College Scholarships available for those who achieve All-State

wlpdrpat

This is a quote from the following website where I found dozens of scholarships that include as a criteria All-State or All-American achievement.

Merit scholarships are often related to academic performance, but can also be given to a candidate displaying artistic or athletic excellence, or even a combination of both. It is safe to say that, while all academic scholarships are merit scholarships, not all merit scholarships are academic scholarships. You have a chance at winning scholarships in this category if you are a generally strong student or in your area of study, and there are greater opportunities that come from extracurricular involvement.

There are more than a dozen scholarships on that one website that are only available to students that have All-State achievement or above. There are many other websites where other scholarships can be found which similarly require All-State achievement.

Fortunately, not all scholarships have All-State achievement as a requirement. There is a ton of money available to help students get through college with as little debt as possible. You just have to be willing to go apply for it.

I hope that all the wrestlers from Ohio get all the scholarship money they need to go to college. Please remember that there are many types of scholarships...not just athletic. Please don't anticipate that you will get a full ride scholarship for athletics no matter how great you may be. In D1 wrestling there are 9.9 athletic scholarships for a team of 33. You can start building your scholarship portfolio for college as a Freshman in high school. As they say, "the early bird gets the worm." or possibly more relevant today, "the early shopper gets the toilet paper."

Wishing everyone in the wrestling community a fantastic #coronafest

Be safe and Be well.

When Ohio wrestling athletes fill out there paperwork for a college scholarship that ask to be a All-Ohio athlete then they should explain that because of the Corona Virus they was unable to complete and earn a shot at All-Ohio status. Most people awarding the scholarship would understand and waive that criteria for that student athlete if he met all other requirements.
Most wrestlers and wrestling parents I talked to about this don’t want awarded something they didn’t earn. They don’t care about being all-state from district results that could have change the very next week. Some districts weight classes are so weak 1-4 placer would go 0-2 while other districts had 5/6 kids in top 10 in rankings and all 4 would of been top 8. They don’t want all-state awards based off some persons polls. What most of these wrestlers want is to complete like warriors and earn their spots on the podium and if they can’t compete because a freak circumstance then just call them what they all are state qualifiers and leave it be.
I’m sure colleges and the people awarding a scholarship will understand.

When Ohio wrestling athletes fill out there paperwork for a college scholarship that ask to be a All-Ohio athlete then they should explain that because of the Corona Virus they was unable to complete and earn a shot at All-Ohio status. Most people awarding the scholarship would understand and waive that criteria for that student athlete if he met all other requirements.
Most wrestlers and wrestling parents I talked to about this don’t want awarded something they didn’t earn. They don’t care about being all-state from district results that could have change the very next week. Some districts weight classes are so weak 1-4 placer would go 0-2 while other districts had 5/6 kids in top 10 in rankings and all 4 would of been top 8. They don’t want all-state awards based off some persons polls. What most of these wrestlers want is to complete like warriors and earn their spots on the podium and if they can’t compete because a freak circumstance then just call them what they all are state qualifiers and leave it be.
You have a strong opinion how every wrestler feels. How did you arrive at this conclusion? Did other states complete their championships? Tell me how the college recruiting process works. I know for a fact many college wrestling recruiters attend the State Tournament. Does this help Ohio kids? Based upon your thought process it doesn't matter. No one earned anything other than district accomplishments. Yes, you are correct. But, do you think the lack of exposure won't hurt some wrestlers? There is a small vision and a grand vision. How many d2 and d3 have big wrestling budgets? Every little accolade helps. My 2 cents

The scholarships mentioned are not awarded by the schools. Many D1, D2 and D3 athletes that don't receive federal grants/aid are able to use these scholarships to bridge the gap between what their schools can provide and what their family can afford. This helps the athletes/families to reduce student loan debt when they graduate.

When you are competing for a merit scholarship with hundreds of students from across the country they start to reduce the field of applicants by looking for reasons to disqualify them, e.g. they don't meet all the criteria. After the initial screening of the applications to ensure they meet all of the requirements then the applications are ordered based on the qualifying criteria and the top ones are selected to receive the scholarships.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that a heart felt letter explaining how the coronavirus prevented them from attaining All-State will carry much weight with the selection committee for most merit scholarships.

It is unfortunate that the state of Ohio will very likely be the only state in 2020 that didn't have a state wrestling tournament to provide the All-State achievement for athletics to those athletes. I am still hopeful that the coaches and OHSAA will see the importance of providing the awards for the athletes. I have written several letters on behalf of the athletes to the people that may be in a position to influence that decision.

