What are you watching?

TCM in honor of St.Pats Day...
The Quiet Man (John Wayne)
:>---

SALT
I took the remote from my wife at 8 PM this evening and said "The Quiet Man".

She was the one that made me sit down and watch it years ago. Now I love it.

I took the remote from my wife at 8 PM this evening and said "The Quiet Man".

She was the one that made me sit down and watch it years ago. Now I love it.

I'm finding a lot of before my time movies are the ones I prefer to watch. They had something to say and they say it without jamming it down your throat. They give you room to agree or disagree but do try and sway you.

One, Two, Three A Billy Wilder with Gagney. Are all Gagney movies played at high speed or is it only me? What we call "period" movies are that because they display the period. Not necessarily about the period but its there. This one is filmed in 1961 and it's about 1961.

This one is corporate America (Coca-cola) in Berlin about the time the wall went up. He has this jammed packed with things you hadn't thought of, but probably should have.

I'm about half way through. Wilder satires everyone. Corporate America. Fatherhood. Up and coming generations, E. Germans. W. Germans. Even got the Russians in there. So far Mothers are the only ones left without wounds but a Mom is about to show up, so no bets placed. Moves so fast, I can't keep up.

1961-2 was a strong year for Oscars but I'm still surprised this one didn't get more notice.

I first saw One Two Three back in the early 1970’s, when I was bored and nothing else was on. I was enthralled with it, but never saw it on TV again until I discovered the library had the VHS tape 20 years ago. There are just so many great lines and sight gags, you have to watch it a few times to catch them all.

The scene where Red Buttons does an iconic Cagney impersonation while in character is a great moment.

After that first viewing, I asked my father about it when he came home from work. He clicked his heels together and yelled “Schlemmer!”

Last edited:
Interesting tid-bit I got while reading about the movie: the Russian offers Cagney a Cuban cigar, saying "they send us cigars, we send them rockets." This movie was made BEFORE the Cuban missle crisis.
SALT
That stops before it gets to the good part. :D 3:05

Last edited:
Probably going to do a Coen Brothers marathon tonight of films I haven't seen. Looking like it'll be Miller's Crossing, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Hail, Caesar!

On TCM...3/21 4:30PM

220px-Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon_poster.jpg

1954 ~ part of the mid-1950's 3-D craze...

There were two sequels; "Revenge of the Creature" (1955) also in 3D
and "The Creature Walks Among Us" (1956).

For...
Andy Griffith

The film features Julie Adams as the female lead and would later play the love
interest of Andy Griffith on TV.

PS: I first saw this movie in 1962 at Canton McKinley H.S. where during lunch
you could brown-bag to the main auditorium and for a nickle catch 1 reel.
It took about a week sometimes 2 weeks to see a whole movie.

Watched three episodes of Tiger King last night and it is absolutely electric just as I expected. I'd already read a fair bit about Joe Exotic from various news articles but there is way, way more to the story than I knew about. Will probably finish it up tonight.

Mr. Roberts (1955)

WW-II aboard a small supply ship stars...
Henry Fonda (Mister Roberts)
James Cagney (the Captain)
William Powell (ships doctor) ~ final film appearance)
Jack Lemmon (Ensign Pulver) won Oscar as best supporting actor for this role.

Was first a Broadway play where Fonda also played Mr. Roberts.

PS: another film I saw during lunch periods at Canton McKinley in
early 1960s.

SALT

Last edited:
Mr. Roberts (1955)

WW-II aboard a small supply ship stars...
Henry Fonda (Mister Roberts)
James Cagney (the Captain)
William Powell (ships doctor) ~ final film appearance)
Jack Lemmon (Ensign Pulver) won Oscar as best supporting actor for this role.

Was first a Broadway play where Fonda also played Mr. Roberts.

PS: another film I saw during lunch periods at Canton McKinley in
early 1960s.

SALT
Direct by the great John Ford with some of his stock cast of actors,
War Bond
Ken Curtis
Harry Carey, Jr. &
William Henry.

John Wayne's son Patrick

Nick Adams
Martin MIlner

native Hawaiian and 3 times Olympic Gold Medalist Duke Kahanamoku.
In the 1924 Paris Olympics 100 meter freestyle Johnny Weissmuller -gold, Duke Kahanamoku-silver and Duke's brother Sam won the bronze.

Garth Brooks In Yankee Stadium 2
Ever seen him live?
Dude is amazing. The energy he brings!

WIth that said, knew a couple who went to the recorded concert he did at Notre Dame stadium a year or so ago. They said it was neat and all, (Weather sucked) but because it was being recorded for TV he stopped the concert often to try something different in songs, which they said really hampered the flow. They had seen him 4-5 times and said that was the worst showing because of that!

Ever seen him live?
Dude is amazing. The energy he brings!

WIth that said, knew a couple who went to the recorded concert he did at Notre Dame stadium a year or so ago. They said it was neat and all, (Weather sucked) but because it was being recorded for TV he stopped the concert often to try something different in songs, which they said really hampered the flow. They had seen him 4-5 times and said that was the worst showing because of that!
Yes. I caught him at old Cooper Stadium, in Columbus, Ohio.

Yes. I caught him at old Cooper Stadium, in Columbus, Ohio.
Wow, how long ago was that?
Columbus Radio station is having a Garth Madness right now where they have a bracket to vote on his best songs ever. When they had him on the radio last month they were suggesting if he really wanted to prove how big his following is he should schedule a concert at the Shoe.......

Wow, how long ago was that?
Columbus Radio station is having a Garth Madness right now where they have a bracket to vote on his best songs ever. When they had him on the radio last month they were suggesting if he really wanted to prove how big his following is he should schedule a concert at the Shoe.......
1997 was the year.
My favorite song by him is- What she's doing now.