Your schools greatest team...

That '84 St. Francis team was tough & very well-coached. Beat a very good Centerville team a week after knocking off #1 Moeller...

[
Who?
Never heard of those folks, and in a decade no one will know who they are.

...but that state title will resonate for generations to come.

but that is just me, i imagine i am in the minority here.
I think next door to St Henry...what do I think of when it comes from them, the NFL players or the titles.

The titles.

plus you’re talking about a little school state title and comparing it to the best athlete of the decade in Ohio. That’s just stupid

Preble Shawnee
2017 they went 8-2. Best record they have ever had.

Graduated from Hamilton.....and I’m sure somebody much older than me will have a better answer. But the 97 team that went 9-1 and won the GMC comes to mind.

The Pittmans and the Murphys were outstanding. Should have been ranked first in the state.
We ended up 5th in the state that year. With the AP polls in those days, plenty of biases went into those polls.
Ending the season in a 6-6 tie to Ursuline may have also had something to do with it.
The field at Rayen didn't have a blade of grass on it. It absolutely poured for days leading up to the weekend. With Mooney playing Central Friday night and YSU playing there Saturday afternoon, by the start of our game it was a complete mess. A unbelievable downpour the entire evening. The most miserable I've ever been at any game in my life.
Once we got back to Struthers after the game, our field was in surprisingly decent shape. Had that game been played on our field we may possibly have finished 10-0 instead of 9-0-1. Could've been two 10-0 seasons in a row; just wasn't meant to be.
The 1966 Hubbard team was pretty awesome in those days. They spanked our butts 28-14 on our field. An excellent season for the Eagles that year.
What some of us oldtimers witnessed in those days, you'd never see anything like that ever again.

Tallmadge 2005 (13-1). Went to the Final 4. Lost to Canfield 17-14 in Semifinals. No other games that year were close.

One player on Canfield stopped Tallmadge from winning that game, Angelo Babbaro. His offense was good but it was his defense and stopping Jamel Miller (Tallmadge RB) was the difference in the game.

Not trying to diminish Toledo Central Catholic's state championship that year but when Babbaro went down in that game, Canfield was winning 14-3. Without him on the field, TCC scored 28 points in a little over 2 quarters. He was that much of a difference maker.

That kid was a real player. As I recall, he went to Villanova.

Steubenville Catholic Central. 10-0. 1971 'AA' Poll Champions for the AP and UPI. Outscored the opposition 253-26. Six shutouts.

I'd like to see the 1993 team matches up against them. I specifically remember that they never played a single D5 school all year--they always played a team that was higher. Then they won D5, which was the last year for five divisions.

2014 Athens. That team caused the running clock rule. Wish they could have won state but Joe Burrow becoming the Heisman and national champ was better

QB Joe Burrow LSU Heisman and National Champ
RB Trae Williams Northwestern Captain
WR Ryan Luehram Ohio U
WR Zacciah Saltzman Georgetown
TE Adam Luehram Ohio U
OL Brody Rogers Ohio U

Maybe they wouldn't have had so many blowouts if they had stayed in the SEOAL, where they were playing a schedule that was appropriate for the school's enrollment?

I went to school in PA. But I consider Steubenville my team in Ohio. Lived there for 7 years and saw 2 state titles.

The 2006 team was just ridiculous. Only two really close games were Dover and Kettering Alter and both were the result of big halftime leads and relaxing in the second half and letting them get back into it.

In PA, my high school, Greenville's best team would be the 96 team that made the state semifinal. Lost to Blackhawk, 14-7 in Wexford.

St. Marys Memorial won three (1990, 1992, 1993) state titles in four years, but I am going to suggest that the 1979 team was its best ever. That year's senior class (Class of 1980) was 30-0 in the regular season in their varsity years. That record was marred a bit by two first round losses in the playoffs in 1977 and 1978. The 1979 edition was dominant, winning their games by an average score of 45-15, their closest game was an 18 point victory. The running backs were two eventual D-I recruits, quite an asset when you run the Wing T. Unfortunately for the Roughriders this was an era where one team per region (x 3 divisions = 12 teams total) made the playoffs and Fostoria had more Harbins. AP and UPI thought St. Marys was the best AA team in the state, but that is cold comfort.

