Elder Baseball 2020

The 5 day acclimation period (practice days) I’m pretty positive have to be “School Days”. Just an FYI, carry on.

Elder staff allowed at the PAC to perform Maintenance/Upkeep of the place? I have heard some of the public schools are not allowing Anyone on School Property. If this is true will take some Schools few days or week to have the Fields/Facilities they use up and running.
Several fields that serve HS and younger age groups are following the state guidelines especially the private fields

How would a season that starts the 2nd week of May work? I just don’t see how it’s logistically possible to include every team like they typically do. That means there’s got to be some kind of subjective criteria for selection and seeding. Let’s say they’re able to play 15 games, there’s going to be a high # of teams with very similar records who haven’t played each other. How do you sort that out?

How would a season that starts the 2nd week of May work? I just don’t see how it’s logistically possible to include every team like they typically do. That means there’s got to be some kind of subjective criteria for selection and seeding. Let’s say they’re able to play 15 games, there’s going to be a high # of teams with very similar records who haven’t played each other. How do you sort that out?

At a minimum, I hope these kids get to play something. Even if it was 10-15 games, and then a tournament, I think it would be very uplifting for them. I'm guessing they'd take anything at this point.

At that point, who cares what the seeds are, I'm betting that everyone would just be happy to be there under the circumstances. I bet most would play into June/early July just to get to play.

May 1st it is time to let them play ball. May 1st will be roughly 6 weeks of social distancing from Dewine's original order. For the most part I see everyone doing their duty and obeying the order the best they can. On May 1st I'm sorry if you disagree, but it's time to let these kids play. There are things they can do to limit spread.
1. Limit to 2 parents/guests per player in attendance.
2. No out of state competition.
3. Take temperature before every game for all players, coaches, umpires.
4. Wear protective masks(I don't think that's necessary for baseball but if it helps get them playing again go ahead).
5. Hand shakes, high fives forbidden.
6. The 20-30 people in attendance must keep 6 foot distance from each other.

Look I understand what we're doing right now with the social distancing, but we are talking about high school kids playing baseball/softball. The risk after the 6 weeks is low. What we are doing right now is flattening the curve to not overwhelm the hospitals. After 6 weeks that will be over and be on the downside.

Don't give me the argument well if just 1 kids dies or if 1 kid gets it then the whole team is quarantined, etc. Looks we have other viruses than corona. When this curve is over, you can lump it in with the other viruses. We don't cancel games if 1 kid in the high school came down with the regular flu or strep throat or pneumonia or mono, etc. OHSAA needs to announce the plan now that baseball/softball will resume on May 1st and how many practice days they must get in before games start.

Tennis goes on no question. Not sure what you do about track and field but I think you can get creative there also. Volleyball is indoors so I think the risk is higher, but still you put similar rules I stated above in place. Lacrosse I'm not sure about.
I can't believe what I'm reading here. Also, DeWine has led the charge in all this from the state level. He was the first to make swooping changes prior to a large outbreak. If anyone is going to more cautious about it, it's him. According to healthcare workers - few friends that are nurses - they except the peak of this to happen in mid-May. It's going to get worse still before it gets better. And Ohio isn't going to open up because we've flattened the curve here. Everyone countrywide needs to be doing their part.

I'm with EHS on this one - it's more likely that football is postponed than Spring sports get played.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Also, DeWine has led the charge in all this from the state level. He was the first to make swooping changes prior to a large outbreak. If anyone is going to more cautious about it, it's him. According to healthcare workers - few friends that are nurses - they except the peak of this to happen in mid-May. It's going to get worse still before it gets better. And Ohio isn't going to open up because we've flattened the curve here. Everyone countrywide needs to be doing their part.

I'm with EHS on this one - it's more likely that football is postponed than Spring sports get played.

Unfortunately, I think you're probably going to be right. I think alot of people have wishful thinking. Even when we get down to a few new cases a day, they are going to be very cautious for the next 1-2 months after that.