The good news, if we are able to get the athletes an All-State award, if an athlete receives the award and feels like they didn't earn it they are able to throw it in the trash or use it as toilet paper. The handful of athletes that use the award and qualify for additional scholarship money is more than enough satisfaction for the effort.

You have a strong opinion how every wrestler feels. How did you arrive at this conclusion? Did other states complete their championships? Tell me how the college recruiting process works. I know for a fact many college wrestling recruiters attend the State Tournament. Does this help Ohio kids? Based upon your thought process it doesn't matter. No one earned anything other than district accomplishments. Yes, you are correct. But, do you think the lack of exposure won't hurt some wrestlers? There is a small vision and a grand vision. How many d2 and d3 have big wrestling budgets? Every little accolade helps. My 2 cents

Well let’s start here I believe I said most wrestlers and parents I talked too. I don’t recall saying every wrestler. Most states had their tournament and a few states where cancelled.
What do you want to know about the college recruiting process. I have went on more unofficial and official visits then most people on yappi with my oldest son and I will be starting the process again with my youngest son. I have been on roughly 12 official visits with my oldest and your only allowed 5. I have been to 20+ unofficial visits with him. Recruiting takes a toll on kids and parents and going through the process 3x with one kid becomes frustrating, stressful and wears on you. I know for fact all 30+ colleges I visit had track and flo accounts. I would bet all college coaches have track and Flo yearly accounts so they can go and watch most events covered by them.
Yes a lot of college coaches show up to watch the Ohio state tournament as Ohio is one of top wrestling states in country.
Will lack of state tournament exposure hurt some kids, yes it will hurt the smaller and bigger schools that avoid the tougher events during the season. But if your son’s on one of them teams there is ways for you to show him off still to find wrestling scholarship. Can still do freestyle, Fargo, and can also do college & high school prospect camps to get your exposure.
I don’t recall college coaches asking about my sons wrestling accolades but I do remember everyone asking about his grades, what’s he posting and liking on social media, asking about his character, work ethic, trying to find out is he a leader or follower, and is he coachable are some of the things they cared about over his wrestling accolades.
My sons are lucky to have great coaches who have our kids complete yearly at national events and do a great job promoting them to D1,2,3 colleges.
But if there is any question I can help anyone with the recruiting process just shoot me a message and I do my best to answer your question.

What is all-state defined as? I've usually considered a state qualifier as all state. If someone receives an academic all-state, it is when they have qualifier for state and not only if they have placed.

Basketball gave out 10 spots for their First Team All-Ohio (per division) along with just as many (if not more) selections for a 2nd Team, Honorable Mention and Special Mention.

Roughly 50 basketball players per division were named, "All-State"

So yes, all 14 wrestlers per weight class per division are already considered, All-State.

I work as a college advisor at a HS and with these scholarships, they are simply looking to see if you reached the highest level of your sport's competition, i.e., the state-level event. You don't need Jerry or anyone at OHSAA to make this public because it is already common knowledge. You also don't need Jerry or anyone at OHSAA to set up any sort of seed/criteria meeting to determine who gets a medal. And with that, you certainly don't need another yappi topic to advocate the same thing. Just a few facts and my 2 cents. Happy quarantining!

Source: All-Ohio selections

Well let’s start here I believe I said most wrestlers and parents I talked too. I don’t recall saying every wrestler. Most states had their tournament and a few states where cancelled.
What do you want to know about the college recruiting process. I have went on more unofficial and official visits then most people on yappi with my oldest son and I will be starting the process again with my youngest son. I have been on roughly 12 official visits with my oldest and your only allowed 5. I have been to 20+ unofficial visits with him. Recruiting takes a toll on kids and parents and going through the process 3x with one kid becomes frustrating, stressful and wears on you. I know for fact all 30+ colleges I visit had track and flo accounts. I would bet all college coaches have track and Flo yearly accounts so they can go and watch most events covered by them.
Yes a lot of college coaches show up to watch the Ohio state tournament as Ohio is one of top wrestling states in country.
Will lack of state tournament exposure hurt some kids, yes it will hurt the smaller and bigger schools that avoid the tougher events during the season. But if your son’s on one of them teams there is ways for you to show him off still to find wrestling scholarship. Can still do freestyle, Fargo, and can also do college & high school prospect camps to get your exposure.
I don’t recall college coaches asking about my sons wrestling accolades but I do remember everyone asking about his grades, what’s he posting and liking on social media, asking about his character, work ethic, trying to find out is he a leader or follower, and is he coachable are some of the things they cared about over his wrestling accolades.
My sons are lucky to have great coaches who have our kids complete yearly at national events and do a great job promoting them to D1,2,3 colleges.
But if there is any question I can help anyone with the recruiting process just shoot me a message and I do my best to answer your question.
No questions on this end. I am guilty of keeping all of my sons recruiting letters. I haven't looked at them for a little while, but I hope he takes them to show his children someday. But, I don't even know if he will. Funny how I seem to enjoy his accomplishments more than he does. My son had that 4 point GPA with a nice ACT. He also had many accolades for academics and Sports. He was blessed to have many options. He graduated in four years from college and has a career that he loves. But, I don't believe that's the norm.

