All games at Canton Fieldhouse

Tuesday 03/10/20
Richmond Hts 60 vs Warren JFK 47 6:15pm
McDonald 45 vs Lucas 47 8:00pm

Regional Final

Friday 03/13/20
Richmond Hts vs Lucas 7:00pm

Last edited:

Looking forward to McDonald-Lucas. If it’s anything like the football playoff thriller those in attendance will get a treat. Lots of respect for the Cubs.

The first game likely won’t be close. JFK is a very young team that’s improved a lot and will be a player in the region in the future, but don’t see them having anything for Richmond this year. Who knows and that’s why they play the game. Good luck to all!

cool ..thanks
I want to see this kid from McDonald play at least once .... so get there for 1st game and avoid the madness at ticket line for 2nd game

Dnis,
What do you guy have height wise? Do you have a true big man? What else you want to tell us lol

Dnis,
What do you guy have height wise? Do you have a true big man? What else you want to tell us lol
We are not incredibly tall. We have two guys (Niswander and Gossom) both 6'-3" and both average around 20 ppg. PG (Sauder) is 5'-10 with great handles, and is our third scoring option at near 8 ppg. Two other starters (Wallace 7 ppg and Hauger 5 ppg) are gritty, tough defenders. Hauger is an incredible on-the-ball defender. All 5 players were All-Northwest district with Niswander being the POY.

Last edited:
Looking forward to McDonald-Lucas. If it’s anything like the football playoff thriller those in attendance will get a treat. Lots of respect for the Cubs.

The first game likely won’t be close. JFK is a very young team that’s improved a lot and will be a player in the region in the future, but don’t see them having anything for Richmond this year. Who knows and that’s why they play the game. Good luck to all!
Should be a great game! If we can hold Rasile under 30, I think we'll have a good shot at the W! Lol. Obviously, easier said than done.

When it comes to this group of Lucas kids, what can you say. They just simply refuse to lose. What a group!

Why do you call them the Cleveland AAU All-Stars? If that were the case due to competitive balance they wouldn’t be in D-4.
Competitive balance is not affected if they "move" into your district. Unfortunately the OHSAA doesn't knock the "student"/athlete if they played AAU for the coach of Richmond. They have a kid who "moved" from Glenoak to Richmond Heights and they also have a kid who "moved" from Sharon PA to Richmond Heights. Both players played for head coach on the AAU circuit and joined up with their other teammates by attending Richmond Heights. Not a fair shake for the homegrown D4 schools that is for sure.

Competitive balance is not affected if they "move" into your district. Unfortunately the OHSAA doesn't knock the "student"/athlete if they played AAU for the coach of Richmond. They have a kid who "moved" from Glenoak to Richmond Heights and they also have a kid who "moved" from Sharon PA to Richmond Heights. Both players played for head coach on the AAU circuit and joined up with their other teammates by attending Richmond Heights. Not a fair shake for the homegrown D4 schools that is for sure.

Eligibility is not affected because they moved into RH. Competitive balance is affected but not for the current season. Because those kids were not enrolled in RH by 7th grade, RH will take a hit on them in competitive balance. However, the hit doesn't come until next year when this year's roster data is factored into the competitive balance adjustments.

Why do you call them the Cleveland AAU All-Stars? If that were the case due to competitive balance they wouldn’t be in D-4.

Let's not kid ourselves. This is a compilation of star players from all around Cleveland area. AAU or whatever. I just hope they lose. Part of what's wrong w hs athletics. I'm not naive.

Exactly spot on

Curious to see how the change in backdrop affects the shooting of these teams. The field house is not like any other gym in our region and could potentially pose some issues for players.
With that said, cant wait to see Rasile play at the regional level. The kid is special player and this is a great opportunity for hoop fans to see him play.

Curious to see how the change in backdrop affects the shooting of these teams. The field house is not like any other gym in our region and could potentially pose some issues for players.
With that said, cant wait to see Rasile play at the regional level. The kid is special player and this is a great opportunity for hoop fans to see him play.
Good point. McDonald did make the regionals 3 years ago but the game got moved to Warren Harding due to the weather

Should be a great game! If we can hold Rasile under 30, I think we'll have a good shot at the W! Lol. Obviously, easier said than done.

