D4 Canton Regional

I didn’t get a good look in person, but after seeing a clip, it’s absolutely laughable a foul wasn’t called on the final 3 point attempt. Officials should be ashamed
Definitely was a foul. I’m surprised they didn’t call it. I feel most officials are ‘trigger happy’ with fouls, especially in a scenario like that.

The OHSAA needs to reevaluate how some of these officials are chosen. Both games were rough. Not sure how that wasn't a foul at the end of regulation.
Absolutely horrible call on Rasile’s 3 point attempt at the buzzer. Rasile should have been at the line shooting 3 free throws with a chance to win the game. It was clear the Lucas player ran into Rasile after the ball left his hand. The refs were bad all night. Bad calls for both sides. Congratulations to Lucas. I hope you can knock off the AAU team.

Out coached again. Sad to see Zack go but I’m glad coaching era is over. Excited to see if the new coach can get all the athletes out who didn’t want to play for coach crazy. Great season better than most expected. Good luck to Lucas
I’ve heard they’ll most likely give it to a certain person who got put on that staff a few years ago, don’t count on things getting better if that’s the case

The play at the end was certainly questionable. I couldn't tell if he got hit or initiated the contact himself. Either way, it was a great game. The Rasile kid is the real deal. Hauger did an amazing job defensively on him. That kid was on him like a glove.

On the way home we got word only 4 family members per player will be able to attend the regional final game because of this stupid media driven corona virus BS. WTF. My parents are devastated. They have never missed one of Logan's games.

Last edited:
The play at the end was certainly questionable. I couldn't tell if he get hit or initiated the contact himself. Either way, it was a great game. The Rasile kid is the real deal. Hauger did an amazing job defensively on him. That kid was on him like a glove.

On the way home we got word only 4 family members per player will be able to attend the regional final game because of this stupid media driven corona virus BS. WTF. My parents are devastated. They have never missed one of Logan's games.
Yeah I cant believe it, thats rough all all around on parents and kids families. Your son is great and good luck to you guys!

For the last shot I cant believe Portolese didnt take that 3 from the corner!

I go to a lot of games in NEO and try to follow up with most teams and leagues as much as I can. I had to make an account last night to get in these conversations a little more. Let’s just make this clear... people who think Jeff Rasile got out coached “again” are completely delusional. From the looks of last night and the game I saw them win against Bristol, he over achieved with that team. He got the most out of those kids. Secondly, if I’m not mistaken, the McDonald assistant took a very young, raw group at Struthers to a district championship his last year coaching there, don’t understand why it would be a bad fit at a school with history. #40 had a brief second in the corner but it would have been forced. If you don’t have a good shot, you HAVE to find Rasile. That’s basketball 101. As for Lucas, they played their tales off. Very good team. That #10 is a solid all around player. Their biggest concern against Richmond will be scoring. I think they match up better with them compared to JFK, but still tough. Not only is Richmond athletic and big, but they play fundamental basketball.

Here is a still shot of the final shot

Sounds like a great game.

Where are the fans? Why no student section behind the basket. I went to the Grove/Antwerp game at BGSU and it was 90% full.

I go to a lot of games in NEO and try to follow up with most teams and leagues as much as I can. I had to make an account last night to get in these conversations a little more. Let’s just make this clear... people who think Jeff Rasile got out coached “again” are completely delusional. From the looks of last night and the game I saw them win against Bristol, he over achieved with that team. He got the most out of those kids. Secondly, if I’m not mistaken, the McDonald assistant took a very young, raw group at Struthers to a district championship his last year coaching there, don’t understand why it would be a bad fit at a school with history. #40 had a brief second in the corner but it would have been forced. If you don’t have a good shot, you HAVE to find Rasile. That’s basketball 101. As for Lucas, they played their tales off. Very good team. That #10 is a solid all around player. Their biggest concern against Richmond will be scoring. I think they match up better with them compared to JFK, but still tough. Not only is Richmond athletic and big, but they play fundamental basketball.
Thank you for the kind words about my son (#10). We are crazy proud of him and our Cubs.

