Which schools might have a problem fielding a team this year?

Hl2vtr1

Schools I am hearing are Southington Chalker, Sebring McKinley, ans Ashtabula St. Johns. Please tell me I am wrong. Any other schools out there?

I can imagine some smaller schools, namely private schools, are going to have trouble with enrollment if the economy looks bleak by the time the cutoff is.

Public schools may face an unprecedented decline in tax revenue if property values plummet in the near term. But that's probably more an issue for 2021 and beyond if a recession lasts a few years before an uptick.

Schools I am hearing are Southington Chalker, Sebring McKinley, ans Ashtabula St. Johns. Please tell me I am wrong. Any other schools out there?

Are you sure about Sebring? They had a decent uptick in numbers last year and supposedly had enough interest to restart their junior high program for this year.

...All of them. When the economic collapse follows on the heals of the governments reaction to virus, nothing will be the same. Everything is at risk...Yes, even sports Vamps...

Are you sure about Sebring? They had a decent uptick in numbers last year and supposedly had enough interest to restart their junior high program for this year.
12 Seniors on the team is hard to replace in numbers. I have to assume you would know better.

Lets be honest with ourselves here though. Sandusky Saint Mary should probably join that northern 8 league.

Absolutely...it's not even a question. And from what I hear Fremont St. Joseph isn't far behind. Tiffin Calvert and St. Paul are the only ones with strong football numbers and Calvert is down to top 5 as far as smallest schools in Ohio to have football.

12 Seniors on the team is hard to replace in numbers. I have to assume you would know better.

I honestly have no idea and was curious if you had heard something. It just seems like this new coach was able to get some energy and turnout last year, might have just been a 1 year blip though.

I would keep an eye on Grandview Hts. Their middle school played 8 man last year and they lose a 7 or 8 seniors from a roster of 32 last year.

just curious how does Grandview have such poor numbers but a solid amount of talent??
It goes in waves just like other schools. 5 years ago Grandview Hts made it to the State Semi-Finals and were fortunate to have a strong freshmen group (current seniors) come in the next year. Grandview Hts has very successful soccer program and kids are opting for soccer over football. Grandview Hts could be competitive in the Mid State League Cardinal with small numbers but playing Whitehall, Columbus Academy, Bexley, Columbus Ready causes issues with backups and when injuries come into play. #1's can compete but then experience and talent drop offs when replacements come into games.
In 2018 in game 10 Grandview loses its running back to a separated shoulder- goes into playoff game and loses by 3 in 1st round of playoff. Grandview also had lost a key defensive player to injury early in playoff game. If you do not have great back up to replace it hurts.
In 2019 playoff game at Paint Valley, Grandview Hts again had running back injuried during game and lost its 2nd string QB to injury but were fortunate to have Lachey step up and be a beast to beat PV. But round 2 of playoffs the injuries competely make Grandview unable to compete with Mechanicsburg. Grandview Hts had already lost it starting QB during game 5 of the regular season and 2nd string QB completed the regular season as the starter.
Depth is so important in football.

It goes in waves just like other schools. 5 years ago Grandview Hts made it to the State Semi-Finals and were fortunate to have a strong freshmen group (current seniors) come in the next year. Grandview Hts has very successful soccer program and kids are opting for soccer over football. Grandview Hts could be competitive in the Mid State League Cardinal with small numbers but playing Whitehall, Columbus Academy, Bexley, Columbus Ready causes issues with backups and when injuries come into play. #1's can compete but then experience and talent drop offs when replacements come into games.
In 2018 in game 10 Grandview loses its running back to a separated shoulder- goes into playoff game and loses by 3 in 1st round of playoff. Grandview also had lost a key defensive player to injury early in playoff game. If you do not have great back up to replace it hurts.
In 2019 playoff game at Paint Valley, Grandview Hts again had running back injuried during game and lost its 2nd string QB to injury but were fortunate to have Lachey step up and be a beast to beat PV. But round 2 of playoffs the injuries competely make Grandview unable to compete with Mechanicsburg. Grandview Hts had already lost it starting QB during game 5 of the regular season and 2nd string QB completed the regular season as the starter.
Depth is so important in football.
great rundown! didn’t know the situation at GH. been there and very nice community, makes some sense that some kids are opting to play soccer. too bad. the football tradition they have there is one of the best in central Ohio. i did manage to see them vs Mechanicsburg- were totally outmatched

Grandview, Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff are all areas experiencing their own variant influxes of double income, no kids (“DINK”), yuppies and older homebuyers/renters at rates that supposedly are out-pacing those of families with high school aged kids. I still don’t completely buy the “we (should have) be(en) in the MSL-Cardinal” claim, although I’ve warmed up to it recently.

I'd keep Bradford on this list until further notice.
Rightfully so.... and Mississinawa Valley is another team that has struggled with numbers in the last 5 years. I actually think both programs are trending in the right direction and I don't expect to hear the issues with numbers for either one of those teams this year.

Rightfully so.... and Mississinawa Valley is another team that has struggled with numbers in the last 5 years. I actually think both programs are trending in the right direction and I don't expect to hear the issues with numbers for either one of those teams this year.
I'd like to see Mississinawa get at least 30 kids out this year. Made the playoffs last year so hopefully that got some kids excited to come out and play.

I'd like to see Mississinawa get at least 30 kids out this year. Made the playoffs last year so hopefully that got some kids excited to come out and play.
I agree. I do believe Miss Valley lost a good Senior class, but things are moving in the right direction. After seeing this post today I went and looked at Miss Valley's and Bradfords rosters from this past season. Miss Valley has 16 returners, so with the 8th graders coming in and maybe some increased interest in the school, I don't think 30 kids is out of the question. For Bradford, it will be a little tougher. I'm not sure the last time they've won a game, so the interest is low I'm sure. They have 11 players returning plus the incoming 8th graders. I did think they were more competitive last year, and they have a coach that is sticking around for multiple years, maybe he can get kids out.

I agree. I do believe Miss Valley lost a good Senior class, but things are moving in the right direction. After seeing this post today I went and looked at Miss Valley's and Bradfords rosters from this past season. Miss Valley has 16 returners, so with the 8th graders coming in and maybe some increased interest in the school, I don't think 30 kids is out of the question. For Bradford, it will be a little tougher. I'm not sure the last time they've won a game, so the interest is low I'm sure. They have 11 players returning plus the incoming 8th graders. I did think they were more competitive last year, and they have a coach that is sticking around for multiple years, maybe he can get kids out.
With Bradford being as small as New Knoxville now, I think it's time they go 8 man until the numbers come back up. I hope their coach can draw up some interest.

Last edited:
With Bradford being as small as New Knoxville now, I think it's time they go 8 man until the numbers come back up. I hope their coach can draw up some interest.
I think the coach they have now will bring in some interest. As for going to 8 man, I don't think that's something they want to do. As part of the CCC breaking up and Bradford joining the WOAC, I believe there were meetings strictly to discuss the state of the Bradford football program, and there was some sort of a reassurance from Bradford that they would be able to continue to have a football team.

last year should’ve been encouraging for the railroaders. the coach seems like a guy that can build a program. forget about X’s and O’s, it starts with building interest