DeWine: School Buildings will not reopen this Spring

The OHSAA has made very clear over the last few weeks that if Ohio closes schools for the remainder of the year, spring sports would be cancelled.

It was a joke. There have been some on here adamant the tournament would be played no matter how many times it got pushed back.

OHSAA will follow with their announcement later. We need to hope Fall sports are back. I am optimistic, but not everyone is.

A confirmation memo is all that is needed. Snodgrass is probably out of the office today.
It took the OHSAA three days (March 26) to announce that winter sports tournaments had been cancelled after Governor DeWine's initial statewide stay-at-home order was issued (March 23). Wonder if they'll be quicker this time.

Local school said they are not prepared to make a decision on prom or graduation yet, and hope to hold those when the rules are relaxed.

Legit or just a pipe dream?

Everyone knows it is coming. And they essentially confirmed it with that tweet today. But as the OHSAA has maintained from the beginning, they communicate all their decisions to member schools' administrators prior to communicating to the public. If that delays it a day (or three), so be it.

Guys and gals..no school, no sports, plain and simple. Now we must sit and hope der kommisar doesn't squash summer gatherings. Can I see your papers to pass GO? NO SOUP FOR YOU!! You have not anti-bodies, sit in your house until you get the disease too.....The New World Order is falling in place..get used to it.

It took the OHSAA three days (March 26) to announce that winter sports tournaments had been cancelled after Governor DeWine's initial statewide stay-at-home order was issued (March 23). Wonder if they'll be quicker this time.
According to the memo from last Friday, it's already a done deal. The revised spring plan was contingent upon in-person school resuming. No in-person school, no spring sports. It's over.

When the first order was issued, it had an April 6 expiration (or until rescinded or modified). That left a potential opening for the tournaments to still be played. While it was unlikely that they would ... 1) be logistically able to get all the tournaments in and 2) the state would allow them to even get them in... they felt they owed it to the kids to look at every possible angle to allow them to participate. (you know, their mission?) They did the same thing for spring sports, with more time to prepare. Same thing will occur for fall sports.

Columbus has lots of warts, just like any other organization, but blaming them for waiting 3 days to officially cancer their tournaments is not only uninformed, but it is petty as well.

They didn't "wait" to do anything.

Last edited:
The Ohsaa has already sent out a memo confirming the cancellation of spring sports this year. However, Jerry Snodgrass is now discussing an extension of the no contact period as well as eliminating the 10 day rule for this summer. Extending the no contact period is a gross overreach of power at this point because it affects kids who play summer ball for their HS coach. If summer ball does start at the beginning of June and there's no contact for the entire month of May, then HS coaches who coach summer ball can have practice (at private fields/facilities) in mid May (assuming Ohio opens up) but the kids that play on their HS team wouldn't be allowed to participate. I've commended the OHSAA for handling this up to this point but going any further would have a very poor affect.

To all the Seniors who will never get the privilege to lace up those spikes and walk off the diamond for one last, final time.

To all the Seniors who will never get the privilege to lace up those spikes and walk off the diamond for one last, final time. View attachment 6808
You realize they all did lace up their spikes and walk off a diamond one last time, right? Just because it wasn't when you wanted it to be doesn't mean it didn't happen. And honestly, who are you to say it's their last time anyway?

I talked to a player of mine during this past winter about taking every opportunity to play as if it may be your last, because you never know when it will be, and most times you last time isn't realized until well after it when you finally realize you're not going to play in another game again. I know I didn't walk on the field for my last game thinking it was my last game ever. It wasn't until years later that reality sunk in. Let's be honest here, unless you're retiring from the pros after a hall of fame career, does anyone really know for sure that last game is their last game?

This conversation happened well before the pandemic was even a thought. Looking back on it now it carries a lot more weight. That player is a junior, and I haven't talked to him about that convo since all of this. But I'm willing to bet it means a lot more to him now than it probably did then.

You realize they all did lace up their spikes and walk off a diamond one last time, right? Just because it wasn't when you wanted it to be doesn't mean it didn't happen. And honestly, who are you to say it's their last time anyway?

