Need Techie help

Walt

My WiFi is painfully slow. I was able to live with it but now I’m working from home. I paid to upgrade my internet speed but it’s hasn’t helped so I assume my router sucks. Also I need a booster or extender so I can get WiFi all over the house.

I am technologically challenged and need input.

I need recommendations on routers and boosters or extenders. I don’t want to break the bank. I don’t need the top of the line.

Thanks in advance.

Could his computer be the bottleneck? And did your box come from your ISP?

I understand the mesh, but before investing too much in something possibly not the source of the problem? Now I run an old computer but I'm fine with 20meg. MAYBE the technically challenged is running a computer that can't keep up?

Walt, how does it run when you're in the same room as the box? Are you using the same computer you used at work, where I presume it worked fine? And if you have an older computer, can you find someone with a newer one to try?

I recommend people look into mesh WiFi systems from Google/Nest, Eero, or Netgear. You’ll spend a little more but the performance increase is worth it.

A few months ago, I got the new Nest WiFi from Google. I now have two access points in my house so there aren’t any areas without coverage. I’m also getting incredible speeds. I pay Spectrum for 400Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. Now when I run speed tests, I routinely get 450-460 down and 22-23 up. On my old WiFi router I was lucky to get 200 Mbps down.

My WiFi is painfully slow. I was able to live with it but now I’m working from home. I paid to upgrade my internet speed but it’s hasn’t helped so I assume my router sucks. Also I need a booster or extender so I can get WiFi all over the house.

I am technologically challenged and need input.

I need recommendations on routers and boosters or extenders. I don’t want to break the bank. I don’t need the top of the line.

Thanks in advance.

Buying a new router will make a world of difference

My WiFi is painfully slow. I was able to live with it but now I’m working from home. I paid to upgrade my internet speed but it’s hasn’t helped so I assume my router sucks.
Older routers most definitely DO have a maximum speed they are able to transmit. I ran into this issue when we doubled our internet speed a few years ago. Immediately after doing research for and purchasing a high-speed-capable router, our speeds increased to where they should have been.

I purchased the TP-Link AC1750