More playoff teams expected under new NFL CBA

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
If and when a transformational collective bargaining agreement is finalized -- and there is now mounting optimism it could be done sometime in the next week -- it is expected to change the NFL's playoff structure as it is currently constituted for next season, league sources told ESPN.

Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams from each conference, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team and the preseason shortened to three games per team, sources said.

So, they are also seriously negotiating a 17th game. Yes sir, that Roger Goodell has player safety at the top of his list. Freaking hypocrite.

Wonder how they schedule the 17th game? Schedules are already set aren’t they? Do they just pick random matchups for week 17? Do you expand roster because of a longer season?

Wonder how they schedule the 17th game? Schedules are already set aren’t they? Do they just pick random matchups for week 17? Do you expand roster because of a longer season?
Good question.

I would think it has to be the same across the board, either against your conference, or against the other conference, for tiebreaker sakes.

This is how I would do it. AFC vs NFC.
Each division goes against the same in the other conference, and like in the AFC if you finish 1st, you go against the 1st in the corresponding.

That is how they would do it if I had to guess

Good question.

I would think it has to be the same across the board, either against your conference, or against the other conference, for tiebreaker sakes.

This is how I would do it. AFC vs NFC.
Each division goes against the same in the other conference, and like in the AFC if you finish 1st, you go against the 1st in the corresponding.

That is how they would do it if I had to guess
So in your scenario the 17th game would have the Steelers/ Vikings? Is that what you’re saying?

So in your scenario the 17th game would have the Steelers/ Vikings? Is that what you’re saying?
Whatever division they are set up with so if it was North Vs North then yeah, I suppose. Each year it rotates what division you are stacked up against, like it does now for the full division you face AFC/NFC.

I dont know if it was speculation or not but there was some talk about making the 17th game as a neutral field.

You are asking for tie breaker nightmares I think if you have some teams playing 12 Conference games, and some 13 so make them all against the other conference.

19 week season
17 games
2 exhibition games
1 scrimmage between NFL teams
Six games against divisional opponents — two games per team, one at home and one on the road.
Four games against teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road.
Four games against teams from a division in the other conference— two games at home and two on the road.
Twogames against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road.;
One game against team from other conference.
Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.

I vote for all week 17 games to be in London.

This was actually the first thought that came into my head when I heard the proposal. The NFL is probably licking their chops for this to get approved so they can then announce that the 17th game will be a neutral site london game.

Sounds like the NFLPA isn't in the boat. Unless the owners want to to figure out the game 17 pay for the max players and come to a 50/50 revenue split, none of it is happening.

Adding a playoff team in each conference? Not really necessary, but I'm okay with it.

Adding a 17th regular season game? No way. The season is long enough already. Sixteen games is just fine.

Sounds like the NFLPA isn't in the boat. Unless the owners want to to figure out the game 17 pay for the max players and come to a 50/50 revenue split, none of it is happening.
They had two former player reps on this morning and both stated they felt it was a pretty good deal.
Jump 1.5% for revenue and other things and stated it was pretty good and this helps a vast majority of the players, most in the bottom half in the salaries. Those speaking out against it, Sherman, Watt, etc already have their generational wealth and DGAF about those young players who are up and out of the league in 2-3 years.

Believe it bumped min salaries by 100K.

Do you all remember the last time there was two bye weeks?

It lasted for just 1, maybe 2, seasons as it was not well liked. Now, with that extra game then it may work better.......

Doubt they ever get the 50/50 split....they would have to go on strike for that to happen.

Few of the players/ext players that stated they liked what they saw were getting chastized by Sherman, and when someone asked to to enlighten everyone as to why it isnt a good deal for players he would not give any specifics