Will there be a season?

At least they didnt cancel it.

I dont see them extending the season, but could we see an extremely abbreviated season of about 2 weeks and then start the tourny, and teams who get beat out early continue to play longer than they normally do?

With all teams making the tourny you can still go through the seeding process. Wont be perfect, but better htan nothing....

Here is a link to the projected numbers the Ohio Department of Health has shared.
Yellow = Without any social distancing precautions taken
Blue = Our current social distancing precautions taken

The blue actually seems relatively accurate so far. Today's projected amount of new cases was around 375. We had a slightly fewer than 300 new confirmed cases today.

Here is a link to the projected numbers the Ohio Department of Health has shared.
Yellow = Without any social distancing precautions taken
Blue = Our current social distancing precautions taken

The blue actually seems relatively accurate so far. Today's projected amount of new cases was around 375. We had a slightly fewer than 300 new confirmed cases today.

View attachment 6543
And when you see the end of the blue curve? May 24...and that's when we SLOWLY start to reintroduce normal life. The places where people congregate regularly will be the last to return to normal. Its probably going to be at least July that sports or school could return to normal.

The OHSAA needs to step up, listen, and just make the decision instead of putting it on others. I'm tired of seeing athletes still getting together thinking there still might be a season, all because they are acting like its possible. Olympics...postponed for a year, MLB...pojected to return in JULY. I expecting if Snodgrass keeps this up its eventually going to cost him his job. This false hope he is giving kids is going to lead to alot of questions when they finally do cancel spring sports.

And when you see the end of the blue curve? May 24...and that's when we SLOWLY start to reintroduce normal life. The places where people congregate regularly will be the last to return to normal. Its probably going to be at least July that sports or school could return to normal.

The OHSAA needs to step up, listen, and just make the decision instead of putting it on others. I'm tired of seeing athletes still getting together thinking there still might be a season, all because they are acting like its possible. Olympics...postponed for a year, MLB...pojected to return in JULY. I expecting if Snodgrass keeps this up its eventually going to cost him his job. This false hope he is giving kids is going to lead to alot of questions when they finally do cancel spring sports.

Hey Grange... R-E-L-A-X

While I respect your opinion, I feel there are equally as many (if not more) people who are commending the OHSAA for not cancelling too quickly. No matter what decision is made, there will always be somebody upset.

It's okay to be realistic and understand that we are probably not going to have a season. But it doesn't mean we need to put blame on anybody when they all are doing the absolute best they can.

(my post above was in reference to fall sports, which I think will likely be fine... I am very confident spring sports are done, but there is no harm in holding out hope)

The Ohio HIGH SCHOOL athletic association is going to follow the lead of the schools...........plain and simple and the way they should do it.
If the supreme leaders decide it is ok for kids to go back to school, and be in a confined classroom, then it sure as heck should be good enough for spring sports to continue. There is plenty of room for fans to spread out if they attend and fear the boogeyman.

As i stated earlier, I could see baseball return with an even more strict pitch count since kids wont be able to build up their durability.

I believe most would have an issue with the OHSAA and call for his head if he cancelled way too early.

Once you cancel, its done.

The lack of rationale with some of you on here about the current projections is mind blowing. I guess its hard sometimes to see the light at the end of the tunnel and we need distractions along the way. But enabling alot of kids to do the wrong thing and allow coaches/parents to still unnecessarily plan for nothing is wrong and insensitive. I understand why keeping school staying at home with 3-4 week updates because they are at home doing the work and not being unsafe.

B-E R-A-T-I-O-N-A-L-E

The peak has moved forward. Dr. Acton finally admitted that she does not have the testing data nor is Ohio doing the work of following the contact after being found positive. She is anticipating 6K to 8k a day in 2 weeks. That is a lot. she said 2 weeks ago that 100k already had the virus. I don't know that that number is right either. Who knows, we might be going through the peak right now. but the problem is that Ohio has not tested enough. IT just hasn't for whatever reason. MLB will start back up in June.

I'm guessing chs1971 is in a school system whose break is tied to Easter in some way, could be wrong about that though.

In terms of the Olympics and pro sports, there are many more logistical hurdles involved than with Ohio high school.

I think OHSAA is doing the best they can given the circumstances in terms of managing things.

The lack of rationale with some of you on here about the current projections is mind blowing. I guess its hard sometimes to see the light at the end of the tunnel and we need distractions along the way. But enabling alot of kids to do the wrong thing and allow coaches/parents to still unnecessarily plan for nothing is wrong and insensitive. I understand why keeping school staying at home with 3-4 week updates because they are at home doing the work and not being unsafe.

B-E R-A-T-I-O-N-A-L-E

L-O-L.... I think that was one of the first posts I genuinely laughed out loud at; maybe its cabin fever being stuck inside.