I'm in favor of giving out awards. I have listed my idea and I am aware it has competitor flaws. But, at this point anything Ohio can do to help a wrestler carry on his dream is good. IMO Just put an asterisk next to the awards. Spirited debate is good and people that disagree have a valid point. I just don't mind an asterisk next to any award.

What is all-state defined as? I've usually considered a state qualifier as all state. If someone receives an academic all-state, it is when they have qualifier for state and not only if they have placed.
Academic All-State is extended to all state qualifiers that meet the academic requirements. Wrestling All-State historically has always been given to all state placers. As such, Academic All-State for wrestling will very likely be handled in the same manner. Can't wait to hear what the OHSAA comes up with for Wrestling All-State awards. I'm confident that it will be very diplomatic.

Basketball gave out 10 spots for their First Team All-Ohio (per division) along with just as many (if not more) selections for a 2nd Team, Honorable Mention and Special Mention.

Roughly 50 basketball players per division were named, "All-State"

You missed 3rd team and player of the year.

It is important to note that each of those basketball players that were named as All-State will receive a certificate of achievement signed by Jerry and a few other signatories from OHSAA.

So yes, all 14 wrestlers per weight class per division are already considered, All-State.

I am happy to hear that you consider all 16 wrestlers in all 14 weight classes in all 3 divisions as All-State. However, your opinion, my opinion and anyone else's opinion here and $5.95 will get you a Venti Cappuccino at Starbucks. Until the wrestlers have a certificate in their hand with the signatories from the OHSAA they are not officially All-State recipients. Someone should also receive that "Wrestler of the Year" award but I'll save that for another day.

I work as a college advisor at a HS and with these scholarships, they are simply looking to see if you reached the highest level of your sport's competition, i.e., the state-level event. You don't need Jerry or anyone at OHSAA to make this public because it is already common knowledge. You also don't need Jerry or anyone at OHSAA to set up any sort of seed/criteria meeting to determine who gets a medal. And with that, you certainly don't need another yappi topic to advocate the same thing. Just a few facts and my 2 cents. Happy quarantining!

The scholarships that my sons applied for that required All-State or above achievements required a scanned copy of the certificate of achievement and anything less would have been a disqualifier. Of course, I am sure that there are scholarships that will just take your word for the fact that you achieved All-State but those aren't the ones that I am discussing.

As a high school college advisor I should be shocked that you are not advocating on behalf of the athletes given that they are the ones you are supposed to be helping find a way to make it possible to go to and afford college. You are in a position to understand the competitive nature of scholarships and that the better your application presents itself the more likely you are to win the scholarship monies.

I've already said it a number of times but you obviously didn't have an opportunity to read it. In my previous post about issuing All-State awards I did suggest that issuing the medals as part of the All-State award made more sense to me than throwing them in the garbage. I had no idea how emotionally attached so many people are to a small piece of medal. However, the more important element of that post was the fact that the athletes should still be issued All-State awards and the coaches or OHSAA should come up with some process to determine who receives them.

Imagine a high school college advisor that discourages freedom of speech in the name of advocating on behalf of student athletes. The next thing you will tell me is that I should support the National Popular Vote and repealing the 2nd amendment. You are entitled to your opinions as I am entitled to mine. The good news is that we don't have to agree. You can tell everyone that it will be OK without receiving the All-State certificate and I will continue to advocate on behalf of the student athletes receiving their All-State certificates. Strange, it feels like I'm doing your job!! Helping kids get all their certificates/awards prepared to complete applications for scholarships.

