OHSAA Tournaments to Continue with Limited Spectators

I'm betting that many kids are going to have two weeks for Spring Break this year...
I bet this same people who have school off will be at the grocery store, malls, etc. I see it all the time working in retail when schools are closed for snow.

Of course, not in Ohio, but....
The Golden State Warriors vs Brooklyn Nets game will be played in front of no fans. I'm sure this wont be the only one

True, but
I bet this same people who have school off will be at the grocery store, malls, etc. I see it all the time working in retail when schools are closed for snow.
True, but what will be potentially more contagious. A handful of people at a store or hundreds/upwards to thousands of people inside the same building for 7-8 hours straight?

There are 118,000 cases in the entire world....and signs of it slowing down in China. It's highly unlikely to think that "many millions" will get it, just in the US alone

"signs of it slowing down"

and how did China accomplish that? ;)

Deserted streets. Deserted venues.

Do we really want history to see us as reacting slower than China? Think, don't wish.

True, but

True, but what will be potentially more contagious. A handful of people at a store or hundreds/upwards to thousands of people inside the same building for 7-8 hours straight?
I work in a large store. We have around 250 employees and way more than a "handful" of people shopping at once. I have over 300 customer transactions per 8 hour shift. Seems about the same amount of risk to me. My point is if we are banning attendance at games and canceling class, then everything should be closed.

Are you serious implying none of the aforementioned have killed millions of people? World statistics.
I haven't looked the others up but.....
Ebola has killed fewer than 14,000.
SARS has killed fewer than 800.
Nowhere even close to "killed millions of people annually."

Please don't contribute to the hysteria.

The University of Dayton closed the school, no classes yesterday, last night over 250 kids on campus got together for a giant party..... the riot squad had to come in and break it up..... ugly scene but did anyone expect anything different.... ?

Yeah the World Health Organization declared COVID 19 a pandemic today--not sure what history you refer to,

Recent history.... And the WHO is an arm of the UN. (didn't they just last month recently "praise" China for their "transparency"??)

Politics and Money

Both are in play here........ Our economy is about to take a HUGE hit.

The University of Dayton closed the school, no classes yesterday, last night over 250 kids on campus got together for a giant party..... the riot squad had to come in and break it up..... ugly scene but did anyone expect anything different.... ?
Muskingham (granted a much smaller university) ordered all students to vacate their residence halls by Friday at 4pm....entire campus closing and kicking all the students out....

Recent history.... And the WHO is an arm of the UN. (didn't they just last month recently "praise" China for their "transparency"??)

Politics and Money

About to?!?! lol my 401k is walking around with a limp right now after 2 of the last 3 days....DOW finished -1490 today

Sounds like DeWine getting ready to change his suggestion of not going to public events to a mandate.

I honestly do feel badly for the athletes that are potentially going to have their seasons cut short....but as a parent of a young child who has asthma related issues - I want every precaution available to be taken to prevent the spread of this illness. There is now a confirmed case through community spread in Stark County - which happens to be the county where I reside.....There is no panic, just want everyone to be smart - that's all....

Wait a minute. Aren't the vast majority of confirmed cases of COVID-19 considered mild or even symptom-free? Do those cases even require hospitalization? How would hospitals be overwhelmed if it's mainly a small number of elderly with underlying health issues who present the most severe or deadly cases? The impression given is that everyone with a confirmed case will potentially be hospitalized and overwhelm our health care institutions.

The death rate is based on confirmed cases. How do we know how many has/had it that didn't even realize they have/had it???

Not sure if this is part of the hysteria but it was told on the news yesterday that roughly 50% who get it will come down with pneumonia and will need to be hospitalized.

The problem is that many do not trust the media including me. I believe everything is politically motivated and the truth does not matter to them.

Muskingham (granted a much smaller university) ordered all students to vacate their residence halls by Friday at 4pm....entire campus closing and kicking all the students out....

That is what they are now doing in Dayton. The students are not happy stating there is no cases of the virus here or near here so why are you sending us away?

About to?!?! lol my 401k is walking around with a limp right now after 2 of the last 3 days....DOW finished -1490 today

The ripple effect this is going to have when Q1 earning are posted, followed by 2, 3 & 4....

.... will be just as bad

The good thing is, we'll rebound..... we always do.

I work in a large store. We have around 250 employees and way more than a "handful" of people shopping at once. I have over 300 customer transactions per 8 hour shift. Seems about the same amount of risk to me. My point is if we are banning attendance at games and canceling class, then everything should be closed.
Fair enough on your assessment on large stores/shopping areas. But I'm sure it's a much easier decision for a superintendent to close a district as opposed to an owner(s) losing big time revenue closing store(s) for an unknown amount of time.

It's not if other places in Ohio will test positive, it's when
There will be a announcement later on a positive case in Trumbull County.

I haven't looked the others up but.....
Ebola has killed fewer than 14,000.
SARS has killed fewer than 800.
Nowhere even close to "killed millions of people annually."

Please don't contribute to the hysteria.

Influenza & H1N1 or swine flu, look it up. A guy with the least credibility in Yappi and popularly known by Massillon faithful as the biggest Jack@ss in Jackson wants to talk about hysteria contributions. A known creepy guy spying on high school kids social media.

