Streaming TV services

IDK if it’s worth it. ESPN+ doesn’t offer much, and Hulu doesn’t really have anything that would peak my interest enough to spend $14/month.
There’s a lot of garbage on NFLX, but their good content is high end. I’ve been a Prime member long before Prime Video even had original content. However, Prime probably has the 2nd best platform for original content after NFLX.
Disney plus, ESPN plus and hulu is 12.99/month. Disney plus I think is 6.99.

Ill be doing the bundle as I think Hulu will keep me entertained enough

Negative.
Switching to Spetrum pay by gig so ill be at $15/month....
We did something similar recently. Had been on Republic wireless for talk and text with no data for $20 /month per line. My son lives in Indy and is on Comcast, which offers Xfinity by the gig and up to five lines. You get free unlimited talk and text but must purchase one GB of data for $12 that can be shared, making five lines less than $3 per line before fees and taxes. The real kicker is it uses Verizon network so much improved quality over Republics patchwork system of multiple carriers that still has massive holes when traveling.

The second part of this was to drop home phone from Spectrum (already had dropped cable awhile back) which was $20 per month. We use one extra line from Xfinity with our home phone number and a nifty cell to handset device that "forwards" calls from the cell to multiple handsets throughout the house that are cordless and just as clear as the old home line through Spectrum was.

So all told, still have a home phone using old phone number while getting unlimited talk and text through Xfinity and have 1gb of data that we give to our son since he signed us up. The savings per month from not having Republic wireless is a net $57 / month and savings from Spectrum cancellation of home phone is $20 / month for a total of $77 saved per month.

Initial cost to switch was $108 for cell to handset system, and had to purchase a Motorola G7 Power for $150 through Xfinity for the additional cell phone to take the home line number. $258 initial cost will take a mere 4 months to recover through savings then after depreciating Motorola phone over expected 3 year life we should net about $73 per month actual savings.

I recommend people look into mesh WiFi systems from Google/Nest, Eero, or Netgear. You’ll spend a little more but the performance increase is worth it.

Have to 2nd this as an excellent investment. Went with the Google Mesh. We have 4 TVs hooked up only to fire sticks in a 2-story + finished basement and no problems.

We stream everything...… only I can't comment on any of the services you guys are talking about...… "Arrrrgggg wez not be pay'n any service fees matey!" :D

Have to 2nd this as an excellent investment. Went with the Google Mesh. We have 4 TVs hooked up only to fire sticks in a 2-story + finished basement and no problems.

We stream everything...… only I can't comment on any of the services you guys are talking about...… "Arrrrgggg wez not be pay'n any service fees matey!" :D

How does it work? Does it still connect into the cable line? I’m other words how does the internet get to the Google device.

How does it work? Does it still connect into the cable line? I’m other words how does the internet get to the Google device.

It's basically an advanced router system. Instead of one router/access point, mesh uses nodes placed around the house to facilitate much better coverage.

^^^ what he said

We have 1 TV in the living room, 3 bedroom TVs upstairs & 1 in the basement (that's 5... my math was bad)…. Before with just the standard router, all the TVs not in the living room would buffer at times especially streaming sports. With the Mesh (3 pods) its no issue. 1 by the living room TV, 1 at the top of the stairs landing and 1 in the kitchen by the stairs to the basement.

Fish, you can copy and paste my comments if it makes others feel more comfortable. Just next time you're down home drop off a consulting check. :D

It's not my fault people look to me lol.

And yes, I'd be happy to hook you up next time I pass by. I'm not driving all the way down there though...you have to meet me at the exit. ;)

It's not my fault people look to me lol.

Its because of that pipe you're sucking on...… (insert The Office's "That's What She Said")

And yes, I'd be happy to hook you up next time I pass by. I'm not driving all the way down there though...you have to meet me at the exit. ;)

Dang, I live by Hocking Hills now. That'll be a haul.... but doable (insert The Office's "That's What She Said")

It's basically an advanced router system. Instead of one router/access point, mesh uses nodes placed around the house to facilitate much better coverage.

So you still need an internet provider.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the devices you’re talking about, just thought you maybe meant something different.

Its because of that pipe you're sucking on...… (insert The Office's "That's What She Said")

Dang, I live by Hocking Hills now. That'll be a haul.... but doable (insert The Office's "That's What She Said")

Hocking Hills??? Damn dude, you join a militia or something? LOL

^^^ what he said

We have 1 TV in the living room, 3 bedroom TVs upstairs & 1 in the basement (that's 5... my math was bad)…. Before with just the standard router, all the TVs not in the living room would buffer at times especially streaming sports. With the Mesh (3 pods) its no issue. 1 by the living room TV, 1 at the top of the stairs landing and 1 in the kitchen by the stairs to the basement.
I’m getting crazy speeds with mesh, certainly makes streaming so much better

NBC thinks ‘free’ will make Peacock streaming service stand out

There’s a free version, a $5-a-month version with lots more stuff and a $10 option to remove ads. The prices are in line with what many rival services charge. The $5 version will be free for 24 million households that get TV subscriptions through Cox, or either TV or internet through Comcast. Those customers can pay $5 a month to remove ads.

NBCUniversal hopes to position Peacock as broader than the other major streaming services already out there. It will soon offer news, sports and reality TV along with shows and movies — just like a traditional broadcast TV network, but with fewer ads, at five minutes an hour.

I didn't realize this before... ESPN+ includes UFC PPV so that's a pretty big benefit on it's own

edit:
Nevermind... Separate bundle... Reddit it is

Last edited:
So...just heard that youtube TV is losing the rights to Regional Fox Sports channels. One of the reasons I went that way. What now???????

So...just heard that youtube TV is losing the rights to Regional Fox Sports channels. One of the reasons I went that way. What now???????

This is a huge deal, the only reason most folks still have live TV is for sports and Fox knows this. Their rights fees went up big time and youtube didn't want to absorb the majority of this increase. They can pass along only so much to the subscribers before they ditch it and find it some other way to watch the games.

TV Sports should be a right and not a source of income for Billionaires!

1*Tj07LXmWViVAvreXLgfCdQ.jpeg

This is a huge deal, the only reason most folks still have live TV is for sports and Fox knows this. Their rights fees went up big time and youtube didn't want to absorb the majority of this increase. They can pass along only so much to the subscribers before they ditch it and find it some other way to watch the games.
It is not Fox - it is the a-holes at Sinclair, who now own the Regional Fox Sports networks. They are jacking up the price everywhere, trying to force people to go back to cable.

Once I get through college basketball season, I am going to cut my Sling Orange and go with my antenna, Amazon Prime and Netflix until football season comes back. Heck, I may just stick with the same plan after football picks back up.