VASJ Part Ways with Babe Kwasniak

Who will be the next VASJ Hoops HC

• Ashen Ward c/o 2008 (Orange HC, former Assistant under Babe) Played in 3 final fours as a player

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Rich Newlon (Current Lady Vikings HC, Assistant under Babe)

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Dave Wojciechowsk c/o 1990 (Harvey HC, former HC 00-10) Grbac is good friends with him

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Rollie Smith c/o 1999 (Current Assistant)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Tony Redding c/o 1989 (Former Lady Vikings HC and Assistant under Woj)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

C'Town216

VASJ has made it official and has parted ways with Babe Kwasniak ending his contract effective immediately according to the press release. This will mark the first coaching search since 2010 when Dave Wojciechowski was let go. This will be a heavy applied position when the search begins at the end of the week. Just yesterday VASJ suspended Kwasniak yesterday due to unprofessional attitude towards an administrator.

5364A89C-BEB1-4E80-A5D5-7077A960DA8D.png

Last edited:

Let the speculation begin - who do you think gets it or who do you want. This is one of the premier programs in Ohio. The candidates should be pretty solid.

Let the speculation begin - who do you think gets it or who do you want. This is one of the premier programs in Ohio. The candidates should be pretty solid.
Let us hope that the one of the candidates and eventual hire is a MAN that is currently a head coach at the school.

Disclaimer: All speculation at this point and this is not an official list. All theoretical candidates hold connections to the school that Grbac said he was looking for:

Possible in house hires:

Rich Newlon currently serves as the girls BBall coach and former assistant under Kwasniak.

Tony Redding former girls HC and St.Joes standout who also served as an assistant under Wojciechowski for several seasons. Still serves as a teacher at the school.

Rollie Smith assistant under Kwasniak and former Viking standout in the late 90’s.

Possible out of house hires:

Matt Moran current Lake Catholic HC, son of legendary St.Joes/JCU HC Mike Moran.

Ashen Ward current Orange HC former standout who played in 3 final fours and 1 title game under Woj as well as an assistant for a couple of seasons under Kwasniak.

Dave Wojciechowski current Harvey HC and former VASJ HC for over 10 years. Led VASJ to a runner up finish in 06 as well as Final Four births in 07, & 08. Could a possible reunion happen?

Last edited:
Disclaimer: All speculation at this point and this is not an official list. All theoretical candidates hold connections to the school.

Possible in house hires:

Rich Newlon currently serves as the girls BBall coach and former assistant under Kwasniak.

Tony Redding former girls BBall coach who served as an assistant under Wojciechowski for several seasons.

Rollie Smith assistant under Kwasniak and former Viking standout.

Possible out of house hires:

Matt Moran current Lake Catholic HC son of legendary St.Joes/JCU HC Mike Moran.

Ashen Ward current Orange HC former standout who played in 3 final fours and 1 title game under Woj as well as an assistant for a couple of seasons under Kwasniak

Dave Wojciechowski current Harvey HC and former VASJ HC for over 10 years. Led VASJ to a runner up finish in 06 as well as Final Four births in 07, & 08. Could a possible reunion happen?
What the !@#$ is your problem. Woj has already had his time and "we don't need no stinking LC badges". Why do you always kiss those two coaches asses? You make little sense.

What the !@#$ is your problem. Woj has already had his time and "we don't need no stinking LC badges". Why do you always kiss those two coaches asses? You make little sense.

I have no problem sir, there is a reason I put a disclaimer that it’s all speculation. No need for hostility whatsoever. These are realistic possible candidates that align with Grbac’s criteria of having the “VASJ connection” that he is looking for plus you can’t rule out anything at this point especially with Woj and Grbac being close friends and former teammates on the basketball court, and that it could be possible. Do I think it will happen? No, I think he stays where he is at. But we all have seen crazy happen at some point, honestly who saw Grbac coming back and replacing Vance and Sowers? Whoever the coach is I don’t care who they are as long as they are qualified and represents the school well and not look like a jackass, I’m still gonna support the team just as I did when Woj was here, when Kwas was here and who ever is brought in as the successor.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about what I was going to say about this all day. First off Thank You Babe. Having a son who went through the program I cannot express my gratitude for how Coach and his staff developed my child. Was I always 100% in agreement - NO. Do I wish he played more and was given more opportunities - Yes . But it's hard to argue with the kid that came in as a freshman to the one who left as a senior.

That being said this situation did not happen overnight. This did not happen because of one bad season. It did not help however that the Vikings had their worst season in 15 years or more in the new ADs first season in Viking Village. The AD was correct - the team did not improve this year and the way they lost was as bad as some of the teams they lost to. The chippy play, unreal amounts of technical fouls, poor body language and at times the inability to execute basic basketball fundamentals was on full display this year for all to see - including the administration.

When you throw in the off the court drama that has gone on and off since 2016 which came to a head this season - it was a recipe for change. Grbac told all the coaches what he expected prior to the season in a very stright forward meeting at the start of the school year. When the volleyball coach was let go after many years of service and success it set everyone on notice they Elvis was serious.