Hoping for a 9/1 all clear - but may be closer to 10/1. I do think football will be played at some point this year.

According to healthcare workers - few friends that are nurses - they except the peak of this to happen in mid-May. It's going to get worse still before it gets better. And Ohio isn't going to open up because we've flattened the curve here. Everyone countrywide needs to be doing their part.

According to the Ohio St. model that the Ohio Department of Health is going off of, the peak of new cases reported will be April 25th with 9,698 new cases and will go down from there. That means on April 25th they are expecting 9,698 new cases reported. The school ban is until 11:59pm Friday May 1st.

Will they let schools reopen on May 4th? On May 4th, the model projects 6,082 new cases. I would guess no, kids will not be back in school May 4th. The model goes all the way out to May 31st with 187 new cases. The model out to May 31st is the strict social distancing rules. You are right, they will likely be very cautious to not get an initial 2nd wave and start a new upward curve. We are likely in this through May.

That all being said, you and everyone reading this knows baseball could be played safely with limited risk for spread. They just won't allow it though. The main cause of spread is from someone who is very sick.
The CDC reports that people are most contagious when they are most symptomatic(the sickest) however some spread might be possible before people show symptoms although that is not the main way the virus spreads.
Like I said, take temperatures and enforce some strict rules and playing baseball would be fine. The state is just not going to allow common sense to prevail though.

The good news is the model suggests the social distancing guidelines should be lifted no later than early June. Sadly that doesn't help the spring sport athletes.

Last edited:
That all being said, you and everyone reading this knows baseball could be played safely with limited risk for spread. They just won't allow it though. The main cause of spread is from someone who is very sick.

Like I said, take temperatures and enforce some strict rules and playing baseball would be fine. The state is just not going to allow common sense to prevail though.

The good news is the model suggests the social distancing guidelines should be lifted no later than early June. Sadly that doesn't help the spring sport athletes.
And people that are very sick end up in the hospital, where there are nurses, doctors and other employees who are currently dealing with an influx of these patients without the proper personal protective equipment to shield them from the virus. Then we're dealing with healthcare systems running low on equipment AND people. Read up on the choir practice in Seattle that resulted in 45 confirmed cases and 2 deaths so far. If we have every team in the state playing baseball and softball, we're bound to see small outbreaks in those areas and those balloon into bigger outbreaks and that balloons into more overwhelmed hospitals.

My wife is a nurse and has nurse friends in other hospitals throughout the state who have already seen other nurses and doctors being intubated and even die from this. My wife's hospital is already putting pleas out there for donations of PPE. Another nurse friend of hers, who's directly taking care of covid patients, is isolating himself from his wife and newborn for the time being to keep them safe. They're moving in with her parents until it's safe. These people didn't sign up to be martyrs.

At this point, who cares about kids not getting to play their sports? I'm sorry kids, but this is bigger than your senior season. We should be grateful that our governor and state are being over-cautious in their approach to this because, with our state's population, we could easily sink into a New York-type of scenario.

I’m a fan of all sports. I think they could of completed the winter state tournaments with no fans by the end of day Monday that Dewine ordered school to stop in class learning. Timing is/was everything , with that said , baseball or any other spring sport simply won’t happen. Entirely way too much liability at stake, schools will also finish the year out learning from home. It’s just a sad end to the year for the seniors at any school that it ends this way. Graduation will take place at a much later date with limited family members. Football will be affected to some degree , just not sure how much.

No High School Baseball will be played this yr. The OHSAA is just following Orders with what DeWine is ordering/saying. OHSAA will Cancel Baseball the same day DeWine says “the Schools will finish the yr at Home.”

I feel bad for this years Seniors (All of them Nationwide) and concerned and extremely Thankful for All our First Responders/Medical Personnel! Shout out also to the National Guard folks, who have been called upon to leave their family during this difficult time to help out the Communities they are currently serving!

