2020 American Legion Baseball Regionals and Legion World Series Cancelled

Way too early IMO. They could move dates and remove requirements. If possible, travel baseball may be playing during the Summer. Because of this decision, American Legion will not.

These kids that wanted to play American Legion will now have to find alternate teams. It wouldn't surprise me to see some American Legion teams stick together under a travel baseball program. I just hate seeing decisions like this made prematurely.

As an optimist, I'm hoping for great weather, very few new cases, and specific successful treatments for those afflicted with Coronavirus by the Summer time. Life could return to normal except for those that pulled the trigger too early.

A big part of this is going to be all the schools that rent their facilities (fields) out for play, If the State is still locking down schools, that means all the facilities.

I'd be surprised, based on what's coming out of Columbus that anything eases up for summer activities.

I hope I'm wrong

IMO, May 1st is the date to target for what is going to happen. At that point, DeWine will make his decision whether to extend the stay at home order and school lock down. He should give some insight as to how he see the Summer playing out at that point. With the IHME projections saying that Ohio will peak out hospital resources on April 8th and deaths on April 12th, that could be 2-3 weeks on the backside of the peak. We could be seeing alot of momentum at that point to start things back up.

I just think cancelling things that are months away is a mistake unless there is some financial deadline that is being met.

I absolutely agree with Mr.Yappi. Unless some money has to be spent now (like non-refundable deposits), why cancel things so early? You can always turn things off but you cannot turn things on unless... the insurance companies and lawyers are saying "nah baby nah." If that is the case nothing really matters. I guess, kids and parents could sign wavers to play league games and local tourneys but the national organization may not want the liability. But again, no need to make that decision now. May 1st is going to be important for everything. Restarting the plants, opening up shops, everything. Also, if anyone thinks the "stay at home rule" will be rigorously followed by the general public in May and June with these numbers that Ohio is publishing, I think they are not being realistic.

If the Governor still has a stay at home order, in any fashion..... (and after reading the words that have been coming out of his mouth, I truly believe he's going to extend orders in some fashion through the fall) No insurance carrier will allow any organization to proceed as normal.

That's reality.

If the Governor still has a stay at home order, in any fashion..... (and after reading the words that have been coming out of his mouth, I truly believe he's going to extend orders in some fashion through the fall) No insurance carrier will allow any organization to proceed as normal.

That's reality.
Isn't American Legion nationwide?

For me, I am part of Little League and we are in a similar situation. It seems Little League is doing everything it can to have a season this year. One of my fears is that Little League will begin play again but Ohio will have rules in place that prevent us (Ohioans) from participating. I believe that it is a real possibility and I don't blame Little League if they do decide to begin their season even if some areas are unable to play due to outbreak or stricter rules on its residents.

That's reality.
There may be some regulations with regards to size of crowds, but the numbers as they stand right now and as they are trending do not require a stay at home order. Ohio cannot withstand extended shutdown if the general populace does not agree. It will be ignored. Denmark and Australia are starting to unwind in stages starting next week. Again, the numbers as they stand right now, do not require the sacrifice that is being made especially if Ohio does not get its act together and start testing thereby establishing where the outbreaks are. That is also reality.

Isn't American Legion nationwide?

For me, I am part of Little League and we are in a similar situation. It seems Little League is doing everything it can to have a season this year. One of my fears is that Little League will begin play again but Ohio will have rules in place that prevent us (Ohioans) from participating. I believe that it is a real possibility and I don't blame Little League if they do decide to begin their season even if some areas are unable to play due to outbreak or stricter rules on its residents.

I did a poor job of correlating the Legion's decision with Summer baseball potential in Ohio.

The Legion's decision isn't good for the prospects of playing baseball this summer. Add DeWine's approach to the mix and it's not looking promising.

There may be some regulations with regards to size of crowds, but the numbers as they stand right now and as they are trending do not require a stay at home order. Ohio cannot withstand extended shutdown if the general populace does not agree. It will be ignored. Denmark and Australia are starting to unwind in stages starting next week. Again, the numbers as they stand right now, do not require the sacrifice that is being made especially if Ohio does not get its act together and start testing thereby establishing where the outbreaks are. That is also reality.

