The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Some highly interesting, albeit highly unlikely proposals from Scott Boras to play the full 162 game schedule:

I don't hate it, but playoff games should only be played at neutral sites unless absolutely necessary. Say if Milwaukee makes the World Series, they should not be forced to play every game in LA because they play in a dome. But if MLB can manage to get a 120 game schedule in that would be so awesome.

Some highly interesting, albeit highly unlikely proposals from Scott Boras to play the full 162 game schedule. I don't hate it

facinating idea from Boros, BTW, why in the heck would anyone listen to his proposal?? He has as much juice for deciding baseball's future as Donald Trump??
Anyway, his interest is soley in keeping the players money and TV contracts paid in full, nothing else. Baseball is already going to lose some money in this, it's just how much. You certainly can keep the TV contracts, local and national in line, but I simply can't imagine neutral site playoff games where the local fans can't go to the games. Also remember that you'd be going with pennant races and playoffs head to head against football, college and pro. So Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday would be bad days to schedule baseball games. What if you have a Minnesota Twins vs. Colorado Rockies world series were the games would be played in Florida and Arizona? No one would go and not many would watch.

Maybe the real young guys, most have big houses with their own facilities to work out. Most have a personal trainer or someone who works out with them, catching pitchers and throwing BP. This isn't the 1950's.

Most don't have their own facilities. They may have a home personal gym but not enough to adequately get game ready. Not like they have their own cages like some used to. There's places to train all over the place, no need for them to. Unfortunately, they're now closed. Pitchers often use college or HS facilities as well as their catchers for work. No access to those now.

Owe and those personal trainers....here in Ohio, they can't work with clients according to Governor DeWine's Order. I know you think you know what you're talking about on this page but you're proven wrong on a consistent basis. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. But your posts and expertise always give me a good laugh. And I need that with baseball not starting tomorrow.

facinating idea from Boros, BTW, why in the heck would anyone listen to his proposal?? He has as much juice for deciding baseball's future as Donald Trump??

Boras is the biggest player agent in the history of sports. When he talks people listen. And it's just a proposal anyway, he's just throwing ideas out there.
Anyway, his interest is soley in keeping the players money and TV contracts paid in full, nothing else. Baseball is already going to lose some money in this, it's just how much. You certainly can keep the TV contracts, local and national in line, but I simply can't imagine neutral site playoff games where the local fans can't go to the games. Also remember that you'd be going with pennant races and playoffs head to head against football, college and pro. So Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday would be bad days to schedule baseball games. What if you have a Minnesota Twins vs. Colorado Rockies world series were the games would be played in Florida and Arizona? No one would go and not many would watch.
Playoff TV scheduling will not be a problem because:
a) TBS does not hold rights to any other sports league, so they can show MLB basically whenever they want
b) FOX will always show baseball over college football
c) FOX can show NFL afternoon games, then playoff games at 8pm, because they've been doing that for years
d) The only college football happening in December is bowl games, and those are mostly on ESPN

The biggest obstacle in Boras' proposal is all the doubleheaders. Don't think players would agree to that but who knows.

This is a much dumber idea imo. Play the whole nine innings, this isn't college baseball. Don't cheapen the game

Seven innings has long been thrown out as a way to grow the game. I'm not against trying them over the weekends. Maybe Fri, Sat DH, Sun afternoon and travel.

No matter what this year is going to have an asterisk...if they're some things that are truly being passed around (Owners, MLB and MLBPA) then why not try them this year. If it's not going to jeopardize the players safety then why not? And I'm not saying make it a mockery or play in cutoff sleeves all season. But this is a chance for baseball to really make a push for new fans. People are feigning for sports right now. Give them something that makes them want to watch again. Us who have followed the game for years will continue to do so.

Maybe the real young guys, most have big houses with their own facilities to work out. Most have a personal trainer or someone who works out with them, catching pitchers and throwing BP. This isn't the 1950's.
Define "most". To me it means 51% or more. I'm telling you that no more than 10-15% of MLB guys have huge houses with home gyms and batting cages in the basement or garage. "Most" of the players are young guys with below average MLB paychecks and don;t have the facilities that you think.

Define "most". To me it means 51% or more. I'm telling you that no more than 10-15% of MLB guys have huge houses with home gyms and batting cages in the basement or garage. "Most" of the players are young guys with below average MLB paychecks and don;t have the facilities that you think.
But I bet MOST have people who work with them on their baseball stuff. And MOST have some kind of facility they can use, even a high school/ college field/ facility.

Boras is the biggest player agent in the history of sports. When he talks people listen. And it's just a proposal anyway, he's just throwing ideas out there.

