Benedictine 2020

Lake Catholic played a home game on campus last season against CCC and will do so again against St. Francis (NY) this season. Was actually a really cool environment. Went much better than anticipated. Would probably be wise for Benny to do the same.

By the way on the home stadium topic... A great place to consider would be John Carroll. The perfect size, location, and even though the Jesuits (are they even Catholic?) run that school it would be great PR for the College to have Catholic schools playing football games there. The issue I see though is UH has some restrictions on Friday even activities @ Shula Stadium so as to not upset the Orthodox Jews who would be walking around the area for Friday Shabbat services.

John-Carroll-Uni.jpg

Also maybe its time to consider having Saturday afternoon games at Bossu Field. I'm not talking a potential St. Ed's or Hoban type game that brings in a decent road contingent but the Cleveland Central Catholics or Senate type opponent. Put up another couple sections of stands and let the balance stand around the field. Would save some $s.
Notre Dame college would be great as well but they do not have lights . I still like mayfield . Near the freeways . Good parking . Solid facility.

Notre Dame college would be great as well but they do not have lights . I still like mayfield . Near the freeways . Good parking . Solid facility.

Might as well play at Bossu Field then. I have gone by NDC when they are playing football games and more folks are standing along the fence then in the puny stands.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think Maple Hts. is receptive to the Bengals playing at their place for a fair price.

A move further east is disappointing, and does not separate us from VASJ.

Hope something else comes together, or a last minute adjustment by foolhardy Bedford, who will be letting a good thing leave, with nothing new coming in to take it's place.

Why is Benedictine looking to play their home games elsewhere? Did their lease run out with Bedford?

Even though this was already mentioned already, one stadium that I COULD see working would be (and this is in spite of their strange setup) DiSanto Field. It's not terribly far from the campus, and the varsity team plays at Nobby's Ballpark right across from it. Also if Case was willing, Benedictine could play their home games on Friday nights since Case plays theirs on Saturday afternoons. Just found out that someone mentioned DiSanto Field.

Last edited:
Why is Benedictine looking to play their home games elsewhere? Did their lease run out with Bedford?

Even though this was already mentioned already, one stadium that I COULD see working would be (and this is in spite of their strange setup) DiSanto Field. It's not terribly far from the campus, and the varsity team plays at Nobby's Ballpark right across from it. Also if Case was willing, Benedictine could play their home games on Friday nights since Case plays theirs on Saturday afternoons. Just found out that someone mentioned DiSanto Field.

I think the rent for Bedford is getting cost prohibitive for Benedictine to stay there.

I like Euclid's Stadium but the location is not the best. It is relatively close to I-90 but not centrally located and far away from the southern suburbs where quite a few students are coming from these days. They do have great hot dogs though.

I think the rent for Bedford is getting cost prohibitive for Benedictine to stay there.

I like Euclid's Stadium but the location is not the best. It is relatively close to I-90 but not centrally located and far away from the southern suburbs where quite a few students are coming from these days. They do have great hot dogs though.
The best hotdogs btw. Euclid Stadium is only 2 years old is very fan friendly since the stands are so close to the field. The distance is not that bad since it is right off of Rt 90. The parking lot is way bigger than Bedford as well.

Looks like Euclid fills the week 10 slot, can anyone here confirm?

If this is the case I would also think that home games next year would be at their place. Nice stadium with great sight lines and from I understand a nice savings to the Benny Athletic Department. I hope it works out in the long run.
2678.jpg

Looks like Euclid fills the week 10 slot, can anyone here confirm?

If this is the case I would also think that home games next year would be at their place. Nice stadium with great sight lines and from I understand a nice savings to the Benny Athletic Department. I hope it works out in the long run.
2678.jpg
Go Blue !

So is this what we got?
@ Shaker Heights
vs Toledo Central Catholic
@ Cleveland Central Catholic
@ Massillon Washington
vs Austintown-Fitch
vs St. Edward
@ Archbishop Hoban
vs Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
@Lake Catholic
@ Euclid

That would mean in the last 3 years our opponents have:
16 playoff appearances
8 final 4 appearances
5 state championships appearances
3 Titles

40 total state championships for all of our opponents

So is this what we got?
@ Shaker Heights
@ Massillon Washington
vs Austintown-Fitch
vs St. Edward
@ Archbishop Hoban
@Lake Catholic
@ Euclid

16 playoff appearances
8 final 4 appearances
3 Titles

WOW. Would think you guys would have to win 2-3 games between playing TCC, Massillon, Fitch, Ed's, Hoban, and Euclid just to have a shot at the playoffs. Brutal. Good luck!

Benedictine will likely not be playing home games in the new stadium at Euclid but rather the old Sparky Stadium right next door; this is the arrangement they had with VASJ last year. The good news it it has a turf field, the bad is that most if not all of the seating is on the home side.

