Cross County Conference 2020-2021

You are right, you never know about next year. Just by the looks though it will be complete rebuild next year at TVS. There will be a few Seniors that will be decent, but the Sophomore/Junior classes are weak. You bring up a solid group of Freshman. I expect a couple of the Freshman to get Varsity minutes. There was a 6'5 Sophomore that didn't play this year because of injury, if he comes back and stays healthy, he will be a big help too. We will have a new coach and a new system, so you definitely don't know how it will go. If you get the team to buy in and improve as the year goes on you can still win some games in the CCC.

As for who the next coach will be... I'm really unsure. The Delong guy is out of the question, thankfully he went to Tri Village. I would guess the Varsity Assistant should be one of the front runners, if he wants the job. It's also hard telling who will put in for the job. I'm much more interested to see who gets the basketball job, in comparison to the football job. It's a crazy time at TVS... we will have a new Athletic Director as well. Times are changing, and I hope it's for the best.

Lots of change of South - New AD and new coaches for both major sports - basketball and football. Going to be hard to get all three positions right in one fell swoop. In my opinion the assistant AD has the inside track on the AD job. But he was also the assistant coach on the basketball team. So I don't know that both positions would be filled by the same guy as was the case with Augspurger. And with football, it is going to be hard to find a good candidate this late in the process.

Thanks BucksFan. I heard a rumor that Sagester was hired back at TV. Any truth?
I haven't heard that but I wouldn't be surprised. It was only a matter of time until he got back in there. I figured he would get back in either this year or next year, but with the way this past season went, now must be the perfect time...

Thanks BucksFan. I heard a rumor that Sagester was hired back at TV. Any truth?
I haven't heard that but I wouldn't be surprised. It was only a matter of time until he got back in there. I figured he would get back in either this year or next year, but with the way this past season went, now must be the perfect time...
I was going to say something snarky. But, this day and age I hope it resets everyone to just the value of letting the kids have an opportunity to play, compete as it is such a special opportunity. I as an Old guy treating High school sports a bit to much like a pro sport has to stop. Looking back on some things I have posted on here about 14-18 year old's make me feel poorly. Excited to see TV complete against the team I root for TC. Segs and Z had some great games, which they were in a conference together.

As much I want TC to beat TV and all that went down, SWO basketball is increased by having Sags on a bench. We can only hope that whole situation has matured him and TV basketball will get back to a D4 power.

The whole Sags at TV thing. If I recall correctly, TV was a half court execution juggernaut under Sags. But, the kids I see now could strive in a more open court style. Curious to see which way coach takes that team.

In my opinion, you aren't going to find a better coach than Sags. I am pretty sure we all know this, but the issues he had were not related to how the boys were playing on the court. I think with Sags as the coach at Tri Village, that's like a +5 or +6 in the win column.

In regards to his coaching style, I'm pretty sure he can adapt and go to whatever the strengths are of his team. I could see him going to more of a fast paced open court style with the kids that are there now.

The real question is how will the community respond to him being the coach again? I really feel that winning could help heal all wounds. I know Tri Village has always had a basketball tradition, and lately the boys teams have not been living up that. Given, there has been some years with a lack of talent. But if Sags gets in there and they start winning, contending for league, district/regional championships, everyone will be happy.

Do we know if it's official that Sagaster is back in at Tri Village? I was just curious if it was still speculation or not.. I noticed a spike in activity on the Tri Village basketball Twitter page yesterday, with all their kids doing workouts at home. That made me wonder even more as one of the comments states "Proud of you guys for listening to Coach Sagaster".

Do we know if it's official that Sagaster is back in at Tri Village? I was just curious if it was still speculation or not.. I noticed a spike in activity on the Tri Village basketball Twitter page yesterday, with all their kids doing workouts at home. That made me wonder even more as one of the comments states "Proud of you guys for listening to Coach Sagaster".
How does that work in normal times? Some type of press release from the AD Department? I only know what I read on here.

Sometimes schools put out an announcement, but you are right there may never be a press release. I just wondered if it was for sure.

As for TVS. I really haven't heard much at all about the basketball coach. It's kind of crazy, but maybe it's because of this lock down stuff that's going on. I know the position was posted on the OHSAA site, so it was open for anyone that wanted to reply. I don't know what kind of applicants we will get, but I would guess our Varsity Assistant has a decent chance to get the job.

>> He could go from Varsity starter one year to JV player the next. I really don't like all this moving your kid around, trying to chase better opportunities. In all honesty if the Delong kid just stays at TVS. He would have likely been a starter last season, and would be a key member of the program moving forward, and not just another guy like he is at Tri Village.

From watching sports over the years, I see parents wanting to do the best they can for their kids, I get that. And they move them to the place that the parent feels gives the best exposure to get to the next level. My feelings on this are two pronged - 1. If Penn State can find Curtis Enis in Mississenewa Valley then your kid will be picked up if they are good enough. No need to shop around and jump programs. 2. Parents want their kids to get that D1 scholarship. But almost all of the kids from the small schools in this league will do best to set their sights on NAIA or Div III NCAA for the next level. I see kids try to jump from a small school to a big program and be overwhelmed - they last a year and move on. Also, if you are D1 caliber in this league then you better be able to put the team on your back and carry it night after night. I don't see that many athletes that can do that.

Finally when you attend a high school graduation, look at all the academic scholarships that are handed out versus the one or two that get a scholarship or grant in aid for sports. So focus on academics if you are looking for a way to pay for school.
Curtis Enis was recruited out of Kiski prep school located outside of Pittsburg. He still holds some school records for them.

