VASJ Part Ways with Babe Kwasniak

Who will be the next VASJ Hoops HC

• Ashen Ward c/o 2008 (Orange HC, former Assistant under Babe) Played in 3 final fours as a player

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Rich Newlon (Current Lady Vikings HC, Assistant under Babe)

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Dave Wojciechowsk c/o 1990 (Harvey HC, former HC 00-10) Grbac is good friends with him

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Rollie Smith c/o 1999 (Current Assistant)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Tony Redding c/o 1989 (Former Lady Vikings HC and Assistant under Woj)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
The kid is killing it at that school. He is the kind of kid you want attending VASJ. I'm sure it's a very sensitive and personal matter that the family will work through. People forget when Babe was fired it effects many people - most importantly his children. His middle son has dreamed of being a Viking. I'm sure who they hire might play into it - but this is something that has to be worked out in private.
I did not forget the effects this has on his family, I focused on that as it was going down.I stated that this has to make his wife,son,and father uncomfortable. Just human reaction to being caught in the crosshairs of an unfortunate situation. From the sounds of it VASJ could use 200 more students just like JR.

Babe and Elvis both love golf. More business gets done on a golf course than a boardroom. Get together for 18 holes and a cocktail on the 19th! Stranger things have happened.

This is why I asked if his son would remain at the school. If they did that to my father in front of the student body as you have stated I would say EFF VASJ. So why would his son ignore that and stay because "THIS IS HIS SCHOOL"? If he does stay and continues playing BB how uncomfortable will it be for Elvis and Babe to be in the same gym,this time with Babe being a spectator? I would guess some fences need to be mended.

Well lets see how the administration snakes handle it today at the National Honor Society induction when proud parent Kwas, his wife, and grandpa are in the house.

Well lets see how the administration snakes handle it today at the National Honor Society induction when proud parent Kwas, his wife, and grandpa are in the house.
That should be a very proud moment for the family. Like to be a fly on the wall to both parties pre and post ceremony.

You talk to 10 people and get 10 opinions on the AD. Some feel he is fine, some feel he is in over his head and a bunch are in the middle. The truth is the only 2 sports in the school that have won anything in recent memory both lost their head coaches this year. I can tell you people in the loop think the school and AD have no plan on how to handle this. It will be disastrous if the basketball hiring is handled like volleyball was - just hire an assistant. This is not just some basketball program - it's one of Ohio's Elite programs and a huge beacon of pride for the school and alumni. IMO the school needs to meet with Ward ASAP - but what do I know. I have heard so much negative surrounding this that its sickening. People wonder if the football program will be treated the same way if improvement is not shown - or are they held to a different standard because Elvis is the coach. People wonder if a stud football player wants to play at Joe's if he will be brushed aside and made to attend Benedictine like several SRW 8th grade basketball players were made to do ? These are all legit questions that long time Vikings I have spoke to want answers about.

Last edited:
Do you believe that the AD is a snake?
There is general agreement, even with those who didn't like the coach, that the working culture and climate the last few years at highest levels was poor and that suspension and non renewal was handled very badly. The AD has been there for less than a year, so the majority of the blame goes to other senior members for lack of leadership and allowing infighting. So with that said, the jury is out on him because not enough information is known whether he fully supported this action and methods or if he was being told what to do and how to do it. If he was just the messenger, he should be pissed because he was made to be the fall guy for something they didn't have the courage to do on their own.

There is general agreement, even with those who didn't like the coach, that the working culture and climate the last few years at highest levels was poor and that suspension and non renewal was handled very badly. The AD has been there for less than a year, so the majority of the blame goes to other senior members for lack of leadership and allowing infighting. So with that said, the jury is out on him because not enough information is known whether he fully supported this action and methods or if he was being told what to do and how to do it. If he was just the messenger, he should be pissed because he was made to be the fall guy for something they didn't have the courage to do on their own.

Why do you keep misplacing blame? Coach Babe was on zero tolerance. He crossed the line, again, and got booted. For a military man, it should not be that hard but it was.

You talk to 10 people and get 10 opinions on the AD. Some feel he is fine, some feel he is in over his head and a bunch are in the middle. The truth is the only 2 sports in the school that have won anything in recent memory both lost their head coaches this year. I can tell you people in the loop think the school and AD have no plan on how to handle this. It will be disastrous if the basketball hiring is handled like volleyball was - just hire an assistant. This is not just some basketball program - it's one of Ohio's Elite programs and a huge beacon of pride for the school and alumni. IMO the school needs to meet with Ward ASAP - but what do I know. I have heard so much negative surrounding this that its sickening. People wonder if the football program will be treated the same way if improvement is not shown - or are they held to a different standard because Elvis is the coach. People wonder if a stud football player wants to play at Joe's if he will be brushed aside and made to attend Benedictine like several SRW 8th grade basketball players were made to do ? These are all legit questions that long time Vikings I have spoke to want answers about.
The only person wondering those things you mentioned is Coach Babe and he is the only person you are talking to. Let it go. It’s over.
We will keep you updated on what we decide to do next.

I must say, turnabout is fair play and Mugnmaul and Bball216 pulling the plug on the president of VASJ based solely on their disapproval is some pretty heavy handed stuff. I was of the understanding that you guys were told to fall in line but that clearly isn’t in your plans. Mazel tov.

The only person wondering those things you mentioned is Coach Babe and he is the only person you are talking to. Let it go. It’s over.

While you are at it let me know who you are hiring as a President as well since ours bailed.

I’m told the wheels are already in motion to have AD Grbac ascend to the president position and void the AD chair. I’m told the diocese is smitten with the moves that AD Grbac has made, including the most recent one discussed on this thread. Furthermore, there is some banter, although preliminary, about a well-liked former AD that left as a result of Coach Babe’s actions returning in a similar role. Perhaps this is the kind of shake-up that Mugnmaul clamored for?