According to the Ohio St. model that the Ohio Department of Health is going off of, the peak of new cases reported will be April 25th with 9,698 new cases and will go down from there. That means on April 25th they are expecting 9,698 new cases reported. The school ban is until 11:59pm Friday May 1st.

Will they let schools reopen on May 4th? On May 4th, the model projects 6,082 new cases. I would guess no, kids will not be back in school May 4th. The model goes all the way out to May 31st with 187 new cases. The model out to May 31st is the strict social distancing rules. You are right, they will likely be very cautious to not get an initial 2nd wave and start a new upward curve. We are likely in this through May.

Things aren’t going back to normal after this surge passes. There is still significant risk of a second wave if everyone just returns to normal. Things will be phased in and HS baseball will be a low priority. I’m sorry. I know it sucks.

Things aren’t going back to normal after this surge passes. There is still significant risk of a second wave if everyone just returns to normal. Things will be phased in and HS baseball will be a low priority. I’m sorry. I know it sucks.

Dr. Fauci said yesterday when asked about the end of social distancing. He basically said when new cases start coming down to 0 that things can slowly get back to normal. For Ohio, that is going out at least until May 31st and then a week or possibly two in June. Sad to say while nothing is official, schools will not be back in session for this school year and spring sports have little chance.

And people that are very sick end up in the hospital, where there are nurses, doctors and other employees who are currently dealing with an influx of these patients without the proper personal protective equipment to shield them from the virus. Then we're dealing with healthcare systems running low on equipment AND people. Read up on the choir practice in Seattle that resulted in 45 confirmed cases and 2 deaths so far. If we have every team in the state playing baseball and softball, we're bound to see small outbreaks in those areas and those balloon into bigger outbreaks and that balloons into more overwhelmed hospitals.

My wife is a nurse and has nurse friends in other hospitals throughout the state who have already seen other nurses and doctors being intubated and even die from this. My wife's hospital is already putting pleas out there for donations of PPE. Another nurse friend of hers, who's directly taking care of covid patients, is isolating himself from his wife and newborn for the time being to keep them safe. They're moving in with her parents until it's safe. These people didn't sign up to be martyrs.

At this point, who cares about kids not getting to play their sports? I'm sorry kids, but this is bigger than your senior season. We should be grateful that our governor and state are being over-cautious in their approach to this because, with our state's population, we could easily sink into a New York-type of scenario.

I know. I watch the news. I follow what is going on in New York. I'm just trying to throw out ideas of how sports can safely be done with precautions. It's better than being negative all the time.

Dr. Fauci said yesterday when asked about the end of social distancing. He basically said when new cases start coming down to 0 that things can slowly get back to normal. For Ohio, that is going out at least until May 31st and then a week or possibly two in June. Sad to say while nothing is official, schools will not be back in session for this school year and spring sports have little chance.
Yeah, it will be a slow phased in approach. I don’t see any way hs baseball gets underway. Honestly, I think football could be in jeopardy as well. No vaccine and the potential for a rebound surge in the fall, I’d expect extreme caution. I hope I’m wrong. It sucks because nothing rallies this country more than sports, particularly football.

I know. I watch the news. I follow what is going on in New York. I'm just trying to throw out ideas of how sports can safely be done with precautions. It's better than being negative all the time.

I don’t think people on this forum are being “negative,” just honest as the way they see this thing unfolding.

I don’t think people on this forum are being “negative,” just honest as the way they see this thing unfolding.
Exactly. It may come across as negative because, well, the entire situation is one, giant negative. But we have to be honest and realistic about these things.

You cannot compare Ohio to NY, just like you cannot compare the US to Italy. Densely populated cities/countries are naturally going to get hit way harder by all of this.

Yeah, it will be a slow phased in approach. I don’t see any way hs baseball gets underway. Honestly, I think football could be in jeopardy as well. No vaccine and the potential for a rebound surge in the fall, I’d expect extreme caution. I hope I’m wrong. It sucks because nothing rallies this country more than sports, particularly football.
Right now the NFL expects to start in September. If they’re able to play, there should be no doubt HS and College will be able to play

Right now the NFL expects to start in September. If they’re able to play, there should be no doubt HS and College will be able to play
Just giving my opinion. If they anticipate a second surge in the fall and there is no reason not to, I can’t see how football will happen.