Playoff TV scheduling will not be a problem because:
a) TBS does not hold rights to any other sports league, so they can show MLB basically whenever they want
b) FOX will always show baseball over college football
c) FOX can show NFL afternoon games, then playoff games at 8pm, because they've been doing that for years
d) The only college football happening in December is bowl games, and those are mostly on ESPN

The biggest obstacle in Boras' proposal is all the doubleheaders. Don't think players would agree to that but who knows.
Yes, it's only a proposal and means absolutely nothing. TBS and FOX certainly CAN show baseball over college football, but few will watch. A saving grace for baseball would be a Dodger Yankee world series.

Yes, it's only a proposal and means absolutely nothing. TBS and FOX certainly CAN show baseball over college football, but few will watch. A saving grace for baseball would be a Dodger Yankee world series.
Nationals/Asstros was the least watched WS ever and still averaged 12 million viewers

Last edited:
But I bet MOST have people who work with them on their baseball stuff. And MOST have some kind of facility they can use, even a high school/ college field/ facility.

ALL have access to trainers and facilities in normal times. The problem is they're closed. And the majority of HS/College campuses are also forbidding players from training on their fields.

Those facilities are all closed. So you are now flip-flopping and saying "most" are unable to work out/practice baseball skills. Thanks for proving yourself wrong.

14red thinks the players are having mini spring trainings all over the place. Lol.
eastside purple thinks players are locked in a 6x6 room eating doritos and drinking beer. These are PROFESSIONAL athletes, expecially the ones who are not proven yet are grinding everyday to stay in shape. This may be their only opportunity to make a team.

eastside purple thinks players are locked in a 6x6 room eating doritos and drinking beer. These are PROFESSIONAL athletes, expecially the ones who are not proven yet are grinding everyday to stay in shape. This may be their only opportunity to make a team.
I don’t think that at all. You made that up. Lol.

I don’t think they have access to the type of baseball specific training they need to be ready for the season.

I don’t think that at all. You made that up. Lol.

I don’t think they have access to the type of baseball specific training they need to be ready for the season.
They have more than you think, and that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. If you think these guys are sitting around gaining 5 pounds a day doing nothing, then I can't have a conversation with you. You take the furthest outlier in an argument and use is as the baseline. Professional athletes in 2020, are year around athletes. They do not "get ready" for their seasons like they did in the 1950's. Yes, they may not have pristine facilities to workout in, but they have a glove, balls and bats and people who can work with them. I'd guess most have some kind of weights in their homes or access to them somehow.

If the season is cancelled do the players get paid? Does this count as a "year" on their contract? Like zeeman alluded to, do we lose Bauer?

If the season is cancelled do the players get paid? Does this count as a "year" on their contract? Like zeeman alluded to, do we lose Bauer?
Interesting times, I would say they would have to be paid or maybe prorated as this is no fault of their own. As far as contract years, I would think they would continue as if nothing happened, no way someone like Bauer is going to give up a year on a raise. It’s a yuge chit sandwich and we all gotta take a bite. See ya in 2021, curse of Cincy sports strikes again

My son in law is a minor leaguer drafted out of college. He most definitely does not have the facilities you speak of nor does he have access to them at this time due to social distancing restrictions. He's just waiting like everyone else. He's doing things old school like throwing baseballs against a backstop and hitting off a tee into the backstop.

Interesting times, I would say they would have to be paid or maybe prorated as this is no fault of their own. As far as contract years, I would think they would continue as if nothing happened, no way someone like Bauer is going to give up a year on a raise. It’s a yuge chit sandwich and we all gotta take a bite. See ya in 2021, curse of Cincy sports strikes again
Lets say you are a player, last yr on a deal but likely wont sign a bigger contract. I would be arguing to get paid for this year or i dont lose a year on my contract

Lets say you are a player, last yr on a deal but likely wont sign a bigger contract. I would be arguing to get paid for this year or i dont lose a year on my contract
Hard to get paid if the teams aren't taking in revenue. Definitely uncharted territory for all parties involved.

BTW my son in law says they are not being paid.

Hard to get paid if the teams aren't taking in revenue. Definitely uncharted territory for all parties involved.

BTW my son in law says they are not being paid.
That’s a shame for you son in law, what line of work is he in?

They have more than you think, and that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. If you think these guys are sitting around gaining 5 pounds a day doing nothing, then I can't have a conversation with you. You take the furthest outlier in an argument and use is as the baseline. Professional athletes in 2020, are year around athletes. They do not "get ready" for their seasons like they did in the 1950's. Yes, they may not have pristine facilities to workout in, but they have a glove, balls and bats and people who can work with them. I'd guess most have some kind of weights in their homes or access to them somehow.

Good thing for you is that many players are video tapping their workouts and posting them on Instagram. Haven't really seen anyone doing baseball activities. A lot of yoga and bodyweight exercises. The only guy I've really seen throwing is Hunter Greene who would fall under the rehab category. I'll give it to you, even though your opinion is always wrong you stick with it