Personally, If I am a coach, what is wrong with giving my players a GoogleClassroom for them to get work done AT HOME. What else do they have to do at home? What would you rather have??? A coach putting stuff out for them to be doing? or the kids playing video games on their "break." You are out of touch with reality. Coaches do not mind putting together this stuff for their players... considering they would be developing practice plans every day anyway? If you are a parent and don't want your kids participating in these "at home workouts" that is fine.. your kids will be left in the dust once normal life resumes.

Also, I think all of us are aware that the chances of spring sports being cancelled are very high bud. I think the term would be. O-P-T-I-M-I-S-T-I-C

Big Y-I-K-E-S to you my friend... go back to the Track Forums, baseball optimism only here.

?

The peak has moved forward.
That's what I saw too. Just a couple days ago when they first put the graph online, April 19th was the peak. Now they have it as April 25th. That is a big change in only a couple of days. I'm guessing it is because the number of confirmed daily cases went down two days in a row.

Also, I don't believe we will ever have 10,000 confirmed cases in one day. New York hasn't had that many in a day and they were considered the epicenter the last week.

That's what I saw too. Just a couple days ago when they first put the graph online, April 19th was the peak. Now they have it as April 25th. That is a big change in only a couple of days. I'm guessing it is because the number of confirmed daily cases went down two days in a row.

Also, I don't believe we will ever have 10,000 confirmed cases in one day. New York hasn't had that many in a day and they were considered the epicenter the last week.
The WHO (World Health Org) said the way to go about this is with testing and strategically isolating but Ohio really has not done this. My biggest fear about this is if it turns out to not be close to the numbers she has thrown out there, will people listen anymore moving forward? Also did you see what Virginia did through June 10th. Why do that?

I expecting if Snodgrass keeps this up its eventually going to cost him his job. This false hope he is giving kids is going to lead to alot of questions when they finally do cancel spring sports.

False hope would be Jerry saying "we're starting on ______" and then saying "sorry, not gonna happen" when that day comes.

It's real simple. They are on hold right now until the governor lifts the order. When that changes, they can announce their decisions. (which they already have in place)

Nobody is losing their job over this.

Nonsense.

DeWine has been saying Mid May for the last 10 days. He also said today that more "orders" are coming.

His mission is to save lives. He has made that clear from the beginning.

Schools aren't allowing coaches to give workout plans or video workouts is for legal reasoning. And they're making the correct call. If a kid were to get hurt it's a huge legal liability. You don't have to like it but those are the facts.

Schools aren't allowing coaches to give workout plans or video workouts is for legal reasoning. And they're making the correct call. If a kid were to get hurt it's a huge legal liability. You don't have to like it but those are the facts.
Turns out that in our case this answer is wrong. Our coaches are just very confused about what no contact means and they are starting to contact the boys with a pep talk and workouts making clear that they are not to get together in groups to do this.

I for one am glad the OHSAA is not jumping the gun and just canning sports. There is obviously a point where they have to make a final decision but March 31 is not that date.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

Turns out that in our case this answer is wrong. Our coaches are just very confused about what no contact means and they are starting to contact the boys with a pep talk and workouts making clear that they are not to get together in groups to do this.
Coach can't be there, even just watching.

but the problem is that Ohio has not tested enough. IT just hasn't for whatever reason.
This is the reason I believe many more people in Ohio have it than we know about. I don't think it's a mind-blowing number, just more than the official data says. Such is life when there is a shortage of testing kits nationwide. As far as the season goes, I think everyone knows that if schools are closed beyond May 1st, there will be no spring sports. 99% of the decision is dependent on the Federal social-distancing guidelines expiring on April 30th.

I just cannot fathom this lasting so long that it pushes back fall school year and football.

This virus is a sign from God to the OHSAA that football needs to wait until August EVERY year from 2020 forward in Ohio. No more "coachable days" fouling up June or July. No spring football.

Stay in your lane, football coaches. Sack up and don't be bullied by these football programs, OHSAA.

This is the reason I believe many more people in Ohio have it than we know about. I don't think it's a mind-blowing number, just more than the official data says. Such is life when there is a shortage of testing kits nationwide. As far as the season goes, I think everyone knows that if schools are closed beyond May 1st, there will be no spring sports. 99% of the decision is dependent on the Federal social-distancing guidelines expiring on April 30th.
I think the confirmed number of cases is a useful proxy. the good news is that the last few days, there has been a leveling off of new cases. Lets cross our fingers that we reached the peak. if we can just hang in there for next two weeks, I like our chances. The nice weather is helpful too. Just like Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes, think GOOD VIBES everyone. GOOD VIBES!!!