Babe's teams/individuals had excellent grades during his tenure. Thus, why would the administration not admit many (4-5) student-athletes (kids with BB interest) into the school this past year? They certainly let in the 3 freshmen and 7 junior girl brawl that ensued today in the stairwell on the 2nd floor. There were many police at the scene. NEW, INTELLIGENT AND CARING LEADERSHIP IS NEEDED ASAP!!!!!

"Let it go. It's over"?? That's hilarious coming from a guy who let Coach Kwas live in his brain rent free for the last what, 3 or 4 years? Dude you crack me up.

I’m told the wheels are already in motion to have AD Grbac ascend to the president position and void the AD chair. I’m told the diocese is smitten with the moves that AD Grbac has made, including the most recent one discussed on this thread. Furthermore, there is some banter, although preliminary, about a well-liked former AD that left as a result of Coach Babe’s actions returning in a similar role. Perhaps this is the kind of shake-up that Mugnmaul clamored for?
Nate is coming back? Or Vance? or who is behind door #3

Either hire is a step backwards - I hope people learned exactly how bad Vance was. I think the school needs to stop retreading people and start from scratch.

"Let it go. It's over"?? That's hilarious coming from a guy who let Coach Kwas live in his brain rent free for the last what, 3 or 4 years? Dude you crack me up.
Coach Babe didn’t live in my brain rent free. No one lives rent free with me. My duplexes require prompt payment. When the rent is due you better pay.

Speaking of making them pay, I’m told Coach Babe tried some interesting legal gymnastics but fell flat on his face.

Either hire is a step backwards - I hope people learned exactly how bad Vance was. I think the school needs to stop retreading people and start from scratch.
I saw Vance at Euclid yesterday night running the show. Anybody know if he got his position back at Euclid?

What exactly was the reason that there were 3 AD's at VASJ that worked with the ex coach and not one arrangement ended well? Did the situation call for everyone to pull in the same direction and there were certain factions going rogue? Do we need the coach and AD to report directly to the president like what Jimmy Haslem does with the Browns? Maybe the coach needs to hire his own AD so they will "Row in the same direction".

What exactly was the reason that there were 3 AD's at VASJ that worked with the ex coach and not one arrangement ended well? Did the situation call for everyone to pull in the same direction and there were certain factions going rogue? Do we need the coach and AD to report directly to the president like what Jimmy Haslem does with the Browns? Maybe the coach needs to hire his own AD so they will "Row in the same direction".
They didn’t end well because Coach Babe believed he was beyond reproach. Despite the public facade, the private antics were mounting and the file that would ultimately be his demise swelling.

Also, one of those ADs and Coach Babe decided to place sewn on patches on the jerseys which caused a permanent stain on the basketball program.

You are treating all 3 AD's the same. The first 5 years of the first AD went well, until there was a falling out of friends, including the Mean Girls. The 2nd AD was just a bad hire and bad fit for our school that even left our friends at Euclid High perplexed on why we hired him without vetting him. Believe it or not, of all the coaches, Kwas probably had the best relationship with him. Everyone had a problem with AD#2 including parents and coaches. Just a square peg in a round hole. The current AD worked well with Kwas this year. It is unclear what his stance really was with the non renewal, if he was just the messenger or the main driver. At the moment, I am leaning toward the former.

Last edited:
You are treating all 3 AD's the same. The first 5 years of the first AD went well, until there was a falling out of friends, including the Mean Girls. The 2nd AD was just a bad hire and bad fit for our school that even left our friends at Euclid High perplexed on why we hired him without vetting him. Believe it or not, of all the coaches, Kwas probably had the best relationship with him. Everyone had a problem with AD#2 including parents and coaches. Just a square peg in a round hole. The current AD worked well with Kwas this year. It is unclear what his stance really was with the non renewal, if he was just the messenger or the main driver. At the moment, I am leaning toward the later.
Mean Girls????:LOL: Is that the crew that Brush Arc rolls with???? The ones who have been gunning for the ex coach for the last few years? Just asking of course.

Mean Girls????:LOL: Is that the crew that Brush Arc rolls with???? The ones who have been gunning for the ex coach for the last few years? Just asking of course.

Yep, because these grown men with wives and children, so called pillars of the community, harassed and bullied Coach and his wife relentlessly on social media for the last 3 or 4 years like little girls. At first Coach blocked them and then they went on Yappi and other forums. Take a look at their old yappi posts and twitter feeds, including the most recent parody account (before they delete them), which by the way was followed and promoted by 2 current VASJ administrators who feed the trolls their intel, and you will see what I mean.

Yep, because these grown men with wives and children, so called pillars of the community, harassed and bullied Coach and his wife relentlessly on social media for the last 3 or 4 years like little girls. At first Coach blocked them and then they went on Yappi and other forums. Take a look at their old yappi posts and twitter feeds, including the most recent parody account (before they delete them), which by the way was followed and promoted by 2 current VASJ administrators who feed the trolls their intel, and you will see what I mean.
Wow! That is a pretty lofty accusation. Cyberbullying by adults. Do you have any proof of this?

So what you are saying is that Coach Babe was brought down by a bunch of internet vigilantes seeking justice and revenge and not his own actions? I don't claim to have any inside intelligence from administrators that are risking their jobs to feed me sensitive information, but I have to guess that it was more than some internet activities that led to his firing.

Wow! That is a pretty lofty accusation. Cyberbullying by adults. Do you have any proof of this?

Yep, feel free to look it up. Or better yet, maybe you can meet the Mean Girls at an area watering hole and they can show you the posts..........that is if they are allowed back, lol.

Last edited: