Ohio Cardinal Conference

Orrville, who used to pride itself in scheduling up and playing bigger schools, couldn’t afford to do that anymore with their huge lack of talent. I imagine they will go back to middle of the pack in the PAC once Parks is gone. Also, it made no sense for the OCC to keep a D5 school in a Division II and Division III dominated conference.

The OCC never asked Orrville to leave. Orrville wanted out for a couple years and when the PAC showed interest they jumped. Orrville struggled to compete in all sports and they wanted out. Badly.
Since neither one of us were there I doubt either know the truth, but I do know PAC didn't "show interest". Orrville tried for years to get in and only when the Tusc teams said they were leaving & PAC had to get someone did they get the invite.

Also, you're right, OCC didn't "ask" them to leave. They told them to find a new home before getting voted out. On the outside looking in, never made sense for them to be there with the huge size disparity. Imagine Clear Fork left for the same reason.

Also, the "struggled to compete in all sports" statement is what folks call 'revisionist history'. Don't think they ever won football or boy basketball, but on the girls side, there were years they flat out dominated. Believe that twice they swept Volleyball, Girls Basketball & Track league titles.

Orville had officially notified the OCC over a year in advance that they were wanting out and looking at options. They tried more than once to join the PAC. My comment of showing interest was to the action taken to allow Orville and Northwest in. Not that they went out looking for them.
The OCC was never looking to vote out Orville. You have bad info. Clear Fork left because the football coach rallied enough support to make it happen. Other coaches wanted to stay.

I don’t ever remember seeing Orrville winning girls track, basketball and volleyball in the same season.

Yes, and there was a time when Wooster's girls dominated the Federal League in Volleyball & Basketball every year. Fact of the matter is the boys sports are the true money sports, which is why the Generals left for the OCC.

Will Dover join soon or will they be left out for awhile. Other than the travel for most schools, NP was a great addition to the OCC.
The talk of Dover and New Philly had been going on for a while. Rumors have been that the schools, teams and competition was a perfect choice for the OCC and all members agreed on that. What was disagreed upon was that the amount of travel was not worth the addition for some members. Knowing the weekday sports would be an issue for kids.

I don’t ever remember seeing Orrville winning girls track, basketball and volleyball in the same season.
You are correct. They doubled up several times but never won 3 in one year.

Last edited:
Yes, and there was a time when Wooster's girls dominated the Federal League in Volleyball & Basketball every year. Fact of the matter is the boys sports are the true money sports, which is why the Generals left for the OCC.
You make a good point. Toward the end of their time in OCC Orrville was getting boat raced in football. Just too small to complete. Very similar to Wooster in the Federal League. Remember they tied for the football league title in the 1st or 2nd year in the league & then it went south and stayed there for awhile.

It would be interesting to know if Wooster was better off financially in the OCC where they are competitive but have schools that don't travel as well or in the Federal League where they got beat up in football but were more successful in other sports & played schools with better followings?

Last edited:
You make a good point. Toward the end of their time in OCC Orrville was getting boat raced in football. Just too small to complete. Very similar to Wooster in the Federal League. Remember they tied for the football league title in the 1st or 2nd year in the league & then it went south and stayed there for awhile.

It would be interesting to know if Wooster was better off financially in the OCC where they are competitive but have schools that don't travel as well or in the Federal League where they got beat up in football but were more successful in other sports & played schools with better followings?
Wooster is definitely not a school with fans that travels. I have attended many games over the years and even during winning seasons their fans support is low.

The idea of dominating a league has taken over for many schools. When the OCC was at its best the league champs were changing each year in the considered money sports or the sports with higher attendance. Having had a whistle around my neck for many years I can say the OCC leadership has weakened the strength of the league over the years for which looks to be personal reasons.

The OCC never asked Orrville to leave. Orrville wanted out for a couple years and when the PAC showed interest they jumped. Orrville struggled to compete in all sports and they wanted out. Badly.
Where on earth do some of you get your news? Struggled in ALL sports?

Where on earth do some of you get your news? Struggled in ALL sports?
That was not meant to read that they struggled in EVERY sport. I was saying they struggled to compete in all of the sports. Meaning some were good and some were bad but the OCC was very interested in having them stay.

I’d watch for some OCC schools to make a play for the SBC....they’ve met previously.
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times; I would love any assortment of Ashland, Lexington, Madison, and Senior to SBC Lake. We're all playing each other non-conference anyways, so no harm done, in my humble opinion.

Orrville, who used to pride itself in scheduling up and playing bigger schools, couldn’t afford to do that anymore with their huge lack of talent. I imagine they will go back to middle of the pack in the PAC once Parks is gone. Also, it made no sense for the OCC to keep a D5 school in a Division II and Division III dominated conference.
It made no sense to 'keep us'? We competed very well in that league for many years in a conference with schools 3-4x's larger than us. It made no sense for 'us' to stay when the talent took a dip.

And your next statement...hahaha!

"Yes, and there was a time when Wooster's girls dominated the Federal League in Volleyball & Basketball every year. Fact of the matter is the boys sports are the true money sports, which is why the Generals left for the OCC."