Babe had one hell of a 10 year run - but this year was just as "toxic" as a season can be. We heard the rumors pre season that this could be rough after the results from the scrimmages started trickling in. Normally I dont pay attention to those results but it was coming from people I respect and who know hoops. The season started with a loss to rival Euclid and ended with a round one playoff loss at home to 5 win Edgewood. In between you had two losses for the first time to Lake, and multiple blowout losses to Benny, Gilmore, Iggy, Ed's, Mentor, etc. There was suspensions and finally an expulsion on top of that. It was not hard to view things from the eyes of the AD that things were unraveling. There was also the usual tension between the coach and school administration that always seemed to be circulating around since 2016. I sit in the stands with several of you and you all know the talk that was going around.

In closing I'm glad (as is my son) that he went through the program. Viking Village is a special place and always will be. Babe did not make Viking Village - it made him. While I like others will miss Babe - I to wont miss the drama and constant negativity from outsiders who have been relentless in their bashing of coach and the program. The program will rise and will become elite again very quickly and my family and I will be there to support it. Elvis has stated he will look to hire a person with VASJ ties. I hope whoever they hire still values the top neighborhood talent yet still uses the power of the VASJ tradition to bring in talent that has chosen to go elsewhere recently. I'm not worried about Babe - he will land on his feet and somebody will take a chance on a coach with his credentials. Thank You again for all you did coach to restore the Viking tradition and here is to hoping the next coach takes the ball and keeps it going. Go Vikings !!!!!

I’ll say this and I’ll repost this on the VASJ Basketball thread:

Despite all the behind the scenes drama that was taking place ever since he took a leave of absence, he did help the program go places it hasn’t seen in years. Being able to witness 3 state titles during that time frame is something I won’t forget. Seeing the talent develop to get to the pinnacle was unbelievable and something we probably won’t see again. That 2015 class was a once in a lifetime class. He did leave his mark and as I mentioned I do have strong opinions regarding Babe, but he did a lot of good during his time but I knew something felt off after 2013 and just got worst as time went. But I also have to agree with Elvis that each coach must live up to expectations and at the end of the road everything just came crumbling all at once and the fiasco that took place Saturday leading up to his suspension was the final straw. Despite my loss of respect for Babe, I genuinely do wish Babe the best of luck in his next adventure wherever it may be, I’m sure he will find a coaching job soon.

A great coach who has his warts. You do feel for the guy when he says "All I wanted to do was to coach my boys." While he still might get the chance to do it, what he really wanted was to coach them as Vikings. If he really does want to coach again, and it sounds like he does, I think he will have no problem finding one...even with the red flags that come with him. Three state titles for his first coaching gig is not too shabby. I wonder if he prefers to stay in a Catholic program or is willing to head East to a public school to replace a legendary coach that he looks up to.

That would be fun to watch and to see what the the former Joes HFC, who quit, and the “slow poke” attorney, who is still trying to figure out why he can’t get on any rides at cedar point, will post.
it is socially unacceptable to insult others physical appearances when they don't conform to your standards. You may need sensitivity training:D

This hire is very important. Either the program will gain new life and elevate from where Babe left off - or it will level out and just another basketball program that used to be steep in tradition. Elvis needs to really hit a home run on this hire.

This hire is very important. Either the program will gain new life and elevate from where Babe left off - or it will level out and just another basketball program that used to be steep in tradition. Elvis needs to really hit a home run on this hire.
Very true. The good thing is that this should be a highly prized coaching position at one of the programs on the the Mount Rushmore of Ohio High school Basketball. Hopefully the search will be all inclusive.

I agree, however I trust that Elvis will make the best choice and that person being qualified for an elite caliber program who can continue to elevate the success of the basketball program.

James x2

Today at 3:54 PM

Sadly I feel that this situation has evolved into a case of denial and finger pointing. This will not change history ,nor will it change the decisions of the powers that be. Continuing on this path of destructiveness will lead to fruitless hand wringing teeth gnashing ,and outbursts of anger. Sour grapes and playing the blame game serves no one . I have had no ill will towards this former coach. I have had no bearing on his decisions, courses of action, and interactions with the administration at VASJ. No bearing on the decision to remove him from his position as coach at VASJ. Nothing but love for VASJ. And nothing but love for the championships and great success this school has enjoyed under the leadership of this former coach. But sometimes with great success, staying at the top of the mountain is much more elusive than the initial climb to get there. And sometimes great success especially in situations where you are carrying on a legacy of great success can yield pressures that make even the greatest of leaders crack. I believe that this is what has happened here. Lets all come together in these trying times and remember that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than whats on the back. No one coach,administrator, student,alumni, or fan of this institution is greater than the rest who came before or will come after . Looking forward to a fresh start and a return to the rightful perch VASJ basketball should reside on. Hail Red & Blue!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Good luck St J. What an incredible program. I’m kinda of sad for this ending. May the very best coach be hired, not the biggest BS er.

I'm actually more shocked by his absence then I am that Babe was let go. When I heard the news about Babe I dreaded coming on the site - because of that moron.

There are not many people inside or outside of the school that are upset about the non-renewal of the contract.
[/QUOTE]Saw the team play a couple times on visits to Cleveland and in the State Tournament. Wasn't overly impressed given their talent when they beat very small public schools. Have heard he had an ego that struggled to get in the doorway. True?