OHSAA Tournaments to Continue with Limited Spectators

So what is the lack of containment and prevention measures for HIV, Hepatitis, TB, SARS, Ebola, Measles, Shingles, Whooping cough, Diptheria? All in which have killed millions of people annually. Yes I'd say it's a complete overreaction.
Well - I mean, if you look at history with many of those diseases that you listed.....there was hysteria when those diseases became problems and there were measures taken to stop or prevent the spread of those things too.....I mean seriously - do you know how freaked out people were about HIV when it became a thing?! Literally every one of the sicknesses that you mention has a vaccine that we all get as children to prevent the rapid spread again.....

So what is the lack of containment and prevention measures for HIV, Hepatitis, TB, SARS, Ebola, Measles, Shingles, Whooping cough, Diptheria? All in which have killed millions of people annually. Yes I'd say it's a complete overreaction.
You can't be serious?! Please stop passing off such irresponsible misinformation. This isn't even close to being correct.

And btw - right here in Ohio, there have been entire school districts that have closed their doors for days at a time this year to combat sickness over this winter.......so yes, things do close for regular/everyday illnesses if needed....

Do they close the doors before the signs of an outbreak? (in the area)

Do they close the doors before the signs of an outbreak? (in the area)
No - they closed to prevent further spread. I get your point....but wouldn't you rather do your part of prevention that wait to react after the problem is already here?

I mean the reality we live in, is while the virus may not be at your doorstep right now....it IS coming. Period. Considering a little over a week ago it hadn't made its way to the United States.....now, take a look at this map...and these number have risen even more since this came out yesterday..

Also - I'm sure if you ask the 80,000+ people who have had it in China whether this is something that people should be trying to prevent - I'd bet they'd agree with any/all prevention methods.... ?‍♂️

No - they closed to prevent further spread. I get your point....but wouldn't you rather do your part of prevention that wait to react after the problem is already here?

I mean the reality we live in, is while the virus may not be at your doorstep right now....it IS coming. Period. Considering a little over a week ago it hadn't made its way to the United States.....now, take a look at this map...and these number have risen even more since this came out yesterday..

View attachment 6223
Bingo Casual--Dr. Fauci's response when asked how many people will get and/or die from COVID-19 in the U.S.: "If we are complacent and don't do really aggressive containment and mitigation, the number could go way up...many, many millions." Dr. Fauci to Congress this morning says "COVID 19 is 10 times more lethal than the flu--this is serious and needs serious containment".
I'll believe the Dr. who has worked for 7 different Presidents!!

View attachment 6223
Now show us the influenza map. ;)

I'm not naive to think this isn't coming. I'm not buying into the hysteria.

If it was truly as bad as what's being hyped........ everything would be shut down by the government. We all know that won't happen, because politics and money make people expendable.

Bingo Casual--Dr. Fauci's response when asked how many people will get and/or die from COVID-19 in the U.S.: "If we are complacent and don't do really aggressive containment and mitigation, the number could go way up...many, many millions." Dr. Fauci to Congress this morning says "COVID 19 is 10 times more lethal than the flu--this is serious and needs serious containment".

He did say "right now" (I saw his interview yesterday) it is 10 times more lethal.

Sample sizes mean something here.

If you have 100 people with the flu and 10 die
And you have 2 people with coronavirus and one dies.....

The death rate "right now" is much higher. Let's get some equal samples to compare.

In the end, you might be right..... or I might be right......... History is on my side of the thinking however.

Now show us the influenza map. ;)

I'm not naive to think this isn't coming. I'm not buying into the hysteria.

If it was truly as bad as what's being hyped........ everything would be shut down by the government. We all know that won't happen, because politics and money make people expendable.
100% true - politics and money.......but will your thoughts change if the NBA mandates no fans, or (and I will literally be so upset if this happens as its one of my favorites times of year) the NCAA cancels the tournament? These are all things being discussed right now...and that would be messing with BILLIONS of dollars...

Wait a minute. Aren't the vast majority of confirmed cases of COVID-19 considered mild or even symptom-free? Do those cases even require hospitalization? How would hospitals be overwhelmed if it's mainly a small number of elderly with underlying health issues who present the most severe or deadly cases? The impression given is that everyone with a confirmed case will potentially be hospitalized and overwhelm our health care institutions.

100% true - politics and money.......but will your thoughts change if the NBA mandates no fans, or (and I will literally be so upset if this happens as its one of my favorites times of year) the NCAA cancels the tournament? These are all things being discussed right now...and that would be messing with BILLIONS of dollars...

The fact that they are "discussing" this....... and not acting on this.....

Proves my point.

There are 118,000 cases in the entire world....and signs of it slowing down in China. It's highly unlikely to think that "many millions" will get it, just in the US alone

He did say "right now" (I saw his interview yesterday) it is 10 times more lethal.

The death rate "right now" is much higher. Let's get some equal samples to compare.

In the end, you might be right..... or I might be right......... History is on my side of the thinking however.
We're not looking at the last 100 years of the FLU though! This disease hasn't been around long enough to discuss anything beyond "right now"

December 31st - dozens of people being treated for pneumonia of unknown cause in China
January 11th - first reported death in China

It's been 71 days since the first reported cases in China - since then we're over 118,000 cases world wide.....71 days.....