Agree with everything you posted except when you mention the general populace ignoring orders.

While there will be a segment of the population that gives the governor the middle finger, (already started) in my opinion, you won't see organizations (baseball, soccer, basketball, etc...) stepping out and attemtpting to proceed as normal. The financial risk to individuals, individual teams, and organizations is too great to defy a 'no play" order. The list of organizations that have already cancelled is already extensive and I don't see anyone stepping up and saying "I know better than the Legion, IHSAA, MHSAA, The Masters, Wimbledon, MLB, MLS, etc.... "

At some point it’s all coming back, the newest IHME model last nite has 9, deaths on June 1... that’s a super duper small number. If that’s the case sports will be back, whether people like it or not.

I can tell you this...Ohio will not be the first State to bring back sports. You can bet on that. And I've talked to a few who say their schools have said no to scheduling of fields for events not school sponsored. That's going to be a big issue for some of the older kids and summer leagues. Schools don't want the liability and won't make the decision themselves.

I can tell you this...Ohio will not be the first State to bring back sports. You can bet on that. And I've talked to a few who say their schools have said no to scheduling of fields for events not school sponsored. That's going to be a big issue for some of the older kids and summer leagues. Schools don't want the liability and won't make the decision themselves.
I believe it is foolish for schools to not at least tentatively schedule fields for the times this summer. Not that difficult to put a provision in the contract it is dependent on the state of chaos we are in.

Agreed. Getting back to normal should be one of the goals. If things aren't normal, simply cancel. Most people will understand.

Interestingly, in my community they have signs on every baseball/softball field saying that the field is off limits. I understand not allowing teams to practice but there are plenty of people that are getting outside and using our parks. The fields are the only thing inaccessible.

Agreed. Getting back to normal should be one of the goals. If things aren't normal, simply cancel. Most people will understand.

Interestingly, in my community they have signs on every baseball/softball field saying that the field is off limits. I understand not allowing teams to practice but there are plenty of people that are getting outside and using our parks. The fields are the only thing inaccessible.

Michigan's Governor is forcing big box stores to close sections of "non-essential" merchandise like garden centers, carpeting, etc.

I am guessing they are trying not to tempt people to break the social distancing rules. Lots of kids around here congregating in the parks - skateboarding, etc. I would love to start hitting fungoes/throwing BP to my son, but I'm sure there would be a handful of neighborhood kids that would want to shag balls, get a few swings themselves, etc. Pretty soon, someone would be calling the cops. Probably just easier to lock them up than to have to send a patrol car out to the park 15 times a day.

Yesterday, drove by one of the softball fields and there were about 10 cars in the parking lot with the kids huddled around talking together. Recognized a few of them as softball players. They might have been on the field for batting practice standing safely apart but because of the rule, they just got together in a group. I know the rule is well-intentioned in theory but kids don't always make the best decisions.

Another interesting thing is that have been alot of people out walking on the trails and in the parks these past few weeks. Way more than the average of the last 15-20 years. Just took an order from the governor to get some of these people out of their homes!!

All of those steps are understandable if you look at the numbers of casualties that the model was calling for at the outset. 100k to 2M was the initial estimate. The politicians would be cutting their own throats if they had not reacted to that model. However, in the last week, the max has been reduced to 80k and then 60k. And the model did factor in on the low end the social distancing. For a variety of reasons, the model is clearly flawed. The assumptions of the virus itself are wrong, the numbers who have or had it are not understood and most importantly, do we have a treatment that is effective? So far, the health department has reacted to the potential of the pandemic and rightfully so. Now that it seems unlikely that we will need the 5 million dollar hospital set up in our convention center, we need to answer all of these other questions quickly. I submit that those answers are more important in the long run then the shutdown turned out to be. Nobody wants to see at second wave this summer and nobody wants to go into another lockdown in the fall and winter.