Will there be a season?

I'm not 100% sure but I dont think the ohsaa buys rings. I know in my day we had to get sponsors to donate money. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm right.
When my school won a state title a few years ago, the money for championship rings was raised via private donations. The OHSAA sure as heck didn't pay for any of them.

Absolute nonsense.
Taxman, get in today's world. You have no idea what I am talking about. Three D1 programs contacted the JUCO that my kids signed with and are/were interested in watching him pitch this spring pre virus/pre new eligibility rules. Pitchers get drafted and are still getting hurt at a very high rate (last I heard 40% of college pitchers have had/or will have Tommy John). Unexpected opportunities arise. I know a pitcher from Badin 2 years ago who signed with NKU the summer after he graduated from high school. I am really getting annoyed with your holier than thou, I know better than you attitude.

I apologize for being facetious regarding the OHSAA. They have not paid for championship rings as well.

I try not to be disrespectful when hiding behind a keyboard. You should try it.
Basewimparent, pay no attention to the idiots on here. Unfortunately theres a few, on the other hand there's some great people to. Learn to let things roll off your back. Welcome to the site.

So
Heck, the stupid OHSAA has caved so fully to football that they may as well just start football practices as soon as the Wuhan Corona scare subsides.
It will
I'm not 100% sure but I dont think the ohsaa buys rings. I know in my day we had to get sponsors to donate money. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm right.
I dont believe the OHSAA buys the rings. Trotwood Madison put up donation spots around their area for people to give money for rings for the players, coaches and cheerleaders (Yeah, serious).

As a multiple State Champion in the past that was not a thing at our school at the time. When another local school did so and asked me to see our ring that was the first time I had even heard about it.

I believe now they do buy rings for those players that want them. I have talked to parents who decided against it as their kid was on the varsity, but played almost extensively on the JV and opted to not purchase.

I try not to be disrespectful when hiding behind a keyboard. You should try it.

Don't get so defensive.
Don't try and get validation on Yappi from strangers about your sons abilities.

If he is good, he will find a home in the fall.

Also, MOST D1s are already looking at 2021 and 2022s.

Last edited:
Don't get so defensive.
Don't try and get validation on Yappi from strangers about your sons abilities.

If he is good, he will find a home in the fall.

Also, MOST D1s are already looking at 2021 and 2022s.
I wasn't looking for validation. Geesh. And I am well aware of the recruiting cycle. I am/was as surprised as anyone about the interest and finally I am worried time is running out for the D1 thing to happen, I am hoping he stays with JUCO.

BS....time to let t his feud die out. But I find it offensive that you are suggesting I am being critical and "hiding" behind a keyboard.

I tried to politely correct you about the rules of kids going to open gyms. You rejected that I knew for a fact that that was NOT an OHSAA rule, because you knew better from some old video. I didn't attack you even though I knew you were wrong.

Then, you've posted NUMEROUS times about your son's terrible coaching and how they don't know ANYTHING, as well as ALL coaches in SWO who bunt way too much. and how all Summer coaches are better than school coaches, who know next to nothing. I think you can have your opinion about your son's coaches, as you are there and are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it MAY (or may not) be. But to suggest that you are in any way an authority about ALL SWO coaches and their bunting habits is patently ridiculous. Honestly, I probably didn't need to point that out, as I would hope that anyone with any knowledge at all would come on here and recognize how much an inflated claim like that couldn't be backed up.

The point is, if ANYONE is hiding behind the safety of a keyboard, it is someone who attacks a large group of people, pretending to know and have witnessed all their coaching habits or state how the OHSAA works, without having actual knowledge (also, not unlike your comment about how all parochial school coaches care more about their players, or are better than, their public school counterparts).

Sorry Old Wildcat if you think I am an "idiot" for correcting someone who was character assassinating large groups of people. But I will stand up for my coaching "brethren" when someone makes untrue statements. Are there bad coaches? Yes (school AND summer) Are all the bad coaches "school" coaches and all the great coaches "Summer" coaches? ABSOLUTELY NOT. From my experience coaching both summer and school ball for many years, MOST of the coaches in both, care about their kids, want them to do well, and have the skill and knowledge to "coach them up"

And for the very early topic: If you have at least several years of experience, you CAN run a 3 day tryout and have enough information to make your cuts WITHOUT having seen those players in summer ball. In my experience, my only tough calls were which younger players I would keep at the lower end of the team; that is, did I want to keep a kid with little or no talent because he was a great kid? The upper level kids and the players who needed to be cut or kept were pretty easy, just by using your eyes (and some metrics) in a 3 day window.

BS....time to let t his feud die out. But I find it offensive that you are suggesting I am being critical and "hiding" behind a keyboard.

I tried to politely correct you about the rules of kids going to open gyms. You rejected that I knew for a fact that that was NOT an OHSAA rule, because you knew better from some old video. I didn't attack you even though I knew you were wrong.

Then, you've posted NUMEROUS times about your son's terrible coaching and how they don't know ANYTHING, as well as ALL coaches in SWO who bunt way too much. and how all Summer coaches are better than school coaches, who know next to nothing. I think you can have your opinion about your son's coaches, as you are there and are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it MAY (or may not) be. But to suggest that you are in any way an authority about ALL SWO coaches and their bunting habits is patently ridiculous. Honestly, I probably didn't need to point that out, as I would hope that anyone with any knowledge at all would come on here and recognize how much an inflated claim like that couldn't be backed up.

The point is, if ANYONE is hiding behind the safety of a keyboard, it is someone who attacks a large group of people, pretending to know and have witnessed all their coaching habits or state how the OHSAA works, without having actual knowledge (also, not unlike your comment about how all parochial school coaches care more about their players, or are better than, their public school counterparts).

Sorry Old Wildcat if you think I am an "idiot" for correcting someone who was character assassinating large groups of people. But I will stand up for my coaching "brethren" when someone makes untrue statements. Are there bad coaches? Yes (school AND summer) Are all the bad coaches "school" coaches and all the great coaches "Summer" coaches? ABSOLUTELY NOT. From my experience coaching both summer and school ball for many years, MOST of the coaches in both, care about their kids, want them to do well, and have the skill and knowledge to "coach them up"

And for the very early topic: If you have at least several years of experience, you CAN run a 3 day tryout and have enough information to make your cuts WITHOUT having seen those players in summer ball. In my experience, my only tough calls were which younger players I would keep at the lower end of the team; that is, did I want to keep a kid with little or no talent because he was a great kid? The upper level kids and the players who needed to be cut or kept were pretty easy, just by using your eyes (and some metrics) in a 3 day window.
I think someone has a little too much time to get behind the keyboard to defend himself now. Yappi start getting used to this with people having more time at home.

Again, I am not the only one who had the experience about having a kid kicked out of out of season workouts. Read one of the posts from a parent in not in SWO. When I talk to the AD (if we ever get a chance again), I will relay what he tells me. Second, I am only giving my opinion on what I have observed about high school coaches (frankly I don't know if they are keeping up with new philosophies) and my concerns about 3 day tryouts given the policy that my kid's school has in the past followed (that is kicking kids out of workouts). Finally, although I do agree one can tell the non-competitive players pretty quickly, some of the sublime decisions as well as the freshman and sophomore choices are pretty hard to make in three days, indoors, in a basketball gym. And, whether you mean it (which I think you do) or not, I do not appreciate the implied insult. But thanks for the feedback. I also think that is possible the athletic department can misinterpret state guidance. I think that it is clear that the spring coaches can electronic communicate with players to give them personal workout or even just check in. Our coaches have not communicated at all with our players. I think it is a misunderstanding.

Again, I am not the only one who had the experience about having a kid kicked out of out of season workouts. Read one of the posts from a parent in not in SWO. When I talk to the AD (if we ever get a chance again), I will relay what he tells me. Second, I am only giving my opinion on what I have observed about high school coaches (frankly I don't know if they are keeping up with new philosophies) and my concerns about 3 day tryouts given the policy that my kid's school has in the past followed (that is kicking kids out of workouts). Finally, although I do agree one can tell the non-competitive players pretty quickly, some of the sublime decisions as well as the freshman and sophomore choices are pretty hard to make in three days, indoors, in a basketball gym. And, whether you mean it (which I think you do) or not, I do not appreciate the implied insult. But thanks for the feedback. I also think that is possible the athletic department can misinterpret state guidance. I think that it is clear that the spring coaches can electronic communicate with players to give them personal workout or even just check in. Our coaches have not communicated at all with our players. I think it is a misunderstanding.
Coaches/Admin ABSOLUTELY can misinterpret rules.

I used to be in sporting goods. The amount of times athletes and their parents came in and said that their coach stated by rule that htey can and cannot have certain things (like logos on garments) and were wrong was staggering. I would print out the OHSAA rules every year to show them what the rules REALLY were. I know it is different, but still shows how they can be wrong on seemingly easy issues.

I used to be in sporting goods. The amount of times athletes and their parents came in and said that their coach stated by rule that htey can and cannot have certain things (like logos on garments) and were wrong was staggering. I would print out the OHSAA rules every year to show them what the rules REALLY were. I know it is different, but still shows how they can be wrong on seemingly easy issues.

That is determined by the school not OHSAA. It is up to the schools if they have a contract with companies. These contracts determine the "logo" that can be worn by athletes on the court or field.

That is determined by the school not OHSAA. It is up to the schools if they have a contract with companies. These contracts determine the "logo" that can be worn by athletes on the court or field.
I am talking about something else. Of course the unform makers are going to be within regs of the size.
There are clear OHSAA, maybe it is the NFHS but the OHSAA site would have it posted for guidelines for the logos, and I talking not their uniforms, but what they wear underneath.Too often coaches say that NO LOGO can be show which is not true. This is mostly for outdoor sports. YOu would get frantic parents and players looking for a warm weather layer to wear under their football, baseball/softball/track etc uni that had NO LOGO showing. SOme coaches tell players/parents they would be DQ'd, told by officials they cannot play/participate if they had a logo showing which is untrue.

I am talking about something else. Of course the unform makers are going to be within regs of the size.
There are clear OHSAA, maybe it is the NFHS but the OHSAA site would have it posted for guidelines for the logos, and I talking not their uniforms, but what they wear underneath.Too often coaches say that NO LOGO can be show which is not true. This is mostly for outdoor sports. YOu would get frantic parents and players looking for a warm weather layer to wear under their football, baseball/softball/track etc uni that had NO LOGO showing. SOme coaches tell players/parents they would be DQ'd, told by officials they cannot play/participate if they had a logo showing which is untrue.

NFHS Rule 1-4-4

The school's official uniform (including uniform pants, jersey, visible undergarments, socks, stockings, caps and headwear) may bear only a visible single manufacturer's logo (partial or whole) or trademark. A manufacturer's logo/trademark shall not exceed 2¼ square inches with no dimension exceeding 2¼ inches. No more than one manufacturer's logo/trademark or reference shall be permitted on the outside of each item. (The same restriction shall apply to either the manufacturer's logo/trademark or reference.) One American flag 2 inches x 3 inches may be worn or occupy space on each item of uniform apparel.

By state association adoption, to allow for special occasions, commemorative or memorial patches, that will be uniformly placed, not to exceed 4 square inches, to be worn on jerseys in an appropriate and dignified manner without compromising the integrity of the uniform.

NFHS Rule 1-4-4

The school's official uniform (including uniform pants, jersey, visible undergarments, socks, stockings, caps and headwear) may bear only a visible single manufacturer's logo (partial or whole) or trademark. A manufacturer's logo/trademark shall not exceed 2¼ square inches with no dimension exceeding 2¼ inches. No more than one manufacturer's logo/trademark or reference shall be permitted on the outside of each item. (The same restriction shall apply to either the manufacturer's logo/trademark or reference.) One American flag 2 inches x 3 inches may be worn or occupy space on each item of uniform apparel.

By state association adoption, to allow for special occasions, commemorative or memorial patches, that will be uniformly placed, not to exceed 4 square inches, to be worn on jerseys in an appropriate and dignified manner without compromising the integrity of the uniform.
Yep. Forgot if it was NFHS or OHSAA but my point remains the same....coaches have told kids that there can be NO LOGOS and would be asked to take off, or be DQd, etc.

Happened so often i would print off the rules each year.

While I think the chance for a season are still low, I'm starting to feel a little more positive that there is still a chance. I suspect if it happens it will be a very short season and a playoffs. Maybe the OHSAA will encourage all schools to keep playing even if they are knocked out of the playoffs.

I could see something like this:

May 11th - opening day of regular season
May 18th - playoffs starting
June 5th - last day of regular season
June 14th - State Final

I think coaches might have a back channel because more and more of them seem to be positive that we are going to have a season. And maybe a little earlier than Mr. Yappi is postulating.