Benedictine will likely not be playing home games in the new stadium at Euclid but rather the old Sparky Stadium right next door; this is the arrangement they had with VASJ last year. The good news it it has a turf field, the bad is that most if not all of the seating is on the home side.
I’m pretty certain it’s the new one. Fr. Willie can probably confirm.

So is this what we got?
@ Shaker Heights
@ Massillon Washington
vs Austintown-Fitch
vs St. Edward
@ Archbishop Hoban
@Lake Catholic
@ Euclid

16 playoff appearances
8 final 4 appearances
3 Titles

Yikes..going to be tough to make the playoffs with that schedule

No not at all when it becomes official we will be playing on the NEW field not Sparky

A quick look at how the schedule breaks down>

@ Shaker Heights>
Shaker is a program in flux, should be a nice way to ease into the season with Div I computer points.

vs Toledo Central Catholic >
The likely 1st game at the new home, Euclid Stadium, against one of best mid-sized programs in the state.

@ Cleveland Central Catholic>
Why is this game still on the schedule? A senate team would be better comp and more computer points.

@ Massillon Washington>
Tough traditionally strong opponent with state title aspirations in a hostile environment, it will be a nice infusion of $s into the budget too.

vs Austintown-Fitch>
Solid Steel Valley foe breaking in a new coach, cannot sleep on this team in the middle of the tough part of the schedule.

vs St. Edward>
Nice to see these guys back on the schedule. Will be a tough task but the environment at Euclid should be fun and if Benny can stay in the game it will create some buzz around the program in CLE.

@ Archbishop Hoban>
I hope the effort is better in 2020 than in 2019. Another good test to see where Benny stands against a state title contender.

vs Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin>
Might be the last time they play each for some time, might as well go out on a high note.

@Lake Catholic>
Outside of Hoban, Lake Catholic will probably be the only former NCL team on the schedule in the future. Their fans will love playing us at Euclid too.

@ Euclid>
Glad they could grab a game to finish the season. No love lost between Rotsky and Benny; will probably be a very spirited game and could be an important game for computer points.

I see a 7-3 or 6-4 type record, the key games will be TCC, Fitch, & Euclid. It really could come down to that last game against Euclid.

No not at all when it becomes official we will be playing on the NEW field not Sparky
Not at all what I heard from a highly reliable source (a staff member at Euclid). They said games will be at Sparky and only on Saturday afternoon or Saturday nights opposite of Euclid home games. They also said Euclid uses its own concessions and keeps all profits.

A quick look at how the schedule breaks down>

@ Shaker Heights>
Shaker is a program in flux, should be a nice way to ease into the season with Div I computer points.

vs Toledo Central Catholic >
The likely 1st game at the new home, Euclid Stadium, against one of best mid-sized programs in the state.

@ Cleveland Central Catholic>
Why is this game still on the schedule? A senate team would be better comp and more computer points.

@ Massillon Washington>
Tough traditionally strong opponent with state title aspirations in a hostile environment, it will be a nice infusion of $s into the budget too.

vs Austintown-Fitch>
Solid Steel Valley foe breaking in a new coach, cannot sleep on this team in the middle of the tough part of the schedule.

vs St. Edward>
Nice to see these guys back on the schedule. Will be a tough task but the environment at Euclid should be fun and if Benny can stay in the game it will create some buzz around the program in CLE.

@ Archbishop Hoban>
I hope the effort is better in 2020 than in 2019. Another good test to see where Benny stands against a state title contender.

vs Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin>
Might be the last time they play each for some time, might as well go out on a high note.

@Lake Catholic>
Outside of Hoban, Lake Catholic will probably be the only former NCL team on the schedule in the future. Their fans will love playing us at Euclid too.

@ Euclid>
Glad they could grab a game to finish the season. No love lost between Rotsky and Benny; will probably be a very spirited game and could be an important game for computer points.

I see a 7-3 or 6-4 type record, the key games will be TCC, Fitch, & Euclid. It really could come down to that last game against Euclid.
I say 6-4.

Not at all what I heard from a highly reliable source (a staff member at Euclid). They said games will be at Sparky and only on Saturday afternoon or Saturday nights opposite of Euclid home games. They also said Euclid uses its own concessions and keeps all profits.

Why would Benny or even Euclid do this? I get the concessions, that is true at any school that rents a stadium to another and Saturdays is a given unless the renting team is out of town. The thing is that Euclid just spent a lot of $s on the new stadium, why not try to make some of that back from a good program that brings in some decent opponents that will travel well? On Benny's side why would they move from a great facility at Bedford to play at what is basically a JV field in Euclid? It just doesn't make sense for Benny do to this move if to Sparky.

I believe that the Cleveland Central Catholic game is more than likely finishing up a two year home-and-home deal.

It is a 2 year deal but you can always get out of these as long as the other team finds an opponent. You would think that CCC would have no issues doing this, especially finding another struggling program that could look to the Ironmen for a W.