Just giving my opinion. If they anticipate a second surge in the fall and there is no reason not to, I can’t see how football will happen.
Then you test the players & coaches and play without fans. You can’t wait another 18 months for a vaccine before getting back to normal, the damage will be permanent and we’ll never recover.

College’s are already closing their campus for summer. How can college football take place when they can’t return to campus to practice?

College’s are already closing their campus for summer. How can college football take place when they can’t return to campus to practice?

Bingo! Schools at every level are following Governors Orders. It sucks but again in general, High School, College along with Sports and Social Distancing have never gone together!

The OHSAA has a plan if school resumes in Ohio on May 4.

The OHSAA has a plan if school resumes in Ohio on May 4.

IF Baseball season does start back with Regular Season Games on May 9th, any idea of what type of Schedule it would be for Elder? OHSAA plan says Tournament play starts on May 23rd. I’m assuming League play would come first then fill in the blanks? Would they take any days off? Would they be allowed to play on Sunday?

Hate to say it but the season is probably over. My nephew plays ball at Baldwin Wallace and this is just heartbreaking for the seniors who waited for playing time.

The state is “opening” up on May 1st. I still don’t see anyway Schools open back for only 2-3 weeks before closing out the year. I can’t see Spring Sports actually getting played.

The state is “opening” up on May 1st. I still don’t see anyway Schools open back for only 2-3 weeks before closing out the year. I can’t see Spring Sports actually getting played.
Governor DeWine said Ohio will make an announcement about schools next week, but the recommendation from President Trump's national committee is that schools will not re-open during Phase 1. I don't think DeWine or Ohio will do anything more "risky" than or ahead of schedule vis a vis the national guidelines.

Sucks for the kids.

Governor DeWine said Ohio will make an announcement about schools next week, but the recommendation from President Trump's national committee is that schools will not re-open during Phase 1. I don't think DeWine or Ohio will do anything more "risky" than or ahead of schedule vis a vis the national guidelines.

Sucks for the kids.
It does, but hopefully fall sports can begin unimpeded.

Sucks for the kids.

Dr. Fauci was on the Laura Ingraham show last night, and he said that schools can open in Phase 1 if the states want to(provided they meet the criteria to be in Phase 1). Like everything through all of this, there is a lot of confusion. That said, given the response of Dewine/Acton since March, I doubt they will give schools the green light.

Let's hope Dewine realizes they overreacted and they let the schools open May 4th with of course very strict guidelines. That is the ONLY hope for spring sports since OHSAA already publicly stated spring sports will not happen if the schools do not open.

From how I read into it schools could open up in "phase 2" which would be like the third week of May. School is letting out by then. Looks like there will be no spring sports if I had to guess. Sucks!

Dr. Fauci was on the Laura Ingraham show last night, and he said that schools can open in Phase 1 if the states want to(provided they meet the criteria to be in Phase 1). Like everything through all of this, there is a lot of confusion. That said, given the response of Dewine/Acton since March, I doubt they will give schools the green light.

Let's hope Dewine realizes they overreacted and they let the schools open May 4th with of course very strict guidelines. That is the ONLY hope for spring sports since OHSAA already publicly stated spring sports will not happen if the schools do not open.

Dr. Birx said yesterday that she believes Schools that have been closed from the Virus should reamain closed for the rest of this school yr. Let’s be honest, most Schools are not prepared to Open up with all the new guidelines/Rules. Probably take them a week or 2 to get ready to re open with the “new rules” and 2 weeks later school is over. To open back up, take everyone’s temperature, Wear masks, Social Distancing as much as possible. How to handle “older” teachers,Staff. How to handle kids with asthma. Lot of things/situations to be worked out before Schools open in my mind.