The ripple effect this is going to have when Q1 earning are posted, followed by 2, 3 & 4....

.... will be just as bad

The good thing is, we'll rebound..... we always do.
Yes we will rebound, but I feel sorry for the people who are about to retire in the next few months with employee sponsored 401k. They ain't getting that money back. I lost about 15% these past 2 weeks

Influenza & H1N1 or swine flu, look it up. A guy with the least credibility in Yappi and popularly known by Massillon faithful as the biggest Jack@ss in Jackson wants to talk about hysteria contributions. A known creepy guy spying on high school kids social media.
I guess I touched a nerve.

Your post that I questioned said nothing about "Influenza & H1N1 or swine flu."

Sorry you can't stand up to your mistake.

Politics and Money

Trying to wrap my head around you taking people to task (and deservedly so) for criticizing sports officials without having knowledge of the rules, understanding that people view the same event through different lenses based on their inherent biases, etc. and, at the same time, being convinced that a worldwide pandemic is some sort of conspiracy by the UN to destroy the US economy.

Well, it's a new day, so I ask the question today - those out there not believing in the seriousness of the virus, still believe all the mass hysteria is media created and politic and money driven now? The NBA closes its doors - that is BILLIONS of dollars lost. There will be a chain reaction now, NCAA will cancel its tournaments (there is no way amateur players will/should play for free when the paid pros aren't playing), MLB will push back their season, NHL will suspend their season......Those decisions don't get made unless the situation is serious.

And don't get me wrong - I don't believe the dangers of the disease (for the majority of people) are all that serious.....it's about preventing the rapid spread of it. DeWine said it himself, we don't want to be the next Italy with this thing....

Well, it's a new day, so I ask the question today - those out there not believing in the seriousness of the virus, still believe all the mass hysteria is media created and politic and money driven now? The NBA closes its doors - that is BILLIONS of dollars lost. There will be a chain reaction now, NCAA will cancel its tournaments (there is no way amateur players will/should play for free when the paid pros aren't playing), MLB will push back their season, NHL will suspend their season......Those decisions don't get made unless the situation is serious.

And don't get me wrong - I don't believe the dangers of the disease (for the majority of people) are all that serious.....it's about preventing the rapid spread of it. DeWine said it himself, we don't want to be the next Italy with this thing....

It's generally accepted social science that we formulate opinions early and then are almost impossible to convince otherwise. We are all guilty - it's human nature.

In a national crisis where convincing people of inherent risk and easily adoptable steps for mitigating such risk, I'm not sure that "hey, what do you think now?" questions are the way to go, as tempting as it is to want to see people humbled.

As I said, we all are susceptible to seeking confirmation of our beliefs and overlooking evidence to the contrary. From personal experience, it's much easier to admit to yourself you might be wrong and sheepishly come to the light if you don't have dozens of people waiting to say "I told you so."

It's generally accepted social science that we formulate opinions early and then are almost impossible to convince otherwise. We are all guilty - it's human nature.

In a national crisis where convincing people of inherent risk and easily adoptable steps for mitigating such risk, I'm not sure that "hey, what do you think now?" questions are the way to go, as tempting as it is to want to see people humbled.

As I said, we all are susceptible to seeking confirmation of our beliefs and overlooking evidence to the contrary. From personal experience, it's much easier to admit to yourself you might be wrong and sheepishly come to the light if you don't have dozens of people waiting to say "I told you so."
On the contrary - 24 hours ago there were many people that believed the NBA would never suspend their season. So I think it's a fair question to ask now that the circumstances have changed, no? I mean, I may hold a different view on this.....but I've never seen the NBA do something like this - so I believe that the decision that was made, to suspend the season, is a big enough surprise that maybe some people may have completely changed their view on things.....In which case, great, I'm not here to criticize you for changing your mind - I legitimately just wondered if any had!

It's a fair question. I just don't think you're going to see anyone issuing a mea culpa any time soon. I am still seeing the contrarians doubling down on my Facebook feed. The "you can't trust the media - do your own research" types who link articles with dubious sourcing that confirm their own opinion - the same opinion you knew they would have based on the last 100 articles of dubious origin that they've shared.

All I'm saying is that an instance like this is a good time to check yourself and question your own beliefs before the next event happens and you develop your own strongly held opinion.

It's a fair question. I just don't think you're going to see anyone issuing a mea culpa any time soon. I am still seeing the contrarians doubling down on my Facebook feed. The "you can't trust the media - do your own research" types who link articles with dubious sourcing that confirm their own opinion - the same opinion you knew they would have based on the last 100 articles of dubious origin that they've shared.

All I'm saying is that an instance like this is a good time to check yourself and question your own beliefs before the next event happens and you develop your own strongly held opinion.
I get it - but I'm not on here trying to take a victory lap.....I just like to think that people can change their mind when something eye opening happens...

From a Twitter post from a reporter at the games today:

West Branch girls warming up here at St. John Arena but don’t expect a full game. According to sources around the arena, the OHSAA plans to cancel/postpone the entire state tournament in the next hour or so. Tip is 1 PM. Nothing official till Governor DeWine addresses at 2PM.