Ohio Cardinal Conference

As in in the league since the formation of the OCC, meaning Orrville and Clear Fork? Don't see that at all.

In the league as in the old Cardinal Conference? Dover and New Philly have been rumored and talked about to death. There doesn't appear to be any solurion that makes everyone happy. In an East/West split it seems West Holmes wants no part of Dover and NP, and in a no division alignment the Mansfield schools don't want that travel. There's also the issue of finding a 10th if both jump.

The league NEEDS to do something, but it seems like no one is willing to compromise and make it happen. Wooster would be best in an Eastern league and the Mansfields and Ashland would be best sticking together in some alignment.

I heard NP has been accepted. They only wanted to add 1 team so they didn't have to split it up into 2 divisions.

That is just an umbrella league and a band aid until they get something full time. As of today, both are still in the ECOL as well.

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I heard New Philly to the Cardinal Conference is a done deal. There might be a few stipulations that have to be agree on before it's official. NP was a former long time member up until the mid to late 80's I believe. No idea if Dover will be a future member or not.

Will be interesting because in the past OCC didn't allow Wooster to keep week 10 open for Orrville. Phila-Dover week 1??? I hope not.

Will be interesting because in the past OCC didn't allow Wooster to keep week 10 open for Orrville. Phila-Dover week 1??? I hope not.

I assume that will be a deal breaker and Philly will remain in the ECOL and keep exploring other options. No league is bigger than the Dover/Philly game in week 10.

Last edited:
I assume that will be a deal breaker and Philly will remain in the ECOL and keep exploring other options. No league is bigger than the Dover/Philly game in week 10.

From what I heard Phila isn't concerned about it and will do whatever it takes to get in. Hope I'm wrong but if it is true shame on them. Also how dumb would it be for them to put week 10 Dover-Phila game in jeopardy when they have such an important levy on the ballot? Like I said will be interesting.

Will be interesting what happens. Orrville-Wooster in week 1 hasn't been the same, but that has as much to do with Orrville dropping to D5. Backyard or not, in a D2 vs D5 series the law of averages (& #/size of kids) will tend to win out. If Dover-NP has to go week 1 pretty sure it will maintain the 'edge' that it has always had.

Why would the current members of the OCC care if New Philadelphia wants to continue to play their rival in the last week of the regular season? It's like the Ohio State/Michigan game to those two communities.

New Philadelphia would be a great addition to a league so the OCC should accept them if that's the only snag.

Why would the current members of the OCC care if New Philadelphia wants to continue to play their rival in the last week of the regular season? It's like the Ohio State/Michigan game to those two communities.

New Philadelphia would be a great addition to a league so the OCC should accept them if that's the only snag.
Well, if Loudonville leaves the PAC (for KMAC) then the PAC would only have 7 teams again. That would mean that Orrville and Wooster could play in week 10 again.

Think most everyone would tend to agree with you. The issue is the OCC previously made the 6th oldest rivalry in the state move to week 1. Maybe Dover-NP being the 3rd oldest rivalry will change their minds. We will see.

Week 1, week 10. Honestly, who cares. Coming from a 100+ year rivalry played week 1....I like it. From the minute the season ends until game time, EVERYTHING you do is about them. There are no other games in between, the entire summer is preparing to beat the hated team across the field. You win, you get a huge boost into the season. You lose, you have to find a way to regroup and quick.

It takes nothing away from the intensity of the game, and IMO a non league game week 10 just feels weird. A league rivalry with the potential of everything on the line is great. Non league..meh. either is fine.

Simple solution, get both Phila and Dover in. Would solidify the East/West alignment with Wooster and Ashland. Just need West Holmes to agree, since NP already plays them in many sports and they are very competitive across the board.

Simple solution, get both Phila and Dover in. Would solidify the East/West alignment with Wooster and Ashland. Just need West Holmes to agree, since NP already plays them in many sports and they are very competitive across the board.

Not simple at all. Need a third team for that scenario to play out. Only problem OCC is trying to solve is a non league game in back half of the schedule not split the league into two divisions.

Think most everyone would tend to agree with you. The issue is the OCC previously made the 6th oldest rivalry in the state move to week 1. Maybe Dover-NP being the 3rd oldest rivalry will change their minds. We will see.

This also happened because the other team in that rivalry Orrville, left the conference. So I don't think there was much help in trying to get that game happen in week 10.

have the league schedule Wooster vs NP in week 10. Then have them OOC schedule each other a different week, leaving their week 10 open for their rivalry game.
The league shouldn't care because it doesn't mess up everyone else scheduling. Getting Dover and Orrville to have week 10 free would be the issue.

Question now would be who's the next team to leave the OCC? Also, assuming NP joins at the start of the 2021-2022 school year?

Question now would be who's the next team to leave the OCC? Also, assuming NP joins at the start of the 2021-2022 school year?

My guess is Lexington. I think if Philly joins than they will want to leave and join the MOAC. Travel time makes sense for them, plus they're a smaller D3 school in football.

I'm not sure anyone leaves at this point. They need an 8th team, currently sitting at 7.
Now would this move make the western teams look again? I think so. Mount Vernon and Lexington would probably look hard at a move.

This also happened because the other team in that rivalry Orrville, left the conference. So I don't think there was much help in trying to get that game happen in week 10.
"left" / "asked to leave", either way, same situation here. NP would be in the OCC and Dover would not.

Is kinda ironic that the OCC wanted Orrville out and yet now the league can't seem to keep itself full. The last 2 years would have been something watching West Holmes v Orrville (2018) and Sr vs Orrville (2019).

My guess is Lexington. I think if Philly joins than they will want to leave and join the MOAC. Travel time makes sense for them, plus they're a smaller D3 school in football.

MOAC will be back at 8 with Highland. Doubt there will be a spot available, unless Marion leaves.

"left" / "asked to leave", either way, same situation here. NP would be in the OCC and Dover would not.

Is kinda ironic that the OCC wanted Orrville out and yet now the league can't seem to keep itself full. The last 2 years would have been something watching West Holmes v Orrville (2018) and Sr vs Orrville (2019).
The OCC never asked Orrville to leave. Orrville wanted out for a couple years and when the PAC showed interest they jumped. Orrville struggled to compete in all sports and they wanted out. Badly.