Curtis Enis was recruited out of Kiski prep school located outside of Pittsburg. He still holds some school records for them.
I've seen this before, but I didn't realize he didn't graduate from Miss Valley. Did he not go the full 4 years of high school at Miss Valley?

I think things are different now than they were in the early 1990's. With all the stuff online for recruiting. If you are good enough, the scouts will find you... and it doesn't matter what school you are at.

I've seen this before, but I didn't realize he didn't graduate from Miss Valley. Did he not go the full 4 years of high school at Miss Valley?

I think things are different now than they were in the early 1990's. With all the stuff online for recruiting. If you are good enough, the scouts will find you... and it doesn't matter what school you are at.
Back in the 80's I was told by a college coach that "if there is meat on the hooks in the middle of nowhere, we will find him". But it's definitely easier to find that meat now for sure.

Is kiski one of those prep schools you go to in between high school and college to get your grades up?

Back in the 80's I was told by a college coach that "if there is meat on the hooks in the middle of nowhere, we will find him". But it's definitely easier to find that meat now for sure.

Is kiski one of those prep schools you go to in between high school and college to get your grades up?
Per Wikipedia.... it states that Kiski Prep is a 9-12 school that also includes post graduate students. It lists Enis as one of the notable alumni. If you look at Enis' page, it says he attended Miss Valley High School. Then after that it says he then spent one year at Kiski Prep. I am guessing it had to do with grades.

Per Wikipedia.... it states that Kiski Prep is a 9-12 school that also includes post graduate students. It lists Enis as one of the notable alumni. If you look at Enis' page, it says he attended Miss Valley High School. Then after that it says he then spent one year at Kiski Prep. I am guessing it had to do with grades.
I thought that is what I remembered but it has been awhile.

As I recall it he was not prepared for college level classes or ACT was below where it needed to be. Essentially he repeated his senior year and got his ACT up to qualify for the minimum into D1 athletics.

My family visited Kiski a couple years back as they made an offer to one of our kids. They house the students there just like college but the facilities are not as nice as virtually any other school I have ever visited. High schools are way nicer.

There was a big display of Curtis Enis and his accomplishments on the wall in the hallway leading to the gym.

It was at Kiski that Penn State really caught interest in him. He was very dominate while there.

Last edited:
>>> As I recall it he was not prepared for college level classes or ACT was below where it needed to be. Essentially he repeated his senior year and got his ACT up to qualify for the minimum into D1 athletics.

This is accurate.

When he repeated the one year of school, did he get to play football while there? Seems weird to be allowed a 5th year of athletic eligibility because your grades were not good enough to play college level ball...

When he repeated the one year of school, did he get to play football while there? Seems weird to be allowed a 5th year of athletic eligibility because your grades were not good enough to play college level ball...
Is that school a member of the state high school association? Aren't there several academies around the country that do this and don't belong to any state association? I am thinking of some of the academies that come to flying to the hoop each year.

very few "academies" are part of state athletic associations. They do not follow the same rules as the rest of the schools.. just like most of the prep schools or boarding schools i.e Oak Hill, Sunrise Christian, IMG, Montverde, etc

Last edited:
Yes, he played. Not sure how Pennsylvania athletics work? I read who they played his year at Kiski but dont recall other than a few other prep schools. I think there were Pitt area (high) schools as well.

Yes, he played. Not sure how Pennsylvania athletics work? I read who they played his year at Kiski but dont recall other than a few other prep schools. I think there were Pitt area (high) schools as well.
I guess that does make sense. I think some Prep schools could be different. I think Spire/IMG Academies are the same way. I never realized he had a year between high school and college.

I still haven't heard who will be the next basketball coach at TVS. I know there's no rush but I had heard interviews were going on a while ago and I thought we might have heard by now....

At this point it's starting to look like a lot of the summer basketball activities may be affected. Team camps and summer leagues may not be happening. I hate to see it happening, but it will likely happen all over. I don't think it will have a major affect on the season for most schools in our conference... it's not like anyone is eyeing a state tournament run realistically..

Ryan Innis was named the Varsity Boys Basketball coach at TVS tonight at the board meeting. He is a younger guy (around 30 I believe) that’s been coaching at TVS the past 2 seasons. Prior to that he was a Varsity Assistant at Brookville. He was also recently named AD at TVS. I think it was a great move for the program.

Last edited:
Ryan Innis was named the Varsity Boys Basketball coach at TVS tonight at the board meeting. He is a younger guy (around 30 I believe) that’s been coaching at TVS the past 2 seasons. Prior to that he was a Varsity Assistant at Brookville. He was also recently named AD at TVS. I think it was a great move for the program.
Sounds good. Bet he can't wait to get started. Things should be rolling by fall of 2021.

Speaking of such things, I stopped by Bethel yesterday and watched a 5 on 5 pickup game for a few minutes. There were kids playing baseball on the softball field as well. I think the stay at home and social distancing went out with the nice weather.

2021? You think all of next year is a wash? With social distancing measures and people wearing masks in public should get things up and running

QUOTE="D4fan, post: 7611915, member: 290668"]
Sounds good. Bet he can't wait to get started. Things should be rolling by fall of 2021.

Speaking of such things, I stopped by Bethel yesterday and watched a 5 on 5 pickup game for a few minutes. There were kids playing baseball on the softball field as well. I think the stay at home and social distancing went out with the nice weather.
[/QUOTE]

2021? You think all of next year is a wash? With social distancing measures and people wearing masks in public should get things up and running

I don't think it is necessarily a wash, I would say 50/50. Think I am more frustrated than anything rational right now. I do think June will be lost for summer leagues, and the AAU season is likely entirely out, so next year will be a bit different if we do play. It will take more games into the season to get in the flow having not had June to play together.