hoops documentary 'The Street Stops Here " about legendary hall of fame coach Bob Hurley and St Anthony's in Jersey City NJ . He is a basketball genius and was as old school as anyone , very intense ,but the players took the abuse because they knew he really CARED about their futures.

Fleck embodies this . Not the same harsh style of Hurley of course. Another thing that Fleck believes is the key to ultimate success for the player is the hear and the head being the most important things to a players reaching their potential . If your heart and head aren't right , motivated{ heart } and focused { head} on the right stuff is key. There is an important connection between the two.. When talking about players you talk about certain players lacking something or having something when pointing to their heart and head. And having the desire to PREPARE is another thing that is so important . Everyone or most want to win and will play really hard on Friday night but will everyone have the intense desire to work to be their best and prepare to be at their best ? I see them to continue rising along with Purdue where Bryon Threats is going under coach Jeff Brohm . Minnesota is further along right now , but Purdue is coming I believe .

Can't believe it is June already. Time stood still for a while until it didn't which is now I guess. Hard to say that this is a sign of things feeling more 'Normal " with all that is going on in the country at the moment , but the time moving a bit more swiftly does feel a bit different than it did just about a month ago. Football teams are working out . Does it mean there will be football ? Who knows, the easier path it seems is to just cancel life and everything else to be safe. Stuck in purgatory indefinitely . Like we are in the twilight zone . Nothing changes , things open but you can't hang around people for more than a second in public places. Our country had no real plan to fight this virus like some other countries did and who will be back to 'normal" faster than we will be. MUCH faster in some cases despite having cases pop up at the same exact time .

Just the way it is . Our flaws are there for the world to see in a glaring light . Failure of leadership everywhere you look . Divided like never before with no real end in sight . As far as the state of Ohio goes the majority of the cases have been in prisons and nursing homes which is not unlike a few other states . Children and young adults have been mostly unaffected . Does that mean they get to go back to real life ? , Have to be safe but I hope so because kids aren't thriving in the current climate.. The leadership in Ohio will be as cautious as a frightened kitten. That has been established . So what does that mean for school and school activities? When in doubt ? Cancel? . Then any talk of Spring football will be shelved because it's too much football, too hard to do and too short a turnaround for a very few teams and kids.{ Think MOST will not be playing deep into the play-offs shorten the season if you must} So the kids of the class of 21 will not have played football { games team practice etc,} for how long when they enter college ? Close to 2 years ? I know it's a very tough situation and there are no easy answers , but even wondering aloud like I have above , I still have some faith there will be a more regular school and student activity reality this fall. If that means no big crowds ? Not ideal but you do what it takes . We have roughly two months before camp opens , this is a fluid situation so we can only hope for the best.

Tough to even post here knowing the potential reality . The week one game with the Florida team from Riviera Beach was shelved a while ago , leaving the Rocks with no week one opponent. Massillon was to play Sports factory Bishop Gorman from Vegas , but that is probably dead as well so rumor has it Rocks would step up and play them . That would be great . That would make an already arduous schedule , BRUTAL. But the Rocks have the talent and the experience to handle it this year ,if they get the chance . If this comes to fruition ? Massillon , Northmont , Elder , big rival Jerome and then Groveport Madison , ALL playoff teams and solid programs. League play ? Olentangy Orange , Olentangy Liberty and huge rival Davidson also playoff teams and excellent programs obviously . Hilliard Bradley who missed the play-offs last year after making it and having good teams that could play with anyone in CO the few previous years has a lot of talent back , and another rival Upper Arlington who has a good new coach Buttemore } and always plays Coffman tough and has won games at the lower classes the last few years{ Rocks have the superior Senior group } . NO NIGHTS OFF .

But they have a potentially great defense { they only have a couple spots not in place with tons of talent and speed} , their QB back with a potentially really good back-up, one of the Best Running backs in Ohio back , three Offensive lineman starters back including what I think is a really good one in Left Tackle Daniel Warnsman [Multiple D-1 offers and still under recruited in my opinion } , One receiver back and another one looks like he's coming from Ye Olde Tommy W Sheron Phipps who is an electric playmaker. Team can handle the schedule and even with potential losses on it , the team will be better for having played it . Team has the chance to be special not just for the talent level but the fact that it's best players are also some of the hardest workers with good attitudes.

Congrats on the aforementioned Warnsman just picking up an offer from Central Florida . MAC schools have offered in bulk , and the service academy's { Army and AF } are an option as well . Some of the best 1-AA { Will always call this level that } as well came early and often , a lot of top academic 1-AA as well , William and Mary Holy Cross , Fordham to name a few. He is about 6-4 280 , moves his feet well { Needs to keep improving footwork as most young players do} uses his hands extremely well, finishes blocks consistently with a bit of a nasty steak at times which is always a good thing in this game . He is as good as a few of the Olentangy Liberty kids over the last few years who had some better offers and has more upside IMO .{ Better chance to be more athletic than some} His tape in really good and I think he is just as potentially good as a few of the kids who are getting offers to UC and others in that Realm { Louisville , BC , Syracuse } . Can't go wrong with Army or AF with your future in mind down the road . Compares very favorably to me with Sam McCollum who started for 4 years at Miami [O} . That is IF he finishes he next level of development and shows a bit more polish gets stronger a bit more athletic version of himself which will come with applying himself to continued process of development. Being able to work with teammate DE Hammond Russell { West Virginia } will also help .

