Officials pay?

LEONARD

Just curious, how much are Officials paid? looked all over OHSAA's website and can't find any definitive answers.

Thavoice is correct. I'm a little outdated but 10 or 15 years ago it was around 50 or 60 bucks for a varsity game in southwest Ohio. I'm sure someone can provide a more current number

Typically it's between $65-75 per varsity contest.

Tournament assignments are higher depending whether or not it is a Regional Contest, a State Semi Final Contest, or a State Final. In tourney contests officials are reimbursed for mileage at the rate of $1 for every mile traveled over 50 miles, one way.

I know you believe football isn’t played in Kentucky, but we get $75 for regular season Varsity games and $45 for Frehsmen and JV games. Depending if you are covering a game in your region they’ll pay one person “mileage”, usually $15 or so extra.
The further an official advances in the playoffs the more money per game.

As far as fans....I would think FB you would hear much less gruff than in the others

I do football, basketball, and baseball. Football is the easiest in terms of the crowd and coaches. Basketball is the worst.

As AS12 said, $65 is probably the floor for varsity sports and also the most common. I hear that other states are around $100 but some are also lower than ours.

To the OP, we need officials in all sports, so let us know if you are interested!

NOT FREAKING ENOUGH.

I can't imagine what you would have to pay me to do that thankless job and put up with the folks in the stands and some of the coaches.

thankless job? the game isn’t about the refs. The refs work together in what, a tandem of 9 to watch the game? it’s definitely difficult to an extent, but don’t act like you are putting your life on the line or anything like that. don’t let football refs turn into basketball refs where it is all about them.

thankless job? the game isn’t about the refs. The refs work together in what, a tandem of 9 to watch the game? it’s definitely difficult to an extent, but don’t act like you are putting your life on the line or anything like that. don’t let football refs turn into basketball refs where it is all about them.

9??? I wish.

Watch the game? Little more involved than that.

All about them? Any good official will tell you the best game is where they are not even noticed.

Response to ignorant post? Try it some time

9??? I wish.

All about them? Any good official will tell you the best game is where they are not even noticed.

Makes me think of some of the "fans" that can see a play better from 30 yards away in the stands than the official two yards away.

Reactions: bb9

Remarkably, you don't realize that your response makes my very point. Well done, even if inadvertently. Thanks.

Also, tandem refers to two, not nine.

Different sport and state but wrestling officials in South Carolina earn $5.00 a bout. In dual matches as long as a kid has their hand raised it counts as a bout. So in one night an official can earn $70.00 for a single dual. That dual may last an hour lets say. Factor in weigh ins an hour before start time and in theory they can make $35.00 / hour. Not too shabby.

For multi-team large weekend invitational tournaments it is not unheard of for a wrestling official down here to walk away with $400.00 in pay for a weekend's worth of work. Now that's a lot of getting down on the mat and getting up off the mat BUT $400.00 isn't chump change.

We have some former HWC's down here turned officials who comment that they should have given up coaching sooner and gotten into officiating because they a.) make more money an b.) have 10x fewer the headaches.

You've never stood behind a pair of linebackers in a 3-4 set, dodged a lead blocker and had to get out of the way of a ballcarrier on a draw play, while making sure you don't get stuck by a defensive back coming up behind you have you? It's not life or death by any standpoint, but guys get hit and hurt more than you'd think

9??? I wish.

Okay i was a little off with 9, but there are 7 in NFL and College and at least 5 in high school.

It would also be nice if every official was that way. There are plenty who aren’t.

I would gladly pay more for a ticket or contribute somehow so they have a better payday but I would also like to see OHSAA reach into their pocket a little bit too and address training and improve competency. But all they do is ***ch to us, the customer, about keeping our mouths shut and just be thankful for whoever they throw out there. There is admittedly a problem on both ends, and it needs addressed on both ends not just one. Can't do things on the cheap and still expect quality.

As TP stated, the decline in competency over the past few years has to be entered into the value of an official. At $65 a game, most refs are grossly overpaid; some are straight stealing the cash.

Jerk answer for sure. Take officials away, then see what happens.

Jerk answer for sure. Take officials away, then see what happens.

Lol I’m not saying officials are horrible people or suck at their job, but you act like officials make perfect calls every game. You could replace a competent official with an incompetent one and not see much change. The better team wins every given night, very very rarely do refs have a say on the winner if they are calling the game fairly. For example, people say the refs cost Ohio State the game against Clemson. I am a HUGE Ohio State homer, but Ohio State cost themselves the game by kicking field goals every time they got in the red zone instead of scoring touchdowns. Turn just ONE of those red zone trips into a touchdown, and they are kicking a field goal to send the game to overtime instead of Fields throwing an interception trying to tie the game up.

I believe High School refs should be paid more. I would hope it would get more people interested in doing the job. Maybe it could make it more competitive for crews to get Friday night games, thus having them be more eager to get even better

Basketball officials make 70-75 for varsity contests. Pretty good $ for an hour and half in a temperature controlled environment. No rain, snow, wind, or hot weather to deal with although you'll here every complaint from the stands all night long.

Basketball officials make 70-75 for varsity contests. Pretty good $ for an hour and half in a temperature controlled environment. No rain, snow, wind, or hot weather to deal with although you'll here every complaint from the stands all night long.

We are supposed to arrive at 6 and usually leave around 9-9:30. And make $65-70