OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday (Noon)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday
Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass will meet with the media and a live online audience at noon; press conference limited to 30 media members

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association will host a press conference at noon Thursday (March 19) at the OHSAA office, Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass has announced.

The press conference will be limited to 30 media members to comply with the directive from the Centers for Disease Control that no more than 50 people be together in the same room. Media must request and be approved for a seat at the press conference via email from Tim Stried at the OHSAA.

The press conference will be streamed live through OHSAA.tv and the OHSAA’s social media platforms (@OHSAASports on Twitter and Facebook).

Snodgrass will provide updates and information on the OHSAA’s winter tournaments that were postponed indefinitely last Thursday, along with updates on spring sports. He will also take questions from media.

OHSAA member schools are encouraged to watch the press conference, as Snodgrass will respond to some of the frequently asked questions from the past several days. His memo to member schools last Friday is posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-winter-and-spring-sports-update

game over .... darn shame too ... Sr’s last chance or only chance to hit the podium . How many young men miss out on multiple state championship opportunities. I’m not sure this year if anyone was going for 4 time or 3rd . The one that sticks out to me is sophomore shumate from Dublin Coffman . He was a legitimate kid that would of been going for 4 time in few years .

game over .... darn shame too ... Sr’s last chance or only chance to hit the podium . How many young men miss out on multiple state championship opportunities. I’m not sure this year if anyone was going for 4 time or 3rd . The one that sticks out to me is sophomore shumate from Dublin Coffman . He was a legitimate kid that would of been going for 4 time in few years .
All state qualifiers would have to be considered all state at that point. They reached the highest level they could.

My money is on both winter and spring being cancelled.

Ohio State and Ohio Univ have postponed graduation ceremonies.

Last edited:
So are the schools (grade, jr. High, high, and college) just gonna push kids to the next grade with passing grades?

Well, the schools here are going to all virtual classroom type situation and so is my oldest's college. I imagine the plan is to get them to earn enough credit or whatever to move to the next grade. Obviously, this wouldn't be uniform across all school districts as not all have chromebooks/iPads, etc. to be able to do this.

I think it will be one more "watchful waiting" period before they cancel everything. They have to give the kids a bit more hope.

• Winter Sports - Still on indefinite postponement
  • Extending tournaments problematic
  • Cancelling Winter tournaments is on the table
  • Tentative schedule for Spring sports: still on but could change if DeWine extends closing of schools
  • Cancelling Spring sports is on the table
  • If cancellation is required, likely all Winter sports would cancel at the same time. Probably not cancel one Winter sport and play another.
  • No extra year of eligibility - this was a question brought up by one of the reporters questions.
  • Working on eligibility for resumption of school due to closures possibly making athletes ineligible
  • No authority over travel teams. Worried about kids moving to their travel teams.
  • If Spring sports do not happen, what will happen with grades eligibility? Might make every kid eligible.
  • Financial impact on OHSAA. Huge impact and working on how bad it is. Lose 1.4-1.5 million in revenues from Winter Sports out of 19 million overall budget. 80% of OHSAA revenue from ticket sales.
  • Thinking creatively to keep the possibility of a season alive.
  • Decision on Winter sports coming in the next 24-48 hours
  • Would they announce a poll champion or a year without champions? Not sure yet. Not likely to have multiple champs.
  • Spring sports still has room to get the season in even with more school time closed. Could move tournaments later in June. Site availability an issue.
  • Winter sports not likely to be played in mid May. Strongly doubts it.
  • OHSAA has not discussed the Fall yet but realize how rapidly this is moving

• Financial impact on OHSAA. Huge impact and working on how bad it is. Lose 1.4-1.5 million in revenues from Winter Sports out of 19 million overall budget. 80% of OHSAA revenue from ticket sales.
  • Thinking creatively to keep the possibility of a season alive.
  • Decision on Winter sports coming in the next 24-48 hours
  • Would they announce a poll champion or a year without champions? Not sure yet. Not likely to have multiple champs.
  • Spring sports still has room to get the season in even with more school time closed. Could move tournaments later in June. Site availability an issue.
  • Winter sports not likely to be played in mid May. Strongly doubts it.
  • OHSAA has not discussed the Fall yet but realize how rapidly this is moving
Maybe this explains why OHSAA initially was going to have the tournament with limited attendance and then changed their mind? I mean Fargo is top notch in an empty venue right? I wonder what the difference in monetary losses would have been between holding a restricted attendance event as opposed to flat out cancelling it?

Maybe this explains why OHSAA initially was going to have the tournament with limited attendance and then changed their mind? I mean Fargo is top notch in an empty venue right? I wonder what the difference in monetary losses would have been between holding a restricted attendance event as opposed to flat out cancelling it?
The limited attendance would have kept the event from losing a ton of money. 672 athletes x 4 + 300 coaches(+2) x 3 = 3588. That is far less than the normal attendance however due to the special circumstance they were going to sell all session passes only rather than individual session passes, which would have increased the total collected on average per attendee (most attendees go home when their kids go out). For the finals they would have sold 3588 tickets but only a fraction of that would have been in attendance...probably 500 give or take.

I understood from a fairly reliable source that it was tOSU that cancelled the event. Essentially, because the campus was being closed they said the venues were not available to be used for events. As a result OHSAA had no choice but to postpone. I think they would still like to complete the events because they are losing close to 2M by cancelling them all and would lose even more if they cancel the spring sports. However, the spring sports generate a fraction of the revenue compared to the winter sports. Believe it or not wrestling typically generates more than basketball in the state tournament. Last year the basketball state championship attendance was 9,881 while wrestling session 5 was 12,195. Total attendance for all sessions of wrestling was 54,797. That is a lot of revenue.

It will come down to whether or not they can find a venue and tOSU isn't likely to budge given that they have sent all students home for the remainder of the school year - the campus is essentially closed for another 7+ weeks. That puts us into May. They may try to find another venue. They used the Nutter Center in the 90s. Hard to say if a venue will make itself available.