Auglaize...I feel your discomfort. Back in the 70's, early 80's, before they went to 4 teams per region...there were many potential state title teams that did everything their schedule allowed, but were left at home. It stunk. Thankfully they fixed it. We've had 16 playoff teams, but our 4 best ever sat it out.

Others from SEO
2018 Trimble
2018 For Frye
2016 Tri Valley
2015 Jackson
2015 Zanesville
2012 Gallia
2000 Logan
1989 Wheelersburg
1981 Nelsonville York
1979 Ironton

St. Marys Memorial won three (1990, 1992, 1993) state titles in four years, but I am going to suggest that the 1979 team was its best ever. That year's senior class (Class of 1980) was 30-0 in the regular season in their varsity years. That record was marred a bit by two first round losses in the playoffs in 1977 and 1978. The 1979 edition was dominant, winning their games by an average score of 45-15, their closest game was an 18 point victory. The running backs were two eventual D-I recruits, quite an asset when you run the Wing T. Unfortunately for the Roughriders this was an era where one team per region (x 3 divisions = 12 teams total) made the playoffs and Fostoria had more Harbins. AP and UPI thought St. Marys was the best AA team in the state, but that is cold comfort.
Never heard of the 1979 team. Who were the two runnings backs?

Cold comfort indeed. The Grand Lake area has been blessed with some outstanding coaches, from Baughman, Hetrick ( I know not really GL area ), Reed, Otten, Goodwin. Unfortunately after Goodwin retires, I just doubt if that lineage of great coaching will continue.

Cold comfort indeed. The Grand Lake area has been blessed with some outstanding coaches, from Baughman, Hetrick ( I know not really GL area ), Reed, Otten, Goodwin. Unfortunately after Goodwin retires, I just doubt if that lineage of great coaching will continue.
I think and hope it continues with coaches such as Stokes, Marino, and Schmidt at their respective schools. There’s some good young coaches in our area right now.

Frye is pretty damn good, and has proven it by starting this current run at Wapak and then resurrecting St. Marys after....whatever that was in the early 10s.

I think and hope it continues with coaches such as Stokes, Marino, and Schmidt at their respective schools. There’s some good young coaches in our area right now.
I hope we can play this season without much of a delay. I'd hate to see Coach Schmidt and probably the best team (Arguably) that New Bremen has ever had get marred by this virus.

I hope we can play this season without much of a delay. I'd hate to see Coach Schmidt and probably the best team (Arguably) that New Bremen has ever had get marred by this virus.
Agree 100%. I think New Bremen is poised to have a heck of a year in the MAC and the playoffs.

Preble Shawnee
2017 they went 8-2. Best record they have ever had.

Graduated from Hamilton.....and I’m sure somebody much older than me will have a better answer. But the 97 team that went 9-1 and won the GMC comes to mind.

The Big Blue actually went 10-0 that year.....it was the centennial of Hamilton football.

Current version of HHS has only been around since I believe 1980-after the reunion of Taft and Garfield.
I’d say the 97 team is the best in that era. Lost in the first round to I believe St. X IIRC.

87 Princeton Vikings had 8 guys go D-1 3 made NFL , 2 of them played multiple years in NFL , 84 Princeton Vikings was loaded as well . 88 Vike USA Today preseason ranked 4 to start season finish top 5 , I still think all 3 of these teams beat the 2004 Colerain team

I believe the 1978 Vikings finished the season #1 overall by USA Today. They get my vote.

'84 Princeton may have been better than the '83 team that won it. Region 4 was absolutely loaded those 2 years. Princeton, Moeller, Centerville & Middletown all had some of their best teams ever those 2 years...