NCAA indoors

ccalum

What Ohio athletes have been accepted into the field at nationals?
From the Dayton area, I see Meadowdale grad Wayne Lawrence, running the 400 for Iowa (45.56)

I'm sure I'm missing some, but I recognized these names:

Abby Steiner (Dublin Coffman HS) is an obvious one in the 60 and 200 for UK.

Aziza Ayoub (Jonathan Alder HS) in the 800 for OSU.

Tyler Johnson (Dayton Stivers School for the Arts) in the 200 and 400 for OSU.

Mick Stanovsek (NDCL HS) in the mile for Washington.

Ryan Adams (CVCA HS) in the 3000 for Furman.

Kyle Mau (Hudson HS) in the 3000 for Indiana.

Matt Peare (Hoover HS) in the pole vault for UK.

I invariably miss someone when looking at these lists but on first scan of the males, Demetrius Jackson (John Adams) 200 for Akron is the only one that I noticed Mr. Slippery did not mention. I'm sure that there are others.

A few comments -

- Ryan Adams is also qualified in the mile.
- I assume that Tyler Johnson will also run a 4x4 leg for Ohio State.
- Asa Burke of Columbus East will more than likely also run a 4x4 leg for Ohio State.
- Wayne Lawrence will probably run a 4x4 leg for Iowa.
- Indiana's DMR team qualified. The time that qualified was from the Alex Wilson Invite and Kyle Mau ran a leg. I believe that Arjun Jha (TWHS) has also run on the Indiana DMR team at some point this season but I could be wrong.

What really stood out to me was that Akron did not have anyone qualify in the vault for the men. Recently that hasn't happened often.

Lists from the NCAA are also out for DII qualifiers.

Here is the men's list

I didn't take much time going through this looking for Ohioans but will later. There are a few names, though, that I noticed.

Jonte Baker (John Adams) - 60, Tiffin
Trevor Bassitt (Bluffton) - 60 hurdles, 200 & 400, 4x4, Ashland
Tim Rumas (Big Walnut) - 200, 4x4, Ashland
Josh Conrad (East Canton) - 800 Walsh
Errik Snell (Cambridge) - 60 hurdles, Tiffin
Cameron Burrows (Sandusky Perkins) - HJ, Heptathlon, Tiffin
Collin Jasin (Centerville) - PV, Tiffin
Quincy Scott (Springfield) - LJ, Tiffin
Nikolas Curtiss (Lancaster) - SP, Tiffin
Brent Fairbanks (Fitch) - Weight Throw, Ashland
Alex Hill (Madison) - Weight Throw, Ashland

I'm sure I missed some. The Ohioans at Ohio colleges are easier to pick out vs the Ohioans at college out of state. Ashland & Tiffin look like powerhouses and they both have more listed that are not Ohioans.

And the women's

Keyonna McGill (Shaker Hts) - 60, Tiffin
Maddi Yingst (Temple Christian) - 400 Ashland
Andra Lehotay (Sandy Valley) - 800, DMR, Walsh
Mackenna Curtis-Collins (Lexington) - 3000, Malone
Alexa Leppelmeier (Pettisville) - DMR, Walsh
Cassidi Bookless (Riverview) - DMR, Walsh
Bre Bakan (Marlington) - DMR, Walsh
Marisa Gwinner (Galion) - HJ, Tiffin
Ellie Jindra (Big Walnut) - HJ, Ashland
Mercedeez Francis (Trinity) - HJ, Tiffin
Lindsey Kluesener (Lakota East) - PV, Findlay
Nicole Berry (Franklin Monroe) - SP, Tiffin
Brenda Johnson (Bellefontaine) - SP, Tiffin
Hannah Hahler (Sceneca East) - SP, Findlay
Carrol Pauley (Kenton) - Weight Throw, Ashland
Gianna Dipippo (Mayfield Hts) - Weight Throw, Ashland

What's with all of the shot putters and weight throwers from Ohio?

I did not see a list of NCAA DIII qualifiers yet but TFRRS has the list of top times/marks. I don't know how many they take from those on the lists.

Men's List
Women's List

At Otterbein both Chase Hampton (Darby) & Hunter Moore (Olentangy Orange) have put in strong distance work this season but I believe that only Moore will qualify in the 3000. Mt. Union looks strong as usual.

For D2, add:
Xavier Marable (Northmont?) - 400m, Findlay
Juan Scott (Dunbar?) - 60m hurdles, Central State
Chloe Flora (Botkins) - 3000m, Lee (TN) (Began her collegiate career at U. of Dayton, no?)
Jessica Eby (Orrville) - 4x400, Grand Valley St. (MI)

I'm sure I missed some. The Ohioans at Ohio colleges are easier to pick out vs the Ohioans at college out of state. Ashland & Tiffin look like powerhouses and they both have more listed that are not Ohioans.

What's with all of the shot putters and weight throwers from Ohio?
To answer your question both Ashland and Tiffin have very good programs that are ran by highly respected coaching staffs. In terms of the throws the coaching athletes at those two programs are getting is as good as or better than most D1 track programs. Both coaches are great teachers of the events and have athletes that buy into what they are doing.

To answer your question both Ashland and Tiffin have very good programs that are ran by highly respected coaching staffs. In terms of the throws the coaching athletes at those two programs are getting is as good as or better than most D1 track programs. Both coaches are great teachers of the events and have athletes that buy into what they are doing.
Question why would you not include Findlay in that list? They have had quite a run of top throwers the last decade.

Question why would you not include Findlay in that list? They have had quite a run of top throwers the last decade.
Because the post he was responding to mentioned both Tiffin and Ashland by name as being track and field powerhouses.

There is no shortage of fine throwing programs among the DII collegiate ranks in northern Ohio. In addition to Ashland, Tiffin, and Findlay and their fine throwing programs, both Walsh and Malone have produced NCAA champions in the throws in recent years (Marcus Myers for Walsh in the 2018 Hammer outdoor and Duke Taylor for Malone in the 2017 discus outdoor).

Thanks I didn't catch that in the original post. Thought maybe he knew something that make him think more highly of those two schools.:)
No disrespect was intended with leaving Findlay out. Their head coach is an Ashland grad and has had much success coaching the throws. As was stated I was only replying to the question asked. Any school with a top five national team finish is highly successful. National championships do not grow on trees and are extremely difficult to obtain, making what these schools have done year after year all the more impressive, especially considering their student populations compared to some of the traditional national powers like Grand Valley State.

No disrespect was intended with leaving Findlay out. Their head coach is an Ashland grad and has had much success coaching the throws. As was stated I was only replying to the question asked. Any school with a top five national team finish is highly successful. National championships do not grow on trees and are extremely difficult to obtain, making what these schools have done year after year all the more impressive, especially considering their student populations compared to some of the traditional national powers like Grand Valley State.

Ashland, Tiffin, and Findlay are very good at what they do. However, a school's total enrollment isn't nearly as important as being a fully funded program and having an administration that is willing to give a coach the resources necessary to attract talent. If a coach can't put together some strong financial packages to attract talent, then a coach can't put a complete team on the track that can compete for conference championships, let alone contend for national championships.