Fortunately, the last time I checked we still live in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I believe Snodgrass stated that wrestlers would receive their state qualifier certificate and a copy the state program if the state tournament is cancelled. Then your son will have his all state certificate to scan.

As a high school college advisor I should be shocked that you are not advocating on behalf of the athletes given that they are the ones you are supposed to be helping find a way to make it possible to go to and afford college. You are in a position to understand the competitive nature of scholarships and that the better your application presents itself the more likely you are to win the scholarship monies.

I'm surprised you're not shocked. :LOL:

wlpdrpat,
I thought I read In one of your post that your son had multiple athletic full ride offers.
What I was wondering and don’t understand if he had multiple full ride offers why is he still filling out scholarship applications for more money. Is he thinking about schools that he doesn’t have a full ride.

You seem to care about others getting scholarship money but to me if your son has a full ride and then wins extra scholarship money that he doesn’t need cause his tuition is paid for by his athletic scholarship that would be taking it away from other kids that need that money.

Now I get he could be considering a out of state college that’s offering only 50% and tuition is $60,000 so he has to come up with $30,000 and all the extra scholarship money helps make that college more affordable and now on table to consider since he gets more aid.
Now if that $60,000 college is paying for all his tuition and he is still applying for more scholarship money it seems like he taking money from others that may need it more.

wlpdrpat,
I thought I read In one of your post that your son had multiple athletic full ride offers.
What I was wondering and don’t understand if he had multiple full ride offers why is he still filling out scholarship applications for more money. Is he thinking about schools that he doesn’t have a full ride.

You seem to care about others getting scholarship money but to me if your son has a full ride and then wins extra scholarship money that he doesn’t need cause his tuition is paid for by his athletic scholarship that would be taking it away from other kids that need that money.

Now I get he could be considering a out of state college that’s offering only 50% and tuition is $60,000 so he has to come up with $30,000 and all the extra scholarship money helps make that college more affordable and now on table to consider since he gets more aid.
Now if that $60,000 college is paying for all his tuition and he is still applying for more scholarship money it seems like he taking money from others that may need it more.
We started applying for scholarships when my son was a Freshman because he has 4 older siblings that are all going through college. The oldest finished this year and my youngest starts in the fall. We knew ahead of time that to afford college he would need to earn a lot of scholarship money. We had no idea that he would become a great athlete and receive athletic scholarships. He received a total of $25K in merit scholarship awards from 5 different scholarships, however, all of them only pay up to $2K over the total cost of attendance (tuition + room and board). Given that he earned a full ride between academic and athletic scholarship from the school he will be attending we are declining $23K in scholarship awards. We were hoping that other wrestlers in Ohio could apply for those scholarships and get them. I provided the details to several student athletes that I was pretty sure would qualify and I also provided the link in the initial thread of this post for where to find the scholarships. A few of the student athletes that I thought would qualify are hoping to get an All-State award for wrestling to help them qualify, thus my interest. To be clear they are not family or close friends - just wrestling acquaintances.

The application process for each of the scholarships required achieving All-State or All-American status in more than one activity. For wrestlers I would assume if they received an All-State athletic award and an Academic All-State award that would qualify them.

I believe Snodgrass stated that wrestlers would receive their state qualifier certificate and a copy the state program if the state tournament is cancelled. Then your son will have his all state certificate to scan.
I have read the summary of the OHSAA announcement from Snodgrass and I watched it live. All he confirmed is that each state qualifier would receive a free copy of the state program. In his last announcement, he said further details about the winter sport state tournaments would be announced in 24-48hrs. The next day they announced that they will be working from home until April 6. Since then nothing.

Again - not worried about my son's certificate as he is all set. Just trying to ensure that the sport provides the All-State awards regardless of the state tournament proceeding.

Sadly, my personal dealings with various school counselors skews my expectations. Nothing against you personally but I have learned from experience not to depend on others to guide my path or my children's paths in life.

Just giving you grief.

Just giving you grief.
I tend to make myself an easy target. My Dad was a coach and he loved his affirmation/quotes that he said we should all live by, "if you're not willing to stand for something, then you will fall for anything." and "If you don't stand up for what is right, then you are part of the problem."

Those and hundreds of others were drilled into my head throughout my childhood. As an adult I have a hard time sitting quietly when I see an injustice. Just depends on where I am focusing my attention.