Less than 8 weeks until camp? The last leg of work is the usual thought , BUT for some with the conditions as they have it is the most crucial 2 months of the off-season. Many kids have improvised and done what they can and it shows well of their character and work ethic .

Harry, this is week two of conditioning and weight lifting for the Rocks, how things going for them? It looks like a lot of the big OCC schools are up and running with the conditioning and weight lifting now.

Harry, this is week two of conditioning and weight lifting for the Rocks, how things going for them? It looks like a lot of the big OCC schools are up and running with the conditioning and weight lifting now.

Don't know how tings are going, don't follow the off season workouts that closely , but know many kids did what they could with what they had available . A lot of work to do in the next couple months . One day I'm optimistic on the season being played in full and the next week I'm not. Programs and kids have no choice but to try to prepare for it though. You need good leadership and a plan , The programs that do the best with what they have and utilize their time best to get into the best physical and mental shape they can will prosper and those who don't will fall by the wayside as a former coach use to say. Many Gyms are open and the players can hit the weights hard and try to make up for some of the lost time , but it's going to be tough. The teams who have worked on their own developing skills , honing their craft, speed and agility work , body weight work , been the most adaptable and creative to get stronger will do well . I think the Rocks have been one of those programs. A lot of motivation to be really good this year . Lets hope it pays off and they can show their stuff.

Rocks have their week one opponent set and it's Woodland Hills PA outside of Pittsburgh in a 5 game event with the Rocks playing the last game at 7.00 PM on Saturday { Two games Friday , 3 on Saturday } which will be played at the WHHS home field which is a large 12500 seat stadium .

Program has some solid history with close to 100 D-1 players in the last 25 years or so , and in 2010 had the most NFL guys in the league at one time in the country . Shawntae Spencer , Ryan Mundy , Lousaka Polite Steve Breaston and the most notable players DE Jason Taylor and TE Rob 'Grownkowski who played his Senior year at Woodland Hills. Gronk and his family moved from Upstate New York before his Senior year. They have another handful who made it to the league including Miles Sanders and Darrin Walls .

Team usually makes the playoffs but last year they missed as they had a losing record { 3 games were lost by a combined 8 points} . It is a school that combined some smaller schools and a handful of towns years ago . Rocks fortunate to get the game as their options were getting thin.

Quick look at their players shows some speed and talent , some really big kids in some spots up front but Coffman will be the bigger team in this match-up athlete for athlete I believe . Neat to play at a stadium that has had that many NFL players grace it's field. Program has slipped a bit the last decade from a more lofty perch. A few state runner up finishes and a handful of losses in WPIAL title games .

yES
dont forget to provide a Primanti Bros review as part of this trip!

Yes know about these Sandwiches . I actually spend more time in Ft Lauderdale than Pittsburgh and hit that one a time or two. I have fries on the side , not like they put on their Famous ": sandwich

Last edited:
Harry will the Rocks keep the same wide open multiple set offense and the 3-4 defense?
I don’t see any changes this year with the experience they have coming back . LB is a strength so they should play 4 . 3 to 4 wide on offense ( tight end used once in a while ) with one of the best running backs in Ohio and a QB who is a very effective runner . One back set , although I have wanted to see more plays being run from a two back sets. I was hoping they would get away from the zone read heavy run game and they did . They used it without having a Big run threat at QB . Ernst in 2017 was a decent runner but rarely kept the ball .

Mathews is a very good runner and is effective on called QB runs . Defenses will have to account for Threats even
More and that will open things up even more . Big reason they lost to Davidson by a point only scoring 14 points was not using Mathews as a runner fir the only time all year . Not sure why that was . Drennan sitting that game out after playing the week before is something that was puzzling as well . Bad loss all the way around . So the short answer is yes , If you watched the team at all last year , the schemes And sets should be pretty much the same .

Last edited:
Rocks have their week one opponent set and it's Woodland Hills PA outside of Pittsburgh in a 5 game event with the Rocks playing the last game at 7.00 PM on Saturday { Two games Friday , 3 on Saturday } which will be played at the WHHS home field which is a large 12500 seat stadium .

Interesting... Having grown up about 60-70 miles from Pittsburgh I’m very familiar with the WPIAL. For years I’ve been saying I’d like to see some OCC teams play some WPIAL teams. Seems like there were some good match ups to be had and Pittsburgh isn’t much further from Columbus than Cleveland is. But there never really seemed to be interest.