No..you left because you couldn't compete in football!

It made no sense to 'keep us'? We competed very well in that league for many years in a conference with schools 3-4x's larger than us. It made no sense for 'us' to stay when the talent took a dip.
No one was ever 4x times your size when you decided to leave and I doubt there was ever more than 1 school that was ever 3x if there was any at all. Wooster was the largest school and you still play them.

And your next statement...hahaha!

"Yes, and there was a time when Wooster's girls dominated the Federal League in Volleyball & Basketball every year. Fact of the matter is the boys sports are the true money sports, which is why the Generals left for the OCC."

No..you left because you couldn't compete in football!

Ummm, yeah. That's what I said. "Fact of the matter is the boys sports are the true money sports", meaning football and basketball. Duh.

But you guys weren't competing in football or boys basketball anymore. It was time to get out and find a league where you had better opportunities to compete year in and year out. If you didn't have Parks move in, your football team would be average at very best also. If he's gone this year or next, lets see how the football team does without him again.

But you guys weren't competing in football or boys basketball anymore. It was time to get out and find a league where you had better opportunities to compete year in and year out. If you didn't have Parks move in, your football team would be average at very best also. If he's gone this year or next, lets see how the football team does without him again.
Yep, Orrville and all those dang "move in" kids. They'd be nothing if it wasn't for the kids that "move in." That kinda stuff never happens at Wooster.

Well, at least not since the fall of 2019 when Wooster had 2 brothers show up out of the blue who proceeded to start (& star) for the Generals? Wooster had pretty good 2019 football team & REALLY good 2019/20 basketball team with 2 kids playing key roles who no one had ever heard of or seen before. Didn't they both make the all-OCC teams, too? But yeah, Orrville and all their move ins.

I'll be honest, not an Orrville guy, but I really find it hard to have any respect for a schools whose "rival" is a school 3 divisions smaller. Maybe the Massillon Tigers should start scheduling Massillon Tuslaw.

Yep, Orrville and all those dang "move in" kids. They'd be nothing if it wasn't for the kids that "move in." That kinda stuff never happens at Wooster.

I'll be honest, not an Orrville guy, but I really find it hard to have any respect for a schools whose "rival" is a school 3 divisions smaller. Maybe the Massillon Tigers should start scheduling Massillon Tuslaw.

Did the move-in's directly lead to a State Championship for Wooster? Did they win a playoff game in football? Did they even win a Sectional title in basketball with them? Hmmm, no you say? Sounds like those two really caused the same thing as Parks moving in for football. Nice try chump.

Was Orrville 3 Divisions smaller when the series started back in 1903? The Riders are getting smaller, hence the reason to first move the game out of week 10, and potentially end the rivalry. Let me do you a favor by saying do some research before you cause us all to get dumber by your next post.

Did the move-in's directly lead to a State Championship for Wooster? Did they win a playoff game in football? Did they even win a Sectional title in basketball with them? Hmmm, no you say? Sounds like those two really caused the same thing as Parks moving in for football. Nice try chump.

Was Orrville 3 Divisions smaller when the series started back in 1903? The Riders are getting smaller, hence the reason to first move the game out of week 10, and potentially end the rivalry. Let me do you a favor by saying do some research before you cause us all to get dumber by your next post.
WARNING - dumb pill inbound:

Since this is the OCC thread and Wooster won the 2019 OCC title in football & basketball . . . I guess you could say those "move-in's" had an impact.

Was not intended to trigger you, but you did bring up the move-in thing and the Wooster trophy case did get two new pieces hardware that were directly impacted by kids who moved into your district.

So are we only keeping stats on move-ins if they produce tournament trophies? Wooster had 3 move-in starters on their 19-2 basketball team this season .

The OCC was going to be won by Wooster regardless. And trust me when I say that the Wooster kids now view Ashland as more of a rival in football than Orrville. Rivalry hasn't been the same in a long time and the fact Orrville continues to slide down Divisions, doesn't help it.

So are we only keeping stats on move-ins if they produce tournament trophies? Wooster had 3 move-in starters on their 19-2 basketball team this season .

My comment was not aimed at Wooster doesn't get move-in's, it was just commenting that Orrville got the biggest "blue chip" move-in of all that happened to result in a State Championship for them.

WARNING - dumb pill inbound:

Since this is the OCC thread and Wooster won the 2019 OCC title in football & basketball . . . I guess you could say those "move-in's" had an impact.

Was not intended to trigger you, but you did bring up the move-in thing and the Wooster trophy case did get two new pieces hardware that were directly impacted by kids who moved into your district.
Didn't Wooster basketball also get a senior move-in from Northwestern a few years back scored about 20 a game for them. Probably won another OCC title that season. Maybe the better question is do these schools do anything when they only have home grown athletes on their roster.

My comment was not aimed at Wooster doesn't get move-in's, it was just commenting that Orrville got the biggest "blue chip" move-in of all that happened to result in a State Championship for them.
Had he been at Wooster they may have won a single playoff game. Some times a "blue chip" is only that because of place and timing.