I talked to a player of mine during this past winter about taking every opportunity to play as if it may be your last, because you never know when it will be, and most times you last time isn't realized until well after it when you finally realize you're not going to play in another game again. I know I didn't walk on the field for my last game thinking it was my last game ever. It wasn't until years later that reality sunk in. Let's be honest here, unless you're retiring from the pros after a hall of fame career, does anyone really know for sure that last game is their last game?

This conversation happened well before the pandemic was even a thought. Looking back on it now it carries a lot more weight. That player is a junior, and I haven't talked to him about that convo since all of this. But I'm willing to bet it means a lot more to him now than it probably did then.
No where near the same to walk off the field for the last as a senior. I am tired of people blowing off the class of 2020 as this is not that big a deal. It is a freaking tragedy and most of them don't even realize it right now. No more playing with their buddies, no more just playing for the fun of it. No more bragging rights. No prom and no graduation. And sure other classes had to deal with it, but that was during WAR for goodness sake. We will be debating whether this sacrifice was worth it for years. So quit belittling it. It is a BIG DEAL.

No where near the same to walk off the field for the last as a senior. I am tired of people blowing off the class of 2020 as this is not that big a deal. It is a freaking tragedy and most of them don't even realize it right now. No more playing with their buddies, no more just playing for the fun of it. No more bragging rights. No prom and no graduation. And sure other classes had to deal with it, but that was during WAR for goodness sake. We will be debating whether this sacrifice was worth it for years. So quit belittling it. It is a BIG DEAL.
Like you said, This graduating class will miss out of a lot of memories; senior spring beak, Prom, Senior recognition games, the memories from general play/practice, OHSAA all star games, traditional graduation, Graduation ceremonies / parties may not take place until late summer/fall if at all...Most student athletes will not go on to play post secondary, female HS athletes never play sport again in a lot of cases. HS sports are a way for students to forget about life/home problems even if just for a little while. IMO, as this plays out I think we will see the shutting down of everything was a choice that may have been incorrect.

Of all the consequences of Covid-19 and the stay at home order, the feelings of 18-year-olds is the least significant. It's a shame, but they will very soon get over it.

Last edited:
Of all the consequences of Covid-19 and the stay at home order, the the feelings of 18-year-olds is the least significant. It's a shame, but they will very soon get over it.

I'll just take a quote from one of my favorite movies, Dazed and Confused.

"All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life, remind me to kill myself." Randal "Pink" Floyd

Referring to his years as a high schooler.

My observation has been that parents are caring more about these things more than the kids are. While I think most seniors are bummed about missing out on spring sports, a lot of seniors I’ve talked to aren’t as miffed about losing their HS graduation ceremonies and proms. Kids these days often attend at least 2-3 prom dances by the time they graduate, and they’re huge time and $$$ sinks. Graduation ceremonies? Probably not so much as graduation parties.

The more pressing concern I’ve noticed from talking to seniors is what the COVID-19 pandemic means for their freshman year in college and, for those playing a sport on the next level, how that may affect both the program they’re playing for and the viability of the academic scholarship they were extended if their school starts running into money issues.

My observation has been that parents are caring more about these things more than the kids are. While I think most seniors are bummed about missing out on spring sports, a lot of seniors I’ve talked to aren’t as miffed about losing their HS graduation ceremonies and proms. Kids these days often attend at least 2-3 prom dances by the time they graduate, and they’re huge time and $$$ sinks. Graduation ceremonies? Probably not so much as graduation parties.

The more pressing concern I’ve noticed from talking to seniors is what the COVID-19 pandemic means for their freshman year in college and, for those playing a sport on the next level, how that may affect both the program they’re playing for and the viability of the academic scholarship they were extended if their school starts running into money issues.

This is a more realistic take on it all.

This is a more realistic take on it all.
They don't know any better. if you have not had the experience. How do you know what it is like to miss it. It is like asking me if I missed going to outer space? How would I know? I never went in the first place. However, most of us have had these experiences and know what it means not to have them. That is why the I think parents are so bummed. It is one of the last vestiges of institutional innocence. Gone and not even noticed by those that are missing it. Oh well, let's move on and wait for a vaccine that may never be effectively developed.

