Best and Worst Indoor Facilities in Ohio

ghsknightsfan

love the Knights and Grey Ghosts!
i’ve been to each indoor track in Ohio except Oberlin so far.

Best/Most Enjoyable- Akron

Worst/Least Enjoyable- Cedarville

just my opinions

The anticipation is killing me. Are you ever going to tell us why?
Akron- was just run very smoothly in my two times spectating and facilities would be fit to host the state meet in my opinion.

Cedarville- absolutely too crowded, no seating, no parking, nothing was run on time. the pole vaulters we’re almost touching the runners in lane one the whole day. i also saw 3 kids twist ankles in the long jump board.

They are making a lot of progress on the new indoor track at Mt. St. Joseph college on the west side of Cincinnati. Does anyone know if they will be hosting high school meets there in 2021? It would be nice for South West OH, Northern KY and South East IN high schools to have a new option for indoor meets.

Akron- was just run very smoothly in my two times spectating and facilities would be fit to host the state meet in my opinion.

Cedarville- absolutely too crowded, no seating, no parking, nothing was run on time. the pole vaulters we’re almost touching the runners in lane one the whole day. i also saw 3 kids twist ankles in the long jump board.

-Akron and Spire are really good; location of Spire obviously a problem.
-Cedarville sounds like Otterbein and OSU; so packed that it's not hardly worth going.
-Haven't seen YSU or Logan's new facility but they both seem really promising.

-Akron and Spire are really good; location of Spire obviously a problem.
-Cedarville sounds like Otterbein and OSU; so packed that it's not hardly worth going.
-Haven't seen YSU or Logan's new facility but they both seem really promising.
you’re exactly right. out of the 3 poor ones you listed, otterbein is the one i least mind going to. i wish Spire was more centralized

I've only been to 4 indoor venues that hold HS meets:
SPIRE, Akron, Kent State, and Mount Union.

If you were only comparing the buildings themselves, then SPIRE is the best hands down. Even though the drive doesn't feel as long as it is (90 min. from where I live), it's a "turn-off."

I'm a big fan of Akron. I didn't feel like there was too much difference between it and SPIRE aside from the amount of bleacher seating. The separate room for team camps and the outdoor track across the alley for warm-ups and cooldowns are a plus. Akron manages its indoor meets as well as anybody which is a huge plus.

Kent is OK but felt extremely crowded. I haven't been at Kent for a few years. I'm told they now have field turf on the infield which probably makes it feel better to those who are on the infield for hours.

Mount Union obviously can't compare since it's not oversized like the other 3. I've attended 2 meets there, and 1 was horribly overbooked. There were way too many competitors, and it took forever. Thankfully, they limited entries the following year which made things better. Even so, it's not a comfortable place to watch a meet until the final events when most people have already left.

They are making a lot of progress on the new indoor track at Mt. St. Joseph college on the west side of Cincinnati. Does anyone know if they will be hosting high school meets there in 2021? It would be nice for South West OH, Northern KY and South East IN high schools to have a new option for indoor meets.
[/QUOTE
I did not know about this. this could be huge for SW Ohio area high schools. They won't have to travel to far to run indoors if the Mount opens the facility up to the public. It's been a long time since UC was available for meets inside.

I have no idea what the seating situation is but I hope Wittenburg opens The Steamer for some high school meets
Of course they will those things are cash cows for universities. 150 kids paying 10 bucks to run the 60 with parents paying 5 bucks each to watch.

This is not a shot at the universities they are providing a service people want to pay for and the money they make gets put to good use.

Of course they will those things are cash cows for universities. 150 kids paying 10 bucks to run the 60 with parents paying 5 bucks each to watch.

This is not a shot at the universities they are providing a service people want to pay for and the money they make gets put to good use.

They typically don't make as much money as one might think. Most track and field programs actually have to pay a fee to the university in order to rent the facility for the day and it's not nominal.. Don't get me wrong, they are making a bit of money, but it isn't an astronomical amount.

They typically don't make as much money as one might think. Most track and field programs actually have to pay a fee to the university in order to rent the facility for the day and it's not nominal.. Don't get me wrong, they are making a bit of money, but it isn't an astronomical amount.
I said for the university I didn't say for the track and field program.