Yeah I cant believe it, thats rough all all around on parents and kids families. Your son is great and good luck to you guys!

For the last shot I cant believe Portolese didnt take that 3 from the corner!
I know. I thought he was going to let it fly and he didn't.

There is a lot of hype about Columbus Grove in NWO. I don't see it. Good not great team (would lose by 15-20 points to last year's BGSU winner Convoy Crestview - no shame in that). If Lucas can get by Richmond Heights they match up very well with Grove.

Last edited:
I try not to bash officials. We are in an era where it is so easy to blame them, and let's not forget there is kind of a shortage right now. But last night, they let the Rasile kid just get beat up. They should have established something early on, and instead they allowed two hands on him every time he touched the ball, and two arms came down on him every drive to the hoop

I try not to bash officials. We are in an era where it is so easy to blame them, and let's not forget there is kind of a shortage right now. But last night, they let the Rasile kid just get beat up. They should have established something early on, and instead they allowed two hands on him every time he touched the ball, and two arms came down on him every drive to the hoop
Agreed. Have to let the kids play, but that was excessive... the fouls were like 18-4 on the game which is crazy for a regional game.

First time seeing Mcdonald play, but aside from #40 and Rasile, it looked like the other kids haven't even looked at the rim this season. If any one of the other starters even shoots one or two of the many easy bunnies, could have been a game changer. And down 2, why are you sending the ball to get lost in the corner as your first look. Lucas was at 6 team fouls too! Should have thrown it into Rasile or #40 and gotten them to the hoop.

First time seeing Mcdonald play, but aside from #40 and Rasile, it looked like the other kids haven't even looked at the rim this season. If any one of the other starters even shoots one or two of the many easy bunnies, could have been a game changer. And down 2, why are you sending the ball to get lost in the corner as your first look. Lucas was at 6 team fouls too! Should have thrown it into Rasile or #40 and gotten them to the hoop.
I didn’t see McDonald play more than twice this year, I can’t speak on everything. My biggest thing is how can someone guard Rasile the whole game and not pick up a foul? Not even one! It’s tough to bank on getting to the rim and getting fouled when you haven’t got any calls. I liked what they did trying to get 40 a shot in the corner for the win tbh

I didn’t see McDonald play more than twice this year, I can’t speak on everything. My biggest thing is how can someone guard Rasile the whole game and not pick up a foul? Not even one! It’s tough to bank on getting to the rim and getting fouled when you haven’t got any calls. I liked what they did trying to get 40 a shot in the corner for the win tbh
The Hauger kid is an unbelievable defender. NO ONE works harder on the defensive end. In say that, it is pretty incredible he had no fouls.

Congratulations to Lucas and I hope they go to Columbus and win it all. That being said, I think this best describes how bad the officials were. McDonald was at the foul line twice last night. Rasile shot 2 free throws in the first half and two in the 2nd. I am all for letting the kids play and hate when the game is called too close. But to let all the hacking and reaching in go on and then call Portolese for a 4th foul when he stood straight up and didn’t move on a drive by a Lucas player is ridiculous. I believe that foul was picked up in the 3rd Q. It limited his aggressiveness on D the rest of the game. But it came down to two great small school programs battling it out to the last second.

Out coached again. Sad to see Zack go but I’m glad coaching era is over. Excited to see if the new coach can get all the athletes out who didn’t want to play for coach crazy. Great season better than most expected. Good luck to Lucas
I must say I don’t get the bashing of Rasile. You may not like his coaching style but he was not out coached. In fact, I would say the opposite. 3 of the 6 kids who played this year had zero varsity experience. He took them to the Regional and was a bad call away from making it to the Final 8.

I'm devastated. I cannot imagine what the kids are feeling. What a horrible, horrible situation.