Of all the consequences of Covid-19 and the stay at home order, the feelings of 18-year-olds is the least significant. It's a shame, but they will very soon get over it.
That is absolute nonsense and that is what I am talking about. Within months, those 18 year olds will soon be defending your rights and keeping the wolf away from the door and we have just tossed away some of the best times of their life without a thought. Heck, Dr. Acton just admitted today that shejust doesn't trust any modeling anymore. But that is alright, keep dismissing them.

I mean I feel for the kids but to claim their senior seasons were thrown away without thought is kind of an ignorant comment. Every single kid/adult in the United States have lost out on sports. It sucks but you continue to get on these boards and argue that teenager sports is more important than human life. And with that, I can't take anything you say serious. I know, everyone should just stay at home if they're "At risk" and let the rest of us live our lives. That mentality is what's going to be the reason OHSAA is forced to cancel all sports for the 20-21 school year.

I think this is a "your mileage may vary" (YMMV) deal, anyways. What kids stood to lose with a sports season and a graduation, it's a shame. But really, it ultimately is low on the priority list right now for basically anybody. It was a necessary evil.

The vast majority of kids that I've talked to have been surprisingly graceful about this whole ordeal. Many of them have thoughts and concerns that are well-grounded, nuanced and more in-tune about what could be on the horizon than half of what's been posted on here since mid-March. But, of course, seemingly everyone did some performative gesture to "honor the class of 2020 and what they missed out on." Which, OK, nice and all but doesn't really cut to the heart of what's on the kids' minds (and, it loses some meaning when some choose to characterize it as "thanks for doing this to our kids, Amy and DeWine. They'll never get another season.")

I hope parents are actually able to talk with their kids through these times. Or, they at least make an effort to. No parent wants to see their kid hurt, feeling damaged or having a hard time. For a lot of kids, there's a whole lot more missing to their lives now than a season of baseball.

I think this is a "your mileage may vary" (YMMV) deal, anyways. What kids stood to lose with a sports season and a graduation, it's a shame. But really, it ultimately is low on the priority list right now for basically anybody. It was a necessary evil.

The vast majority of kids that I've talked to have been surprisingly graceful about this whole ordeal. Many of them have thoughts and concerns that are well-grounded, nuanced and more in-tune about what could be on the horizon than half of what's been posted on here since mid-March. But, of course, seemingly everyone did some performative gesture to "honor the class of 2020 and what they missed out on." Which, OK, nice and all but doesn't really cut to the heart of what's on the kids' minds (and, it loses some meaning when some choose to characterize it as "thanks for doing this to our kids, Amy and DeWine. They'll never get another season.")

I hope parents are actually able to talk with their kids through these times. Or, they at least make an effort to. No parent wants to see their kid hurt, feeling damaged or having a hard time. For a lot of kids, there's a whole lot more missing to their lives now than a season of baseball.
No, it was the whole end of their senior year. No Spring Musical when it was your turn to be lead. No prom and for some schools only your senior year is prom. And no graduation which for those that actually accomplished something in school (my kid does not fall into that category). It is over, never to come back, never to be experienced. This discussion is well beyond baseball and has been for a time. And just for the record, I agree with the initial shutdown. I don't think any data indicated a continuance nor a shut down of the school year. Decisions were made on very incomplete information all the name of being uber cautious.

Again, it sucks for everyone. People have lost family members, people have lost jobs, we've all lost a lot of memories, but hopefully added a few positive ones during this time too. How can you expect decisions on "complete information" when it's a new strain of virus that the experts are still learning about daily? If you agreed with the first shutdown what made you think it'd be a short lived thing? Especially as more things shut down? Is it your professional advice we should all resume life as normal on say May 11?

Again, it sucks for everyone. People have lost family members, people have lost jobs, we've all lost a lot of memories, but hopefully added a few positive ones during this time too. How can you expect decisions on "complete information" when it's a new strain of virus that the experts are still learning about daily? If you agreed with the first shutdown what made you think it'd be a short lived thing? Especially as more things shut down? Is it your professional advice we should all resume life as normal on say May 11?
Exactly. The data has not confirmed the models and speculation that caused the shut down. 1M unemployed weekly.

Last edited: