OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday (Noon)

I think the fear from "flattening the curve" is that we will be prolonging the issue. It may stretch all the way into the Fall and more.

On the plus side, with 100s of thousands recovering by that time, some of the fear of the disease may subside.

You can do that now. San Fran is under lockdown now and they can still go on walks etc.
But you can't have large gatherings can you? Or not supposed to or encouraged not to anyway? People will venture out with others, will be closer than 6', and will have more than 10 people together. If the death or illness rate spikes, that might change but at current rates they will be willing to bet they are safe.

Guaranteed.

don't be surprised if this rolls into the start of fall sports season.

think of this too, we didn't test much for a long time and are still behind on testing, i am willing to bet there were people who died from this without being tested for it and they attributed it to the flu or pneumonia
Or they died from the flu or pneumonia as originally thought.

But you can't have large gatherings can you? Or not supposed to or encouraged not to anyway? People will venture out with others, will be closer than 6', and will have more than 10 people together. If the death or illness rate spikes, that might change but at current rates they will be willing to bet they are safe.

Guaranteed.
Why do you continue to say “at current rates” do you understand in 24 hours those current rates will be even worse and the 24 hours after that and after that .....

Why do you continue to say “at current rates” do you understand in 24 hours those current rates will be even worse and the 24 hours after that and after that .....
Yes. And do you understand those rates aren't very much compared to other illnesses? People will say...."only xxxx sick in Ohio with only xx dead. That wasn't so bad. We did our part. Let's have a Corona party" after several weeks of sheltering in place.

If we sheltered in place AND the rates skyrocketed people would be more inclined to continue that behavior to stay safe.

As I said earlier, as far as pandemics go, this one is a little weak.

Not hoping or wanting to reach these levels for sure.

Yes. And do you understand those rates aren't very much compared to other illnesses? People will say...."only xxxx sick in Ohio with only xx dead. That wasn't so bad. We did our part. Let's have a Corona party" after several weeks of sheltering in place.

If we sheltered in place AND the rates skyrocketed people would be more inclined to continue that behavior to stay safe.

As I said earlier, as far as pandemics go, this one is a little weak.

Not hoping or wanting to reach these levels for sure.
Funny thing is you havent even been sheltered in place....yet.

You've got only yourself to blame for that then.
Me? I am going to work each day and grabbing dinner from local restaurants to help support the businesses each night. It's warming up so walks, golf, etc. I am not sheltering in place too much. Just using common sense.

Unfortunately, one of them is my daughter in law in Louisville, KY. She's on and off a respirator - they think she may recover , but the problem swith respiration took the life of their baby (she was five months pregnant). They can't induce labor or do a c-section to remove the body - they'going to have to remove the remains via another method with only a local anesthetic Thursday morning before it becomes necrotic.

Winbpin, if we lose both of them, will that help you feel better about the scope of the pandemic?

Unfortunately, one of them is my daughter in law in Louisville, KY. She's on and off a respirator - they think she may recover , but the problem swith respiration took the life of their baby (she was five months pregnant). They can't induce labor or do a c-section to remove the body - they'going to have to remove the remains via another method with only a local anesthetic Thursday morning before it becomes necrotic.

Winbpin, if we lose both of them, will that help you feel better about the scope of the pandemic?
No. I hate to hear this and please accept my apology if I offended you. My prayers are with her and your family.

Grown Adults mad because science is hard.
Grown Adults mad because they can’t watch children games.
Got it...
Essentially. Bigger things to worry about right now.

For those that need a slap in the face:

Screenshot_20200318-233410_Opera.jpg

That exponential curve is going to get worse. 9436 confirmed cases and that number includes over 2000 new cases today. With the incubation period, a lot more will get severe cases in the days and weeks ahead who already have it. And currently spreading it unknowingly.

The measures we've taken won't even see results for two weeks, honestly. So let's just get through this and hope we've stunted the spread before we're really screwed by it.

View attachment 6390

That exponential curve is going to get worse. 9436 confirmed cases and that number includes over 2000 new cases today. With the incubation period, a lot more will get severe cases in the days and weeks ahead who already have it. And currently spreading it unknowingly.

The measures we've taken won't even see results for two weeks, honestly. So let's just get through this and hope we've stunted the spread before we're really screwed by it.
In New York alone there was 1200 confirmed cases in 12 hours, 500 of those in NYC. The confirmed cases are going to continue to increase rapidly because of the availability of more tests. In 2 weeks from this post we should all hope the US is under 35,000 confirmed and 3,000 deaths. If it’s a lot higher then that it will be a long summer.

I think we already had this run through most the state. Everyone was sick at the end of January and the beginning of February.
Yeah, i had something pretty bad in late January myself, and then a foew others in the office as well. We all had our flu shots due to company policy.

For most people who are getting this they just think it is the status quo and normal and just recover, like normal.

Prayers for your family and your loss.

I'm very sorry to hear that. You son and daughter in law need a lot of love right now. I can't imagine how my wife and I would have felt if that had happened to us. Take care.

• Winter Sports - Still on indefinite postponement
  • Extending tournaments problematic
  • Cancelling Winter tournaments is on the table
  • Tentative schedule for Spring sports: still on but could change if DeWine extends closing of schools
  • Cancelling Spring sports is on the table
  • If cancellation is required, likely all Winter sports would cancel at the same time. Probably not cancel one Winter sport and play another.
  • No extra year of eligibility - this was a question brought up by one of the reporters questions.
  • Working on eligibility for resumption of school due to closures possibly making athletes ineligible
  • No authority over travel teams. Worried about kids moving to their travel teams.
  • If Spring sports do not happen, what will happen with grades eligibility? Might make every kid eligible.
  • Financial impact on OHSAA. Huge impact and working on how bad it is. Lose 1.4-1.5 million in revenues from Winter Sports out of 19 million overall budget. 80% of OHSAA revenue from ticket sales.
  • Thinking creatively to keep the possibility of a season alive.
  • Decision on Winter sports coming in the next 24-48 hours
  • Would they announce a poll champion or a year without champions? Not sure yet. Not likely to have multiple champs.
  • Spring sports still has room to get the season in even with more school time closed. Could move tournaments later in June. Site availability an issue.
  • Winter sports not likely to be played in mid May. Strongly doubts it.
  • OHSAA has not discussed the Fall yet but realize how rapidly this is moving

Or they died from the flu or pneumonia as originally thought.
I can tell you with certainty that they have tested some posthumously and found they had covid 19, that is why I made that comment. I know that you wanted to patronize me for it, but what I said doesn't fit your narrative. hopefully you or no one you know gets this virus and it puts them in the hospital in serious condition.

I can tell you with certainty that they have tested some posthumously and found they had covid 19, that is why I made that comment. I know that you wanted to patronize me for it, but what I said doesn't fit your narrative. hopefully you or no one you know gets this virus and it puts them in the hospital in serious condition.
I'm not doubting you, but do you have a link to information concerning this? Thank you.

Just throwing this out there, but friends in Texas have informed me that ISD Superintendents are already very concerned about HS Football even being played down there this Fall. The fear is this goes down in the summer, and comes back up in the Fall. Let's hope this isn't a possibility.

Just throwing this out there, but friends in Texas have informed me that ISD Superintendents are already very concerned about HS Football even being played down there this Fall. The fear is this goes down in the summer, and comes back up in the Fall. Let's hope this isn't a possibility.
I think there is a real fear that HS football won't be played. But we have a very long time before that issue will come up. There are so many variables that will determine what will happen at that point. Does the disease start to dwindle away? If it is still around, does it increase due to school being back in? How are we treating it? Is it treatable to a point that we are comfortable with the risks?

I think at that point, we will have a better grasp of how dangerous it is to continue playing sports. Does the risk get minimized to the level of the regular flu?

I'm not doubting you, but do you have a link to information concerning this? Thank you.
a cdc official made the statement late last week at a house hearing, I do not have a link to it, saw it live on cspan (yeah i admit I watch it). It wasn't many but they had mentioned they had a couple that had been ruled pneumonia or the flu and were tested and a few had covid 19. I was merely trying to say without proper testing because the federal government tried to downplay this, we will probably never truly know the extent of the infection.