OHSAA Announces All State and Regional Tournaments are “Postponed Indefinitely”

Nate Barnes of the News Herald in Lake County just tweeted this:

“OHSAA Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass did not commit to saying state tournaments are canceled.

“I don’t want to say that yet. We do not want to go that far yet. But that is on the table.”

In hindsight I feel bad for the kids about the situation, especially all the seniors who more than likely just played their final games last night or last week. I can’t even imagine what’s going through their minds. Hopefully this is over sooner rather than later.

Personally, I would rather they just play the games in empty gyms with no one in the crowd. I understand the limited crowd but there still seemed to be a decent number of people at the games.

Hopefully they will consider finishing these tournaments a few weeks late. Even the middle of April is fair because it only affect a small number of schools in the state.

From Jacki Windon regarding fans who purchased to watch games online:

Any fans who had purchased to view the @OHSAASports winter state tournaments through Ohsaa.tv ... no action needs to be taken as you will automatically receive a refund through boxcast. @Jerry_Snodgrass

Personally, I would rather they just play the games in empty gyms with no one in the crowd. I understand the limited crowd but there still seemed to be a decent number of people at the games.

Hopefully they will consider finishing these tournaments a few weeks late. Even the middle of April is fair because it only affect a small number of schools in the state.
I’m sure they will play them. Jerry said they would lose 1 million dollars in profit just from regional and state games if played with no crowd

I hope this happens also, but spring sports will have already started, so there will be conflict with basketball players who are also playing a spring sport

I hope this happens also, but spring sports will have already started, so there will be conflict with basketball players who are also playing a spring sport
I think in this unique situation, they would have to ask the Spring sport to make an exception for those players. I would guess it is close to 95% of Winter sports athletes have already finished their season and it would not affect them. It would be that very small group of players that are still playing at the regional or state level.

If they start playing HS sports again in April, they should be able to finish these games. The bigger obstacle might be those that move on to their AAU teams and forfeit their eligibility.

Most divisions have just over 200 teams correct? So regional finals make 8 teams per division or less than 4%. I would at the very least like them to get through regional finals.

At some point a champion will be crowned. Whether it is the AP deciding or decided on the floor. Right now, the top poll getting team is in the driver's seat to "win" the championship.

At some point a champion will be crowned. Whether it is the AP deciding or decided on the floor. Right now, the top poll getting team is in the driver's seat to "win" the championship.
If only this was football and Massillon would finally get crowned......but still a paper!

Man, I feel sorry for these kids if they dont get to finish. I got to play on some exceptional state teams year after year and the memories made on teh playing fields still get talked about to this day! Would be ashamed if they never get a shot!

Just announced moments ago as of 12:53PM
At 12:45 p.m. Thursday, the Ohio High School Athletic Association announced that all remaining winter tournament contests are immediately postponed due to the growing situation with the coronavirus COVID-19.

The suspended tournaments include the girls state basketball tournament; the state individual wrestling tournament; the state ice hockey tournament, and the boys regional and state basketball tournaments.

“We will use this time to work with the appropriate state authorities and health experts to determine our next steps moving forward,” Snodgrass said. “We realize this is disappointing for our participants and their fans, but the overall health and safety of everyone involved in our tournaments is our priority.”

No timetable has been determined for possible rescheduling for the tournaments.

The announcement was made after state and local officials recommended that no public gatherings take place to help stop the spread of the virus.

The OHSAA will send further updates regarding ticket refunds.

I also think they can play the games over one long weekend. Even if that means a team has to play 3-4 games to win the championship on back-to-back-to-back-to-back days. These kids already play tournaments like that in AAU.

I would say that OHSAA will not play these tourneys at all--it's likely March Madness will be cancelled as Duke and Kansas have already pulled out--it's a shame, but it's the best course at this time--these teams and coaches don't want to be practicing for 2 more weeks in hope of playing--and then still maybe not be able to--gotta move on!!

wait? What? the team that has players from all over the state isn't D1?

I also think they can play the games over one long weekend. Even if that means a team has to play 3-4 games to win the championship on back-to-back-to-back-to-back days. These kids already play tournaments like that in AAU.
For the longest time, when Indiana was just one division, the would play 2 tournament games in the same day.
Like at 11am, 130pm, and then the finals at 7pm or so. We always debated what would be better to have, the 11 or 130 game as a player!

I just hope they don't make a premature decision. Postponing everything is fine. But we do still have plenty of time to play these games if things are quickly under control.

Kent State and a couple other Universities targeted April 13th as the return to classrooms. Of course, they can extend the break but no reason to do that right now. Just see where we are in a few weeks to make that decision. I'm just hoping the OHSAA does the same thing.

For the longest time, when Indiana was just one division, the would play 2 tournament games in the same day.
Like at 11am, 130pm, and then the finals at 7pm or so. We always debated what would be better to have, the 11 or 130 game as a player!
They still do that. This weekend in Indiana is regionals.....2 games in 1 day if you win your first!!!

They still do that. This weekend in Indiana is regionals.....2 games in 1 day if you win your first!!!
I was wondering if they did.
As a kid all we had were Ft. Wayne TV stations living in the sticks. They were light years ahead of promoting HS sports on TV than Ohio ever was putting games on TV, live, throughout the tourney trail. After about 3-4 years after they went to divisions i lost interest!

Gov. Mike DeWine just announced that Ohio's public schools will be closed for three weeks, beginning Monday, due to the coronavirus threat.