A school/coach can have their own rules on what players can wear and it CAN be more restrictive than OHSAA. It can't be less restrictive though, meaning they can't allow players to wear things that are not permitted by OHSAA.

I take that back, they can allow less restrictions, but their team will suffer the consequences come game time.

I go back to an old saying from the Army, you can always add (you can add additional rules), just never take away.

You guys even looking at the news? Ain’t no way we are playing baseball. It’s going to be worse in May and June than it is right now.

I'll never say never until the OHSAA officially gongs the season because hope is all we have right now. If you're a Shawshank fan, you can either take Red's point of view: Hope is a dangerous thing my friend, it can kill a man... or Andy's: Hope is a good thing. Maybe even the best of things and good things never die. I opt for Andy's view of hope.

That said, it looks bleak with regard to all of the spring sports schedules as they're currently constructed. Unless I was daydreaming (may very well have been), DeWine stated in Tuesday's presser that the models the state's leaders are working off of right now are estimating that Ohio won't reach the top of the curve until around May 1. Additionally, you still have the CDC's recommendation of no gatherings greater than 50 people for at least 8 weeks which takes us to roughly May 15. There's no reason to believe that Ohio won't continue to follow that recommendation. Would DeWine risk reopening schools after that? Your guess is as good as mine, but a lot of that probably depends on what happens in the next couple weeks in places like China and South Korea that are on the other side of the curve. Do they have it under control once and for all, or does it bubble up again? There are too many variables to know exactly when we get back to anything that resembles March 10 which was about the last day that we faced no restrictions of any kind.

The best hope is that the state health dept. feels confident by May 1 that hospitals are no longer in danger of being over-run by new cases and that medical personnel haven't already been decimated by the virus (1/6 of the state's current caseload comes from health care employees), and the OHSAA is successful in securing tournament sites that would enable the season to be pushed further into June. Then maybe, just maybe, there might be a sliver of a season. It's hard to see that happening. After fiddling around for a month, it took China 2 months with major restrictions in place to get Hubei Province to where it is now.

Incidentally, I also found an article on Tues. morning which listed how many tests per 1,000,000 people had been administered in each state. Ohio had the lowest ratio of tests administered at 42 per million (only 491 tests had been administered in Ohio as of early Tues. morning), so they haven't lied when they said only those with the most severe symptoms would be tested for now. It may take awhile for there to be sufficient testing to catch up to how many cases actually exist in Ohio right now.

Last edited:
You guys even looking at the news? Ain’t no way we are playing baseball. It’s going to be worse in May and June than it is right now.
The CDC recommended 8 weeks of isolation. May 11th is that date. At some point, things will have to start to return to normal. We will have people who have gotten the disease and recovered, therefore, immune to it. The treatments will get better as more clinical trials are completed. The weather will be warming and could possibly cause a decline in the transmission of the disease. We will have alot more data about who gets sick and their outcomes. If the under 20 age has very few complications due to the virus, things will be allowed to return to normal for them faster than other age groups.

As to the peak of the disease, DeWine and Dr. Acton have both done a good job protecting Ohioans but their data has been off by a tremendous amount. There are other experts that are saying the peak will be sooner. No guarantee things will be good enough to start playing in May but the worst case scenarios laid out last week (100,000+ Ohioans infected already) just aren't true.

Ditto Philly Cat. If you all can't see how super conservative Gov. DeWine is then you are not paying attention. He is going to keep schools closed after April 6 for another extended period. Kids are settling in to their new online routines and that is how this school year will come to a close. I am a high school coach and I am saddened that the seniors in all sports are losing this last chance to play, but in the long run this precaution is needed to assure them a chance at what really matters, not being to the carriers of this virus to their grand parents.

A school/coach can have their own rules on what players can wear and it CAN be more restrictive than OHSAA. It can't be less restrictive though, meaning they can't allow players to wear things that are not permitted by OHSAA.

I take that back, they can allow less restrictions, but their team will suffer the consequences come game time.

I go back to an old saying from the Army, you can always add (you can add additional rules), just never take away.
Yeah, you can always add to the regulation, just never take away.

My point was that coaches dont always know all the rules surrounding the sport, hell, many dont even know the rules INSIDE the sport but that is life!