Malvern vs Hiland D IV East District final @ New Philadelphia

Malvern has a real nice team this year.
But, I believe it would take a perfect game to knock off Hiland.
Hiland is on all cylinders right now.

Looking forward to this one, but good friendships have to be set aside for a couple hours. Lol.

It will be a war. Hope we dont need a 47 footer at the buzzer this time because Joel Gause is now a pharmacist.

According to schedules, it looks like there was only ONE game. (At Hiland)
Both are in the IVC, but my guess is that they are in different divisions.

12/27 TBA
Hiland (Berlin, OH)

• Box Score
Hiland 58 - Malvern 45

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/hiland-hawks-(berlin,oh)/basketball/schedule.htm

https://hilandathletics.com/teams/2719338/boys/basketball/varsity/schedule
That is correct. Hiland is in the South division with Ridgewood, Buckeye Trail, Garaway, Claymont, Indian Valley, and Newcomerstown. Malvern is in the North division with Tusky Valley, Sandy Valley, Tusky CC, Strasburg, East Canton, and Conotton Valley. Only games within a team's division count in the league standings. Crossover games are scheduled voluntarily. The league also holds an end of season showcase where the #1 teams in each division face other, #2 face other, and so on, but the two teams did not face other in the showcase. Malvern had an OT loss to Ridgewood who was co-champ in the South division while Hiland avenged a regular season loss to Tusky Valley.

This game is going to sell out either get your ticket on line or at the schools if I didn't have a ticket I wouldn't go still some left right now

Can the Hornets upset the Hawks to go to Athens?
Sure they can. In the first game I think Browning was out and Den was called for a tech at a very inopportune time. Plus, that game was at Hiland and the Hornets seem to struggle playing there.

I looked up the all-time series numbers. It favors Hiland 78-14. In the last 20 years there have probably been a dozen games where I thought the Hornets would/should win, but they would under-perform or something weird would happen. In one of the strangest - at New Philly - Malvern beat them up for more than 3 quarters and led big by 18 or something. Hiland got a follow up dunk and from then on it was all Hawks and they won it at the end.

The point is that when the Hornets believe and know they can win, they will.

Read that Tucci got a tech again tonight. Congrats to the Hawks...I honestly thought it would be a real struggle to win this district and make it back to Athens going into the tournament. They made it look easier than they have in years this season. I’m guessing the regional will be more challenging this season though than it was the prior two for Hiland.

This time the tech didnt really matter. Sometimes a team will surge after their coach gets a T. It was worth a try - if that's what he was trying to do. He may have just been frustrated. The Hawks D was stingy tonight.

For what its worth my assessment of the game last evening. It was the first time of seeing both teams play this year. the vibe I took from the atmosphere. Hiland expected to win, while Malvern had hoped to win. I thought Malvern came out tight, while Hiland looked loose and jumped out to an early 7-0 lead. Malvern trimmed it to 9-7, then Hiland scored 6 straight and never looked back. I thought Malvern had some decent looks against Hiland's tight defense, shot's wouldn't fall. Hiland made the most out of every possession. When Hiland was up 15, it felt like they were up by 30. I was hoping Malvern would get it going but it didn't happen. Great crowd and atmosphere in New Philly gym. Having said that, I think New Philly's gym needs an update.

Sponsored by our friends at Dan's Wholesale Carpet & Flooring for all your carpet and flooring needs!

ICYMI: The D4 East District ?

Watch Malvern vs. Hiland with a trip to regionals on the line!

Greg Triplett & Tyrone Miller with the call.

The Manor Restaurant - Strasburg, Ohio POTG: Sam Habeger