When it comes to this group of Lucas kids, what can you say. They just simply refuse to lose. What a group!
If I’m the other coach I’d just make sure the other kids aren’t scoring. He’s going to take a ton of shots and he will get his points. You just have to make sure no one else scores 15+ in my opinion

If I’m the other coach I’d just make sure the other kids aren’t scoring. He’s going to take a ton of shots and he will get his points. You just have to make sure no one else scores 15+ in my opinion
I'm with you. I don't think McDonald has seen a defensive team like Lucas yet. We have put the clamps on just about everyone. I think if Lucas came out in a full court press it could really put McDonald in a bind. I've read they do non handle in-your-face ball pressure all that well.

I know the Rasile kid is a different animal on offense, and he is going to get his, to an extent. Offensively, Lucas is so hard to beat because they have two main scorers. Gossom and Niswander could each get you 35 on any night. Against Clear Fork, earlier this year, they both went for 30+.

We shall soon see!

I'm with you. I don't think McDonald has seen a defensive team like Lucas yet. We have put the clamps on just about everyone. I think if Lucas came out in a full court press it could really put McDonald in a bind. I've read they do non handle in-your-face ball pressure all that well.

I know the Rasile kid is a different animal on offense, and he is going to get his, to an extent. Offensively, Lucas is so hard to beat because they have two main scorers. Gossom and Niswander could each get you 35 on any night. Against Clear Fork, earlier this year, they both went for 30+.

We shall soon see!
To me the difference for McDonald will be if Carkido and Street can knock down some 3's. Sometimes they lack the confidence to shoot if they dont hit early. If those 2 don't get going you're left with Rasile and Portolese. Portolese can score down low and hit some 3's, however this deep in the tournament you need more than 2 guys scoring. So my pick to win is whoever has the highest 3rd scorer. Good luck to both teams.

To me the difference for McDonald will be if Carkido and Street can knock down some 3's. Sometimes they lack the confidence to shoot if they dont hit early. If those 2 don't get going you're left with Rasile and Portolese. Portolese can score down low and hit some 3's, however this deep in the tournament you need more than 2 guys scoring. So my pick to win is whoever has the highest 3rd scorer. Good luck to both teams.
Exactly right! Good luck to both teams! 12 hours away!

We shall soon see!

I think it'll be a lot harder to full court press a team like McDonald that gets the ball inbounded & up the court as fast as they do. Lucas may be better off getting back on D as quickly as possible to prevent easy fastbreak points and just pressure the heck out of them in halfcourt defense. Make them work for every bucket instead of allowing a few easy ones.

I think it'll be a lot harder to full court press a team like McDonald that gets the ball inbounded & up the court as fast as they do. Lucas may be better off getting back on D as quickly as possible to prevent easy fastbreak points and just pressure the heck out of them in halfcourt defense. Make them work for every bucket instead of allowing a few easy ones.
"pressure the heck out of them in halfcourt defense" This has been our staple all season. In all likelihood, this is the plan.

I just like occasionally hitting with a full court press here and there. Just to keep teams honest. I am sure McDonald has ball handlers, but I sill believe that the occasional press would really benefit Lucas seeing we have two very, very quick guards. Even if you got only a couple of turnovers, it could limit their possessions a smidge.

Either way, 9 hours out! Cannot wait!

"pressure the heck out of them in halfcourt defense" This has been our staple all season. In all likelihood, this is the plan.

I just like occasionally hitting with a full court press here and there. Just to keep teams honest. I am sure McDonald has ball handlers, but I sill believe that the occasional press would really benefit Lucas seeing we have two very, very quick guards. Even if you got only a couple of turnovers, it could limit their possessions a smidge.

I just think we can all agree that everyone will be rooting for the winner of this game to knock off Richmond Heights

Thanks for the clarification. Why do you have moved in quotations? Are you telling me these kids commute to Richmond Heights from Plain Township and Sharon Pa?

We shall soon see!

I have not seen Lucas play. However, McDonald played Waterloo who I do not believe has a starter under 6’2”. Two guys go 6’6” and another is 6’5”. McDonald lost both games but they were both close and McDonald could have won either game if a couple bounces go their way. Waterloo is in the final 16 in D3 and I expect them to be in the Final 8.

As far as tonight’s game goes, I agree that McDonald needs a 3rd guy to step up and score tonight. Street had 30 plus in a game earlier in the year against D2 Girard with I believe 8 or 9 3’s but he seems to have trouble getting his shots off against teams that are long since he is not very tall.
McDonald needs to move and swing the ball quickly when they get in a half court set. Carkido is a streaky shooter. He also needs to hit a couple early because he seems to lose confidence and will quit shooting if he doesn’t. This causes Rasile to try to carry too much of the load. He’s a great player but he will need help tonight from someone besides Portolese.