Yeah the World Health Organization declared COVID 19 a pandemic today--not sure what history you refer to, but here are the top 7 pandemics in history:
  • HIV/AIDS Pandemic (at its peak, 2005-2012) Death Toll: 36 million died
  • Flu Pandemic (1968) ...1 million died
  • Asian Flu (1956-1958) ...2 million died
  • Flu Pandemic (1918) ...20 million to 50 million estimate
  • Sixth Cholera Pandemic (1910-1911) ...800,000 died
  • Flu Pandemic (1889-1890) ...1 million died
  • Third Cholera Pandemic (1852–1860) ...1 million died
Those #'s are not good for any pandemic--COVID 19 is an official pandemic!! When you're dealing with exponential growth, the time to act is when it feels too early.

Well - I mean, if you look at history with many of those diseases that you listed.....there was hysteria when those diseases became problems and there were measures taken to stop or prevent the spread of those things too.....I mean seriously - do you know how freaked out people were about HIV when it became a thing?! Literally every one of the sicknesses that you mention has a vaccine that we all get as children to prevent the rapid spread again.....

The point is, which you and the Jackson, fail to understand - these viruses and diseases still kill more people annually, than this Coronavirus has or will. I imagine you lived in your parents' basement for X amount of years. Used to the sheltered life. Conditioned. Deprived of any real sense of toughness and resiliency. When did HIV become a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

No one knows for sure because of the commies, but the morbidity rate in China and in that region of the world in the earlier stages of the outbreak appeared to be a little under 4% at the most, while the rate for flu is around 0.6%. So, that does represent a multiplied factor of morbidity. However, the US morbidity rate would be expected to be less. I have seen estimates of 1%, which still exceeds that of the flu, but doesn't mean we are all going to die.

But no one should be saying COVID-19 is not to be taken very, very seriously or down-playing the reality of what the impact of flu is in terms of human life and dollars. For some reasons I can't understand, that seems to be going on. The enigma here is why the one is treated like the apocalypse and the other is treated like it's no big deal.

Yeah the World Health Organization declared COVID 19 a pandemic today--not sure what history you refer to, but here are the top 7 pandemics in history:
  • HIV/AIDS Pandemic (at its peak, 2005-2012) Death Toll: 36 million died
  • Flu Pandemic (1968) ...1 million died
  • Asian Flu (1956-1958) ...2 million died
  • Flu Pandemic (1918) ...20 million to 50 million estimate
  • Sixth Cholera Pandemic (1910-1911) ...800,000 died
  • Flu Pandemic (1889-1890) ...1 million died
  • Third Cholera Pandemic (1852–1860) ...1 million died
Those #'s are not good for any pandemic--COVID 19 is an official pandemic!! When you're dealing with exponential growth, the time to act is when it feels too early.

Now do the bottom 7 pandemics........

Just spoke with a co-worker that had / has Wuhan virus. He said a cold is worse. 11 hours he had a slight fever and a dry cough and then he was fine. Take precautions and be smart but can't shut down the country.

What about the people who have been tested and are positive and have fought it off and are now at home ?
4 now out of 25 or 16% have tested positive. Waiting on results of 25 more who have been tested. How many people did these people put at risk each day? Let's say they had contact with 5 people per day for 5 days before showing symptoms. Thats 100 more people who need to be quarantined, monitored and tested. Now let's look at it and say they have 3 family members at home, who they hug, kiss, share drinks and the number of possible cases go way up. These numbers will be skewed as we increase testing in Ohio, hopefully way down. What we have learned from other countries is that may not be the case.

Well for starters....SARS only killed 774 people, globally....so in 71 days COVID-19 has already blown that away...

SARS had the start of an overreaction, but fizzled out rather quickly. The best comparison is influenza, since there are many similarities in the transmission, treatment, and prevention. Despite the high volumes of people dying annually, there has been no extreme response for it, contrary to Coronavirus reaction. If you need extra toilet paper, let me know. I'm certain I have a few extra rolls I can donate for a good cause.

Well for starters....SARS only killed 774 people, globally....so in 71 days COVID-19 has already blown that away...

Remember H1N1 under Obama? WHO declared it a global pandemic in 2009, if I remember correctly, a few hundred thousand people died from it. But the extreme we are seeing today didn't happen, even then. My point. It's an overreaction. But we forgot all about that.

Miami shut down & guess what ....The BARS WERE PACKED LAST NIGHT, then kids go back to their dorms! Hummm...I dont see the logic there and I would guess all colleges were like that.
I will give Dewine credit it was a gutsy call and that's why he gets the "big bucks". BUT since he made the call ...it should not just be HS but ALL
events. NCAA, Reds opening day parade, opening games, State senate hearings, court rooms?
Rumblings that the Arnold Organizer are preparing a lawsuit against the City of Columbus and the Governor. remains to be seen if they go through with it.

More people are recovering in the US every day. Of those diagnosed, 99% have been characterized as a "mild" case (non-life threatening).

Some people watch too many sci-fi movies.

I'm going to a game tonight.

I'm betting that many kids are going to have two weeks for Spring Break this year...
Gov De Wine says today that no decision has been made to "close schools K-12, but we may get to that point." My son teaches in a large Cincinnati suburb HS and teachers were told to take home all electronics that would be needed for electronic learning and they have a just scheduled staff meeting at 7:15 tomorrow--my guess is Ohio Superintendents have been notified to make preparations for an early Spring Break, maybe beginning after Friday classes. We'll see!!

Remember H1N1 under Obama? WHO declared it a global pandemic in 2009, if I remember correctly, a few hundred thousand people died from it. But the extreme we are seeing today didn't happen, even then. My point. It's an overreaction. But we forgot all about that.
H1N1 is a poor comparison to the coronavirus. Not a good example.

My wife and I both work from home, so day care issue is solved if school cancels....on the flip side, I'll lose my absolute mind. It will not be good.