Sparta Highland to join MOAC

RollingTrain

Highland will take the spot left vacated in the league by Buckeye Valley (MSL). This leaves a spot in the KMAC. You'd think that Lucas and Loudonville will be chomping at the bit to grab that spot.

I actually know about Sparta Highland. They have a very nice stadium, if you go there during a summer day and stand at the top of their bleachers the view is to die for. My brother moved to Marengo in 1997 and we thought the High School was a little wrinky dink nothing and then they won the state basketball championship the following year and we were like are you serious? But they did. I am a Barberton Magic and always wanted the Magics to play a game down there but due to distance and school sizes it will never happen, but it is a very nice stadium.

Swank on Sports tweeted it after the school board meeting on the 19th.

Nice guy but I believe he's just pulling that from the message boards to create a poll of who should replace them in the KMAC. Maybe it's coming at the March BOE meeting because if happened in February it would have be reported already.

Sparta Highland is a lot bigger then all the other KMAC schools. I think for the long run a good move for the Scots. Loudonville and Lucas would be both good additions to KMAC- could a possible merger for KMAC and Mid Buckeye Conference be a possibility. I think this would create a nice smaller school league with 2 Divisions?

The MOAC is a completely different league than it was four years ago and all together on a different t planet than it was 10 years ago. Highland almost has little choice but to join the league. Buckeye Valley leaving was foolish on their part.

Sparta Highland is a lot bigger then all the other KMAC schools. I think for the long run a good move for the Scots. Loudonville and Lucas would be both good additions to KMAC- could a possible merger for KMAC and Mid Buckeye Conference be a possibility. I think this would create a nice smaller school league with 2 Divisions?
Combining leagues...not a bad idea.

They were for the most part already combined and split apart just a few years ago
You are correct. EK and Danville both left the MBC. Loudonville followed (mistake on their part). IMO, Lucas should be playing EK, Centerburg, Fredericktown, Loudonville and Danville every year in football.

I would love to see Loudonville exit the PAC for football. I'd be curious to see who would take their place or if the league would stick with only the 7 schools that are currently full members.

I think it will be Utica or Northridge. I'm sure either of them would like to get out of the Licking County League and they are right outside Knox County.

I think it will be Utica or Northridge. I'm sure either of them would like to get out of the Licking County League and they are right outside Knox County.
Utica makes plenty of sense. I don’t know if they make more sense than, say, Lucas, although being a Central District school probably helps their argument.

Northridge would’ve made sense 5-6 years ago when they were trying to leave the LCL 2.0 not long after their creation. They wanted out from a competitiveness perspective and almost made it into the Mid-State League Cardinal. NR now is probably fine and glad they stuck with the LCL. But Utica’s situation is worse and the LCL-Cardinal looks like a dead end for them.

I'd assume if someone like Lucas (independent) would get accepted into the KMAC, Highland would be released early to the MOAC for football.

Fingers crossed, here! We need a conference badly.

I agree....but I am afraid there's going to be quite a bit of competition. What is going to be tough for Lucas is not having a senior class like they just had. They went years being somewhat of a doormat and they have to expect a drop-off. It happens. Filling out those 4-10 weeks in football could be brutal. They won't want to always schedule Div. II/III/IV schools.

Last edited:
I agree....but I am afraid there's going to be quite a bit of competition. What is going to be tough for Lucas is not having a senior class like they just had. They went years being somewhat of a doormat and they have to expect a drop-off. It happens. Filling out those 4-10 weeks in football could be brutal. They won't want to always schedule Div. II/III/IV schools.
I agree, there will be some drop-off. They return a lot of talented kids, but replacing those seniors is going to rough. 5 All-Ohioans gone. Our junior high program is very strong though. We have lost only 5 or 6 games in the last 5 years. We will be a good team moving forward, not great tho IMO.

Knox Morrow Ashland Conference (KMAC)

My armchair guess: the league would’ve preferred Utica, but Utica was not convinced that the grass was greener on the other side.

OHSAA boys count for this coming fall
Loudonville 131
Lucas 82

Centerburg 140
Northmor 138
Fredericktown 134
Mount Gilead 125
East Knox 116
Cardington 115
Danville 75

Wait... this is just a football-only addition, yes? Is there a reason size and non-varsity sports mean anything then?

Last edited:
I don’t know why they wouldn’t want be in the KMAC in all other sports...the MBC is down to being just Londonville, Kidron Central Christian, Lucas, Mansfield Christian Crestline and St. Peter.