Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

"Bill Withers, who wrote and sang a string of soulful songs in the 1970s that have stood the test of time, including “ Lean on Me, ” “Lovely Day” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” has died from heart complications, his family said in a statement to The Associated Press. He was 81.

The three-time Grammy Award winner, who withdrew from making music in the mid-1980s, died on Monday in Los Angeles, the statement said. His death comes as the public has drawn inspiration from his music during the coronavirus pandemic, with health care workers, choirs, artists and more posting their own renditions on “Lean on Me” to help get through the difficult times...."

Link:

Hi All,

I don't have much, but here's the latest on Bevo:

He is still in the ICU on a ventilator, but is hanging in there. He cannot talk, but his wife did tell him that all of us on the AARP Thread are thinking about him and keeping him in our prayers. Let's just keep those prayers ramped up!

Prayers for Bevo!
Thank you for the update, OWK. Keep us posted.

Be ?, and get well, Bevo! ?

Hi All,

I don't have much, but here's the latest on Bevo:

He is still in the ICU on a ventilator, but is hanging in there. He cannot talk, but his wife did tell him that all of us on the AARP Thread are thinking about him and keeping him in our prayers. Let's just keep those prayers ramped up!

Prayers for Bevo!
I've had Bevo in my heart for awhile now, cheering for him and praying like crazy for him. I made it out of my own struggles. I just know that he will too! Luv ya', brother!

Al Kaline. Many good memories there.
I've had Bevo in my heart for awhile now, cheering for him and praying like crazy for him. I made it out of my own struggles. I just know that he will too! Luv ya', brother!

This thread started in December of 2001 and this is by far the toughest post I've ever had to share.

Our dear friend and a founding father of the AARP Thread, Bevo, has passed away from COVID-19. He passed away peacefully surrounded by his family at about noon today. This is a huge loss and the world won't be as good a place without Bevo.

His family said they really appreciated the prayers of our members and mentioned just how much Bevo loved this group. He, of course, was loved by us and he will REALLY be missed.

His son mentioned, "Not to fret, Bevo is up there now reuniting with past loved ones and is spreading the good word on all things Cleveland sports and sports in general to anyone willing to listen." Bevo Jr also said that he is grateful to our members and for the prayers and well wishes.

RIP Bevo and prayers for his family!

This is just tragic news . I have been an "on-line" friend of Bevo since the very beginning and honestly felt like I had known him for years, even though we had never met personally . He, and his anecdotes will be remembered for a long time . Bevo was a very special person who brought so much enjoyment
to this site. RIP, good buddy.

Condolences to Bevo's family .

JB

Truly saddened by this news. Although I’m relatively new to the AARP thread as compared to others, it seems pretty obvious to me that the loss of Bevo, with his upbeat personality, keen observations, and quirky sense of humor, will leave a huge hole. He will be sorely missed by all of us here. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

This thread started in December of 2001 and this is by far the toughest post I've ever had to share.

Our dear friend and a founding father of the AARP Thread, Bevo, has passed away from COVID-19. He passed away peacefully surrounded by his family at about noon today. This is a huge loss and the world won't be as good a place without Bevo.

His family said they really appreciated the prayers of our members and mentioned just how much Bevo loved this group. He, of course, was loved by us and he will REALLY be missed.

His son mentioned, "Not to fret, Bevo is up there now reuniting with past loved ones and is spreading the good word on all things Cleveland sports and sports in general to anyone willing to listen." Bevo Jr also said that he is grateful to our members and for the prayers and well wishes.

Thank you, OWK, for originally contacting Bevo's family and for keeping us all updated. As the OP of this thread, starting it right alongside Bevo, this loss must be especially hard on you. You have my condolences.

I've been dreading coming on here lately, not wanting to hear potential bad news about Bevo.
Never met him, but always was amused and amazed by his unique personality, and perspective on things both past and present.
From all the stories he so vividly described here, he certainly lived a full and interesting life.
And from those memories, you can tell he was a "giver", not a taker; a teacher of ALL things; a person who would always be willing to help.
The void he leaves here is immense.
The void he leaves his family and (non-Yappi) friends I'm sure is even greater.
Matthew 25:23...His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’
Bevo provided us much joy over the past 20 years. For that I am grateful.
My last post prior to this one was about Bill Withers. This song (substitute "he"for "she") sums up my feelings today about Bevo:

Did not see this until now.

So sorry to hear the news. Thoughts and prayers to Bevo's family.

Incidentally, along with the daily numbers the ODH posts every day at 2pm, there is a link to a spreadsheet detailing all the confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ohio. They are arranged by county then by age group. Date of onset and date of death are included in the spreadsheet. As of this moment, Bevo's was the 1st confirmed case of COVID-19 in Wynadot County, and Bevo was the 1st person in Wyandot County to die of COVID-19. He was in the 60-69 age range with an onset date of March 12.

Last edited:
As of this moment, Bevo's was the 1st confirmed case of COVID-19 in Wynadot County, and Bevo was the 1st person in Wyandot County to die of COVID-19. He was in the 60-69 age range with an onset date of March 12.

And, was the 5th confirmed case in the state of Ohio: :(

Ohio-Coronavirus-Cases-4-9-20.png

Thanks for all the great comments and tributes to Bevo (Dave Plott). Obviously, he will be greatly missed.

Below are a couple of FYIs:
1. Bevo's wife (Karen) and two children (Sam and Alexandra) have seen the comments on this page and are very appreciative.
2. Funeral arrangements are pending, but when an obituary is published, I'll post it.

Also, Bevo's wife Karen posted the following on Facebook:

"I've finally gathered enough courage to post this. I'm heartbroken to say that Dave is gone. He fought long and hard but in the end it wasn't enough. We are sad and heartbroken. We are grieving but are trying to be strong for him. He had to fight alone with only our spirit and our voices on the phone by his side. What an awful time this has been. We were comforted by the brave nurses, doctors and support people who worked so hard taking care of him. We are incredibly blessed to have so much support and so many people praying for him. Rest in peace Dave, husband, father, son, teacher, coach."

R.I.P. BEVO!

Going back through the month of March, the thread is a tough read. But there's a story there, makes it very worthwhile.

When Bevo says "mom" was sick, he talking Mom mom or wife mom and how is?

Going back through the month of March, the thread is a tough read. But there's a story there, makes it very worthwhile.

When Bevo says "mom" was sick, he talking Mom mom or wife mom and how is?
I took the liberty of checking his wife's Facebook feed, and it appears her mother (Bevo's mother-in-law) passed away on March 31st. So a very, very difficult period of time for Bevo's wife, who has lost both her mother and husband in the last 2 weeks.

Deepest sympathies to her and the rest of the family

Sad to even post this, but here's the obituary for Bevo and a photo of him with his son (Sam):

R.I.P. BEVO!

Bevo seems the type of guy, making people sad be the last thing he would want. Thank you for sharing the experience OWK. A fine looking family. I can imagine Mr. Plott was brave, being a Cleveland fan and not hiding it.