Now this year Coffman, Pick Central, and Davidson are all playing WPIAL teams. I think someone else might be as well. And WPIAL power Pine Richland was trying to schedule Pick Central but North Allegheny beat them time the punch.

Wonder why suddenly this is a thing? Did some rules change in PA?

As we see Ohio becoming a success story at the moment in fighting and trying to contain the virus , is optimism warranted that the season will be played in full albeit with restrictions? While HS football attendance is down nationwide as we know , it wont be the same without bigger crowds for the district rivalry games and other long standing rivalry games and the early season good weather attendance spikes . Fluid situation of course but at least something to be encouraged about as Ohio has smartly navigated it's reopening and is holding steady with no increases and some decreases around the state . Good leadership from the beginning , softer incremental safer re-openings have shown to be effective so far . Fingers crossed.

A very nice piece in yesterday's Columbus Dispatch on Senior RB-DB Bryon Threats and his unique story which is really a great success story . I've been effusive in my praise of Threats as a player and his character and this piece does a great job of encapsulating these things.

Made some poor decisions as a 14 year old , some online smack talk , quasi gang stuff led to his being shot twice { Arm and leg} which he recovered from and was a wake up call. Played his Frosh year at Mifflin but Mom was wanting a change of environment for her son and led Bryon to Coffman before his Soph. Yr. where his late transfer made him only eligible for the first 5 games . Blew up last year as he got comfortable in is new school and within the program and has become very successful in all respects at Coffman and become a true respected leader. Not all good adn great players are good leaders or want to lead . Threats was noticeably leading his team last year as a Junior and as his stock rose he got a nice large handful of offers and is committed to Purdue where he should do very well and is a great choice in all respects .

Some of the posts at the top of the page suggest Coffman 'Culture" isn't strong , an assistant coach is not happy with it . Were things perfect last year ? NO . Were there some issues in some games that helped them not win the close ones? YES. But the idea that the culture and state of the program isn't strong and positive is not accurate. The community in general is more diverse than it was 15-20 years ago . The country has changed and many communities have as well . Dublin is one of them . Coach Crabtree penned a strong response to the current events a few weeks ago as the death of George Floyd sparked a of emotion and protests throughout the country and the world .

I won't paste the post from twitter but it was a succinct heartfelt response that simply conveys that the program feels that understanding , listening and empathy are core values and that he looks to cultivate a true brotherhood and 'Family " concept that he hopes makes ALL players comfortable and happy to be part of the program . While not perfect and not absent of potential problems in terms of racial issues , Sports in general and football being the ultimate TEAM game has a stronger Family , brotherhood aspect to it . If you ask the minority players and their parents if Coffman makes a good effort to be the type of program that fosters this all inclusive brotherhood, the resounding answer would be YES .

That speaks well of coach Crabtree , the program and the community. What we want as parents I believe is to try as hard as we can to put our kids in the best possible environment to succeed . A big part of this having your kids be part of a culture and community that is welcoming , supportive and successful . Said 20 years ago that the main thing I want for the kids is a place where there are other successful families who value education and the community is supportive and inclusive in the goal of helping kids become successful in many aspects of life and to be well prepared for life when they leave . Many community's in CO and beyond fit this ideal . I am partial of course but it is clear that Coffman does a great job in this respect and is second to none.. Are things perfect? NO , But has the community and Coffman HS tried to embrace changes and worked hard to become an inclusive positive environment that has seen many kids thrive and grow ? Absolutely and the tremendous feedback that has been received concerning the football program shows that it is a great place to go to school , play sports and succeed .

Of course some parents are going to be upset about their kids not playing , and there were 4 starters last year that weren’t in Dublin during middle school and elementary . Williams came from Scioto after moving to Dublin shortly thereafter . Diallo came from
Westland during Soph school Yr , Threats we know about came Soph Yr , and Hayden Austin was a QB at Reynoldsburg didn’t play Soph Yr there at all as in not on the team so he hardly had any star status . Eventually started at corner last year .in
So I guess there are a few parents whose kids may have played more if they didn’t come but had it ruined the culture ? Were UA parents up in arms when Murducco and Speights came in a few years ago ? How about PC parents PN Gahanna to name just three programs to shuffle kids around . This isn’t unique to Coffman certainly . Culture of the program and the Future outcomes are solid .

Yes there was a prima Donna on last years team , but his act wore thin with the kids . As for who decides who plays , like anywhere else the best will win jobs . Not going to get into a pi$$$ng contest here , I disagree that the culture isn’t strong and successful. I think you know I’m not a pom
Pom guy in terms of never having some negative opinions or not calling it like I see it even if it it involves some not so great things. You read me and have for years . I call it like I see it and you know that . I have called out things I don't like including some attitudes .You disagree so be it or talk to different people . I get more good feedback than bad by a nice margin . You don’t . So what .

Last edited:
Parents of the “ Out of Towners “ decide who starts ? You lose credibility with that horse chit . Come on now .

Last edited: