Central Ohio Job Openings - DAVIDSON now open

Granville is facing having to replace football, boys and girls basketball, and I believe baseball coaches. Very nice community but no emphasis on athletics and the more talented kids leave the district. This mass exodus of coaches will not help an already crumbling situation. I would consider the job desirable for a young coach who wants to have his kids grow up in the school district. This is not a job for an older, experienced coach. The talent pool is not tremendous and the community support is less than desirable.

Granville is facing having to replace football, boys and girls basketball, and I believe baseball coaches. Very nice community but no emphasis on athletics and the more talented kids leave the district. This mass exodus of coaches will not help an already crumbling situation. I would consider the job desirable for a young coach who wants to have his kids grow up in the school district. This is not a job for an older, experienced coach. The talent pool is not tremendous and the community support is less than desirable.
Where are these kids going? Johnstown? DeSales?

Basketball players leave to go to Newark, others leave for Newark Catholic- many more departures on the girls side, but the boys have experienced the same to a lesser extent. Perhaps the new AD will use his Westerville ties to bring in some coaches, but collectively, the athletic picture looks a bit hazy at best. Great move by Buttermore, he was well received in a community that doesn’t tend to welcome “outsiders” with open arms.

In addition, Buttermore likes to rebuild programs. That's part of his MO. UA needs rebuilt to compete in the OCC. Bottom line for Buttermore, UA is more Central Ohio, more money, and Division 1. Too good to pass up.
I think the UA is downtrodden and in need of a big rebuild is a bit exaggerated . Coffman will have a loaded cupboard this year but will be in rebuild after that , Davidson is fading a bit talent wise and UA beat them last year, { Albeit with a Davidson assistant who is not back as the head guy at Davidson } As recently as 2015 they beat Pickerington Central in the play-offs and beat the them the next year in the regular season . Where they have really struggled is in beating Davidson and Coffman . Davidson had won I think 13 times in a row until last year and Coffman is on a 8 straight win streak over the Bears and a 12-2 mark in the last 14 . They play the last game of the season { Not this year as the re-alignment takes hold as they play week 9 instead.} and the games have been very competitive overall , a good rivalry situation . Rocks wins over the Bears in week 10 has kept the Bears out of the play-offs three times in that span I believe.

So in other words they have the material to compete and their younger classes have beaten Davidson and Coffman feeders. Get the right coach and they will be fine and I have to say waiting seems to have paid off . Tri Valley beat UA on opening night n UA 29-27 in 2011.

Davidson got their guy to come back and is the right guy and UA I believe has the right guy . UA's one year experiment with run only Davidson style football is done . Never though that was the right offense for that community to be honest but it was successful last year just missing the play-offs { Coffman loss in week 10 of course} .

UA has great potential: History, funding and deep pockets $$$, a new High School is being built with new facilities & refurbished stadium. However, a lot of things will be difficult to overcome for the new coach (who I am sure is an excellent coach):
* This will be their 4th coach in as many years
* I believe their Sophomore class to be is low on numbers and the Junior class to be lost as Freshman 50 something to 20 something vs Div IV power Clinton Massie. Yes, I know it was as freshman and the CM class was extremely good but still, almost 4 td difference to a Div IV school.
* The concern regarding concussions definitely affects the numbers for football in UA
* New coach will have to understand/break the dynamics of the 'South of Lane' mentality. It definitely seems to be a thing in UA.
* New coach may not get to work with the players much, if at all this summer due to the coronavirus. He may not see his new players/team until August.

Since UA's 2000 State Title Team, the Golden Bears record is an above average/respectable 124-77 (61.69%).
* 39 of those victories (31.45%) are vs teams that finished above 500.
* 43 of these victories (34.68%) are vs traditionally weak opponents Westland, Grove City Central Crossing, Newark and Thomas Worthington
* 7 playoff appearances in the last 20 years (that's pretty good)
* Playoff Record of 4-7 (36.36%). Playoff wins are vs Westland, Marysville, Troy & Pickerington Central (probably UA's biggest victory in the last 20 years).

Simply put, UA hasn't been UA for 20 years. I'm sure the players will respond, they did last year. Will the parents/administration/people within the community allow the coach to do what he feels he needs to do and then support him - I think that is the bigger question. Sometimes UA can have too many cooks in the kitchen. Lets just hope we are playing football come August and good luck to UA.

UA has great potential: History, funding and deep pockets $$$, a new High School is being built with new facilities & refurbished stadium. However, a lot of things will be difficult to overcome for the new coach (who I am sure is an excellent coach):
* This will be their 4th coach in as many years
* I believe their Sophomore class to be is low on numbers and the Junior class to be lost as Freshman 50 something to 20 something vs Div IV power Clinton Massie. Yes, I know it was as freshman and the CM class was extremely good but still, almost 4 td difference to a Div IV school.
* The concern regarding concussions definitely affects the numbers for football in UA
* New coach will have to understand/break the dynamics of the 'South of Lane' mentality. It definitely seems to be a thing in UA.
* New coach may not get to work with the players much, if at all this summer due to the coronavirus. He may not see his new players/team until August.

Since UA's 2000 State Title Team, the Golden Bears record is an above average/respectable 124-77 (61.69%).
* 39 of those victories (31.45%) are vs teams that finished above 500.
* 43 of these victories (34.68%) are vs traditionally weak opponents Westland, Grove City Central Crossing, Newark and Thomas Worthington
* 7 playoff appearances in the last 20 years (that's pretty good)
* Playoff Record of 4-7 (36.36%). Playoff wins are vs Westland, Marysville, Troy & Pickerington Central (probably UA's biggest victory in the last 20 years).

Simply put, UA hasn't been UA for 20 years. I'm sure the players will respond, they did last year. Will the parents/administration/people within the community allow the coach to do what he feels he needs to do and then support him - I think that is the bigger question. Sometimes UA can have too many cooks in the kitchen. Lets just hope we are playing football come August and good luck to UA.

Excellent post , you did some good research . The only thing I would be wary of is putting too much stock in a Frosh game margin { even to a smaller school , they were probably really jacked up playing a larger school } to judge potential as varsity players. Too many examples of schools crushing opponents as Frosh , then a the Varsity level its a different story . One great example I have is in 2013 . As frosh UA beat Coffman and Davidson by 35-40 points at the Frosh level . That same group lost to Coffman and Davidson as Seniors . At the MS level and Frosh level what you see sometimes is a more mature bigger group being able to execute a few things very well and the other team can't stop it and gets demoralized . Physical advantages dissipate over time, sometimes one team is just rife with earlier developers and they dominate . A few years alter the gap diminishes and the other kids catch up a bit . Yes losing to a lower division Frosh squad by that much while disconcerting , isn't defining or really a great predictor of what a good program's Frosh players will be a few years later . Marysville is a great example to name just one , in both girls and boys sports, if middle school success and Frosh success was a accurate barometer of Varsity success ? They would have multiple runs in a few different sports .

There is an *opinion* that the UA community often does not breed the most competitive cultures with their sports unlike Dublin, Hilliard and Olentangy and part of this is a product of being an affluent one-school district.

Got a question to ask you all: between UA and Gahanna, what school has achieved more in the past 5-10-15 years? Are both schools underachievers in football? Who has the better prospect of achieving immediate success, however defined? Compare the expectations? This is a question for everyone. I wish Lambeau Fields was still around here!

There is an *opinion* that the UA community often does not breed the most competitive cultures with their sports unlike Dublin, Hilliard and Olentangy and part of this is a product of being an affluent one-school district.

Got a question to ask you all: between UA and Gahanna, what school has achieved more in the past 5-10-15 years? Are both schools underachievers in football? Who has the better prospect of achieving immediate success, however defined? Compare the expectations? This is a question for everyone. I wish Lambeau Fields was still around here!

Yes Dock no question Lambeau had a great perspective and was better at breaking this type of inquiry down than anyone . Great questions , love these type of discussions . In the Central Ohio landscape the single high school district at the D-1 level is rare . Gahanna and UA are different enough to make it a very interesting deeper dive . I have some thoughts that I need some time to digest . Lambeau surely would be the man to go to for his thoughts no doubt , miss his input.

Yes Dock no question Lambeau had a great perspective and was better at breaking this type of inquiry down than anyone . Great questions , love these type of discussions . In the Central Ohio landscape the single high school district at the D-1 level is rare . Gahanna and UA are different enough to make it a very interesting deeper dive . I have some thoughts that I need some time to digest . Lambeau surely would be the man to go to for his thoughts no doubt , miss his input.
Is Lambeau still with us on this material Earth? Do you know? Thought that you may actually know him personally. Same for Walking Boss from Ye Olde JJHuddle.

Is Lambeau still with us on this material Earth? Do you know? Thought that you may actually know him personally. Same for Walking Boss from Ye Olde JJHuddle.
No I don't know either personally . But those guys are legends with great contributions in both spaces here. Even at times of deep disagreement and ego based pizzing contests I had a lot of respect for their intellect, knowledge and perspective . Miss the Huddle and all the guys there . I know some are still somewhat present here but it 's not the same. The hey day of the huddle was special in Central Ohio.

Basketball players leave to go to Newark, others leave for Newark Catholic- many more departures on the girls side, but the boys have experienced the same to a lesser extent. Perhaps the new AD will use his Westerville ties to bring in some coaches, but collectively, the athletic picture looks a bit hazy at best. Great move by Buttermore, he was well received in a community that doesn’t tend to welcome “outsiders” with open arms.
Really? lots of boys leaving Granville to play elsewhere? Are you sure about that?

No I don't know either personally . But those guys are legends with great contributions in both spaces here. Even at times of deep disagreement and ego based pizzing contests I had a lot of respect for their intellect, knowledge and perspective . Miss the Huddle and all the guys there . I know some are still somewhat present here but it 's not the same. The hey day of the huddle was special in Central Ohio.
For sure, brother. Now I’m stuck here with you. Great.

The Huddle was way past it’s hey day in the final seasons, but my corner of Central Ohio was actually still very active and there was great discussion on our league page. Lots of great posters. Then JJ chose to pull the plug on it in the early summer when most people weren’t on and there wasn’t enough time to get a migration effort going. I miss them!

Great Hire for UA...Coach B will do a great job at UA. I would look for Granville to hire from within. jmo

Not a expert on either, but UA has probably Won more Team and Individual State Titles than any School n Central, Ohio and in Top 5 overall. This includes Girls / Boys. Plus they do have that State FB D1 Title under their belts which puts them in very rare company and if not mistaken was the 1st D1 School to achieve that in the current Playoff Format from Central, Ohio.
I'm sure any UA alum would proudly put their overall Trophy case up against any and all comers.
I would think regarding Football going back to the late 60's early 70's UA still has the richest FB history of any big school in the current OCC. And they have a AD who has climbed that mountain himself.
A Team with a Past is a Team with a Future. ( Forest Sharrock )
Meaning to achieve that State Title you need that past success and foundation.
U.A has all that . Gahanna not so much.